Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
The free throw thing is not just on opponents free throws, but also mavs free throws. He will chase down the ball if he has to.
If the opponent makes the free throw he takes the basketball and bounces it really hard with two hands. Probably to make it lopsided for a few seconds because he is so strong.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Re-Dirk-ulous

Re-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of light

FACT: Dirk has had monster games ever since I made and posted my new sig
Re-Dirk-ulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
If the opponent makes the free throw he takes the basketball and bounces it really hard with two hands. Probably to make it lopsided for a few seconds because he is so strong.
LOL

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
These hard bounces always intrigued me, I cannot figure out which possible explanation I think of to be the most likely. For the whole ft-ball-touching and bouncing before it goes back to the ref, I could have imagined distraction of the shooter, ball-sweatening, some mojo off-shaking/evoking (anybody knows whether Dirk only bounces the ball so hard off made opp.ft's?) or flat out superstition as possible reasons, but by far, that would be my favourite explanation.
It seems to make sense(it does, does it?) and still sounds kind of like a Chuck Norris-joke to me.

For the jersey-pulling, I would guess it's some semi-intentional mix of a celebration-gesture and a message to his team, the opponents, the crowd and the whole world. Kind of like "I'm on fire/We sealed it/You just got Dirked!/this is the team you're watching winning/(Because)it's Dallas/#41, remember it!" and probably even a little bit "I'm just too big/sexy for my shirt" although it might sound unfamiliar, that our modest, unselfish 7-footer could only at times have a feeling, that somebody might miss how big he is, and he is in every possible aspect.

Maybe it has also something to do with him watching soccer at times? I don't know if he does, but in Germany and certainly in most of Europe it's the most popular sport, and soccer-players are pulling and lifting their shirts frequently after scoring. Most of them not really thinking about
what they're doing, suddenly they just feel too big for their jersey's and/or showing pride for their team and themselves.

Sorry for the long post, now bring on some more weird Dirk-habits, gotta love how this thread unfolded, i can see great potential here. Maybe there are still some Dirkisms I haven't noticed yet, like the one with his intro-steps. Otherwise, you can always try to unravel them.
Somehow, I need to watch the intro next time!
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

I want to get Dirked.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dirk = clutch...again