Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmtalk View Post
Notice I said potential? I was in my post refering to the point you make about the availability of players like him in the league. He is the type of player who's potential impact would be difficult to replace. I was at first not really happy when the Mavs resigned Kidd to a 3 year contract. When they drafted Roddy my oppinion changed because with him on the floor Kidds shortcomings would be compensated for by a player with Roddys skills both on offense and defense. With the acquision of TC Kidds defensive libilities are less of a handicap because Chandler is the second line of defense for the quick guards that Kidd has trouble defending.

Roddy in essense is quick enough to defend the quick guards while also being able to break down the defense off the dribble which Kidd can no longer do. Why do you think JJB gets all his time on the floor. He brings those qualities which are lacking in the other guards on this team. Kidd is still a major asset to this team as long as he is teamed with the right players.

They main point of my post was that some of the players that other posters seem to be desperate to acquire might not really fit on this team. The two's they are promoting are generally defensive libilities. Yes Chandler makes up for a lot of that but he can't be on the floor all the time and is effective primarily in the zone. Remember why the team plays the zone-- To cover for the weak man to man defense of the prerimiter players. Do we really need another ball dominant offensive player who will hurt us on defense? Also remember the initial problem that Butler had fitting into the offense. How long would it take another ball dominant player to adjust if at all. It's a major gamble. Wait till Dirk is really on the decline. Dirk has shown that he can still consistantly carry the offense. I remember when a lot of posters were b*tching that Dirk wasn't getting the ball enough earlier in the season. .Bring in Martin or another player like him with out giving up Butler and Dirk will most likely never see the ball on offense. You'll turn him into just another spot up shooter. There is only one ball in the game at a time.

What this team needs is a player who will be primarily be able to break down the D off the dribble. They have plenty of defensive libility shooters who are major assets in fantasy leagues. The former is the type of player that Roddy represents. Martin also has that ability but as you have yourself said Martin is not in Roddys league in that respect. Martin and players like him represent mostly an offensive upgrade to simular players skills already on the team. We don't need another player who might be a defensive libility especially on the perimiter. Sure Chandlers presence compensates for that but Dirk presence also compensates on the offensive end. The difference is that Dirk has a history of being consistantly healthy.

You say that you don't know what kind of player Roddy is! Did you miss the games that he was allowed to play last year? Perhaps you were refering to the unknown factor of his recovery. But he is what this team with the roster as it is now really needs so much more than they would need a player like Martin or Iggy with a far less cost to the cap.

Also I believe that ball dominant players, especially those who were the primary scoring options on losing teams, more often than not get locked into a pattern of play that they need to get rid of when the are placed on a winning team. Post players like Gasol don't have the same problem adjusting because they are not primary ball handlers such as a two guard would most certainly be..
Most of the candidates proposed for being Dirks robin actually would end up wanting to be Batman. Why do you think the Kings traded Martin in the first place. He couldn't share the floor with Evens.
Roddy had a really great, limited rookie year. I don't think that we can assume he's going to be a 50/40/80 guy for the rest of his year, average 20 ppg, and make the all-NBA team a few times just because of some nice games against crappy teams the coaches knew he'd excel at. I'm a huge Roddy fan, love his potential, and fully believe he can do that. Assuming he can, though, especially due to his injury that appears troublesome, is rather ludicrous. Once again, I love Roddy and I want him back as soon as possible because I know that if he can translate his skills we saw last year into extending minutes, he will be a huge help. But its too early to know that for sure.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
return of the quack!