Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-26-2005, 09:56 AM   #121
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all
Default RE:Star Wars: Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith

Some thoughts on the movie:

-By far the best of the new 3

-Found it cool how Anakin turned to the dark side in order to save Padme from dying, when in actuality it was turning to the dark side that killed Padme

-George Lucas really likes dismemberment

-Liked seeing R2D2 set droids on fire

-knowing that certain characters will stay alive kind of takes some of the suspense out of scenes, like Anakin vs. Obi Wan on the lava. 'Gee, I hope Obi Wan doesn't die', you never really feel that

-what the hell was Grevious? a serpent-creature in armor? A droid-alien combination? Cool though, whatever the hell he was

-Ian McDiarmid is freaking awesome

-Thought the rainbow colored wookies' vegetable launchers were a bit primitive of weapons to fight the enemy with (wait, I think that was a dream I had, actually)

-Liked having to see JarJar for only 5 seconds

-Wanted to see more wookies
Old 05-26-2005, 10:02 AM   #122
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
And what's up with the SUV-from-hell batmobile? The philosophy behind that decision just rubs me the wrong way.
The philosophy is to appeal to the viewers' perceived buying trend. Since a large percentage of the automobiles sold in the U.S. are SUV's, then they assume that a large percentage of their viewers also buy SUV's. The result is the decision to have a "batmobile" that would appeal to the viewer.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:37 AM   #123
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Star Wars: Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith

I was being rhetorical, kingrex. I just didn't like the choice. When I go see the story of the origins of Batman I want to see the Batmobile distilled down to its pure (and uncommercialized) essence. To have the experience of seeing it again for the first time. That's really what I want out of the whole movie, but I'm less optimistic now that that's what I'm going to get.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:53 AM   #124
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

as a fairly hardcore dark knight fan...I no likey the new batmobile as well. Just too clunky...we need the sleek speed demon style that the Batmobile has always had.

on topic: Lucas needs to quit writing dialogue.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:02 PM   #125
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Let's see if your jedi training is complete: jedi test
Old 05-29-2005, 10:51 PM   #126
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

chronicles of narnia! looks awesome!

oh, are we not just discussing the previews? batmobile is a converted army machine or something like that. that's why it's so tank-like. by the way, the new batman will be awesome.

anyway, saw this today and liked it a lot. much better than the previous 2. but when you start to nit-pick, of course the writing is bad. that whole "you're beautiful" exchange between portman and christianson was awful.

I read a review on another site that i agree with. the guy loved the movie, but said something along the lines of: "I know portman can act. I know christianson can act. I've seen them in other movies, and they're good. but for some reason, when they are on screen together in star wars movies, they are awful."

and i was talking with a friend. the main difference between these movies and the original trilogy is that these lack a riveting character, someone that the audience can't wait to see on screen. in the original trilogy, that was han solo (and chewie, partly). harrison ford commanded the screen when he appeared, and his character was amazing. in the new triology, there's less reliance on character and more on special effects.

one other gripe. when anakin finaly turned to the dark side, i turned to my friend and said "that didn't take much convincing." it seemed like he just flipped a switch and committed to sidious. and yes, i know there's been build up in II, with him killing the sandpeople... but this just seemed so rushed. no inner turmoil or anything.

but i did like how it was a self-fulfilling dream. like someone said above, he turned to the dark side so he could save padme, but his turning is what actually killed her. and i rolled my eyes at the "shes lost the will to live" line. why not go the full cheese route and have the robot say, "she's dying of a broken heart."
Old 05-30-2005, 11:49 AM   #127
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Larouxand i rolled my eyes at the "shes lost the will to live" line. why not go the full cheese route and have the robot say, "she's dying of a broken heart."
This was the only real problem I had with the movie, too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Pitiful.

Saw it a few days ago. Yeah, there was some cheesy acting, but you expect that from Star Wars. I thought Ewan McGregor was pretty good, given the material, and agree with the general consensus that Ian McDarmid turned in a good performance as well.

I'm also not a big fan of the reliance on special effects, but I guess that's what we get... at times I think the CGI stuff looks more fake than the miniatures and all that from the old movies. However, I thought Yoda was awesome looking in this movie. Better than the last two, in my opinion.

Overall.. good movie, as a casual fan, I think it was almost as good as Star Wars or Return of the Jedi (I am one of these people that likes Empire Strikes Back the best but doesn't hate on Jedi..)... no Citizen Kane.. but I don't expect a lot from Star Wars, either.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 01:52 PM   #128
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
chronicles of narnia! looks awesome!
totally agree. I was disappointed that they did not show Aslan speaking...but I guess they will hold that back for a while....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 06-04-2005, 12:18 AM   #129
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

My wife and I went to see Episode III yesterday. We both found it to be very disappointing. The characters seemed to be devoid of life and passion. The dialogue was inept and the acting usually terrible. The only 2 characters that were remotely interesting were Palpatine and Obi Wan. Padme could have been a good character; however, she was essentially a bit character. All of the Jedi seemed to be stupid; whereas, they had been portrayed as being invincible and clever. In this movie they were just inept and easily slaughtered. I thought the plot was weak and full of holes. To me this movie was the worst of all 6. The only redeeming feature were the light sabre duels and even those were kind of ridiculous. To say that Lucas has lost some of the magic from the original trilogy is understating it greatly. Those movies were fun. Those movies had characters with life and passion along with dynamic special effects. All this movie had was the special effects.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:49 PM   #130
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

The only things I was disappointed in with Episode III:

1. How did Leia remember anything about her mother? She never actually saw her. How did she know she was "sad"?
2. I was hoping that Yoda would start developing the "onerous" part of his character that we saw in Empire. Sadly, that never happened.
3. Well.... I know there were other omissions, but I can't think of them right now....

The "problem" with I-III are that there is no Solo or Chewy..... a side character that you truly care about or let us get close to. That seemed more important with I-III to me, we already know the story.

But I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed watching Episode III.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:17 PM   #131
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Just went and saw this tonight.

Tremendous movie.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #132
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was totally average. They did what people wanted them to do-- more action, more lightsabers, more special effects but it still lacked soul.

I guess that makes me one of the grumpy fangirls and boys that knew that the new trilogy couldnt match up to the original trilogy no matter what, but saw the movies anyway. (well, actually I didnt see the second one after being disgusted by the first).

Well it was very entertaining, even if it wasnt half as good as the first three. Agree with others--

No Han Solo-- a bad thing

just a cameo of Chewey-- a bad thing

the two main characters (anakin and podrace) weren't as compelling as Luke and Leia.

the movie didnt flow well from action scenes to humorous scenes to emotional scenes-- all the emotional scenes seemed detached and disjointed

Not enough life in the movie-- the new trilogy was largely set in a dead, architectural world. The originals were better mixed between the evil technological worlds/places and the sometimes harsh natural environments that people survived in instead of dominating. Even Naboo just seemed shallow-- like you really couldnt picture someone living there, while you knew how people lived on Hoth and Tatoine.

Ewoks saved episode 6. More Wookies could have improved Ep 3.

Lucas was friends with Joseph Campbell who explained to Lucas what elements good stories have within them. The original trilogy had all the archetypes--

In the new three:

no real animal familiar except for the shaved raggae rabbit thing. Even R2D2 and 3CPO could be familiars but they weren't around in the new trilogy.

The shapeshifter isn't really there. Han Solo was the character that you didnt know you could trust. In Ep. 3 the shapeshifter was the protagonist and according to Joseph Campbell, that doesnt work.

The mentor-- broke down in ep. 3. Neither Yoda nor Obi Wan were really mentors anymore

The first trilogy was just epic-- it was Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey. From the call to adventure (Leia requesting help), to the darkest hour/belly of the whale (trash compactor, etc) to the road of trials (training in the force), to meeting with the goddess (leia), to temptation from the true path (dark side tempation), to the apotheosis/becoming a hero/becoming godlike (becoming a jedi), to the rescue from without (Han rescues luke), it was as epic as Homer.

And lets face it, if you know how the story ends, the story isnt as interesting, and if you know the epic story of how someone saved the universe, you dont really want to see how the universe came into needing salvation. In that respect it was the idea of the prequel that really hurt Lucas. Although the movies could have been good despite that.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:23 PM   #133
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Totally average? That should be a term reserved for the likes of Blade II or Armageddon or something.

Episode III is awesome.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #134
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I can agree that I would've liked to have seen more wookies. With all the severed body parts the Jedi were scattering around the foot of the green screen it would have been nice to be treated to some wookies ripping off some arms - even if they were only droid arms.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:51 PM   #135
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

other than being in the Star Wars universe that I like a lot, the movie was on par with the exciting and entertaining but not remarkable Independence Day

then again English is a funny language and in questions of taste there is always an implied "in my opinion" built in.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:54 PM   #136
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Yeah, more wookies. I can agree with that. And I also agree that the characters (or at least the actors portraying them) weren't as compelling as the original trilogy, but the movie was still greatness.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:58 PM   #137
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
other than being in the Star Wars universe that I like a lot, the movie was on par with the exciting and entertaining but not remarkable Independence Day
That's the same as saying it's totally average. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2005, 10:26 AM   #138
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

The Sith Sense
Old 07-08-2005, 12:39 PM   #139
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: Caliente
The Sith Sense
a friend told me about this the other day....very fun

Old 11-04-2005, 02:22 AM   #140
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I'm way behind...but I just NOW watched this finally. I've never been a huge Star Wars fan, but I enjoy good action/fantasy type flicks. This was by far my favorite SW of all the ones I remember much about. I've promised myself I'll sit down and watch the old three sometime soon, so maybe I'll get a better appreciation for them.

With that said, Ewan McGreggor is awesome. I don't care what movie he's in, I'm always impressed by him...despite the writing. Yoda - wow. I could watch 2 hours of Yoda doing dishes and be totally satisfied.

I'll watch this again some time soon...that's about as good as it gets with me.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:05 PM   #141
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought they had cancelled episode III because episode I and II were so bad...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:08 PM   #142
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I saw Episode III four times in the theatres [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:14 PM   #143
sike
The Preacha

as an objective Star Wars fan I can honestly say this flick is totally average. with poor direction and even worse dialogue

...and I still saw it twice in the theaters and bought it the first day it came out on dvd.

Old 11-05-2005, 01:30 PM   #144
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I bought it yesterday, the film is not as good as people make it out to be, true. But the special effects alone and the fact that you see Annakin turn to the dark side makes it worth it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #145
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I don't normally pass on this stuff, but this was funny...

http://www.websurdity.com/2007/02/28...an-inside-job/
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #146
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
I don't normally pass on this stuff, but this was funny...

http://www.websurdity.com/2007/02/28...an-inside-job/
hahaha

"Emperor Palpatine reads 'The Pet Bantha' while the Death Star is being attacked. He would continue to read for 5 full minutes before leaving!"
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:29 AM   #147
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
WendelG Says:
March 1st, 2007 at 1:39 am

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Hahahaha

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:47 AM   #148
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

^hahahaha
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:48 AM   #149
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

My new mission is to see if I can fit in that line when I talk to friends, family, co-workers, etc... Let's see if I get punched in the face.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote