Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #521
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Only one team (Red Sox) has scored more runs this season than the Texas Rangers.

Texas is tied for 9th in team ERA.

In other news, I move that we play Houston 38 more times this year.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #522
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Only one team, the New York ATM Machines, have more wins than the Texas effing Rangers.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #523
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Only one team, the New York ATM Machines, have more wins than the Texas effing Rangers.
And it's only because the Dodgers blew a four run lead in the 9th inning. Otherwise, we'd have identical records.

btw, I was at the game tonight and it was the second straight game I've attended where we have scored at least 10 runs. And the third game we've scored in double digits of my 7 games total. We are 6-1 this season when I go, including winning 6 in a row.

Y'all are welcome.

Last edited by mavspwnage; 06-28-2010 at 12:22 AM.
mavspwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:00 AM   #524
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say that this week's series @LAA is big, but we have two other series with them in July, so all and all we'll have like 10 games against them in the next 35 or so days.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 06-28-2010 at 02:01 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #525
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
So they conclude that Feldman's not as good as his results last year, and not as bad as this year.

Basically he's an average starter, a 4-5 guy.

I'm down with that. Heck I said that last year and basically got called stupid for the opinion.
I wouldnt read too much into that.

Murphy, Pitchers can control their K rate, BB rate ground ball rate and to a lesser extent ld rate. Thats it. He has basically the same numbers in all of those stats as last year. I agree with you that advanced defensive stats are overused by advanced stat guys but pitching and hitting advanced stats are pretty useful. Feldman is a number 4. When he gets lucky, he will have numbers that look like a 2(last year), when he doesnt, he will have numbers that look like a long man(this year). Hes really in the middle.

Also omar beltre is starting wednesday. He'll immediately have the best stuff of any of our starters outside of CJ and Colby but this has got to mean that colby is at least a little hurt.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #526
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Pitchers can also control where they put the ball. You're conveniently missing that very important point. Feldman's location has been horrendous. He's up in the zone more often and it's causing him to get pounded.

Don't preach to me about baseball. You cannot begin to tell me anything that I don't already know.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #527
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Pitchers can also control where they put the ball. You're conveniently missing that very important point. Feldman's location has been horrendous. He's up in the zone more often and it's causing him to get pounded.

Don't preach to me about baseball. You cannot begin to tell me anything that I don't already know.
Pitchers can control where they put the ball, you are correct. And where they put the ball is reflected in what hitters do with it. There hasnt been any signifigant difference in feldmans location this year than last year, nor has there been any difference in his batted ball numbers. More of the balls put in play are being hits and fewer of the people getting on base are being left there. Thats luck. I do agree that BABIP isnt an end all be all stat(neftali will always have a low babip against because no one hits line drives off of him(or at least they didnt last year) but Feldmans never should have been as low as it was last year but it shouldnt be as high as it is this year.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 06-29-2010 at 03:08 AM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #528
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Interleague needs to go away

It is ruining baseball, IMO.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:10 AM   #529
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post
Interleague needs to go away

It is ruining baseball, IMO.
I disagree. I think the solution is to have MORE interleague games. Have all the teams play each other.

Lets say for example that we moved the Houston Astros to the AL West (to balance out the Divisions). Then I would change the schedule to this:

4 Division foes x 12 = 48 games
10 In-League foes x 6 = 60 games
14 Interleague foes x 3 = 42 games
TOTAL = 150 games

This is assuming that there is one interleague foe that is not played against - its a minor technicality and should be easy to work around...
Old 06-29-2010, 01:51 AM   #530
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericks Rockets Fan View Post
I disagree. I think the solution is to have MORE interleague games. Have all the teams play each other.

Lets say for example that we moved the Houston Astros to the AL West (to balance out the Divisions). Then I would change the schedule to this:

4 Division foes x 12 = 48 games
10 In-League foes x 6 = 60 games
14 Interleague foes x 3 = 42 games
TOTAL = 150 games

This is assuming that there is one interleague foe that is not played against - its a minor technicality and should be easy to work around...
You can't move the Astros to the AL unless two more teams are added to MLB as expansion franchises. Or else eliminate two teams. That is unless there is always at least one interleague series that is going on around MLB. Because that's what would have to happen if there were an odd number of teams in both leagues. That's why with 30 teams, there needs to be 16 in one league and 14 in the other.

But with that scheduling, there would be almost as many games against the opposite league as games within the division. That just can't happen.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:31 AM   #531
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all
Quote:
You can't move the Astros to the AL unless two more teams are added to MLB as expansion franchises. Or else eliminate two teams. That is unless there is always at least one interleague series that is going on around MLB. Because that's what would have to happen if there were an odd number of teams in both leagues. That's why with 30 teams, there needs to be 16 in one league and 14 in the other.
With every team playing 42 interleague games, always requiring an interleague game to be going on should not be a problem. This is something a computer can easily figure out.

Quote:
But with that scheduling, there would be almost as many games against the opposite league as games within the division. That just can't happen.
And....why can't it happen?
Old 06-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #532
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericks Rockets Fan View Post
And....why can't it happen?
I just don't think there should be close to as many interleague games as division games. But at least we can both agree that the schedule as it stands now should be altered, one way or the other.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #533
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Bummer....Feldman looked to be cruising through six before the dam broke.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #534
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

melt down

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #535
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Vlad just gave the middle finger to the Halos.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:21 AM   #536
mavspwnage
Golden Member

This loss hurts.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:29 AM   #537
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

It hurts because the result of tomorrow's game seems predetermined, given the pitching matchup.

It hurts because they looked so poised, so in control. Until 2 F-ing OUTS in the 6th.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:59 AM   #538
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Quote:
I just don't think there should be close to as many interleague games as division games. But at least we can both agree that the schedule as it stands now should be altered, one way or the other.
I like it. Interleague games suck anyways and will never be as good as divisional ones. A Yankees/Cardinals game? Boring! Or how about Braves/Rangers? Snore-fest!

Of course I suppose we could have the Yankees and Orioles play each other 18 times. Yeah, that sounds like a better option....
Old 06-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #539
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
It hurts because the result of tomorrow's game seems predetermined, given the pitching matchup.
How on earth did you come to that conclusion?

I have no idea what to expect from Beltre, but Scott Kazmir sucks.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #540
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

They let one slip away that they shouldn't have last night.

Here is too a better outcome tonight.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #541
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Shoulda had that one.

Bleh.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #542
LonghornDub

Quote:
How on earth did you come to that conclusion?

I have no idea what to expect from Beltre, but Scott Kazmir sucks.
Yeah, that confused me too. Kazmir has a 5.42 ERA, barely a winning record, and almost as many BB's as K's. Not sure why any matchup with him would ever be "predetermined" in his favor.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #543
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Wow, Beltre gives up a home run to the first batter. ouch
Old 06-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #544
mavspwnage
Golden Member

*BREAKING*

The Rangers have made a trade. We have traded Chris Ray and a player to be named for catcher Bengie Molina from the Giants. This might be in reaction to the fact Treanor might be injured.

http://www.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/Index
Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #545
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the Angels. Score two runs on two week *** dribblers and the sucky Kazmir is making us look ridiculous.

*sigh*

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 06-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #546
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
*BREAKING*

The Rangers have made a trade. We have traded Chris Ray and a player to be named for catcher Bengie Molina from the Giants. This might be in reaction to the fact Treanor might be injured.

http://www.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/Index
Supposedly Treanor just has a bruise. I suspect it has more to do with Ray sucking, Ogando being awesome and us having even more bullpen options.

Just exactly excited about Moline but he's a solid catcher with a good reputation for calling games and handling pitchers, which the Rangers seem to place a very high priority on.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #547
mavspwnage
Golden Member

VLADDY SALAMI!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #548
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Dear God that was awesome.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-30-2010, 10:17 PM   #549
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Vladdy!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #550
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Vladdy double. hahaha

Triple away from the cycle. The ball needs to bounce about 100 feet away from any outfielder for that to happen though.

Last edited by mavspwnage; 06-30-2010 at 10:54 PM.
mavspwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:03 PM   #551
LonghornDub

Vlad once again extending his middle finger to the Angels.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #552
LonghornDub

FWIW, Yankees lost to Seattle again. If the Rangers pull this one out, they'll officially be tied for best record in the entire MLB. Who'd have thought?

Old 06-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #553
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
FWIW, Yankees lost to Seattle again. If the Rangers pull this one out, they'll officially be tied for best record in the entire MLB. Who'd have thought?
They actually already were tied with them a few days ago.

But yeah...who'd have thought.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #554
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Quote:
They actually already were tied with them a few days ago.

But yeah...who'd have thought.
I don't think we were actually, because the Dodgers choked that game against the Yanks and that put NY back to a game ahead of us. Dodgers had a four run 9th inning lead. If they had held on, THAT would have tied us.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #555
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I don't think we were actually, because the Dodgers choked that game against the Yanks and that put NY back to a game ahead of us. Dodgers had a four run 9th inning lead. If they had held on, THAT would have tied us.
Did they? I must have missed that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #556
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

BTW, I have absolutely shocked that Nippert is coming back to pitch the 7th. This is not going to end well.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #557
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I heart you Elvis. I heart you real, real hard.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #558
alexamenos
Diamond Member

I'm so gay for Elvis.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:34 PM   #559
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Quote:
Did they? I must have missed that.
yeah it was this game on Sunday...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=300627119

Pushed the Yankees to 47-28. Rangers had just beaten Houston 10-1 to move to 46-29.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #560
mavspwnage
Golden Member

VLADDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
americas sucktime, blindhomerparade, cadban knows dick, feldman=failman, flaco=ultimate pessimist, fluffy blows so harden, magic # = 0, playoff bound