Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default "We've Forgotten Who We Are" -- Avery Johnson

I hadn't seen this anywhere...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_16780.shtml

In Dallas - Avery: "We've Forgotten Who We Are"
By Bill Ingram
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Apr 2, 2006, 17:35

Avery Johnson started by discussing the latest injury to Keith Van Horn, who has already missed 20 games this season due to injuries and will now miss the rest of the regular season and at least part of the playoffs.

"We are very, very disappointed. It seems like we can't get a break with our injuries. I haven't seen a rash of injuries like this on a team that I've been a part of in a while. We have four of our top eight players and now one of those guys breaks his thumb - it's disappointing because he was getting back. He had a nice game against Detroit, trying to get back from that knee deal, now he's out for an extended period of time. It's disappointing. I really feel bad for him, but I also feel bad that obviously we lost an important part of our rotation."

If you're feeling a sense of deja vu it's because at this point last season we were also wondering whether or not Van Horn would be able to play in the postseason. He missed the first round, but did return. The prognosis is about the same for this latest injury. They won't know until after the surgery is performed, of course, but the outlook is not good as far as the first round. Avery said they would have to wait to decide whether or not to include Keith on the playoff roster. The more immediate concern is the impact that the absence of Van Horn, Adrian Griffin, Josh Howard, and Devin Harris has had and is continuing to have on the rotation and team chemistry.

"Well, that's really part of the whole deal. When you have guys out like we've had it affects ten different things and that's one of them. But we try to weave them back in. Now we've had Josh back for a game and the good thing about getting him back for the last game was that we wanted him to make some progress to be ready for this game, then even better for the next game, and with the hope that maybe by the time we go on that next road trip that he can get back to normal. Same goes for Adrian Griffin and Devin (Harris). Both of those guys are making progress."

Avery has been frustrated of late with the play of his guys who have been healthy. He launched a tirade after the Orlando loss, in which Jameer Nelson was allowed to basically have his way with the Mavs (27 points on 10-15 shooting in 34 minutes). While it would be inappropriate to quote Avery in that moment of insanity, suffice to say he made sure Jet Terry knew how unhappy he was with that defensive effort. Think Darth Vader with the neck grip, squeezing . . .squeezing . . .squeezing . . .until Mark Cuban walked in and said "Enough!" So how does Avery feel about where his team is mentally, having had a couple of days to cool off?

"We're not there yet. We're trying to get there. I think we still have a ways to go mentally. I can see it."

It's understandable for young players to feel more pressure as the season enters late March and early April, but most of the Mavs are veterans - Dirk Nowitzki, Jet Terry, Jerry Stackhouse, Erick Dampier - these guys should be familiar with what happens at this time of year. Why are this team's veterans struggling like they are?

"It happens. <pause> I don't know. Maybe they think we're settled in the fort now. <pause> If they are . . .maybe . . .guys need things to really push them. <pause> Who knows?"

March is often referred to as the "Dog Days of March" in NBA circles because it is the month where playoff positioning is starting to be determined, but it's also the month where players start to get antsy for the playoffs to arrive. For the Mavericks March meant playing 11 of their 17 games on the road. To contrast, the team played only 11 games in February, partially due to All-Star, and nine of those were at home. Do the Dog Days contribute to a veteran team's struggling?

"Who knows what goes through their minds. In terms of two things that we don't complain about - injuries and the schedule - we feel like we came out of it alive. We've still standing. We've still had a great season. Tell me what NBA team wouldn't want to be 54-19 after losing three in a row and with four of their top eight guys out in what is, in my opinion, the toughest division in basketball. Considering the circumstances, now the focus is on the three losses, not on the 54 wins. That's why 'm trying to get the team to refocus just on having fun and playing hard-nosed defense, which we haven't done consistently enough."

The real challenge facing the Mavericks at this point is to recapture the incredible focus and sense of purpose that saw them win 19-of-20 through January and February. They're trying to do it with several key components missing and a couple of NBDL players logging major minutes. How do the Mavs recapture that magic they had earlier in the season?

"Well, hopefully they'll get that sense of urgency, but I think it will be easier to recapture it when you get the players back that helped you capture it in the first place. I don't know how much you're going to recapture with some of our younger guys in there playing big minutes. I know how much I've gotta teach with them out there. Gana Diop is not a veteran player. He's in his fifth year. He's not a veteran player. Rawle Marshall is not a veteran player and neither is Josh Powell. So, again, I don't know how much you're gonna recapture when some of your veteran guys are not there. They've gotta hold on. We have a timeframe for where we want to be when we get this thing pieced back together before we get to the playoffs."

Avery acknowledged that having guys out of the lineup affects what his team can do, but at the same time he expressed concern that the guys who are there aren't doing the things that got them to 54-19.

"We've gotta get back to playing our core defense and our core offense. Then we can think about tinkering later. We've got to get back to playing Mavericks basketball. We're trying to do that against some pretty good basketball teams. When we lose we seem to never give the other teams credit. I've been telling you that all year. These teams are good. They scout, they have good coaching, and they have good players. But because we won a few games you seem to have forgotten that."

Is that an indication that Avery sees his own team forgetting that they have to show up every night, even when the opposition is a non-playoff team like the Orlando Magic?

"Across the board we've all forgotten that. I think the Mavericks - our team - we've kind of forgotten who we are as basketball team and what made us successful. It wasn't shots on the offense. It wasn't holding the ball. We've kind of looked like some of our old teams with one guy pounding the ball instead of ball movement and player movement. We haven't been physical. Is that because we've been fatigued? I don't know. I know we've been a step slow. I can see that - mentally and physically. We just need to get back to being who we are and I think that will give us a better chance to win some of these games."

So there you have it. Avery always has his finger on the pulse of the Mavs, and HOOPSWORLD is your ultimate source of Mavs information. Be sure to catch Archer Berryman's "Inside the Mavs" report as he goes deep with the team post-game.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Avery is pissed! i like the darth vader comment too..good work el duderino
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
Avery is pissed! i like the darth vader comment too..good work el duderino
Dude, I think you ought to change your name to El Duderino. Its got a swashbuckling, gunslinger style that seems to fit you.

Gotta love the way AJ understands the challenge. He seemed to push the right buttons Sunday, because with Quis and KVH out, they were as shorthanded as ever. I like the way he refuses to let the team off the hook for losing, just because of the injuries. I also like the way Dirk has responded in these dog days. Look up leadership by example, and you will find his photo there.

I still think this will pay off in the playoffs. We'll have 4 key guys who's bodies are rested from playing only a 50 or 60 game schedule, and Dirk with increased leadership skills. We will only sort of miss Van Horn, because the good player he can be only showed up about every third game. It might be better getting no points from Powell... at least he won't be missing a bunch of 3's and creating long rebound-fast breaks opportunities for the other team. If AJ can keep the fire lit under Jet, he'll make up for KVH. Force him to shoot more 3's, because he's damned good at it.

Only 8 warm up games left...
Old 04-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The biggest key cog missing was Howard. His size and athletic ability on the permiter bothered the team's opposing swingmen. His improved runners in the lane, provided an added dimension to his game. He is the team's second best rebounder. In a number of key games, we couldn't grab a crucial miss to win the game.

Hopefully Griffin will return tommorow against Sacramento. And hopefully Devin can comeback in a week or so.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm El Duderino!

This??

or
This?

Give me the big lebowski I think!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 04-03-2006 at 11:12 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote