Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 01-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of
Default Stuart Scott RIP

Saddening news. Whether you liked him or thought he was annoying, I cannot think of a more popular anchor on Sportscenter to deliver me my sports news. The guy fought stomach cancer for 7 years. The last couple of years on Sportcenter he was literally taking catnaps on commercial break to gather the strength to deliver the news. That's really difficult to do. I think even those who were annoyed by his one-liners are still secretly going to miss them.

Boo-Yah!
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

as a 10 year cancer survivor it was very sad to hear of his passing.
He battled cancer with great courage.

July 16, shortly before his 49th birthday and following another round of cancer surgery, Stuart accepted the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance with strength, humor, grace and these eloquent words:
"When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer.
You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the
manner in which you live."
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Honestly, I never realized it until today, but Stuart Scott is why I watched Sportscenter. I remember watching ESPN with my grandfather in the late 80's / early 90's. While Olbermann and Patrick were somewhat entertaining, the network really appealed to white +40 year olds back then.

Scott appealed to both the young and African American audience (which ESPN didn't do a good job of capturing back then). He kind of made ESPN everyone's sports network. And, yeah, his catch phrases were kind of cheesy, but I've said "boo-yaw" and he's the reason why. So I'm a hypocrite to hate on him for that.

The guy fought stomach cancer three times in 7 years. Really courageous.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #4
Dnowit41

Dnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to all

A true inspiration. He will be missed. RIP Stuart

A clear night in big D. Thousands of fans ready...anxiously awaiting his arrival.
The signal high in the Dallas sky calls for one person, and one person alone.........#41
Dnowit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I'll miss him. Always an energetic and charismatic force on that show. Seemed to always love being there and covering sports.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #6
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #7
howdoesmydirktaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Awesome.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #8
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Damn, this picture made me tear up. RIP.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #9
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdoesmydirktaste View Post
Honestly, I never realized it until today, but Stuart Scott is why I watched Sportscenter. I remember watching ESPN with my grandfather in the late 80's / early 90's. While Olbermann and Patrick were somewhat entertaining, the network really appealed to white +40 year olds back then.

Scott appealed to both the young and African American audience (which ESPN didn't do a good job of capturing back then). He kind of made ESPN everyone's sports network. And, yeah, his catch phrases were kind of cheesy, but I've said "boo-yaw" and he's the reason why. So I'm a hypocrite to hate on him for that.

The guy fought stomach cancer three times in 7 years. Really courageous.
Excellent summary of Scott's importance to modern sports culture.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:33 PM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember the last time I watched Sportscenter. It's been years and years. The idea of that show really died for me in the mid 2000's when internet became a much better place to consume news and highlights than a show like Sportcenter.

But during the late 90's and even the early 2000's (when I'd come home from college), watching the 10pm Sportscenter with my dad was pretty close to a ritual. It was something we really shared and Scott is obviously a huge part of that memory.

I saw his speech at the ESPYs last year live and it was really special. 49 is too damn young.

Best wishes to his family. They should be proud of how he fought over the last few years.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:56 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't a fan of him professionally at all, but he seemed like a great guy. I guess you could say that I blame him in part for what ESPN has become. I absolutely hated bringing hip hop feel to Sports Center. Now, Sports Center iss so far down on the list of where I go for sports news because there's too much garbage on the show. But terribly sad to see him pass. Truly seemed like a great guy. And every time someone dies young from cancer, well it hits a little too close to home for me.

Last edited by Murphy3; 01-05-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote