Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-23-2002, 06:55 PM   #1
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

Everybody has been getting on them so I will give my opinion and what happened Thurs.

Nellie- First, the guy has won 1,000 games, its kinda hard to doubt him. When it comes to the closing moments I think Nellie made the right decision. Seems that a lot of people don't think he should have put NVE out their in the closing moments because of his bad play, but you have to look at it this way, it comes down to respect. I doubt if Coach Pop. from SA had a shot chart that said NVE is 1-12, the fact is he is NVE. NVE shooting 1-50 will still get more respect then Wang, Buck or Griff shooting 10-10 just by history. He has a nack for hitting big shots and I'm sure SA hasn't forgot when he hit that game winning shot against them in the WCF a couple years ago. As for forcing NVE down our throats, I don't think you can really blame Nellie for that, Nick is a probably the best ball-handler/passer on the team, and thats what he left him in for, it was up to Nick to realize he was cold and to stop shooting.

Nick- He sucked, plain and simple their is no other way to put it. But I think it is safe he won't shot 1-12 again, while he is not a great shooter he still is a 40% shooter which is no where close to 8%. I don't think you can take more out of that game then just that, he had a horrid game, its nothing to with him not being able to play in big games, he had 44 against the Bucks, 32 against the Kings, 34 against the Lakers, 31 against us. Nothing to do with the Spurs he had 25 and 15 against them eariler in the season. Unless it gets worse which is highly unlikely you can't cut his minutes, bench him or call for his head. The main thing is that we have to treat him as a equal its pretty obvious that he probably won't be here next year, not because of his play but because he is a starter, he is a top ten PG and its wrong that guys like Alvin Williams, Jason Williams, and Kenny Anderson are starting and Nick is sitting on the bench, he probably could start for 19-20 teams in the League, Dallas isn't one of them, but it doesn't matter if he is traded next year or tommorow he is a part of the team right now and I think its unfair to play "defect all the blame to the new guy" if one of the big shot 1-12 I don't think we would be talking about benching them or cutting their minutes, Why? Because we know they are better then that and they can contribute to the team a whole hell of a lot, and NVE is no different.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2002, 07:06 PM   #2
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Nick is an elite player and he really wants to succeed. I think he's still adjusting to the new environment. Maybe Nellie thinks that a little trial by fire is the best way to get Nick going. He's had some bad games, and Thursday he just had a suck-ass game. But regardless of how bad he's been at times, he'll be good to go come playoff time, I'm sure of it.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 09:30 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< Nick is a probably the best ball-handler/passer on the team >>

I agree with everything in your post except this. Nash looks to be better in both categories.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 10:01 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

getting NVE going isn't the most important thing to me..and shouldn't be the most important thing to the mavs when they are in a dogfight with dirk, fin,and nash all hot..especially in that important of a game.

i'm sorry, but NVE isn't one of the top three scorers on this team. he's simply not.

if you want to concentrate on getting NVE going instead of doing what it takes to win the SA game, that's fine.

it just seems that nellie's priorities were screwed up a bit.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 10:18 PM   #5
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

<<

<< Nick is a probably the best ball-handler/passer on the team >>

I agree with everything in your post except this. Nash looks to be better in both categories.
>>

I like Steve Nash but Nicky is a better passer and ball handler than Steve. I'd still tather have Steve running the starting point but when they are both on the court I think Nash should be the one to play the 2.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 10:26 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i don't nve running he point if he can run the point as smart as nash does... yes, he may be as good of a passer and ball handler as nash.. however, when at the point position, nve makes alot of poor decisions on shot selection as opposed to nash who, in general, has a pretty solid shot selection.

if nve can play smart, i have no problem with him playing point when him and nash are in the game
Old 03-24-2002, 01:10 AM   #7
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

The first thing I noticed about tonight's game when I got there: NVE, Avery and Buck were the only Mavs who participated in the pre-pregame shootaround. Almost every Grizz player shot, but NVE was out there at 6:15 shooting. You know he wants to get going, and tonight was a good start.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:26 AM   #8
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope that by the time the playoffs start that he's on track to the point where he can be a weapon, either in the running game or as a scorer. No different than what I would have hoped to see from Hardaway, only knowing that Hardaway really couldn't push the ball that well anymore.
Old 03-24-2002, 11:10 AM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Vescey from the NY Post wrote today

Just so we're clear on this, I've written off Nick Van Exel's 1-for-12 FG first Maverick start (3-point home loss to Spurs) as nothing more than an off night. Always give a sucker an even break, that's my motto. After all, it's been a while since Van Exile has played in a meaningful game.

Then again, maybe Thursday's malfunction is indicative of why the Nuggets played so few meaningful games while their offense was Little Nicky's principal responsibility.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 05:09 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Does Vescey ever print anything positive? Does he ever get anything right?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 09:00 PM   #11
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

I am sure everyone knows this since it was mentioned on the broadcast last night, but it seems NVE has some sort of muscle pull or strain around the rib cage area. He had Thurs. night as well but didn't complain about it, he wants to play.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I have had similar injury in my days as an athelete, and it does affect your performance. I can see why it would also affect your shots, especially the long ones.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 10:16 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

being a poor shooter to begin with doesn't help
Old 03-24-2002, 11:51 PM   #13
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

<< being a poor shooter to begin with doesn't help >>

*sniff*.... *sniff*....

does anyone else smell that?

Murph's getting ready to lock in on a new whipping boy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Not to imply that Nick's a great shooter, the stats don't lie. He's a streaky guy, and he took lots of shots for 4 years in Denver. Over the long run, his percentage might go up just a little now that his shots are down. Ya never know.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:11 AM   #14
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

In Denver, Nick was pretty much the only above average scorer they had (McDyess out most of the time). It is a lot easier to get into a rhythm when taking 15-20 shots a game. Going to the bench is hard for a perenial starter.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 04:37 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

if it's alot easier to get into rhythm with 15-20 shots, why did he so rarely do so?

yes, nve is a good scorer but a pretty bad shooter.
he's not going to be a whipping boy.
i like him for his defense, passing, and ball handling abilities.

however, i think he should be, at best, the 4th option offensively on average