Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-26-2006, 11:18 PM   #1
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs getting the the WC finals

Im as big a Mavs fan as anyone. But i have a bad feeling about this years playoffs. We are basically going to be forced to play the Spurs in the second round right? Then the winner of that is going to be playing a Suns team, that will probably win its first round with ease. Do you guys think the winner of the spurs/mavs will be able to take on a rested suns team. Im sure the mavs and spurs series will go into game 6 or 7. Anyway do you guys think we can take on and beat the spurs/suns. Especially with the injurys we have right now. PS. i hate the spurs
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
Im as big a Mavs fan as anyone. But i have a bad feeling about this years playoffs. We are basically going to be forced to play the Spurs in the second round right? Then the winner of that is going to be playing a Suns team, that will probably win its first round with ease. Do you guys think the winner of the spurs/mavs will be able to take on a rested suns team. Im sure the mavs and spurs series will go into game 6 or 7. Anyway do you guys think we can take on and beat the spurs/suns. Especially with the injurys we have right now. PS. i hate the spurs
Once we whoop the sp*rs I could care less who we line up against. There are only three teams in the league this year and the suns aren't one of them.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:26 PM   #3
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i like where your heads at
Old 03-26-2006, 11:33 PM   #4
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
I don't think the Suns will win their first round with ease. With the way things are panning out, I think it's very likely that Phoenix will have to play Sacramento (who I feel will overtake the Lakers for the 7th spot). Sacramento is a very very scary team at this point and I think they just might play good enough defense to hurt the Suns. Bibby v. Nash? We all know what happens there.

The 1-8 match-up is probably going to be the easiest of the bunch. I honestly feel that Dallas is going to come up on top with HCA, hands down. Despite the fact that we've been playing incredibly sub-par and injury-ridden ball for the past 2 weeks, we're still neck-and-neck with the Spurs. We have the same record over the last 10 games (7-3) and I Honestly believe that we can end the season with a better record than Detroit. Just wait and see what happens when we start getting all of our healthy bodies back.

Anyways, the 1st seed is going to get the chance to play the Los Angeles Kobes, which is an absolute gift and gives us as good of a break as possible while the rest of the conference is beating up on each other. The alternative is playing against a very talented and deep Clippers team, or a Gasol-led Memphis team - neither scare me too much, but both are pretty good teams and I'd rather take it easy in the first round.

Second round, probably the Spurs. But these are not the same Spurs as yesteryear. Hobbled Duncan? Hobbled (and balding) Ginobili? Our focus will be on keeping the paint clear of annoying little frenchmen and I am confident that we can win this series. Unless he's been holding back this entire season, Duncan is not the dominating force he was last year, and without TD - the Spurs are sitting ducks for us in the 2nd round.

Suns, suns, suns...I don't know if they'll make it past the Kings. If they do, and if we have a healthy squad - they don't worry me much at all. Devin can help contain Nash, Dirk has demonstrated that he's no longer fearful of smaller defenders - our stable of defensive-minded swingmen will wreak havoc on the S.S. (Sun's scrubs). No worries.

Call me homer.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:42 PM   #5
MavsX
Diamond Member

nicely put. Good insight. thanks for your time.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:03 AM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

The playoff situation in the west is screwed up and getting screwier as the mavs/sp*rs continue winning.

So mavs are currently 14.5!!! Let that sink in 14.5 games ahead of the 3rd place team. 6 games ahead of the second.

But they'll be seeded lower. Boy thats a real cluster. It WILL be pretty hilarious to see the 6th seed have HCA over the 3rd seed. Wow, what an embarressment.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The mavs wont be seeded lower because they will win the division but to orange days point, I would MUCH rather play the clips than the lakers. Same can be said of the grizz or the kings. The thing is the mavs have the best team no matter which of that group they play but if you play the lakers kobe is the only individual good enough to make up for his team not being as good. I love brand but he doesnt scare me anywhere near as much as kobe would.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:13 AM   #8
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
The mavs wont be seeded lower because they will win the division but to orange days point, I would MUCH rather play the clips than the lakers. Same can be said of the grizz or the kings. The thing is the mavs have the best team no matter which of that group they play but if you play the lakers kobe is the only individual good enough to make up for his team not being as good. I love brand but he doesnt scare me anywhere near as much as kobe would.
Kobe's good but 4 games out of 7 good?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:22 AM   #9
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think he is but we beat the clips in 5, the kings in 5, the grizz in 4 and the lakers would probably push it to 6 or maybe even 7 if kobe was extremely hot. The thing is he is CAPABLE of being 4 out of 7 good and the other teams arent. The mavs would be the favorites in any of these series and i think they would win any of these series but this is the only one that i could even fathom them losing.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:36 AM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Of all the teams we might face, Sacramento is probably the toughest, but still I don't think there's any significant gap between any of the four teams. Sacto, the Lakers, the Clipps, and the Grizz are all in the same class. Really, I don't think any one of those teams is significantly better than the other three.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference who we play in the first round, because none of them will be anywhere near as tough as the Rockets were last year. We had everything going against us in that series. T-Mac was playing as well as he's ever played, Yao was stepping up, Damp couldn't stay out of foul trouble, Dirk was struggling with bronchitis, AJ looked lost out there, and our ball movement was non-existant. None of the bottom four teams are as good as the Rox were last year, and the Mavs have improved a hell of a lot since then.

The only reason anyone should care about the 1st seed is HCA against the Spurs. The first round is gonna be go no more than 5 games no matter who we face.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:12 PM   #11
diop it like its hot

diop it like its hot will become famous soon enoughdiop it like its hot will become famous soon enough

the suns are the team i'm most worried about. we had no answer for the nash/amare pick and roll last year.
diop it like its hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:14 PM   #12
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Please... Black Jesus and his gang of misfits worry me about as much as Clippers do.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #13
orangedays
Platinum Member

Talking

Quote:
I dont think he is but we beat the clips in 5, the kings in 5, the grizz in 4 and the lakers would probably push it to 6 or maybe even 7 if kobe was extremely hot. The thing is he is CAPABLE of being 4 out of 7 good and the other teams arent. The mavs would be the favorites in any of these series and i think they would win any of these series but this is the only one that i could even fathom them losing.
How about this?

I am SO CONFIDENT that whoever plays the Lakers (whether Mavericks, Spurs, Suns) will thoroughly manhandle them, that I will change my avatar to a picture of Kobe Bryant for the duration of the playoffs IF the Lakers even manage to take their opponent to >5 games.

Offer's on the table. Your move

Last edited by orangedays; 03-27-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:26 PM   #14
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

I agree completely Orange. Doesn't matter who we play. No way we go more than 5 games in the first. MAYBE 6, but I doubt it.

Five-o, do you remember how insane T-Mac was in the first round last year? He was really incredible. Do you think anything Kobe could do against us would be THAT much better than what T-Mac did last year? I mean, sure, he might drop 40 or maybe even 50, but that just ain't gonna get you 4 games. Plus, Kobe doesn't have Yao.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:06 PM   #15
MavsX
Diamond Member

kobe's got kwami brown...haha..that guy sucks
Old 03-27-2006, 08:12 PM   #16
Five-ofan
Guru

I dont think they are gonna beat us. I said i thought it would go 6 or maybe 7(it could also go 4 if he is cold). The thing is that series went 7. Granted they dont have a yao but i like lamar odom alot and he is also capable of being dominant for a game or 2. The thing is they are capable if everything falls perfectly. I dont think the grizz could win a game no matter what. They just matchup horribly with the mavs. I mean seriously what position or overall skill as a team do they have an advantage on the mavs at? The clips dont matchup well either. Then kings scare me absolutely 0. If it wasnt for their recent home record i would predict a sweep of them too. Im not so much scared of the la kobes as i am completely without any precursor of fear of the other teams.

BTW orange do i have to do something for your avatar bet thing? I hate kobe and i hope the mavs sweep them but im just curious if you are just throwing that out there for nothing or if there is some point of the bet that i would have to do if the lakers lost in 5 or less? That said i dont want to see a kobe avatar anyway so im not gonna hold you to that at all. Basically what i was trying to get across was that if you are gonna play a team that you are clearly better than, the only way they have a prayer is if they have a dominant/transcendent player who can take over a series and kobe is the only such player among the bottom 4 teams.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #17
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
BTW orange do i have to do something for your avatar bet thing? I hate kobe and i hope the mavs sweep them but im just curious if you are just throwing that out there for nothing or if there is some point of the bet that i would have to do if the lakers lost in 5 or less? That said i dont want to see a kobe avatar anyway so im not gonna hold you to that at all. Basically what i was trying to get across was that if you are gonna play a team that you are clearly better than, the only way they have a prayer is if they have a dominant/transcendent player who can take over a series and kobe is the only such player among the bottom 4 teams.
Haha, sorry I didn't mean to put you on the spot buddy. No you don't have to do anything, your point is well-taken, I just wanted to emphasize my belief in the Mavs and against Kobe, respectively.

I wouldn't dream of subjecting a fellow Mavs fan to the shame of a Kobe avatar, but will gladly bear that burden myself (and take one for the team ) should the Lakers take us to 6. Besides, your avatar is still tied to the whole essay/bradley pic thing with chum?
Old 03-27-2006, 09:29 PM   #18
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I would definitely rather have the lakers and hca than the clippers/grizz, Kobe will win one maybe two games by himself if hes in his zone (and drops 62 again) but he cant win four against the Mavs. I would really like to see the Kings play the Suns but even going against the Spurs wouldnt be bad either if they take the 1 seed, not only would it be an awesome series to watch they would be make both teams work harder than the Lakers would . I doubt they could knock off the spurs but the suns? Maybe. No matter who SAC gets paired up with I really want to see that particular first round matchup.

Oh yeah... we will be seeing SA, but the question is how hard will it be for both teams to get to where they are?
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:13 AM   #19
Five-ofan
Guru

I think i can change it now because i only had to keep it for 3 months but to be honest i like this avatar.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:09 AM   #20
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
i like where your heads at
This is getting old.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #21
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
But they'll be seeded lower. Boy thats a real cluster. It WILL be pretty hilarious to see the 6th seed have HCA over the 3rd seed. Wow, what an embarressment.
I think the seedings are only for matching the first round games,other than that,we'll have home court adventage against the Suns and the Nuggets.

Last edited by nowitzki_prophecy; 03-28-2006 at 11:49 AM.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:53 PM   #22
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
This is getting old.
I like where your heads at.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #23
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think i can change it now because i only had to keep it for 3 months but to be honest i like this avatar.
Me too, I'd hate to see a Bradley stalwart give way to ...well...yeah. I gladly bear the burden alone