Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 11-04-2003, 03:11 PM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Who you are and why I hate you.

WARNING. This thread is abrasive and over the top.

Dirt_dobber-18 posts started 6 threads; 1st post started a thread.

mafsfan4life-42 posts started <u>10</u> threads; 1st post started a thread.

Captain Disaster-139 posts started <u>30</u> threads; 1st post started a thread.

shaq attack2-224 posts started 6 threads.

There are others.

I am aware that there is already a thread giving advice for newbies. But frankly, I wanted to make a point. Now, I don't really hate you people. But I can't stand it anymore. This crap has to stop. I am not saying that every thread you started is part of the problem, but come on. Starting a thread for every one out of every 3, 4 or 5 posts is insane. We are a nice little community. We can't go around all willy-nilly like this.

What you need to understand is that some of us have been around for years. And we have discussed this stuff ad nauseum. And we have seen it all. So threads referencing "Irk" Nowitzki have got to stop. Threads devoted to trade suggestions have got to stop. "When are the Mavs going to get a big man?" threads have to stop.

Please, I beg you. Scan the first 2 pages of the forum before you post a new thread.

For the record, I bitch everybody out. I criticize Murph in PM's all the time, and he finally stopped doing the thing that drives me nuts. But now that he's read this, he is going to start again.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2003, 03:46 PM   #2
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Who you are and why I hate you.

A hated list and I'm not on it. Whew!
Old 11-04-2003, 03:48 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Who you are and why I hate you.

Good post Dooby..well said
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:53 PM   #4
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Dooby makes a very important point.

Scan the first two pages and even use the "search" function before starting a new thread. Often, you can simply post your thoughts in a thread already devoted to the topic you want to discuss.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:07 PM   #5
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Well said Dooby and KG...well said.

It's hard to read the board anymore for all of the absolute junk that's being posted.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:10 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

One thought...hopefully some of the newer members will take note, but..obviously it's a continuing problem with each group of newer members..

i'm willing to bet that most won't read anything similar to this thread before they open a couple of threads of their own in their first 4-5 posts

what else can be done?
Old 11-04-2003, 04:10 PM   #7
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I just want to see an end to the poll threads that only have one real answer. Who is going to score the most points for the Mavs this year? WE ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER! And there are five or six of those threads.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:10 PM   #8
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
WARNING. This thread is abrasive and over the top.

Dirt_dobber-18 posts started 6 threads; 1st post started a thread.

mafsfan4life-42 posts started <u>10</u> threads; 1st post started a thread.

Captain Disaster-139 posts started <u>30</u> threads; 1st post started a thread.

shaq attack2-224 posts started 6 threads.

There are others.

I am aware that there is already a thread giving advice for newbies. But frankly, I wanted to make a point. Now, I don't really hate you people. But I can't stand it anymore. This crap has to stop. I am not saying that every thread you started is part of the problem, but come on. Starting a thread for every one out of every 3, 4 or 5 posts is insane. We are a nice little community. We can't go around all willy-nilly like this.

What you need to understand is that some of us have been around for years. And we have discussed this stuff ad nauseum. And we have seen it all. So threads referencing "Irk" Nowitzki have got to stop. Threads devoted to trade suggestions have got to stop. "When are the Mavs going to get a big man?" threads have to stop.

Please, I beg you. Scan the first 2 pages of the forum before you post a new thread.

For the record, I bitch everybody out. I criticize Murph in PM's all the time, and he finally stopped doing the thing that drives me nuts. But now that he's read this, he is going to start again.

Do you have a life besides this board???? Why get mad over little stuff like this??
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:15 PM   #9
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass

It's hard to read the board anymore for all of the absolute junk that's being posted.
Especially when the newbies lose a discussion. Rather than taking their whipping like a man they continue to argue in some random direction. They act like they haven't lost because they are still posting on the topic. But they aren't adding anything positive to their side of the discussion, they are just posting to be posting.

I can't remember the last time the newbies were this bad. Where are the gems? Who is this year's OP?
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:16 PM   #10
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Do you have a life besides this board????
Yes.

Quote:
Why get mad over little stuff like this??
Why did you feel compelled to respond? Ask yourself the same question.

I like to come here and look around and find information. That is why I first came here. To learn. To get information. I read this forum for months before feeling compelled to post.

99% of the people that come here don't scan beyond the first page. 50% don't scan beyond the first few thread. There is good, solid content on this board that gets ignored because people keep trying to make a trade with Cleveland for big Z.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 11-04-2003, 04:17 PM   #11
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass

Especially when the newbies lose a discussion. Rather than taking their whipping like a man they continue to argue in some random direction. They act like they haven't lost because they are still posting on the topic. But they aren't adding anything positive to their side of the discussion, they are just posting to be posting.

I can't remember the last time the newbies were this bad. Where are the gems? Who is this year's OP?
Wow, Max. You act like you've been here for a long time.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2003, 04:27 PM   #12
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

[quote]
Quote:
Do you have a life besides this board????
Yes.

Quote:
Why get mad over little stuff like this??
Why did you feel compelled to respond? Ask yourself the same question.

I like to come here and look around and find information. That is why I first came here. To learn. To get information. I read this forum for months before feeling compelled to post.

99% of the people that come here don't scan beyond the first page. 50% don't scan beyond the first few thread. There is good, solid content on this board that gets ignored because people keep trying to make a trade with Cleveland for big Z.[/q

I responded just becaused of the nick picky people like you. Take a chill pill would ya. I understand that people need to scan the first few pages and post, but not many people have such time like you. Afterall, isn't this a public forum? As long as there are no profanity , then it should be ok to post whatever the way one feels.

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:30 PM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I responded just becaused of the nick picky people like you. Take a chill pill would ya. I understand that people need to scan the first few pages and post, but not many people have such time like you. Afterall, isn't this a public forum? As long as there are no profanity , then it should be ok to post whatever the way one feels.
If you don't have enough time to scan, you don't have enough time to post.

This is a private forum (membership is required), and it's NOT okay to post whenever and wherever and whatever you want -- that's kind of the whole point.

Old 11-04-2003, 04:46 PM   #14
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
You are calling dooby nick picky? If you want to contribute here, make the time to scan the previous threads. By ignoring them you are creating clutter which interferes with the purpose of the site....Mavericks discussion and an exchange of information. Ignorant polls, what should Dirk's hair look like, and who fills their shorts out the best hardly qualify as contributions or worthy informational exchange. For goodness sakes....just take a minute to scan the damn threads before posting.

bogey
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:53 PM   #15
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Who you are and why I hate you.

amen. just wanted to add that. i know that I, for one, have kind of been deterred from posting simply because of the sheer volume of threads in the general mavs forum. not sure if anyone misses me, but i wanted to add my support to dooby's stance.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:14 PM   #16
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
amen. just wanted to add that. i know that I, for one, have kind of been deterred from posting simply because of the sheer volume of threads in the general mavs forum. not sure if anyone misses me, but i wanted to add my support to dooby's stance.
You are not the only one who is backing way off. Several posters have slowed, some have left for good and some are fast approaching one of those two categories.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:48 PM   #17
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
I'm with you BBL

I've been here for about 4 months (I've actually been reading this forum since last Feb). The 1st couple of months when I joined I would participate heavily in the general mavs. Now I feel like the only time I wanna post is in the Lounge or Other sports because of all of these BS threads in the General Mavs.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:59 PM   #18
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Make that 140 posts and 31 threads...

[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2003, 06:07 PM   #19
bogey
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
Make that 140 posts and 31 threads...

[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
It never stops. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2003, 06:08 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

To be honest, this makes me yearn for the days of joe joe and RCF...back when there weren't many non-contributors and just a couple of trolls..

Now, there's just about as many every day non-contributors and trolls that post in the Mavs section as there are high quality members.

----------------------------------------------------
Dirks hair 4 posts, started 3 threads
Old 11-04-2003, 06:14 PM   #21
Dooby
Diamond Member

Do you miss David?

I am not trying to insult anyone or scare anybody off. I don't have a big problem with C.D.'s new thread. It just the whole damn thing is getting out of hand.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:16 PM   #22
bogey
Banned

I miss David.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:17 PM   #23
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Great post Dooby.

This is becoming a huge problem. There is more drivel on the 1st page than I have ever seen. It discourages any reasonable discussion and debate. If something isn't done to deter it I feel it is going to get worse. This board has grown by leaps and bounds over the last few months, and I don't think it is going to slow any time soon.

Here is something to ask yourself before posting:
1. Would this be a good topic for Mavstalk? If so, quickly hit backspace button and resume reading

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:19 PM   #24
bogey
Banned

grbh-funny you should say that. I brought up that point to kg_veteran earlier today in a pm discussion. A lot of posters, new and old, are incredibly frustrated by the Mavtalk-like threads. Not just an occassional Mavtalk thread, but an inordinate number of Mavtalk-like threads.

very frustrating. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2003, 06:19 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

I miss discussing the 'two game swing' and why dirk should be the #1 option ahead of NVE.

So yeah, I miss David.

And GRBH, your idea is good in theory...BUT, how many of these people are able to think in those terms? Obviously, most of them have no problem if this place ends up like Mavstalk.

Perhaps a link should be provided to Mavtalk just for those that have lost their way?

Old 11-04-2003, 06:21 PM   #26
Dooby
Diamond Member

I swear to you this is true. I don't even know the web address for mavtalk.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:26 PM   #27
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I've encouraged new members (and frankly, old ones too) to think about what they're doing before posting a new thread. If they don't, I'll find other ways to "encourage" them.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:29 PM   #28
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all
Default RE:Recommended reading for everyone.

Here you go Dooby.

MavsTalk

You might want to check out the adopt-a-mav thread.

You can thank me later.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:48 PM   #29
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Dooby, i just want to thank you....and to all our mods, please back this rhetoric with action...it may seem harsh, but some of these of these people need to go...give a warning or two, and then move 'em on...

I have not been here long, but I have gotten tired of this...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:50 PM   #30
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

Is there some way to make a probation period? Like new members have all the threads they create checked by a moderator before they can be posted. Another possibility is to not even allow new members to create a thread until they have a certain amount of posts.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:53 PM   #31
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Just thankful you don't ban people over double posts. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:53 PM   #32
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Or triple posts.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:53 PM   #33
Bayliss

Ah, the good ole days.

Here's a suggestion. Forget warnings. Just ban all people that create stupid topics. Period.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:53 PM   #34
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
I've encouraged new members (and frankly, old ones too) to think about what they're doing before posting a new thread. If they don't, I'll find other ways to "encourage" them.

Maybe we can just concentrate on getting them to think and then get them to think about what they're doing before posting. It would still be an improvement in a great many cases.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:59 PM   #35
grbh
Platinum Member

A probation period would be a beating to monitor. Ihave another thought..

Most of the posters I consider to be beneficial to this board read this forumn for weeks or months before posting. So in that mold:

I don't know if this is a possibility but what if you couldn't post for 30 days after registering.

It would give newbies an opportunity to read all the forums and see what is and what is not an acceptable post. I also think it would deter post padding. With your membership status changing every 20 posts or so to start off I think a lot of people race race race to hit those levels. A 30 day wait might give them some time to gain some perspective. Finally only truly interested parties would take the time to sit out the required 30 day period. The fly by night poster who has 500 posts in a couple of weeks never to be heard from again won't be as likely

Old 11-04-2003, 07:03 PM   #36
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life is on a distinguished road

My god, you guys are way to into this. GET A LIFE!
Old 11-04-2003, 07:04 PM   #37
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I'm glad someone spoke on it because it was starting to piss me off how all of these newbies are creating pointless threads. I've been here since May of 2002 and I Think in my stay here I have made no more than 15 threads. I'm not saying that newbies shouldn't make any threads but I think alot of these threads started could easily be put in another thread already started.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 07:05 PM   #38
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

That sounds like a good system Grbh.

One thing I have seen in other messageboards is to have a reference thread for common threads.

Like a reference thread with links for all the Dirk threads... or a reference thread for all the Nash threads... and one for all the trades. . etc. etc. etc.

Another thing I noticed that could reduce the clutter is to have one thread pinned to the top of the board that includes all the articles. You could have one for all Mavs pictures found as well.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:01 PM   #39
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: grbh
A probation period would be a beating to monitor. Ihave another thought..

Most of the posters I consider to be beneficial to this board read this forumn for weeks or months before posting. So in that mold:

I don't know if this is a possibility but what if you couldn't post for 30 days after registering.
Well, I have been reading the board for a couple of months now and I'm not very beneficial at all! Although I do try (most of the time at least) to do that. I certainly refrain from creating threads that that wouldn't really contribute to an intelligent discussion.... that's the reason I haven't created a new thread actually

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2003, 08:04 PM   #40
Novice#41
Golden Member

Novice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
We are a nice little community.
you should better say "we were a nice little community".

strange things are going on here right now...

i'm probably just one of the lurkers here but it's currently quite hard
and it takes a lot of time to filter the interesting and important news
about the mavs and i can't get rid of the feeling that there are definitely
too many great members which are more than sick of all this stuff...

and a couple of them are not around anymore or just rarely...

it's a great pity, imo.

to be honest, i can't see a proper solution in the near future.

Novice#41 is offline   Reply With Quote