Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2010 NFL Offseason/News thread

So the biggest headline so far is McNabb being traded to the Redskins for a second-round pick (37th overall) in this month's NFL draft and either a third- or fourth-round pick next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5055346
Old 04-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Wow. I didn't see this coming. Especially to a NFC East rival. I think McNabb is one of the most underappreciated quarterbacks i've witnessed in recent memory. Philly got their wish. Next season they're going to be praying for him to come back when Colb has a 3 INT game.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Philly is going to corner this draft! Boy, they are going to rebuild their team in one fell swoop this offseason, it seems.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

To a division rival....really?

Actually, they're safe. The Red Skins suck eternally, so, low risk there by Philly.

This hurts my keeper team significantly.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously, the eagles think that McNabb is out of his prime and want to promote Kolb to the starting job. For the redskins, this move has me scratching my head. They have a lot of holes in the offense and defense, i think they were in rebuilding mode a few weeks ago, they were going to try and grab a new quarterback in the draft, and build the team through the draft, this move now has them in a win-now mode right? How many more years does mcnabb have left? why would they bring him in if it wasn't a win now mode? thats been the redskins problem for years, they are always in a win now mode and lets not even think about the future. I dont know, i guess not much as changed in DC.

Oh well, i'll still be looking forward to stomping both teams twice a year
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

the musers were comparing Shannahan's acquisition of john elway (34 yrs old when he went to denver) to his new acquisition of mcnabb (33 yrs old). There are lots of similarities between the two... It will be interesting to watch the redskins this year, at least.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX View Post
Obviously, the eagles think that McNabb is out of his prime and want to promote Kolb to the starting job. For the redskins, this move has me scratching my head. They have a lot of holes in the offense and defense, i think they were in rebuilding mode a few weeks ago, they were going to try and grab a new quarterback in the draft, and build the team through the draft, this move now has them in a win-now mode right? How many more years does mcnabb have left? why would they bring him in if it wasn't a win now mode? thats been the redskins problem for years, they are always in a win now mode and lets not even think about the future. I dont know, i guess not much as changed in DC.

Oh well, i'll still be looking forward to stomping both teams twice a year
Nice points. I agree completely. It seems like, regardless of who is GM or head coach, the Skins refuse to rebuild and do anything with the draft. Although someone you draft will rarely be as effective as a veteran free agent or a player secured via trade, a good draft can completely turn a team around. Snyder's allergy to a true rebuilding process has killed his team. I could swear Al Davis was already dead and was reincarnated in little Danny Boy and his Napoleonic Ego.

They have a good defense that is getting older. They have needed offensive linemen to groom into starting spots for three years. They have needed a running back to groom for a starting spot or at least spell an oft-injured Portis for three years. They have needed a WR who can compliment Moss for the past several years, and their belief that that guy was Antwaan Randle El just shows how ridiculous their front office has been. They haven't addressed any of these positions seriously. They have just hoped and prayed that the veterans they grab from the recycle bin somehow stay healthy and pan out. They also draft poorly with the picks they haven't given away. Last year's draft was horrible. Orakpo is great, but they didn't address any of their glaring needs on the O-line and receiving corps. They reached for Kevin Barnes who is a soft, undersized corner with their second pick and their third pick is a special teams-only guy.

McNabb can only be as effective as his offensive line and receiving corps. His prime was wasted in Philly due to their failure to garner any legit receivers outside of their dalliance with TO and that blew up in their face. Now that they finally have legit targets for McNabb, their once-stout offensive line is a huge question mark and their dynamic RB has hit the wall and moved on. And they are paying Kevin Kolb first-round money. I think he can be effective if upright, which will be a problem considering their holes on the offensive line with the injury to Jamaal Jackson and the release of Shawn Andrews. They are also rebuilding their secondary. Samuel is a great zone corner, but Sheldon Brown was their best man corner. They also have holes in the linebacking corps.

I would expect the Skins to start the season well, brimming with the confidence that they finally have a franchise QB. But McNabb is going to get drilled and may be injured when the games really start to count. Last year Kolb benefited from teams not having much film on him. That won't be the case this year. I think the comparisons to Aaron Rodgers I have been reading from NFL writers are waaaaay premature.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei View Post
the musers were comparing Shannahan's acquisition of john elway (34 yrs old when he went to denver) to his new acquisition of mcnabb (33 yrs old). There are lots of similarities between the two... It will be interesting to watch the redskins this year, at least.
Elway was traded to the Broncos after being drafted by the Colts. He refused to play there and played his entire career with the Broncos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Elway
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

The Eagles should have fired Andy Reid instead - his play-calling cost the Iggles more games than McNabb's arm...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
Elway was traded to the Broncos after being drafted by the Colts. He refused to play there and played his entire career with the Broncos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Elway
yeah i was confused when i read that first line too. good call on doing some investigative journalism
Old 04-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

ok. wow, i definitely misheard some things on the radio ;P regardless, I think shanahan "inherited" elway when he was 34..so is it too late to redeem myself?
Old 04-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #12
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Wow... the Jets acquire Santonio Holmes for a 5th round pick. That's a major, major steal.

I'm not sure how the Jets pulled that one off.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #13
MavsX
Diamond Member

the Jets look legit in the AFC this year.

Last edited by MavsX; 04-12-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #14
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

The Jets, over the past 12 months have:

Drafted Mark Sanchez (first decent QB USC has produced in a while)
Traded for Braylon Edwards (the only WR in the league to give TO a run for most drops)
Traded for Santonio Holmes (good speedy WR)
Signed LT (meh even if done 2 years ago)
Signed S Brodney Pool (meh)
Signed K Nick Folk (young and could turn it around)
In negotiations with Jason Taylor (meh)

They are either going to be really good or will win the has-been rings for this year, (will have to be pried out of Washington's cold dead fingers).

On a serious note, Holmes is gone for the first 4 games of the year due to these OTF issues.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #15
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
Wow... the Jets acquire Santonio Holmes for a 5th round pick. That's a major, major steal.

I'm not sure how the Jets pulled that one off.
i read an article on profootballtalk.com that said the steelers were going to just cut him because of his off the field antics...so they tried to just trade him for anything. suckers
Old 04-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #16
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft1...ory?id=5085644

Sources: Marshall headed for Miami

* Email
* Print
* Comments 156
* Share585
retweet 156

By Adam Schefter
ESPN
Archive

The Denver Broncos are trading wide receiver Brandon Marshall to the Miami Dolphins for a second-round pick in next week's NFL draft and what league sources say is an additional second-round pick in 2011.
Marshall
Marshall

The trade is contingent upon the league processing the paperwork and Marshall passing his physical, neither of which is expected to be an issue on Wednesday.

Marshall is scheduled to fly to Miami to take his physical and, if he passes, sign what will be one of the most lucrative wide receiver deals in NFL history, according to league sources. In return, the Broncos will get two high draft picks for a player who caused them headaches in addition to making plays.

In little more than one year, with a pair of blockbuster trades, Denver has recouped two first-round picks, two second-round picks, a third-round pick and quarterback Kyle Orton in exchange for Jay Cutler and Marshall.

The Broncos now head into next Thursday's draft armed with three picks in the top two rounds, but with a big hole fill at wide receiver. Marshall caught 101 passes for 1,120 yards and 10 touchdowns last season. He has 327 career receptions for 4,019 yards and 25 touchdowns in four seasons, all in Denver.

The trade also shakes things up in the AFC East, as Miami will match and arguably top the deal the New York Jets made earlier this week, when they traded a fifth-round draft pick for talented but troubled Steelers recevier Santonio Holmes.

Marshall is one of the game's best young wide receivers, a mercurial talent at the position Miami needed help at most. He is in the prime of his career. But like Holmes, he also brings a reputation of being difficult to handle and a legal record that has him one strike from a year-long suspension.

Once Marshall signed his $2.5 million tender with the Broncos on Tuesday, it freed Denver to begin shopping him. Miami was hot after Marshall, as was Seattle. Tampa Bay showed some interest and even the Jets considered making a play for Marshall before their deal for Holmes, according to sources.

Adam Schefter is an ESPN NFL Insider.
I'm kinda bummed about this. I was hoping the cowboys could some how grab marshall. Although, i'm not sure what we would/could give up and i know he is just as bad as TO is. anyway