Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold
Default Lebron/Calipari

Heard on the News that Lebrons agent is attempting to package Lebron along with the Kentucky coach. That if a team wants Lebron they would have to hire Calipari.

I have posted before that Lebron would really fit in here. But also that I thought that RC was a handycap to signing other players. Here's the question. If we could get Lebron to sign here but it was contingent on also canning RC and hiring Calipari, should we do it?

I don't like RC especially since I talked with an ex neighbor who is a huge Pacer fan. He says that when Rick was there he also totally had no clue as to how to use their roster. The offense he ran was not suited to their personal.

That said. I would not be totally sold on the idea of Calipari for RC. Mainly because I don't know that much about Calipari. Also collage to pro coaching transitions don't always pan out. It might not be such a good idea to start with a new coach with time running out on the veterans. Especially with an unknown. But it would bring us Lebron. ????????????
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
CrazyBoy

CrazyBoy will become famous soon enough

since our second coach (casey) is heading to atlanta/miami as a headcoach, there is a spot free, next to RC
CrazyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for opening an own Lebron thread
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBoy View Post
since our second coach (casey) is heading to atlanta/miami as a headcoach, there is a spot free, next to RC
Calamari isn't leaving a cushy job at Kentucky to hold the clipboard for Rick Carlisle.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Calipari had hired LBJ's high school teammate and best buddy Brandon Weems to be a Kentucky graduate assistant...
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

RC is actually better suited to being an assistant coach.

Perhaps they are just floating the idea of the package out there to see if anyone bites? If there are not lagitimate takers they can still have LB go solo.

My question was does anyone think it would be worth it to pull the switch with RC and Calipari if it assured us Lebron?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmtalk View Post
RC is actually better suited to being an assistant coach.

Perhaps they are just floating the idea of the package out there to see if anyone bites? If there are not lagitimate takers they can still have LB go solo.

My question was does anyone think it would be worth it to pull the switch with RC and Calipari if it assured us Lebron?
No. ive been a frequent critic of RC on here but you either fire him for not getting the most out of his players, not playing his best players, not putting them in the best possible situation to win etc. but not in order to hire a two-bit scamp like Calipari.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Mike Fisher. This is all just Calipari's attempt to get his name out there.

Quote:
LeBron and the Mavs, Free Agency Myth-Busting, Episode 1,211
Calipari 'Package' Rings False - I've Got Guinea Pig Carlisle As Proof
By Mike Fisher -- DB.com

LeBron and the Mavs, Free Agency Myth-Busting, Episode 1,211 of a continuing series:

John Calipari’s got somebody – somebody representing him officially along with somebody in the media, I would guess – running sloppy interference for him. And I can establish that the whole "LeBron-Calipari Package'' angle is a sort of scam by using as guinea pigs LeBron, Calipari, the Mavericks and (at the risk of beleaguering the coach) Rick Carlisle.

Check the “news’’ as reported: Kentucky coach Calipari would be a package deal with LeBron James … but ONLY to a team that has cap room AND has a coaching vacancy.

Why?

And double-why?

Why would LeBron and Cal only join a team with “cap room’’? That makes no sense, as it exposes a flawed grasp of how NBA sign-and-trades can – and in the case of James should he leave Cleveland, almost certainly will -- work.

Why would Cal’s people suggest that he’ll only join a team with a coaching vacancy? Because he wants to appear to be the sort of person who would NEVER seek out a job that is already filled by a member of his fraternity.

Bullshit. And double-bullshit.

Logic insists that Calipari’s people are involved in this rumor. That’s why the rumor appears to be so “gentlemanly and ethical,’’ if you will, as it regards the coaching vacancy part … and that’s why the rumor appears so flawed as it regards the salary-cap part. It’s job-seeking and it’s image-building all at the same time – and it’s ham-fisted, too.

One more time, on the “cap room’’ issue:

Just to make sure you understand (and most DallasBasketball.com readers/Mavs fans apparently have a better grasp of this than some of Calipari’s people): A team does not need salary cap in order to pursue LeBron or any other free agent. All they need is trade-able assets.

So whoever created and pushed this notion (World Wide Wes or the Chicago paper or one of Cal’s minions or whomever or all of the above) does not have a future as an NBA general manager. In fact, it is hoped for the sake of Calipari’s someday-future NBA team that he didn’t construct this rumor on his own, for that would mean John Calipari does not understand the concept of the Sign-and-Trade.

One more time, on the “coaching vacancy’’ issue – this time with Rick Carlisle as the guinea pig:

The Kentucky coach is communicating to Wildcats fans that he’s not leaving the Bluegrass State. Given his history (and heck, given the history of every college coach since post-Wooden), there is no reason to assume he’s telling the truth. He may end up not leaving, though.

The “package’’ may never come together.

Consider all the moving parts: All of LeBron’s desires must be met. All of Calipari’s desires must be met. The new team needs to win the bid on LeBron. And it needs to create an attractive trade for Cleveland. And it needs to want to hire Calipari in the first place. And maybe, just maybe, it wants to seriously re-consider handing over total control of its franchise to a 25-year-old basketball player.

So Calipari puts his feelers out. (That’s what this “story’’ is, you know: “feelers.’’) And – again, hypothetically – his people and LeBron’s people contact the Dallas Mavericks with the “package deal’’ offer.

Mark Cuban responds and says, “Yes, LeBron, I will give you six years and $125 mil and a great deal of control of this franchise, and we will even play some games at Cowboys Stadium, which will be renamed “LeBron Court at Cowboys Stadium Brought To You By Gatorade.’’

Mark Cuban responds and says, “Yes, Cleveland, I will give you Caron Butler + Roddy Beaubois + JJ Barea + two No. 1 picks.’’

Mark Cuban responds and says, “Yes, fellows, I will also swap out The DUST Chip to acquire yet another top-tier player.’’

Mark Cuban responds and says, “Yes, Mr.Calipari, I will make you the highest-paid coach in all of sports. … Now, hold the phone for just a moment while I call Rick Carlisle and give him his high-priced pink slip. …’’

And then Calipari responds: “Oh, no, Mr. Cuban! Wait! Golly gee willikers! No sir, I couldn’t possibly accept a position as head coach of the Dallas Mavericks if you already have a coach in place! That would be neither gentlemanly nor ethical.’’

That’s what this “story’’ would have us believe. Therefore, the LeBron-Calipari “package’’ – as presented so far by those running interference for Calipari – is a myth.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 05-19-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Fish is the man. The Cleveland reporter who is 7 years older than LBJ, covered LBJ as a freshman in HS and throughout the Cleveland days believes LBJ will stay in Cleveland when the dust settles. Too loyal.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
wilmtalk

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Fish is the man. The Cleveland reporter who is 7 years older than LBJ, covered LBJ as a freshman in HS and throughout the Cleveland days believes LBJ will stay in Cleveland when the dust settles. Too loyal.
Wow I didn't know that President Lydon Baynes Johnson played highschool ball in Cleveland. I thought he was raised in Texas:
Old 05-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

What a HYPOTHETICAL...but hey, why not?

RC has grown out of the Honeymoon stage...I'ld argue that questions are simmering about the transition from Avery to RC...I wonder if we could take that one back?

So count me in...I signing Calipari is a package deal that brings us LeBron, then I'm in. The organization would have a stable of coaches and I would want an out-clause...if Calipari didn't IMMEDIATELY get us results, then I fire him and get me the Coach and the Staff that I want...in the process I get to keep LeBron!!!

The Mavs have been winning 50 games with nothing to show for it, what would it hurt to do the group thing in order to get THE SUPERSTAR you wanted.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
...but hey, why not?
Because there's a 99% chance you're stuck with Calipari and no Lebron for the waning years of the Dirk era.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #13
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Calipari has had two Final Four appearances vacated by the NCAA. This means that he is:

1. Unethical (not to say that the entire business isn't)
2. Stupid (for getting caught)

For either reason, he does not belong with the Mavs, and he certainly doesn't belong in a position of authority over Dirk, who is one of the most ethical and intelligent persons in the NBA.

No, I am not bitter just because Cornell is my alma mater and our dream was ended by John Wall. Okay maybe I am.
iella is offline   Reply With Quote