Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-24-2002, 02:03 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the link

Mavericks fans have had their last look at guard Tariq Abdul-Wahad for this season.

Coach Don Nelson said Abdul-Wahad's left knee is in such bad shape that he will be unable to play again this season, including in the playoffs.

"He won't be ready to play this year because that knee needs a lot of time off," Nelson said. "It's a very bad knee, and it's going to need about six months before it completely heals.

"He needs a long time off, so next year will be his year."

The Mavericks acquired Abdul-Wahad from Denver on Feb. 21 as part of a seven-player trade that also brought Raef LaFrentz and Nick Van Exel to Dallas. But Abdul-Wahad played only 24 minutes in four games for the Mavericks - he was scoreless with six rebounds - before being placed on the injured list March 5 with a sore left knee.

"My leg is not strong enough, and there's still swelling in the knee," Abdul-Wahad said. "It has to get healthy, and I have to get ready for what's going to happen after the season.

"I've been injured for three years, but it's life. Sometimes you have good times, and sometimes you have bad times."
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2002, 03:38 PM   #2
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

And how big is his contract? *sigh*
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 05:20 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone say...Trent II?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 06:37 PM   #4
TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 will become famous soon enoughTwoDeep3 will become famous soon enough

If the team was previously over the cap, then what difference does it make how much he earns?
Old 03-25-2002, 12:54 AM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

6 months for his knee to heal?

I don't mind waiting for him to get healthy and being able to use him next season as long as Buckner and Griffin can stay healthy.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:00 AM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I read somewhere that Abdul-Wahad was having difficulty learning Nellie's system (remember the trouble that Eschmeyer had). Nellie probably didn't feel that he would make a meaningful contribution this year so he gave them both a dignified "out".
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 12:05 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

MFF- 6 months is not unreasonable depending on the injury. I have fought bad knees for years....of course I am old and worn out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2002, 12:07 AM   #8
Drbio
Banned

I read somewhere that Abdul-Wahad was having difficulty learning Nellie's system (remember the trouble that Eschmeyer had). Nellie probably didn't feel that he would make a meaningful contribution this year so he gave them both a dignified "out".

I was wondering this myself. I think Nellie asked him to literally take one for the team. He is not needed right now.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:09 AM   #9
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

<< Can anyone say...Trent II? >>

No, more like...&quot;Trent it&quot;. Obvious replacement for an obviously publicly unexceptable word. There's the door, guy. To the right four doors down.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:49 PM   #10
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

This is good for the Mavs, and good for TAW. There's a reason the guy got that mammoth contract. He was a pretty good player before he got hurt, and he just hasn't been able to get healthy. All of this time off might result in him finding his game again, and there's nothing wrong with that!
Old 03-26-2002, 06:06 PM   #11
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

He's gonna be here awhile, unless Cuban pulls off another unlikely trade. So I'm pulling for the guy.

He's not Trent YET... he's only had the one knee injury, but it's a biggie. Trent had 423 injuries to each part of his body.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 11:05 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Nice spin on that ocelot.
Old 03-26-2002, 11:07 PM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Good point Ocelot...

I wasn't trying to downplay a knee injury, I just thought he would have had enough time to heal already. I guess rest is the best deal for him and the Mavs in the long haul.