Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-16-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold
Default Kaman Long-Term Extension/ Compare to Josh

The Clippers moved to reach a long-term contract agreement with Chris Kaman on Sunday night, offering the productive 7-foot center a five-year, $50-million extension, team sources said.

I was just wondering if anyone wanted to compare this contract with Josh's situation. I mean in a way i think that Kaman deserves it, he playes hard every nite and gets his job done, but by saying that he deserves its hard to argue that Josh deserves anything less.

Any thoughts??

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

That nut shot was at least worth 5 million to keep him going
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:59 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's difficult to compare players that play different positions...especially when you're comparing someone at a position that is generally at a strength for the league in SF compared to someone that plays a position of weakness for the league with the center spot. Centers generally get compensated more for similar production compared to those that play other positions.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:58 PM   #4
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Hes worth more than Josh. For one he plays a MUCH more important position. Also, Kaman is a better individual player...
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:15 PM   #5
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Kaman's better than Josh. I also don't think he's better then Boris Diaw, or David West but it just got harder for PXH, OK City and Dallas to agree to terms with their key FA's.

Kaman is a good player who stands out even more because he's a scorer playing a position that’s bereft of scorers. Those other three guys are bigger difference makers.

The Clippers have to keep him and the market for centers if inflated so i'm sot saying it's a horrible offer. That being said, I’m sure the agents for Josh, Diaw and West will use that as a starting point.

Last edited by dirno2000; 10-16-2006 at 10:16 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:19 PM   #6
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

a 7 for 50 mil offer for Josh wouldn't be too bad, it's a little long, but not too bad a price tag when we were talking 5 for 50 earlier.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:35 PM   #7
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Its five for 50, the same we were talking about for Josh, Dirno I think they are comparable, you are right though, i shouldnt have said it so matter of factly as though they couldnt be argued. However he is without question worth more contract wise because hes a 7ft center.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:44 PM   #8
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

kaman is a very good player

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:35 AM   #9
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

caveman...better individual player than josh?? really?

i see time and time again josh beating players off the dribble...having double digit rebounding nights for a SF. josh individually plays defense pretty well too.

i dont think we can sign players for 7 years anymore...according to the new CBA..the max is 5 correct? with option for 6? or something like that?
Old 10-17-2006, 02:40 AM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it would be more appropriate to compare Barbosa's extension (5 and 33), as he was drafted just before Howard and has also done well for himself.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:36 AM   #11
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball
caveman...better individual player than josh?? really?

i see time and time again josh beating players off the dribble...having double digit rebounding nights for a SF. josh individually plays defense pretty well too.

i dont think we can sign players for 7 years anymore...according to the new CBA..the max is 5 correct? with option for 6? or something like that?
12 and 10 or 16 and 7? Fairly close numbers wise.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:50 AM   #12
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Dunleavy Confirms Offer

By Jason Reid, Times Staff Writer
October 17, 2006

PHOENIX — Coach Mike Dunleavy confirmed Monday that the Clippers have offered 7-foot center Chris Kaman a multiyear contract extension.

Dunleavy declined to comment on financial terms, but team sources said the offer is for five years and $50 million guaranteed.

And now things could get interesting.

Under NBA rules, Kaman has until Oct. 31 to accept. If the offer is rejected, Kaman would become a restricted free agent after this season, and the Clippers could match any offer he received from another team.

The Clippers are not expected to offer Kaman much more because of salary-cap concerns, and Kaman intimated he and agent Rob Pelinka had envisioned a higher average salary. As the Clippers prepared to play the Phoenix Suns in an exhibition tonight at US Airways Center, Kaman was the center of attention.

"I'm not going to go for what's under market value for my position after how I performed last year and what I know I'm capable of," said Kaman, who also declined to discuss specifics of the offer after practice. "If we don't get something done, we can always wait until the summer and see what happens then."

Kaman, who has a salary of almost $3.5 million in the final season of his current contract, would receive a raise to about $8.5 million in the first year of the new offer, which Dunleavy presented to Pelinka on Sunday night after owner Donald T. Sterling, General Manager Elgin Baylor and Andy Roeser, executive vice president, agreed last week on a package that would average $10 million.

At the prodding of Baylor and Dunleavy, Sterling, who in the past has let the market set the worth of the team's restricted free agents, took a proactive approach in approving the major offer to Kaman.

However, it might not be enough.

Responding to reporters' questions about his situation, Kaman repeatedly referenced the contracts of centers Samuel Dalembert of the Philadelphia 76ers and Tyson Chandler of the New Orleans Hornets.

In August 2005, Dalembert signed a six-year, $64-million extension and Chandler received a six-year, $63-million contract from the Chicago Bulls, who traded him to the Hornets in a multiplayer deal in July.

Neither player has been as productive overall as Kaman, who had personal-best averages of 11.9 points, 9.6 rebounds and 1.38 blocked shots last season while shooting 52.3% from the field and 77% from the free-throw line.

The 76ers rewarded Dalembert after he averaged 8.2 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.68 blocked shots. In Chandler's best season before his extension, he averaged 8.0 points, 9.7 rebounds and 1.76 blocked shots.

"I know what guys have gotten most recently with Dalembert and Tyson Chandler," Kaman said. "I know what they did in their years when they got paid, and I think my numbers are probably a little bit better in some areas."

Based on his opinion about his standing in the game, Kaman is believed to be seeking a five-year contract averaging at least $11 million a season — more than Dalembert and Chandler.

But with Kaman at an average of $11 million, the Clippers would approach the luxury-tax threshold if they, as planned, offer a multiyear extension to backup point guard Shaun Livingston before the 2007-08 season.

"Honestly, I think this was a very significant offer that was made to Chris, and we'd obviously like to see this get done," Dunleavy said. "We think it would be in the best interest of our club and best for Chris as well, but there is a deadline."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:58 AM   #13
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Kaman isn't as good or as valuable as Josh IMO. Josh deserves 5 year 50mil, theres no way he's taking anything less considering if he hits the fa market next year he will get a lot more than that probably. The only reason Kaman got what he got was because of the position that he plays.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #14
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

double double > sf

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #15
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
12 and 10 or 16 and 7? Fairly close numbers wise.
q=)

so if dampier got 12 and 10

would he be better than josh? q=P
Old 10-17-2006, 02:04 PM   #16
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball
q=)

so if dampier got 12 and 10

would he be better than josh? q=P
Without question
Old 10-17-2006, 03:08 PM   #17
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I rreally think that kaman shouls accept this, he might not get a better offer in frree agency, i mean its a lot of money. As for Josh, he defenitly doesnt deserve more, maybe the same but not more.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote