Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-09-2002, 12:41 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

This is a Peter Vescey trade, so stop here if you know what I mean. Miami would get the better deal from Portland than they would us.

How about also redistricting Portland? While the modern-day Jail Blazers have proven they can't give the Lakers much of a game, I'd just feel a whole lot more comfortable having these miscreants in my time zone ... if not in their entirety, then piecemeal.

(Sources tell me Trader Bob Whitsitt is angling to organize a three-way deal which would send Damon Stoudamire and Zach Randolph to the Heat. In exchange, Portland wants Miami's No. 1 pick - 10th overall, intending to use it on 6-10 Amare Stoudemire, the cream of the latest high school crop - and apparently is agreeable to taking Penny Hardaway from the Suns. To complete the primary part of the package, the Heat would forward Brian Grant to Phoenix).

Old 06-09-2002, 01:04 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Vescey hasn't reported an accurate trade before it happened in his career.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 06:03 PM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Trade doesn't seem to accomplish much, other than to move Stoudamire closer to a larger source of illegal substances.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 06:15 PM   #4
PeterVecseyisdumb

PeterVecseyisdumb is an unknown quantity at this point

I am surprised that Stoudamire is expected to go so low in the draft. He is athletic, he has size, and he has a high upside.
PeterVecseyisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 06:17 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Maybe the name Stoudamire is scaring them off.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:23 PM   #6
PeterVecseyisdumb

<< Maybe the name Stoudamire is scaring them off. >>

I think Stoudamire went to a lot of different high schools. So maybe they are worried about that. Maybe they are worried if his head is on straight. I have no idea, why Stoudamire is expected to go so low in the draft.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:52 PM   #7
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Stoudamire is getting pushed down because a combination of

a) No offensive game at all
b) Euromania
c) Proven/potential power forwards

Stoudamire is being compared to Ben Wallace. He can run, has quickness, rebound, block shots, but like Wallace he has **no** offensive** game at all. Most of the high schoolers coming out recently had some type of offensive games, whether it be post ups, jumpshooting, penetration. This kid scores on garbage things. And that is hurting his stock a little bit. Also, there are several Euros being talked about in the top 10. Tskida and Nene, both are going to be probably selected in the lottery. ^Tskida is the more &quot;obscure&quot; of the 2 since he doesn't even get off the bench in his own league. But they say he's quicker and more athletic than Dirk. Nene is raw offensively but he is a better all around player than Stoudamire, and being 19 has trememdous upside. And finally there are several other power forwqrds that are being talked about going in the lottery, Gooden and Wilcox. Both are a little more proven than Stoudamire, and pushing his stock down somewhat.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 07:07 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

There are worse things than being compared to Ben Wallace.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:12 PM   #9
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< There are worse things than being compared to Ben Wallace. >>

True--and there are worse things than being a top 10 pick in the draft (even if its really #10).
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 07:12 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Sounds to me like we may be splitting hairs.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:17 PM   #11
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

I'm just suggesting that if you went back to redo the draft in which Wallace went undrafted, someone would obviously take the Defensive Player of the Year this time around. But he probably still wouldn't be the first pick of the draft. That's why Amare--who's upside seems to be a potential Wallace, is a lottery pick but not a top 5.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 07:41 PM   #12
PeterVecseyisdumb

I think the first team that Ben Wallace went to in the nba, tried to make him a guard.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:44 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Won't argue with that Hoops.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:46 PM   #14
PeterVecseyisdumb

I think the Dallas Mavericks had Nene work out for them. It makes me wonder if the mavs have a plan to try to get him.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:49 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Where did you see that?
Old 06-09-2002, 07:52 PM   #16
PeterVecseyisdumb

<< Where did you see that? >>

Drbio, which post are you talking about?
Old 06-09-2002, 08:19 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Both of the last 2...actually.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:46 PM   #18
PeterVecseyisdumb

<< Both of the last 2...actually. >>

<< I think the first team that Ben Wallace went to in the nba, tried to make him a point guard. >>

I think I saw that on the internet.

<< I think the Dallas Mavericks had Nene work out for them. It makes me wonder if the mavs have a plan to try to get him. >>

I think I saw that on the internet.

Old 06-09-2002, 08:48 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Oh. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2002, 08:49 PM   #20
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Boston was the team that worked Wallace out as a guard. The reason? With the afro he may be 6'8&quot; but he's really around 6'6&quot;. But I will say it wasn't Boston's finest hour. But then again, Wallace went from obscurity to stardom overnight.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 01:39 PM   #21
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

More on the Heat rumors.

HEAT NOTEBOOK
Grant in trade rumors
Suns might be interested in forward

ON THE BLOCK: Heat power forward Brian Grant is being shopped around by Miami with Phoenix being a possible taker.

The Heat has been gauging league-wide interest in Brian Grant, according to an NBA general manager. The Phoenix Suns would like to trade guard Penny Hardaway and need a physical frontcourt player such as Grant.

But a three-team scenario involving the Heat, Suns and Portland Trail Blazers isn't likely to happen in its current form, according to an official with one of the teams.

A report by Peter Vecsey in the New York Post said Portland is trying to orchestrate a deal that would send point guard Damon Stoudamire and power forward Zach Randolph to Miami, the Heat's No. 1 draft pick (10th overall) and Hardaway to Portland, and Grant to Phoenix. An Eastern Conference GM confirmed hearing that scenario.

But the Heat is not thought to have much interest in the 5-10 Stoudamire, who has three years left on a seven-year, $81 million contract. A sign-and-trade involving Blazers free agent shooting guard Bonzi Wells could hold more appeal to Miami.

A straight-up trade with Phoenix isn't realistic for Miami, because of Hardaway's diminishing skills and onerous contract (four years left on a seven-year, $87 million deal).

Another league source said an ESPN Internet report linking Heat guard Eddie Jones and the No. 10 pick to Memphis for the No. 4 pick, Michael Dickerson and Brevin Knight isn't likely to happen. The Grizzlies believe they can find a player as good or better than Jones, for a lot less money, with the fourth pick.

Also, the Heat would have qualms about assuming the contracts of Dickerson (six years, $45 million left) and Knight (two years, $12 million left).

Old 06-11-2002, 04:29 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

no mention of Dallas...

Vescey is only a half step above Valade and you know how crappy she is.