Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-09-2003, 10:38 PM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Horns hook spot in College World Series

Link

Horns hook spot in College World Series
06/10/2003

Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Huston Street recorded his 12th postseason save as defending national champion Texas eliminated top-seeded Florida State 6-5 Monday night, giving coach Augie Garrido an NCAA record 1,428 career coaching victories.

Garrido, who has coached four national championship teams – three at Cal State-Fullerton – eclipsed former Texas coach Cliff Gustafson.

Last year's College World Series MVP with four saves, Street struck out three of the first five hitters he faced and got Tony Richie to ground back to the mound with two runners on base to end the game.

Richie had driven in three runs for the Seminoles, including one with his 12th home run of the season. His seventh inning single scored Tony McQuade for the game's final run.

Taylor Teagarden and Curtis Thigpen homered on successive pitches in the third inning as the Longhorns (48-18) grabbed a 5-2 lead, sending Florida State starter Matt Lynch (13-4) to his earliest exit of the season.

Lynch, who came into the game with a 42-7 career record at Florida State, had been bothered in recent days with a blister on his pitching hand, but told coaches he was OK to make the critical start.

J. Brent Cox (6-0) pitched three innings of middle relief after taking over for starter Justin Simmons.

Texas will meet Miami on Saturday in its first-round CWS game at Omaha, Neb.

Florida State (54-14-1), which has never won a CWS title, has been eliminated in three straight Super Regional tournaments, including the last two at home as the NCAA's top-seeded team.

Sophomore shortstop Stephen Drew, the Seminoles' leadoff hitter, did not play because of a hamstring injury suffered in Sunday night's game when he slipped rounding second base.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:53 PM   #2

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough

WTG texas!
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 12:41 AM   #3
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Awesome. Hook 'em.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:52 AM   #4
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Horns hook spot in College World Series

man, i have a dilemma every time i see a freaking longhorns hat. they have a cool logo, and probably THE best color (that burnt orange)... so i want to get the hat. but i'm not from texas, and i don't want to look like i give a rat's ass about UT, so I don't buy the hat.

ok, back to your longhorn talk. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2003, 08:52 AM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Hook em'! Glad they have the chance to repeat. Should be lot's of fun.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:03 PM   #6
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

i'm glad ut and stanford are in separate brackets, so i can root for both until the finals. if they do meet, i'm gonna have to root agains the horns though...