Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 05-06-2002, 07:27 PM   #1
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Curtis Williams, paralyzed Washington player, dies
May 6, 2002
AP

SEATTLE (AP) Curtis Williams, paralyzed from the neck down while playing football for the University of Washington in October 2000, died Monday. He was 24.

Williams died at his brother's home in Fresno, Calif., Washington athletic department spokesman Jim Daves said.

Williams, who played safety, was injured in a helmet-to-helmet hit in a game against Stanford. He had spinal-cord surgery and was left with no voluntary muscle movement.

The Washington Huskies dedicated their victory over Purdue in the Rose Bowl in January 2001 to Williams, wearing his initials on their jerseys. Williams attended the game.

Williams returned to the school last month to watch the Huskies' annual spring game, his first trip back since the injury.

He was six classes short of earning his degree from Washington in American Ethnic Studies. He had hoped to take correspondence courses and complete the work in about a year.

AP
Old 05-06-2002, 11:02 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

sad story. very sad.

I think he was one of the Nick Buonoconti paralysis center guys too. very sad.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 12:38 AM   #3
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

this is very sad...

Old 05-07-2002, 10:08 AM   #4
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

the scary thing is this type of accident could happen to any athlete at any time...i get goosebumps just thinking about it.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:17 PM   #5
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Exactally. That is why I feel football players deserve their paychecks more than any other major sport athlete. Just the fact that in any given play, they can go from the top of the world to being paralized or even dead. Sure, there are risks in basketball, baseball and hockey, but I think they are greatest in football.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:11 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Any athlete....in any sport could have it happen.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:13 PM   #7
reeds
Golden Member

very true Drbio. I just think in football the chances are the greatest. and the wear and tear on your body is unreal..they earn it..every dime
Old 05-07-2002, 07:53 PM   #8
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

It is so sad, but I guess it is the chance you take when you play sport.

At least your guys get to wear padding. In Aussie rules, most padding is banned. Even some protective braces are banned.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 08:09 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

I always thought that was crazy OzMavs....but I loved watching Australian Rules Football on the TV.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:13 PM   #10
walker727

walker727 is on a distinguished road

I agree reeds, football by far has the greatest chance of that happening. I disagree with DrBio, you cannot be hurt like that when playing all sports.
walker727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 08:13 PM   #11
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

It is crazy, but I don't think Aussie rules footballers have nearly the muscle mass of American footballers, therefore the injuries from body contact are not as high. It is a great game to watch. I hope to make all you guys Tigers fans!

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 08:18 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

walker- quit talking out of your ass. I have seen a guy paralyzed in a swimming meet. Disagree if you want but you are dead ass wrong. Football has more wear and tear and more likelihood yes, but all sport incur risk....even if you are too hardheaded to admit it.

I'm pretty sure jayjay/joe joe/ asswipe has returned.