Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future
Default looks like Rick Carlisle and Cuban will have work to do in offseason tim Grgurich....

apparently is going back to UNLV.

And I honestly would be shocked if Casey didn't get a job this time around
Old 05-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

I read something that Augmon was going back there too.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

yeah he was already hired, and Augman said today that grgurich is coming back too.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Nice to see these guys going back, but boy are the recruits might not have been old enough to hear of these guys, might have to trust the opines of their coaches.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
mavs777
Diamond Member

i think Augmon will be a really good recruiter, his personality works perfect for kids and in the AAU circles, plus I bet AAU coaches know who he is and coach recruiter relationships are big too
Old 05-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Yea, I'm sure the coaches will recognize the names. We'll see. They actually have a head start. Right in their back yard is Findlay Prep where they get HS players from all over the country. Highly ranked team for the last 2-3 seasons. There was a kid from Oakland who was there as a sophomore, so they bring them all in regardless of class and age. It's not one of those normal 1 and done Prep schools.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
mavs777
Diamond Member

Gormon is loaded for next years class too
Old 05-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Better basketball in Vegas, boosts recruiting for UNLV.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Names for assistant coaches, Keith Smart, Dunleavy, Mike Woodson, Vogel.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Names for assistant coaches, Keith Smart, Dunleavy, Mike Woodson, Vogel.
im trying to find out who Carlisle's assistants where in Indiana but can't find them
Old 05-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
im trying to find out who Carlisle's assistants where in Indiana but can't find them
Chad Forcier - Assistant for the Spurs.

Kevin O'Neill - Head coach at USC

Dan Burke - Assistant for Pacers

Chuck Person - Assistant for the Lakers. I believe I read somewhere that we offered him a spot before this season and he turned it down in favor of the Lakers.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
mavs777
Diamond Member

Person is basically the defensive coach of the lakers
Old 05-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Usually once the head jobs are filled, then it'll be clearer.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Don Nelson, maybe in the Grgurich role.

http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/05/12...mavericks.html

Quote:
The Mavericks' feel-good story has far-reaching angles. You know a lot of people are getting a vicarious thrill if Don Nelson is rooting for Mark Cuban.

The former Mavericks coach is in town and believes Dallas has a legitimate chance to do something it has never done - win it all.

It's something Nelson would love to see. He still holds the Mavericks close to his heart. And truth be known, he helped build the franchise into what it is today, although many others also had a hand in it, including his son Donnie.

Just before halftime of their Game 1 victory against the Los Angeles Lakers on Monday, things weren't looking so hot for the Mavericks.

One big man is struggling, the other is spouting off about "trust issues." Their enforcer got carried away at the end of the last game and is suspended from the next one.

"If you're in professional basketball, I think it's the hardest to do - win a title," Don Nelson said. "They haven't been the most dominant team through the season. A lot of people would say they're not the best team.

"But I think they can win it. I think things have to break right for them, and they have to continue to play at the level they've been playing. But why not?"

Why not, indeed.

Like everybody else, Nelson has been impressed with the way the Mavericks have played in the postseason, especially taking down the mighty Lakers in a four-game sweep.

Nelson retired from Golden State after the 2009-10 season. He was with the Mavericks from 1997 to 2006. He's returned to live part-time in Dallas while keeping his residence and real-estate ventures on Maui.

Nelson knows what championship basketball looks like. And he's seeing signs that the Mavericks are capable. He still has the utmost respect for Dirk Nowitzki and believes the superstar is playing the best basketball of his life.

"I'm just so excited for the Mavericks, for Dirk and the fans in the area," Nelson said. "I've been the Warriors' biggest fan first, and the Mavericks' biggest fan second. I love what they've done.

"I love the pieces they've put together and love the way the team has pulled together and learned how to win together and play together. I don't think it's the best team the Mavericks have ever had. But they might very well play as well as any team the Mavericks have ever had."

Everything from the chemistry to the addition of Tyson Chandler and Brendan Haywood "has given Dirk a great chance to win a title," Nelson said. "Dirk has been playing fantastic basketball. He's so good now, it's scary."

And Nelson believes history will be on the Mavericks' side. The 2006 loss in the NBA Finals to Miami, when Avery Johnson was coach, and the 2007 first-round playoff loss to Nelson's Warriors can be looked back on as good, albeit extremely tough, learning experiences.

"They've been on both sides of that ass-kicking," Nelson said, comparing the Game 4 122-86 whacking the Mavericks gave the Lakers on Sunday to the 2007 Warriors upset.

"We gave it to them in Game 6 (in '07), and I have a picture when it was 100-80 on the scoreboard. We were making shots like crazy. And that's what they did to LA."

Nelson has won more NBA games than any other coach in the league's history.

As Rick Carlisle said Tuesday, Nelson is a Hall of Fame coach who should already be in the Hall, even though it has yet to happen.

Nelson said a big chunk of the credit for the Mavericks' ascension up the Western Conference ranks this season should go to the coach.

"Carlisle has done a great job," Nelson said. "He's a big-time human being and has evolved into a big-time coach."

Similarly, the success the Mavericks are enjoying is a reflection on Cuban.

For years, Nelson siding with Cuban would have been like putting ketchup on ice cream. It just didn't happen.

But that's what sports can do. The Mavericks can act as a bonding agent, even for guys who weren't on speaking terms.

That, by the way, is no longer the case.

"I'm really happy for Mark Cuban," Nelson said. "I think we're doing OK - as well as we can be doing. We're texting back and forth. And it's pretty cool. I hope those guys get it done."
Old 05-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Don Nelson, maybe in the Grgurich role.

http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/05/12...mavericks.html
Wasn't there a verbal agreement back in the day with Cuban that if the Mavs won a ring, one would go to Don Nelson? I wonder if that's still redeemable, especially after '07.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Wasn't there a verbal agreement back in the day with Cuban that if the Mavs won a ring, one would go to Don Nelson? I wonder if that's still redeemable, especially after '07.
Well this probably would have happened right after he left the franchise for good.....sometime around when he joined GSW. Haha, yea, go to another team and beat the hell out of us. Didn't Bengie Molina still end up with a World Series Championship ring?