Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-03-2006, 12:34 AM   #1
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Default tOSU vs. UT - The Rematch

Deserving of it's own thread...

This is going down just like last year. Dual-threat, mucho potential quarterback leads his team into a hostile environment, at night, against a stout battle-tested defense.

Who ya got?
Old 09-03-2006, 01:48 AM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I was more impressed by OSU's offense than i was UT's defense. We'll see...
Old 09-03-2006, 02:15 AM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

If the Buckeyes get within ten, I'll tip my hat to them.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:26 AM   #4
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

plese don't humor those bunch of big head Ohio State fans with the "t" in tOSU

gag me.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
plese don't humor those bunch of big head Ohio State fans with the "t" in tOSU
I can't edit the thread title, but I don't object if the mods will help me out.

Anyways, I don't think there are any bucknuts around here to get off on the extra respect. I have heard resounding sentiment outta Austin that indicates Horn fans will 'kill em with kindness' this weekend (which I suppose would include the "t" flattery).

Give em their precious little "t". They already know everything's bigger in Texas.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
I was more impressed by OSU's offense than i was UT's defense. We'll see...
What exactly did OSU do to impress you? I was really unimpressed. OSU has troy smith, a solid running game and a really fast receiver that isnt great. Thats about it. Also, i know wolf is good and all but he shouldnt get 270 yards with that oline. I predict UT by 14. Smith is good enough to make it a game and maybe even pull it off but they are much more reliant on him than UT was on vince last year.

Also, the UT defense gave up 95 total yards yesterday. I dont think they were quite that dominant but they were better than the OSU O was.

Also, I think its funny that the UNT qb has the same name i do. Sadly he sucks though
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Defense is almost always ahead of offense early in the season. The fact that OSU (Smith) looked as sharp as they did in the 1st quarter (when i stopped watching) was impressive to me.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking forward to this game. t.u. has improved essentially at every position but QB, and I enjoyed watching Colt McCoy play yesterday.

Should make for great football and this Bear is hoping that t.u. pulls it off.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:17 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Defense is almost always ahead of offense early in the season. The fact that OSU (Smith) looked as sharp as they did in the 1st quarter (when i stopped watching) was impressive to me.
That "defense is ahead of the offense" thing only applies when the teams have comparable athletes on both sides of the ball.

Both Texas and OSU were so superior to their opponents that it's tough to use yesterday as a gauge of how the teams will react this weekend.

As for a prediction, I have no feel for how this thing is going to go. I hope that Chum and 5-0 are right about the margin of victory because I think Troy Smith will be the biggest difference maker on the filed and in a close game that could swing things the Buckeyes' way.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #10
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you had watched after the 1st quarter i doubt you would have been very impressed. Was part of it OSU just letting up? Yes. But a larger part of it was NI getting acclimated to the speed. Ut is just as fast as OSU and they have already played ginn so they know how fast he is.

Dirno, like i said, if its close smith could win it by himself but i dont think it will be that close plus, I dont think he will be as good as everyone else does in this game. If you look at the games he has dominated, its usually against slower defenses and the ones hes had problems in (UT last year and penn state) its against defenses with alot of speed. UT no matter what your opinion on them is fast.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #11
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Default uh-oh who's gonna cover Ted Ginn?

Nice one genius. Cause it ain't like the biggest game of the year is this week.

Top cornerback Tarell Brown arrested on marijuana, weapon charges
AAS
By Suzanne Halliburton | Monday, September 4, 2006, 11:36 AM

Longhorn starting cornerback Tarell Brown was arrested early today on marijuana and weapon charges.

Brown and former teammate Aaron Harris, a linebacker on last year’s national championship team, were booked into Travis County Central Booking Facility at 4:55 a.m. Monday.

Brown was charged with a Class A misdemeanor of unlawfully carrying a weapon. He and Harris were both charged with Class B misdemeanors of possession of 2 ounces or less of marijuana.

Longhorn football coach Mack Brown has been informed of the situation but has not yet spoken to Brown, a team official said.

The charge against Tarell Brown comes as the Longhorns begin to prepare to play No. 1-ranked Ohio State on Saturday in Austin. Brown was expected to draw the assignment of covering Ted Ginn Jr., Ohio State’s Heisman Trophy candidate at receiver.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #12
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Just one of the reasons I find it hard to root for Texas. Is that all they recruit? Criminals?
Old 09-04-2006, 05:59 PM   #13
Stylistic
Golden Member

Stylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Just one of the reasons I find it hard to root for Texas. Is that all they recruit? Criminals?
C'mon now. Every school has it's fair share of criminals. Texas has very good young men on the team. They don't recruit criminals. Ross is a beast and is very capable of guarding Ginn Jr.
Stylistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #14
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
would be easier to say if Arkansas' star player didnt hurt himself in a barfight this summer.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

That kid got booked in at 4:54 AM? Don't the coaches do a bed check during the season like every other school?
Old 09-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #16

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough

Texas by 10+.
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #17
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
would be easier to say if Arkansas' star player didnt hurt himself in a barfight this summer.
It wasn't a bar fight. Nice try, though. Even if it was...bar fight...marijuana/gun. There's really no comparison. I can't say the marijuana thing suprises me. I mean, it IS austin. The gun thing, though? I mean...is there a lot of crime down there in austin? Does he feel the need to protect himself?

Last edited by ocelot_ark; 09-04-2006 at 10:08 PM.
ocelot_ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:47 AM   #18
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
I can't say the marijuana thing suprises me. I mean, it IS austin.
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:21 AM   #19
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
swish
Old 09-05-2006, 09:32 AM   #20
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
There's a lot of marijuana use in austin. Duh.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #21
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
i have a harder time rooting for perennial losers.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:52 PM   #22
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnMan21
i have a harder time rooting for perennial losers.
Is that why you waited til 2003 to join the Mavs bandwagon?
Old 09-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #23
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Hook 'em baby!

what can i say??
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #24
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Hook 'em baby!

what can i say??
In a town as loaded with attractive women as austin is thats the best they could do?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:10 PM   #25
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Is that why you waited til 2003 to join the Mavs bandwagon?
no, that's when i found dallas-mavs.com - i attended my first mavs game in 1986 and haven't looked back since.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #26
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
In a town as loaded with attractive women as austin is thats the best they could do?
Who they? This is free-market team worship.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:45 PM   #27
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

hook em horns
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:46 PM   #28
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Hook 'em baby!

what can i say??

Schwing!!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #29
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Hook em'

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 09-07-2006 at 02:09 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:53 PM   #30
Five-ofan
Guru

I am seriously questioning my faith in UT now that Jason whitlock has said the same thing with the exact same logic. This cant be.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #31
Five-ofan
Guru

ITS FINALLY HERE. LETS GO!!!
Old 09-09-2006, 07:22 PM   #32
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Our Defense came to play.....

Now let's see Mr. McCoy
Old 09-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #33
Five-ofan
Guru

Billy pittman is a moron.

Its ok though, UT just needs to stay calm. I dont like that we arent getting any pressure.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #34
Drbio
Banned

I'm hoping t.u. wins, but that was the worst roughing call ever. What a crock. The defender hit Colt in the shoulder as he threw the ball. Stupid call by a stupid ref. THere is no helmet to helmet there either.

touchdown tu.

7-7
Old 09-09-2006, 08:54 PM   #35
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Yeah, we got a gift for our first TD. I don't feel good about this so far. For all the talk of Colt being calm about this big game for his 2nd start.... he sure looks like a College QB playing his 2nd start vs. the #1 team in the Nation. If it weren't for Selvin Young and Jamaal Charles we would be in deep you-know-what right now.

I hope the 2nd half makes me feel better....
Old 09-09-2006, 09:05 PM   #36
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I'm hoping t.u. wins, but that was the worst roughing call ever. What a crock. The defender hit Colt in the shoulder as he threw the ball. Stupid call by a stupid ref. THere is no helmet to helmet there either.

touchdown tu.

7-7
I guarantee you they didnt call helmet to helmet because its a different symbol. What they called was driving into the turf which is a stupid rule but it is a rule. I feel ok right now Ut has made ALOT of mistakes to only be down 7.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #37
Five-ofan
Guru

At least we held them to a FG, We will see what mccoy has now. PLEASE dont put snead in and i was the guy who really wanted him to play. We cant completely forget the run though. Its a 10 point game with essentially the whole second half to go. Let the rbs and the oline take over.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #38
Five-ofan
Guru

We have to try throwing the ball further than 3 yards if for no other reason than to stretch them. Throw it up to sweed.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #39
mavsgirl4134

mavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to behold

Shall I bandwagon for just a second and say go Bucks!? Nah, I'm just kidding with you longhorn fans. I'm originally from Ohio, and the Bucks are a big deal to everyone up there. I never really paid much attention to them though. But anyway, just thought I'd mess with ya guys
mavsgirl4134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:28 PM   #40
Five-ofan
Guru

I am officially nominating their punter for the ray guy award. Good lord.