Pretty darn excited. I plan to make some time to watch games and cheer 8 47.06%
Cautiously excited. Let's see how we come out of the gates 2 11.76%
Suspicious. I want to see some good things before I will care. 0 0%
Not excited at all. 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #1
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs were fourth in the league in generating open looks. Luka passing the ball isn't the issue. Other teams have players with similar usage rates and are true contenders (76ers & Embiid; Bucks & Giannis).

Our biggest issue is pretty clear. We don't generate easy shots at the rim. We take way too many threes despite not having elite shooters. We don't have a roll man because KP isn't comfortable in the paint and Powell isn't the same player he was pre-achilles.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #2
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Mavs were fourth in the league in generating open looks. Luka passing the ball isn't the issue. Other teams have players with similar usage rates and are true contenders (76ers & Embiid; Bucks & Giannis).

Our biggest issue is pretty clear. We don't generate easy shots at the rim. We take way too many threes despite not having elite shooters. We don't have a roll man because KP isn't comfortable in the paint and Powell isn't the same player he was pre-achilles.
But what type of open looks are these players getting? I don't say that as a knock to Luka but if they are low percentage shots then what good are they?

It seems like the only thing this offense is good for is racking up stats for Luka. I just don't know how this is a winning formula. I said the same thing about a James Harden lead team.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #3
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
But what type of open looks are these players getting? I don't say that as a knock to Luka but if they are low percentage shots then what good are they?

It seems like the only thing this offense is good for is racking up stats for Luka. I just don't know how this is a winning formula. I said the same thing about a James Harden lead team.

You have to know this is beyond a stretch. Luka is getting his teammates good looks and they aren’t hitting. Period. It’s what the stats say and it’s what my eyes tell me. This would be fine if his teammates were elite defenders, but they’re not.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:42 PM   #4
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
You have to know this is beyond a stretch. Luka is getting his teammates good looks and they aren’t hitting. Period. It’s what the stats say and it’s what my eyes tell me. This would be fine if his teammates were elite defenders, but they’re not.
That's what i'm asking though. Why are his teammates not hitting shots? Am I to believe they can't hit open shots?

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 06-08-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #5
Heezzi

Heezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to all

Quote:

76ers have Curry & Green shooting threes. Mavs only have THJ.
Heezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:03 AM   #6
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Agree with the first part, but the last part isn't true. No one else is even close in terms of usage rate. Which then can impact the ability of others to get into a rhythm. Recall the game in which he set the NBA record (all time) for percentage of points accounted for via scoring or assists. He not only does he have the ball in his hands every single possession (Embid and Giannis don't)...he keeps it in his hands longer than other players, as well. You would need to look at usage rates of other PG's, especially those considered high usage (Lillard, Harden, etc), and he is MUCH higher than any of those as well.

Quote:
Yep, definitely agree with this. Given that I don't think we are going to have a massive roster turn-over, RC has his work cut out for him. The others aren't going to suddenly become able to do that on their own, so he has to work on them getting to the rim more aggressively without the ball (said roll game, but that's not the only way). Even just getting into position for mid range shots rather than 3's. Yes, the game is moving towards 3's (well, has moved, not moving), but that doesn't mean that's what you should do, even if you're not good at it.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jack.kerr aucks