Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #921
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
My current biggest fear re: Dallas ability to get Gortat (if they still want him) is that Orlando does something retarded like trading for Arenas (in light of rumors that have the Magic exploring that possibility). I can't believe any team in the NBA would take on Gilbert's contract unless they were forced to do so at gunpoint (cue nervous laughter), but really I don't know if there's a GM in the league who has a richer recent history than Otis of earmarking overly large chunks of his team's budget for players who operate at something less than an all-star level, so you never know.

Of course, even if Orlando is angling for a deal with Washington, there's always the possibility that the Mavs could get in on it by offering the Wizards something they'd see as having more value than Gortat. I guess we'll see what happens with that. Also looking forward to the db.com three-way discussion they teased. Based on other comments I'd seen D.Lord make I'm thinking it'll involve Hedo.
Right on with Hedo. He clearly was a better fit for Orlando than VC. It'd be interesting to see how that would play out.

Arenas is the player I've been hearing for Orlando in trade news. It's still possible Dallas could jump in on that in some form or fashion, it'd be a little more tricky but I'm sure it'd work. It really doesn't make sense to me why they'd take the risk with going for him. He is an unknown as a whole, at least with Hedu you know what you're getting or what you could potentially get.

Dallas and probably Houston were the big players last summer for Gortat and we "won" but Otis was dumb and kept him and basically did nothing with him. Now they drafted Orton, a project who could still be a factor going forward. Add to that the speculation they wanna go after Brad Miller...Gortat is going to be traded one way or another. If the market wasn't that strong last year for him and we won, he didn't do anything to really increase his value over the course of the year. So even if it's a buyer's market this summer, he still might not be a big player in the situation.
I think Otis knew back last summer it was a mistake to re-up with Gortat but he did it anyways, maybe he didn't feel comfortable with the options that would be left if he was coming to Dallas. Now he's had a full year, has Orton and potentially his pick of the litter (with Miller being the choice).

It depends on if the front office still loves Gortat or not. I'm in agreement with you and the bigs at db.com that Orlando can't be asking for an arm and a leg for Gortat.

It looks like Al Jefferson is definitely in the mix as well
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...ory?id=5340850

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-29-2010 at 07:15 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #922
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Right on with Hedo. He clearly was a better fit for Orlando than VC. It'd be interesting to see how that would play out.

Arenas is the player I've been hearing for Orlando in trade news. It's still possible Dallas could jump in on that in some form or fashion, it'd be a little more tricky but I'm sure it'd work. It really doesn't make sense to me why they'd take the risk with going for him. He is an unknown as a whole, at least with Hedu you know what you're getting or what you could potentially get.

Dallas and probably Houston were the big players last summer for Gortat and we "won" but Otis was dumb and kept him and basically did nothing with him. Now they drafted Orton, a project who could still be a factor going forward. Add to that the speculation they wanna go after Brad Miller...Gortat is going to be traded one way or another. If the market wasn't that strong last year for him and we won, he didn't do anything to really increase his value over the course of the year. So even if it's a buyer's market this summer, he still might not be a big player in the situation.
I think Otis knew back last summer it was a mistake to re-up with Gortat but he did it anyways, maybe he didn't feel comfortable with the options that would be left if he was coming to Dallas. Now he's had a full year, has Orton and potentially his pick of the litter (with Miller being the choice).

It depends on if the front office still loves Gortat or not. I'm in agreement with you and the bigs at db.com that Orlando can't be asking for an arm and a leg for Gortat.

It looks like Al Jefferson is definitely in the mix as well
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...ory?id=5340850
Gortat is out. It's a contract dumping, 50 cents on the dollar. If we give up Stevenson's expiring, I want a 2nd rounder back.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #923
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Apparently the difference in price-tags might prove to be costly. DB.com suggested if its in the 8 million/year range, the price is probably right. If you get into the 10 million or more range, then see ya later. I probably have to agree with that statement.
Teams that could be in the market for 'Wood? OKC, New York, Atlanta, Miami
So there is a market for him. OKC has been in the discussion for a while and makes a lot of sense.

If he can stay, and the price is right, I'm all for it. If not then...
Oklahoma pretty much took themselves out of a chance at Haywood with their draft day trades that brought in Aldrich and more importantly Mo Peterson. I believe they now only have about $5-6million in cap space.

Atlanta has cheap management and I don't think they'll be chomping at the bit to sign a 31year old center to a big contract until 1) They figure out what to do with Johnson, and 2) Figure out some way to correct their front court rotation. Adding Haywood would theoretically allow Horford to play his more natural 4 position, but that would also force Josh Smith down to the 3 which he can't play well so that would mean either forcing Smith to come off the bench (unlikely) or paying big money and using valuable cap space (approximately $9-10million+) for a center they would have to bring off the bench.

New York and Miami won't touch any of their cap space until they go through the long "star" free agent list. Supposing both teams get their 2 and 3 max contracts respectively that means no room for Haywood and Haywood is left out to dry.

So with all of this in consideration, Haywood's leverage will never be higher than when FA starts on July 1. The more teams sign their prized "max cats" the more he will likely be left looking for an MLE deal because that's all the market will bear as team's cap space gets used up. His safest bet would be to sign with Dallas as soon as possible for a deal around the $7-8 million range and be happy with it.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 06-29-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #924
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

The rumors that Orlando may target Miller really are a huge hint that Gortat's going to be made available, not least because Miller in Orlando makes a ton of sense. Granted, he's getting close to the tail end of his career, but he's still plenty good enough to handle 10-12 mpg as a backup C, and his ability to play outside the paint offensively makes him a better option in a 4/5 pairing with Howard than Gortat could ever be.
Quote:
Gortat is out. It's a contract dumping, 50 cents on the dollar. If we give up Stevenson's expiring, I want a 2nd rounder back.
Have to say that I hope the Mavs take a more realistic view of the situation than that. Even taking account of Gortat's contract I don't think there's any way you're going to get Orlando to sacrifice additional assets to unload a functional young center.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #925
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
Oklahoma pretty much took themselves out of a chance at Haywood with their draft day trades that brought in Aldrich and more importantly Mo Peterson. I believe they now only have about $5-6million in cap space.

Atlanta has cheap management and I don't think they'll be chomping at the bit to sign a 31year old center to a big contract until 1) They figure out what to do with Johnson, and 2) Figure out some way to correct their front court rotation. Adding Haywood would theoretically allow Horford to play his more natural 4 position, but that would also force Josh Smith down to the 3 which he can't play well so that would mean either forcing Smith to come off the bench (unlikely) or paying big money and using valuable cap space (approximately $9-10million+) for a center they would have to bring off the bench.

New York and Miami won't touch any of their cap space until they go through the long "star" free agent list. Supposing both teams get their 2 and 3 max contracts respectively that means no room for Haywood and Haywood is left out to dry.

So with all of this in consideration, Haywood's leverage will never be higher than when FA starts on July 1. The more teams sign their prized "max cats" the more he will likely be left looking for an MLE deal because that's all the market will bear as team's cap space gets used up. His safest bet would be to sign with Dallas as soon as possible for a deal around the $7-8 million range and be happy with it.
It's just really eerie when you think about it how everyone is talking about Dirk and the big prizes and all things free agency in Mavs land, but Haywood is barely being mentioned. He can easily come back, but I do not think we're getting any finality to that situation in the immediate future.

Quote:
The rumors that Orlando may target Miller really are a huge hint that Gortat's going to be made available, not least because Miller in Orlando makes a ton of sense. Granted, he's getting close to the tail end of his career, but he's still plenty good enough to handle 10-12 mpg as a backup C, and his ability to play outside the paint offensively makes him a better option in a 4/5 pairing with Howard than Gortat could ever be.

Have to say that I hope the Mavs take a more realistic view of the situation than that. Even taking account of Gortat's contract I don't think there's any way you're going to get Orlando to sacrifice additional assets to unload a functional young center.
That 4/5 option is true but Bass can present the same situation. SVG did a bad job not utilizing Bass during the season and Bass did his job coming in out of nowhere during the playoff run when he got some time. The fact that a big seems to be their first option definitely hints that Gortat is gone.

I agree with the second part. Unless we add more to the table other than JJ and Stevenson as the core, it's getting greedy and deal-breaker status asking for more.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #926
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That 4/5 option is true but Bass can present the same situation.
I actually disagree with this, at least with respect to the kind of offense you can run with Miller/Howard as compared to Bass/Howard. Bass' offensive skill-set is largely restricted to knocking down elbow jumpers and being a finisher in a two-man game with a guard. Neither of those abilities are especially useful next to Howard because anything that Bass can do near the basket Howard does better, and Bass doesn't stretch the defense enough or pass well enough to facilitate Howard's post scoring. Miller, on the other hand, has better range on his jumper, and has considerable experience playing the center-as-facilitator role. He'd make the game easier for DH, and I wager would fit in very nicely with the three pointer-heavy perimeter game the Magic tend to play as well.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 06-29-2010 at 08:32 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #927
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Miller would be the second best passer on the team behind Vince Carter. (Yes I think he he is even better than Jameer Nelson.) That ability to pass from the high post to Dwight Howard would be huge for them.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #928
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
It's just really eerie when you think about it how everyone is talking about Dirk and the big prizes and all things free agency in Mavs land, but Haywood is barely being mentioned. He can easily come back, but I do not think we're getting any finality to that situation in the immediate future.
I agree there isn't a lot of buzz going on about him but there was one article/blurb where he mentioned he likes Dallas and wants to return. It'll take a lot more sacrifice for a team under the cap to sign him than it would for us to resign him. His best bet to get a solid contract will either be by resigning with Dallas or by doing a S&T in which we still get value back.

Really though, I think Haywood is a key piece to a championship run for Dallas so I'll be more than happy to welcome him back.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 06-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #929
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
I actually disagree with this, at least with respect to the kind of offense you can run with Miller/Howard as compared to Bass/Howard. Bass' offensive skill-set is largely restricted to knocking down elbow jumpers and being a finisher in a two-man game with a guard. Neither of those abilities are especially useful next to Howard because anything that Bass can do near the basket Howard does better, and Bass doesn't stretch the defense enough or pass well enough to facilitate Howard's post scoring. Miller, on the other hand, has better range on his jumper, and has considerable experience playing the center-as-facilitator role. He'd make the game easier for DH, and I wager would fit in very nicely with the three pointer-heavy perimeter game the Magic tend to play as well.
First off, is that actually a plan they want to implement on a major basis: the backup 5 playing WITH Howard?

I think it definitely hinders them on a defensive aspect though with Miller...he is probably as done as you can be when it comes to defense outside of 8 feet from the basket, if any kind of lateral movement is required, good luck. I can see where that size and passing works because that's what worked for Hedu but he had much, MUCH more athleticism to work with and was basically a tall point guard. I don't think you're getting near that with Miller.

I would say that Orlando has the long-range game set with their shooters to compliment Howard but the mid-range game is still something can be lost or forgotten, and that caters to Bass, same for Miller obviously. Bass isn't going to wow with his defense but he knows he's gotta bring energy on both sides of the court if he wants a chance for minutes and compared to Miller, I don't see why he wouldn't have a decent shot of getting those minutes.

If it's with the purpose of running Howard and said player together, I guess it makes sense to go with Miller. I just think the offense changes entirely with Miller on the court with no Howard.

I guess my issue is what the heck are they thinking to put such an emphasis on using your MLE or a big part of your summer assets on the big man spots again??? If Howard is clearly taking up 80-85% of the playing time, why all the fuss about what's behind him? They should just focus on the guard/wing situation. I won't complain though, because the situation might work out for us in the long run.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #930
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
First off, is that actually a plan they want to implement on a major basis: the backup 5 playing WITH Howard?
As a general rule I just think it makes sense to try to construct your roster in such a way that you can mix and match pieces in a lot of different ways, else you end up playing (and paying) guys who are good enough to get 24 mpg for only half that.

Quote:
I think it definitely hinders them on a defensive aspect though with Miller...he is probably as done as you can be when it comes to defense outside of 8 feet from the basket, if any kind of lateral movement is required, good luck.
No arguments here. He's limited defensively. I'd expect the Howard/Miller pairing to be used primarily against less offensively gifted frontcourts, and for Miller to guard whichever player was less mobile.

Quote:
I would say that Orlando has the long-range game set
I may not have been clear enough on that point. I was referring to Miller's passing out of the high post to guys moving without the basketball rather than to his ability to shoot the three.

Quote:
I just think the offense changes entirely with Miller on the court with no Howard.
That's the way it's going to be regardless, though, isn't it? Howard's a singular player.

Quote:
I guess my issue is what the heck are they thinking to put such an emphasis on using your MLE or a big part of your summer assets on the big man spots again??? If Howard is clearly taking up 80-85% of the playing time, why all the fuss about what's behind him? They should just focus on the guard/wing situation. I won't complain though, because the situation might work out for us in the long run.
I have a few thoughts on this: 1) what guard/wing is going to be available for the MLE who'd be enough of an upgrade over what they've got to justify the cost, 2) budget management, even for rich owners, is still the name of the game, and Gortat is the most replaceable budget-buster on their payroll, and finally 3) for all we know they've already got a tacit agreement to trade Gortat to Dallas once the 1-year wait is up and it's just been kept quiet up 'til now.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 06-29-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #931
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Apparently the difference in price-tags might prove to be costly. DB.com suggested if its in the 8 million/year range, the price is probably right. If you get into the 10 million or more range, then see ya later. I probably have to agree with that statement.
Teams that could be in the market for 'Wood? OKC, New York, Atlanta, Miami
So there is a market for him. OKC has been in the discussion for a while and makes a lot of sense.

If he can stay, and the price is right, I'm all for it. If not then...

yup yup. He doesn't appear the have the attitude problems Haywood might have, so less of a headache there. Gortat clearly wanted to come to Dallas, thrilled at the prospect of coming here last summer. Gortat and Shaq could easily be just as diverse as Haywood/Shaq and potentially cheaper. I'm really interested to see what the guys at db.com have in store, they teased an Amateur GM piece for a 3-team trade to obtain Gortat.

check this out for a D-Wade/Mavs piece I wrote:
http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/

Maybe I missed some things that he may have said recently but I can't ever recall HAywood making a fuss about anything. In fact I thought he was good about never throwing RC under the bus when he wasn't starting for a small stretch. I would personally rather see Gortat here in place of Haywood but it's not because of any attitude problems.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #932
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

I will say this, a Haywood / Gortat center rotation would be phenomenal. At that point even if we had to "settle" for JJ with the DUST, picks, and maybe Dojo we would have an extremely strong and deep team from top to bottom.

Haywood / Gortat
Dirk / Gooden[p/mle]? / Marion
Marion / Butler / Najera
Johnson / Terry
Kidd / Roddy

Old 06-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #933
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
As a general rule I just think it makes sense to try to construct your roster in such a way that you can mix and match pieces in a lot of different ways, else you end up playing (and paying) guys who are good enough to get 24 mpg for only half that.
I guess I understand that, but I think Orlando tried that for a bit with Gortat and Howard over the course of the season and it never really seemed to stick. Obviously it could have been an issue in the makeup of those two players but maybe not.

Quote:
No arguments here. He's limited defensively. I'd expect the Howard/Miller pairing to be used primarily against less offensively gifted frontcourts, and for Miller to guard whichever player was less mobile.
That might actually work in the Eastern conference for sure, I don't think that'll be able to work against teams in the West (LA, Dallas, Denver, OKC, PHX, etc). Obviously they're worried about the guys they play the most, but if the Finals are the big picture, that's a problem.

Quote:
I may not have been clear enough on that point. I was referring to Miller's passing out of the high post to guys moving without the basketball rather than to his ability to shoot the three.
That's true...Orlando's lineup doesn't strike me as guys who move entirely well without the basketball. They're just stop and pop shooters or sit out there and wait for the ball to come to them, maybe that's a dead wrong assessment.

Quote:
I have a few thoughts on this: 1) what guard/wing is going to be available for the MLE who'd be enough of an upgrade over what they've got to justify the cost, 2) budget management, even for rich owners, is still the name of the game, and Gortat is the most replaceable budget-buster on their payroll, and finally 3) for all we know they've already got a tacit agreement to trade Gortat to Dallas once the 1-year wait is up and it's just been kept quiet up 'til now.
That's a fair point about who might be available, it seems like a S&T would be the best route for them to look. I really didn't look at the list originally when I made that statement. Are they planning on keeping Barnes? The only people that might be able to be in the conversation that fit their style of play are Ray Allen and Korver. That could actually be an option because, what hasn't been mentioned (if I remember correctly) how much are they planning to offer to Miller? If they're looking on the low end of the MLE or pray he'll take the LLE, then that opens some more doors.

That would be an amazing feat to have that agreement in place for a full year and no one say a peep about it, I'll take it though.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #934
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Maybe I missed some things that he may have said recently but I can't ever recall HAywood making a fuss about anything. In fact I thought he was good about never throwing RC under the bus when he wasn't starting for a small stretch. I would personally rather see Gortat here in place of Haywood but it's not because of any attitude problems.
I don't remember the exact context of it all, but I think he was asked if he was upset or something with the lack of consistent minutes when Damp was back in the mix and Haywood just said, "I just work here." That seemed to rub people the wrong way.

He definitely showed a lot right out of the gate when he came in and things got really wishy washy after that...back injury, minutes, not being familiar in the lineup, take your pick.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #935
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
I agree there isn't a lot of buzz going on about him but there was one article/blurb where he mentioned he likes Dallas and wants to return. It'll take a lot more sacrifice for a team under the cap to sign him than it would for us to resign him. His best bet to get a solid contract will either be by resigning with Dallas or by doing a S&T in which we still get value back.

Really though, I think Haywood is a key piece to a championship run for Dallas so I'll be more than happy to welcome him back.
This.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #936
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

im not the biggest fan of Jefferson as most of you know, but he would help us more than Gortat cause of his ability to score in the half court
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #937
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
im not the biggest fan of Jefferson as most of you know, but he would help us more than Gortat cause of his ability to score in the half court
That's an interesting point. Jefferson would be interesting in a shared role at the 5. It would give you two very different looks between him and Haywood. Since he's comfortable at the 4 he could spell Dirk as well. He would be a pricey back up, though, (then again so is Lamar Odom) and you'd have to wonder whether he'd be okay with that role.

I think the cost to get him would be more significant than some of these other options but it should definitely be something management looks into once we have a better idea of how the roster is shaping out.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #938
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Set aside the questions about Jefferson's defense, and all the positive things that can be said about Gortat's defense, rebounding and activity level, and you still have to consider the price tag of each player when you're considering who'd help more (as Dirkenstien also noted). If Gortat only requires you to give up JJB and Jefferson requires you to give up Butler (even indirectly, for example, by forcing you to use Butler to get JJ so that you can use Damp to get Jefferson), is he still the better get? Because I think it goes without saying that their respective trade values are likely to differ considerably.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 06-30-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:48 AM   #939
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Set aside the questions about Jefferson's defense, and all the positive things that can be said about Gortat's defense, rebounding and activity level, and you still have to consider the price tag of each player when you're considering who'd help more (as Dirkenstien also noted). If Gortat only requires you to give up JJB and Jefferson requires you to give up Butler (even indirectly, for example, by forcing you to use Butler to get JJ so that you can use Damp to get Jefferson), is he still the better get? Because I think it goes without saying that their respective trade values are likely to differ considerably.
I understand your point, but the problem with what you are saying is we aren't going to hold more than 2 centers that deserve playing time, and I just don't see a Gortat/ Haywood center combo getting us over the top, Gortat is a big risk, the only thing that is his clear is he can rebound and he might be a foul liability (averaged just over 6 per 48 minutes this past year), but he is still a raw player and a guy that is clearly a below average offensive center and a guy that doesn't compliment Haywood as they are similar. I don't mind Gortat being here as the backup center, but we better not be starting Haywood unless we have a guy like Wade or James on the wing
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #940
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else want to punch some of these talking heads in the face with all their bs stories?
I am excited to see how this all shakes out and still continue to watch the "reports" and what not but Chris Broussard, Ric Bucher with his horrible makeup job and a few others just deserve a sock right in the kisser!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #941
SMC0007
Guru

Since we signed D Jones for 3 million right off the bat which combined with Damps contract equals near what JJohnson would want or questionably be worth, is there a chance that Dal knew ATL would find that acceptable somehow in a snt? Could they have talked about that or is that included in the no contact. Either way, it seems like the numbers match up too well with my gut feeling of Joe coming here.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #942
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Anyone else want to punch some of these talking heads in the face with all their bs stories?
I am excited to see how this all shakes out and still continue to watch the "reports" and what not but Chris Broussard, Ric Bucher with his horrible makeup job and a few others just deserve a sock right in the kisser!
I heard a great point yesterday on the radio...the longer you have dead time without decisions being able to be made, people (the media) HAVE to find stuff to fill the gaps in-between. All last season and probably the season before, NY was the team for LeBron. After that, it was Chicago...NOW it's Miami.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #943
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Jones isn't signed at all. We just paid 3 million for the exclusive rights to sign him. But Damp by himself will be enough, or very nearly enough to allow Dallas to absorb JJ's salary so the lack of monetary trade value tied up in DoJo shouldn't be an impediment to getting a deal done.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #944
SMC0007
Guru

ok. Thx.

DoJO is on with Norm right now.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #945
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Jones isn't signed at all. We just paid 3 million for the exclusive rights to sign him. But Damp by himself will be enough, or very nearly enough to allow Dallas to absorb JJ's salary so the lack of monetary trade value tied up in DoJo shouldn't be an impediment to getting a deal done.
Yeah, I think Damp is close, but probably not enough. If Damp is involved, it's a matter of the secondary pieces involved, then the big question will be forced to be answered: Will you involve Roddy in the deal if they want him?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #946
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, I think Damp is close, but probably not enough. If Damp is involved, it's a matter of the secondary pieces involved, then the big question will be forced to be answered: Will you involve Roddy in the deal if they want him?
Absolutely not. Damp, Dojo and a pick should be sufficient. I think the only scenarios where both Damp and Roddy are used in in the same are those with either Lebron or Wade coming back to Dallas.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #947
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wouldn't. Not for JJ. What would make a JJ acquisition strong IMO is the ability to keep Roddy. They already have Teague to develop anyway.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #948
SMC0007
Guru

Dojo seems more determined to be an allstar than happy to be in the NBA.

Theres no way I would involve Roddy, and I would try really really hard to not involve Dojo either. Not sure if that is possible.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #949
BGMaverick9
Guru

Right, I believe Roddy should only be dealt for LeBron or Wade. It's just up to Donnie and Cuban if they believe JJ is the last option where Roddy is involved. My opinion is he doesn't need to be involved, that's just the best way where Atlanta makes out like bandits in the deal.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #950
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

If Joe Johnson is your target, I'm guessing that in three years, you have images of Joe Johnson, Dominique Jones, and Roddy Beaubois playing your three perimeter positions at a high level. I'd hate to lose either of the two young kids, but that's just me.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #951
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

As others have said, Booby's off limits in JJ talks.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #952
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
As others have said, Booby's off limits in JJ talks.
I agree, they just have to tell ATL that there are plenty of other options to work with for a S&T deal and our offer (minus Roddy) is still going to be up there as a top option to get stuff back in a deal compared to other teams.

One way or another, I think it's unlikely we're keeping both Roddy AND Dojo going into next season. We either strike huge with a mega deal, or we do two solid trades and one of them is shipped off.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #953
SMC0007
Guru

Letter from the mayor to the King.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...ory?id=5342522

I hear you may be considering a career-enhancing move to another city. I'm sure you'll find that a move to Dallas clearly would make the most sense professionally, financially and personally.
Dallas is a great city to live, work and play. It is the eighth-largest city and fourth-largest metro area in the country. Dallas is a thriving and growing metropolitan city yet still maintains its Southern charm. While it certainly has a stellar reputation and some of the friendliest people around, you may also want to consider the Top Ten reasons you should move to Dallas and the Mavs:

10. No snow blowers needed!!!!

9. You can move in next door to Dirk in North Dallas. It's just a 12-minute drive to the American Airlines Center.

8. The Mavericks have the best plane.

7. Great airports at both DFW International and Love Field. Central location makes getting around the country quick and easy!

6. On off nights, you can hit the opera at the stunning new Winspear Opera House.

5. Make calls in the Central Time Zone. Much easier to manage your affairs.

More on the Mavs

News, notes and analysis of the Mavericks from ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan, Tim MacMahon and the rest of our team. Blog.

4. Hit the links at Dallas National Golf Club in February. Just five minutes from the American Airlines Center.

3. Keep more of your money. Unlike New York City, which has a 12.62% income tax rate (State: 8.97% + City: 3.65%), Texas has no personal income tax. At your current salary of $15,779,912, a move to Dallas saves you $2 million over New York.

2. Cowboys Stadium: You can sit with Roger Staubach for the Super Bowl.

And the number one reason to move to Dallas ...

1. The Mayor will personally greet you with Texas BBQ, Tex-Mex and Sweet Tea on the day you move in!

The bottom line: You would love Dallas and Dallas would love you. We welcome the opportunity to welcome you to Dallas.

Sincerely,

Tom Leppert, Mayor of Dallas

Old 06-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #954
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Third-hand info from ChicagoJK at LMF, but in all likelihood reliable:
Quote:
Fish is saying Mark is going to LA tonight to be at Joe Johnson's location at 9:01 PM, Donnie is going to be in Germany trying to track down Dirk and Carlisle will be in DC at Haywood's house.
Good choices all around.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #955
SMC0007
Guru

Old 06-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #956
Alykhan04

Alykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to all

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....f42dec5c.html

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
Eddie Sefko reports that Dirk Nowitzki and his friend/consultant Holger Geschwindner have advised Mavericks president Donnie Nelson not to come to Germany. Nowitzki has decided to travel to Dallas and is scheduled to meet with Nelson Thursday morning.

"This is a really good sign," Nelson said.
Alykhan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #957
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alykhan04 View Post
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....f42dec5c.html

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
Eddie Sefko reports that Dirk Nowitzki and his friend/consultant Holger Geschwindner have advised Mavericks president Donnie Nelson not to come to Germany. Nowitzki has decided to travel to Dallas and is scheduled to meet with Nelson Thursday morning.

"This is a really good sign," Nelson said.
uhh. is it?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #958
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone out there had even the tiniest seed of worry that Dirk wasn't coming back, the news that he's coming to Dallas should put an end to it.

He will come to an agreement with the Mavs and then he will get rolled into the recruiting process. No other reason for him to come back to Dallas at this point.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #959
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Leppert
6. On off nights, you can hit the opera at the stunning new Winspear Opera House.
Well if the chance to play with Dirk under an owner like Cuban can't win LeBron over, this ought to.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 06-30-2010 at 01:32 PM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #960
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
If anyone out there had even the tiniest seed of worry that Dirk wasn't coming back, the news that he's coming to Dallas should put an end to it.

He will come to an agreement with the Mavs and then he will get rolled into the recruiting process. No other reason for him to come back to Dallas at this point.
This

He's not flying back just to take care of his own business. Add the big German to the recruiting group.
Now it's up to Cuban to see if he can make the big pitch to JJ.

I like what I read where Cuban's approach has changed from the past few years. He used to have the mindset, yeah go ahead - get pampered and spoiled with other team's pitch and just come back to home and we will seal it up. Now it's just aggression and get business done, no messing around.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-30-2010 at 01:37 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 6feetunderdog, ban cad, big thread kill board, cad is a troll, cadbane=vagina dentana, cadpain in the ass, fell=fail, fluid guzzler!, fluidfartyone!, gay tags, grandma cigarettes, it's a race no running!?!, mammoth gortat, mammoth knockers, mammoth thread, miami cheat, more bloody cuntbane, shut the fluff up, smc = sucks many c*cks, then stop posting in it, underdog=legallyretarded, we luv us sum fluffy, where is fluffy?, wtf is fell?...