Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-24-2004, 11:46 AM   #1
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough
Default Doc Rivers/Mavericks-small mention by Stein

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The Warriors made a much-needed credibility move Thursday by promoting Chris Mullin before the coming-soon firing of coach Eric Musselman. The assumption in some circles held that Golden State's upper management would force Garry St. Jean to fire the coach, thereby allowing Mullin to step into his new role controversy-free.

Of course, the more widespread perception around the league is that Mullin has been the chief decision-maker on the Warriors' basketball staff for months. Formally making the switch now ends the charade.

Another widely held suspicion about the Warriors has Mullin naming former teammate Rod Higgins as Musselman's replacement. Higgins certainly appears to be the top candidate, and Spurs assistant Mario Elie is another interesting name, but don't rule out a run at Byron Scott.

Not because it would give the Warriors a shot to recruit Kobe Bryant -- although Kobe has said he'd love to play for his old teammate someday -- but because Byron is a tough guy and a proven winner. The Warriors could use both commodities.

The Warriors would be wise to consider Byron Scott as their next head coach.
And Byron's highly available. He hasn't been mentioned prominently for any job lately, in part because his ABC colleague Doc Rivers -- now being increasingly mentioned in Dallas as a potential replacement for the under-fire Don Nelson -- has emerged as the darling of this summer's coaching market.

There is a link between Mullin and Scott, incidentally, albeit a somewhat distant link. They never played together, but both served in the same elder-statesman role late in their playing careers with Indiana, Mullin after Scott.

Now you know why the Grizzlies, no matter what you hear about the Lakers being Feared By All, would have preferred to play L.A. instead of the Spurs in Round 1, in spite of the torment this would have caused Jerry West. Memphis' success is built largely on its transition game and 3-point shooting. The Lakers would have given the Grizz a chance to play at their preferred speed. San Antonio rarely does.

Don't know about you, but I'm curious to see Bobby Jackson's reaction Saturday night in Dallas when Antawn Jamison gets the Sixth Man Award before the game. Knowing how competitive Jackson is, it might make him mad enough to rescind his plan to sit out the entire playoffs and suit up before the end of the first round.

You watch: New Orleans' Tim Floyd will be replaced faster than Boston's John Carroll, an interim coach, after the first round ends.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2004, 11:51 AM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Doc Rivers/Mavericks-small mention by Stein

Irrespective of the 18 game losing streak to open the season (or whatever it was), listening to Doc's commentary causes me to weep for the future of any franchise that hires him. No thanks.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:28 PM   #3
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Doc Rivers/Mavericks-small mention by Stein

my thoughts exactly, grndmstr_c.

Doc Rivers seems to be up there with the biggest mavs haters.
I bet he'd use every press conference as a chance to say that the other team is probably just better than the mavs, and that the players he has (as mavs coach) just don't know how to play defense. What a crappy coach that would be, huh?

Byron scott, though, is a maybe.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:41 PM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

It has nothing to do with whether or not he likes the Mavs. He comes off as not really knowing what he's talking about. That's what bothers me.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:46 AM   #5
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Boy, so now is a bad time to say I think he'd make a good coach for the Mavs?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:27 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Irrespective of the 18 game losing streak to open the season (or whatever it was), listening to Doc's commentary causes me to weep for the future of any franchise that hires him. No thanks.
For the record....he is referring to Doc Rivers. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:36 AM   #7
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Boy, so now is a bad time to say I think he'd make a good coach for the Mavs?
Really?

He'd make a good backup point guard, but I don't know about coach.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:54 AM   #8
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I think he can be a good coach somewhere, but I'm not sure he's what the Mavericks need. When he first came into the league as a coach, Rivers' strength was his credibility with contemporary players as a playoff-hardened vet, along with his ability to relate to and motivate young players. Like Nellie, however, (cf Webber in GS), he got at cross purposes with McGrady, and totally lost the ability to manage the team.

Also, like Nellie, he got an undertalented team to overachieve a bit in Orlando, but never could turn the next corner.

Unlike Nellie, Rivers seems to understand (or at least gives lip service) to the importance of a team's being able to play defense to be successful in the playoffs.

For him to be the coach for the Mavs, I'd want to have seen him do more with another team. I don't think the Mavs' timeframe is right for a coach who needs to climb a learning curve.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:03 PM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For him to be the coach for the Mavs, I'd want to have seen him do more with another team. I don't think the Mavs' timeframe is right for a coach who needs to climb a learning curve.
I agree, but the problem with wanting an experienced coach that emphasizes defense to take Nellie's spot is, "Who's that gonna be?" I can only think of one guy who fits that description.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:26 PM   #10
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
I agree, but the problem with wanting an experienced coach that emphasizes defense to take Nellie's spot is, "Who's that gonna be?" I can only think of one guy who fits that description.

Good question?

Riley isn't happening (at least I don't think so).
I don't like the idea of George Karl, or Eric Musselman, or Jeff Bzdelik with this team.
Rudy T, Byron Scott? ? maybe, but with too many questions.

Who could come in here, and strengthen the defense of the Mavs while not destroying the offense?

I think perfect coach would be POP, but could Mark pry him from SA? ? Second best IMO would be Jeff Van Gundy, and that isn't happening either.

I have no idea who could replace Nellie,whom has experience, outside of people already in house - and if you do that, why replace Nellie?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:56 PM   #11
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Jerry Sloan, but tha is unlikely either.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:12 PM   #12
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

The coach is out there, it's just a matter of Cuban (or the search committee he hires) finding him. Four of the most desirable candidates weren't big names when they were hired.

Pat Riley - TV Analyst
Jerry Slaon - Career assistant
Hubbie Brown - Out there for the taking for more than a decade
Phil Jackson - CBA coach and NBA assistant

Sometimes you have to think outside the box. I don't see him stepping out of his cushy studio job, but I've always felt that Kenny Smith would be a good coach. I don't know how strong he would be as fars as x's and o's, but you can always to the Larry Bird rout and hire a Dick Harter to handle that aspect. The downside would be every player in the league trying to career against you because of something Kenny said as an Analyst.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Edit Before going to Utah, Sloan coached three season in Chicago with a winning % of .437
Old 04-26-2004, 02:29 PM   #13
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

Doc Rivers is a horrible coach.

Looking at what's available, I'd go with B-Scott. He brings that F'em attitude that NVE used to have. A tough guy as a coach could be just what the doctor ordered for the Mavs. He'd stress alot more D for the Mavs but he would still keep that free-flowing offense that makes the Mavs so tough.

Riley is a god, he would work wonders for the Mavs, so would Chuck Dailey.

P.S. Phil Jackson's contract is up this year.

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:34 PM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
P.S. Phil Jackson's contract is up this year.
That'd make for an interesting storyline.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:02 PM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

No way Phill accepts the challenge of coming here. The deck is not stacked high enough in his favor.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:23 PM   #16
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
No way Phill accepts the challenge of coming here. The deck is not stacked high enough in his favor.
If the Lakers break up then the Mavs have as good of a chance as anyone. There aren't many job openings with teams that have as many top players as the Mavericks currently have.

Jackson would be amazingly successful here. Dirk would be the go-to guy (which he is certainly able to do) and everyone else would be the role players to get the ball to Dirk. We'd have to trade off Walker and maybe Jamison to get some low post defense but the triangle offense would work really well with the rest of the players we have.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:39 PM   #17
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Jackson is probably even more manipulative of players' psyches than Nellie is. The difference is that his manipulation usually serves to motivate the player, as opposed to just covering his own ass. The other difference, of course, is that he's been successful with it.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:18 PM   #18
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

We might strike out and get somebody like Rivers. But then again we might get a good coach a la Porter, Sloan, Jackson etc.

But if Mark Cuban is scared to fire Nellie because he doesn't see **anything better** out there then this franchise will be stuck in the same rut of good team not great team. Because that is Nelson's MO and nothing has changed with him.

So if Cuban really wants to win a championship, he has to get rid of Nellie immediately and find a good proven vet like Jackson or an up and coming coach a la Porter.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:31 PM   #19
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Jackson or Riley. Either one would be amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson ended up outside of L.A. next year taken Malone and Payton probably aren't gonna be there, and Kobe is leaving.

As for Rivers - Doc Rivers would make a better starting center for this team than he would a coach. I don't want to see him anywhere near Dallas. Ever. Period.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:52 PM   #20
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
If the Lakers break up then the Mavs have as good of a chance as anyone. There aren't many job openings with teams that have as many top players as the Mavericks currently have.

Jackson would be amazingly successful here. Dirk would be the go-to guy (which he is certainly able to do) and everyone else would be the role players to get the ball to Dirk. We'd have to trade off Walker and maybe Jamison to get some low post defense but the triangle offense would work really well with the rest of the players we have.
I could be wrong, but he strikes me as a guy who is now so concerned with his legacy and image that he wouldn't risk taking a job unless he was 100% he could win a title. That being said, if he were to come here that would be a positive sign.

Another advantage (at least from Cuban's perspective) of signing Jackson...Nash becomes disposable. Don't really need a true PG in the triangle. As we speak Gary Payton is turning into Derek Fisher.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:59 AM   #21
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

If somehow Shaq will come with him, I'd love to see Jackson as the Mavs head coach. If not, then I would question. For the triangle to work well, you really need a 2/3 that can "do it all" ala Jordan and Bryant. That isn't Fin, Daniels, or Howard. Nowitzki would have to become that guy.

Funny, but if you traded say Nash, Walker, Finley for Shaq, Fischer, George and signed Jackson as the coach.....lineup:

Shaq, Bradley
Nowitzki, Najera
Jamison, Howard
Daniels, George
Fischer

I actually believe that Derek Fischer is a better PG for the triangle offense than Payton, because of the role he has been doing for years.
Shaq down low, Daniels and Jamison on backside cuts, Nowitzki on the drive or shot, Fischer spotted up at the top of the key. Simple offense that would work anytime.

When Shaq were out, either Jamison or Nowitzki would be low. Defense could be pretty good as well.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:56 PM   #22
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

If Nelson does get fired, then I would not like Doc Rivers as the Mavs coach. He was good guard who had a good head for the game, but I'm not convinced that he is a good coach yet. I'd rather get a proven guy.

I'd prefer to get Rudy T out of retirement.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 06:24 PM   #23
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Eric Mussleman would be my choice. He's done an incredible job in GS, but because of players in and out and injuries, he hasn't been able to get the consistency this year as he had in the previous year.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:04 PM   #24
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Eric Mussleman would be my choice. He's done an incredible job in GS, but because of players in and out and injuries, he hasn't been able to get the consistency this year as he had in the previous year.
Actually I don't think that's a bad idea. I think he is going to be the "next big coach" sometime in the future. He is extremely talented. With more talent I think he could be deadly. And he's the "up and comer" type that Cuban needs to look for when he fires Nellie.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:25 AM   #25
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I like Doc just fine, but I don't think he's a good fit here. To be perfectly honest, I think he's a little overrated as a coach...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote