Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Iron Man

Was pretty good. Better than most super - hero movies. Any one else seen it yet?
Old 05-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic
Was pretty good. Better than most super - hero movies. Any one else seen it yet?
there's some talk of it in the general movie thread.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
Dang. Sorry so many threads right now I couldn't find it.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic
Dang. Sorry so many threads right now I couldn't find it.
I know. It's also a deceptive thread. 'cause I'm sure no one around here would have Iron Man playing in their DVD yet. Right?
Old 05-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
rmacomic
Platinum Member

I get my dvd's from the kid on the corner, doesn't everyone?
Old 05-03-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This one deserves its own thread. This movie was awesome. Robert Downey has re-established himself as one of my favorite actors.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:52 AM   #7
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

So many discussions with friends over this. All time great comic movies, my top 5 goes:

1. V for Vendetta
2. Sin City
3. Batman Begins
4. Iron Man
5. X-Men 2

I really enjoyed Iron Man (i've already seen it twice). The problem is, when you break it down, it's just an origin story. It was really entertaining, and had fantastic performances, but it wasn't a great story. And not only did V for Vendetta/Sin City/Batman Begins have a better story, but they were darker and more serious than Iron Man.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:13 AM   #8
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
It was really entertaining, and had fantastic performances, but it wasn't a great story. And not only did V for Vendetta/Sin City/Batman Begins have a better story,
I'll definitely give you Batman Begins, and to a lesser extent V, but I really don't think Sin City's "storyline" was anything impressive. Certainly not moreso than Iron Man's.

And isn't "really entertaining" and "fantastic performances" what you go to see when watching a movie like Iron Man? Batman is different. Batman is one of the most iconic fictional characters in history. When you see a Batman movie, especially when so many have already been made, you want the movie to be all about the character and what motivates him. A movie with a lesser-known hero like Iron Man, you go to eat popcorn and be dazzled.

Quote:
but they were darker and more serious than Iron Man.
Well that's just personal preference. "Seriousness" isn't necessarily a virtue when it comes to comic-based movies. In fact, that's basically why Ang Lee's "Hulk" underperformed at the box office. Light-heartedness suits a movie about Iron Man much better than the brooding, earnest tone of movies like Batman Begins or V.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:22 AM   #9
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Iron man..imo is the best Marvel movie to date.

Did anyone else get an erection after knowing Rhodey was going to be War Machine..the mention of SHIELD and then Samuel L Jackson showing up as Nick Fury talking about the AVENGER initiative after the ending credits?

SICKKKKKKKKKKK
Old 05-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
I'll definitely give you Batman Begins, and to a lesser extent V, but I really don't think Sin City's "storyline" was anything impressive. Certainly not moreso than Iron Man's.

And isn't "really entertaining" and "fantastic performances" what you go to see when watching a movie like Iron Man? Batman is different. Batman is one of the most iconic fictional characters in history. When you see a Batman movie, especially when so many have already been made, you want the movie to be all about the character and what motivates him. A movie with a lesser-known hero like Iron Man, you go to eat popcorn and be dazzled.

Well that's just personal preference. "Seriousness" isn't necessarily a virtue when it comes to comic-based movies. In fact, that's basically why Ang Lee's "Hulk" underperformed at the box office. Light-heartedness suits a movie about Iron Man much better than the brooding, earnest tone of movies like Batman Begins or V.
I think seriousness is a virtue when it comes to comic book movies. I don't think it's ironic how the better comic movies are the ones that take themselves seriously. When it comes down to it, you got to judge a comic movie like you judge a regular movie. I think Iron Man, X2, and Spider-Man 2 took itself a lot more serious than any Marvel comic movie.

The exception to that theory are Spider-Man 1 and Hulk. Neither of those movies i think were well put together, which falls on the directors. I think both Raimi and Lee were just trying to push their own agendas rather than make a good movie, which is really unfortunate.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Superman meets Transformers.

What a movie.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #12
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Hell yes, this movie was great... one of the best Marvel movies they've put out... I think maybe what I liked best about it was that there wasn't a single moment where I thought, 'damn, that was cheesy'...

My only complaint was that halfway through the movie, a speaker (or hell, maybe 2) ended up blowing, really f'ing up the sound... go to a ghetto ass theater, get ghetto ass results, I guess though...
Old 05-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #13
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

interesting guys. I wanted to see this movie anyway..but now i have proof..so i'm definitely going to have to see this.. thanks fellas.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #14
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irontoad
I think maybe what I liked best about it was that there wasn't a single moment where I thought, 'damn, that was cheesy'...

there were definitely a couple for me.

Highlight below.

1) Instead of the ironman prototype, wouldn't it have been easier to build a radio or something
2) That whole scene where his assistant pulls out the shorted wire: cheese!
3) His interactions with his robots were cheesy, but in a good way, I guess.

But overall, it was a very good movie. It definitely ranks up there with the best super-hero movies. Jeff Bridges did great.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball
Iron man..imo is the best Marvel movie to date.

Did anyone else get an erection after knowing Rhodey was going to be War Machine..the mention of SHIELD and then Samuel L Jackson showing up as Nick Fury talking about the AVENGER initiative after the ending credits?

SICKKKKKKKKKKK
thanks for the spoiler warning
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #16
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Going to see this tonight.

I hear it's pretty good.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #17
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

After seeing the movie, a couple of thoughts:

1. I am not a Gwyneth Paltrow fan, but my god was she HOT in this movie.
2. The news paper writer that he sleeps with and talks to throughout the movie....also so hot.
3. The movie itself was pretty darned good. I just don't want to take attention away from hot chicks, societies main reason for functioning.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #18
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Iron Man can't control what the ball do... Crazy, man - y'all hilarious!

4/10 (but I hate popcorn)

I predict Iron Man 2, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Ant Man (no sh!t), and the Avengers (what this entire crap-fest is leading up to) will all suck, in my superior opinion...

When does the Dark Knight come out?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #19
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I predict Iron Man 2, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Ant Man (no sh!t), and the Avengers (what this entire crap-fest is leading up to) will all suck, in my superior opinion...
You don't like popcorn???? what are you, French?

If I had to bet on that list, I'd go with Iron Man 2 and Captain America (unless the US is the bad guy). Thor and Avengers will either do very well or very crappy. I'd bet against Hulk because of Ed Norton and against Ant Man because he's an ant, man.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 05-14-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #20
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If I had to bet on that list, I'd go with Iron Man 2 and Captain America (unless the US is the bad guy). Thor and Avengers will either do very well or very crappy. I'd bet against Hulk because of Ed Norton and against Ant Man because he's an ant, man.
tend to agree with UL here....Thor is one of my favorite Marvel characters but I don't see how a live action flick could pull it off.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #21
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Le pop-corn est la merde parfumée...

Old 05-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #22
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Le pop-corn est la merde parfumée...
There is a bad word in there.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #23
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
There is a bad word in there.
"la" isn't the same as "L.A." - no bad words here!

Old 05-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #24
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Iron Man and Batman Begins are two of my favorite Comic Super-Hero movies.

When they first came out, I really liked the Spider Man movies.

I however also like the Hulk movie...but then again that Godzilla movie grew on me as well...I really like the French guy...I know Godzilla is not a comic super hero...but I think it and the Hulk rank together as movies that are fun to watch.

Another one that I like is "Spawn"

Now I'm looking for the next Batman...Heath Ledger plays one wiched Joker character...he played it so well, that it lead to his own personal demise...kinda freaky if you ask me.

Let me not foget the Fantastic 4...perhaps cheesy, but I liked it.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #25
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad
Iron Man and Batman Begins are two of my favorite Comic Super-Hero movies.

When they first came out, I really liked the Spider Man movies.

I however also like the Hulk movie...but then again that Godzilla movie grew on me as well...I really like the French guy...I know Godzilla is not a comic super hero...but I think it and the Hulk rank together as movies that are fun to watch.

Another one that I like is "Spawn"

Now I'm looking for the next Batman...Heath Ledger plays one wiched Joker character...he played it so well, that it lead to his own personal demise...kinda freaky if you ask me.

Let me not foget the Fantastic 4...perhaps cheesy, but I liked it.
can't decide if this post is genius or from the mind of an insane human.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #26
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

I like to think of it as insanity.

I had a saying back in my HS days (Mid 80's)...Insanity is Beautiful, look at me :-)

I was a screwed up Heavy Metal Preppy...I dressed like a preppy, had the hair of a headbanger and rocked out to Bob Seger...

Talk about screwed up!!!

I am looking forward to more of these action comic movies!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #27
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
After seeing the movie, a couple of thoughts:

1. I am not a Gwyneth Paltrow fan, but my god was she HOT in this movie.
Unbelievably hot.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #28
bruinsbaseball

bruinsbaseball is infamous around these parts

Great movie.
bruinsbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #29
bruinsbaseball

bruinsbaseball is infamous around these parts

well done too, special effects were perfect, not over the top.
bruinsbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #30
sike
The Preacha

One thing I would have liked changed would have to been to bring "Obi" slower along as a villain...I thought Bridges was pitch perfect in that role and would have liked to see him get a second movie as a real villain.

casting was perfect...except Sam Jackson will make a TERRIBLE Fury.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #31
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
One thing I would have liked changed would have to been to bring "Obi" slower along as a villain...I thought Bridges was pitch perfect in that role and would have liked to see him get a second movie as a real villain.
That was the worst part of this movie - first Obidiah was Tony's friend, then suddenly he's a bad guy (for no reason other than *apparent* greed...)

Weak sauce...

In the comic books, Obidiah's motivation was his competitive drive to win at all costs - as a child, he killed another kid's dog, just so the kid would be distracted before they played a game of chess... Now THAT's the kind of villain I want to see in a movie - one who is motivated by human desires, rather than a character whose only motivation is to sell more toys for Hasbro!

Last edited by Underdog; 05-17-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #32
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
That was the worst part of this movie - first Obidiah was Tony's friend, then suddenly he's a bad guy (for no reason other than *apparent* greed...)

Weak sauce...

In the comic books, Obidiah's motivation was his competitive drive to win at all costs - as a child, he killed another kid's dog, just so the kid would be distracted before they played a game of chess... Now THAT's the kind of villain I want to see in a movie - one who is motivated by human desires, rather than a character whose only motivation is to sell more toys for Hasbro!

To give the movie at least a little credit, I don't think Stain was ever Tony's friend...he just used Tony to build himself up...stood on Tony genius, etc. I agree with you, though...it would have been nice to see Stain's character fleshed out a bit more...but they spent their tiime (properly so) fleshing out Tony. That is why I'd have liked to see a disposable character villain in this movie with Stain as the shadowy background puppet master and see him emerge in the next film as the main antagonist.

I really liked what Bridges was doing though...he is so great.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #33
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

I didn't read too many of the Iron Man comic books - but that Obidiah transition didn't bother me in the least, or seem sudden. Once I saw Jeff Bridges bald and with a big beard and running a weapons company, I figured he'd be a bad guy sooner or later.

This movie goes to show that acting is everything.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #34
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think Paltrow was anything special in this movie. If anything she wore to much makeup.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #35
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk
I didn't think Paltrow was anything special in this movie. If anything she wore to much makeup.
how Shaggy likes 'em...

Old 05-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #36
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

disturbing that you would even have or know where that picture is.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #37
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk
disturbing that you would even have or know where that picture is.
if you remember "Me, Myself, and Irene" The Albino in the back left is in that movie....

Old 05-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #38
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

hahaha...i love that movie
Old 05-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #39
Underdog

Quote:
I didn't read too many of the Iron Man comic books - but that Obidiah transition didn't bother me in the least, or seem sudden. Once I saw Jeff Bridges bald and with a big beard and running a weapons company, I figured he'd be a bad guy sooner or later.
You don't have to read the comic book to desire a character with personality deeper than a bottle cap...

bald & beard = bad guy??? (actually, you might have a point there - my father WAS a bit stingy with my allowance as a kid...)

Jeff Bridges is a fine actor, but fine acting doesn't create any plausible motivation for a seemingly "good" character to become a villain for no sensible reason (and with no apparent foreshadowing!)... It's just amateurish writing, which blows my mind because Favreau's writing/directing in Swingers was brilliant!

Last edited by Underdog; 05-17-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #40
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
You don't have to read the comic book to desire a character with personality deeper than a bottle cap...

bald & beard = bad guy??? (actually, you might have a point - my father WAS a bit stingy with my allowance as a kid...)

Jeff Bridges is a fine actor, but fine acting doesn't create any plausible motivation for a seemingly "good" character to become a villain for no good reason or with no apparent foreshadowing - it's just amateurish writing (which blows my mind because Favreau's writing/directing in Swingers was brilliant!)
Bridges character arc is very clearly explained...he has been a bad guy for a long time...Tony just wasn't a threat to him. But when Tony takes a stance, Obi has any enemy. He had been "dealing under the table" long before Tony discovered his weapons in the hands of terrorists. The movie seems to say that he never was a good guy in actuality....Tony just thought he was.