Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future
Default Josh Howard ESPN Magazine article

Any of you guys see this article? It was very good. I'd type the entire article, but it is very long. Here's a small excerpt though:

Dealing with pain is something Howard has had to do since he was born. His legs were so bowed that when he was 5 months old, doctors broke them and put them in toe-to-thigh casts. Four months later, they broke and reset them again. Even though Howard was barely crawling when the casts went on, Helen (his grandmother) says he went all Forrest Gump as soon as the plaster came off. He began to run and, like Gump, has never looked back. "My right foot still turns in a little when I run," Howard says. "But if they hadn't broken my legs, I'd be walking with a can now."

and a little further in the article...

Still, NBA teams were lukewarm to him at draft time. Only nine offered workouts. (The Mavericks got him with the last pick of the first round.) Maybe it was the medical history of those legs. Or maybe it was his ability to do everything well but nothing great. Or maybe the scouts were turned off by his history. During his senior year of high school, Howard showed up drunk to class a couple of times, and a home-ec teacher had to put his desk in the hallway so he wouldn't be a distraction. ("If they said, 'Don't press the button,' I liked to press it," Howard says, "just to see what would happen.") He was labeled "dumb" as a Prop-48 with a bottom-scraping 610 on the SAT and "trouble" because he and a friend stole a cell phone from a cafeteria worker at Hargrave Military Academy. It couldn't have helped to hear he was 8 when he first met his dad, who gave him five dollars in change and five minutes later asked for it back.

"They see a guy's background and just automatically write him off," Howard says. "Just like people write our team off, because of its past, as not being able to play defense."

This is what the scouts didn't know:

Despite a nonexistent relationship with his dad, Howard still checks in on his paternal grandmother. And if his dad ever does go straight (the article mentions he is an alcoholic), Howard would like to get to know him.

He was a B- student who froze up when he took the SAT.

He stole the cell phone because he was homesick and knew his family couldn't afford to have him call collect.

Granted, J-Ho is still a work in progress. He wears his headband inside out because he is uncomfortable about being a shill for the league. Call a ticky-tacky foul on him in practice, and watch the ball rack fly. "We call it spazzin' out," says Stackhouse. "Josh does a lot of that." Call a ticky-tacky foul on him in a game, and watch to see if the mouthpiece gets tucked into his compression shorts. "That's when you know something is about to happen," teammate Marquis Daniels says with a grin.

It's a good article and worth a read if you want to pick the magazine up. I'd type the entire thing, but it's long. Forgive any typos!

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
xraided199

xraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud ofxraided199 has much to be proud of

that was AWESOME man...i have got to get that article. right there drew an entirely different picture of Howard, and i didn't think that i could love him more, but i do now...the headband inside out is marvelous...he is the man
xraided199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting that, Raef. It's nice to get a glimpse into the guy's life. I wonder, does the article say whether he graduated from Wake or not?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
Mavfan + Ravenfan

Mavfan + Ravenfan is on a distinguished road

Who do you think got the better choice in the draft Mavs-Howard at 29
Or who ever drafted Van exel in the second round out of Cincinnati.
When we was eight, we went to Bat Day to see the Yanks
In Sixty-Nine, his father and mines, they robbed banks
He pointed to the charm on his neck
With his last bit of energy left, told me rock it with respect
I opened it, seen the god holdin his kids
Photogenic, tears just burst out my wig

AKA-wu banga at db.com
AKA-mavsravensfanatic at scout.com
Mavfan + Ravenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

It doesn't say whether he gradauted or not. The article focuses on his close relationship with his grandmother. Since you guys liked what you saw, I'll type a bit more of it that explores that relationship.

The Mavericks owe Grandma a hug. Howard chrashed in that twin bed back in Winston-Salem last summer so he could confer with the person he trusts most in the world. In the front seats of his Navigator as he drove her to the market or at her kitchen table as he ate pancakes slathered with molasses, they talked it all out. Whenever Howard wondered if he'd already topped out as a player, Grandma Helen said he was capable of far more.

As always, she was right.

Somewhere, though, in all that time spent basking in Grandma's unconditional love and wisdom, it dawned on Howard: She won't always be around. Then he conjured an image of Grandpa Joshua, sitting in his kitchen with his grandson or granddaughter. One last transformation. "I don't want her to go, but someday she will," he says. "And I want to be the one taking her place."

But not in the same place. Although he hopes to team with fellow Demon Deacon Chris Paul to provide for the youngsters in Winston-Salem, Howard is not expecting to raise a family there. "I'll be close enough but far enough," he says. "I want my kids to have a better opportunity."

Wherever he goes, though, 1500 E. Sedgefield Dr. will be with him. Because Grandma's house signifies that no matter where you're from, there's no place you can't go.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #6
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

It's a great article and I like the pics.

JHo did graduate from WFU. Here's another article of him, quite a long: http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Howard/Howard_bio.html

Last edited by shaw-xx; 04-02-2006 at 09:12 PM.
shaw-xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

That's a fantastic read. Thanks for posting it. It does have a glaring factual error, in the Mavs section (Dampier was not on the team in the '04 season). But it was very insightful. Thanks again.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:04 PM   #8
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

Yeah, several faults. It was also wrong with the time the 106 points in three losses in a row happened.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:06 PM   #9
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefformvp
Any of you guys see this article? It was very good. I'd type the entire article, but it is very long. Here's a small excerpt though:

Dealing with pain is something Howard has had to do since he was born. His legs were so bowed that when he was 5 months old, doctors broke them and put them in toe-to-thigh casts. Four months later, they broke and reset them again. Even though Howard was barely crawling when the casts went on, Helen (his grandmother) says he went all Forrest Gump as soon as the plaster came off. He began to run and, like Gump, has never looked back. "My right foot still turns in a little when I run," Howard says. "But if they hadn't broken my legs, I'd be walking with a can now."

and a little further in the article...

Still, NBA teams were lukewarm to him at draft time. Only nine offered workouts. (The Mavericks got him with the last pick of the first round.) Maybe it was the medical history of those legs. Or maybe it was his ability to do everything well but nothing great. Or maybe the scouts were turned off by his history. During his senior year of high school, Howard showed up drunk to class a couple of times, and a home-ec teacher had to put his desk in the hallway so he wouldn't be a distraction. ("If they said, 'Don't press the button,' I liked to press it," Howard says, "just to see what would happen.") He was labeled "dumb" as a Prop-48 with a bottom-scraping 610 on the SAT and "trouble" because he and a friend stole a cell phone from a cafeteria worker at Hargrave Military Academy. It couldn't have helped to hear he was 8 when he first met his dad, who gave him five dollars in change and five minutes later asked for it back.

"They see a guy's background and just automatically write him off," Howard says. "Just like people write our team off, because of its past, as not being able to play defense."

Despite a nonexistent relationship with his dad, Howard still checks in on his paternal grandmother. And if his dad ever does go straight (the article mentions he is an alcoholic), Howard would like to get to know him.

He was a B- student who froze up when he took the SAT.

He stole the cell phone because he was homesick and knew his family couldn't afford to have him call collect.

Granted, J-Ho is still a work in progress. He wears his headband inside out because he is uncomfortable about being a shill for the league. Call a ticky-tacky foul on him in practice, and watch the ball rack fly. "We call it spazzin' out," says Stackhouse. "Josh does a lot of that." Call a ticky-tacky foul on him in a game, and watch to see if the mouthpiece gets tucked into his compression shorts. "That's when you know something is about to happen," teammate Marquis Daniels says with a grin.

It's a good article and worth a read if you want to pick the magazine up. I'd type the entire thing, but it's long. Forgive any typos!
thank ya
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:02 PM   #10
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

"1500 E. Sedgefield Dr"

I know where that is!!
Old 04-04-2006, 01:04 PM   #11
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

I think this is the same as the ESPN insider article if anyone wants to C & P
Old 04-04-2006, 03:07 PM   #12
MavsN06

MavsN06 will become famous soon enough

Very Good read!...I think the guy is going to do nothing but get better and better. JHO!
Old 04-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #13
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

You just can't help but love our local drunk... moron... thief.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 05:23 PM   #14
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

.... millionaire...... nba star........ with a work ethic to improve every year.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #15
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I'm just being sarcastic by the way. I love Josh Howard.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #16
shaw-xx
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensborohill
I think this is the same as the ESPN insider article if anyone wants to C & P
I'd like to know how to C&P it from the digital magazine....

So here's the whole story:

Grandma's Cooking

When the Mavericks asked Josh Howard to remake his game, he paid a visit to a woman who made him a man.

By Ric Bucher

Photographs by Alessandra Petlin

If you need to know where Josh Howard is from, just look at his body. Tre-4, street slang for Winston-Salem, is tattooed on his left forearm. The street number of the house that was his home away from home nearly covers his left pec. Even the two theater faces inked into his right forearm describe an emotional road he's traveled: Cry now, laugh later.

Knowing who Josh Howard is … now, that's something else. Even he wasn't sure as recently as last summer. Was he a budding all-around star or a defensive stopper? Leader or loose cannon? Young man with a cause or rebel in search of one?

Lucky for him, he knew just where to go to find out. The directions were written all over him. The player currently running the Mavericks' offense as a point forward and spearheading their defense by smothering an opponent's primary perimeter threat wasn't honed in the weight room or on the basketball court. No, the new J-Ho sprang forth form a single-story, 400-square-foot house fronted by a dying lawn, at 1500 E. Sedgefield Dr. in Winston-Salem, N.C.

The guest bedroom in Helen Howard's home is barely big enough to fit a twin bed and a bookshelf crammed with old basketball trophies and older R&B records. But it has always offered more than enough space for her grandson's development, from hobbled infant to teenager with a wild streak. So when it came time for Howard to remake himself again, no other place made sense. "My grandma has a lot of wisdom," he says. "She taught me how the world is. I knew I had to hang with her."

The result of their summerlong dialogue shows all over the Mavericks' season, as well as Howard's resume, which now includes an invitation to try out for the next U.S. Olympic squad. Dirk Nowitzki is the Mavs' top talent, coach Avery Johnson is their ramrod and Jerry Stackhouse is the wise old sage, but in Howard, all the elements coverage. When Kobe was going off for 62, it was this young guy who clotheslined him and later said his only regret was not having done it sooner. "One of the things my grandma told me is, 'Don’t back down from anyone,' "Howard says.

With that now the collective creed, these are no longer your foo-foo Mavs, rolling out a red carpet to their rim. They still have a wide-open style and an array of sunny edge as well. One that could clothesline any preconceived ideas of who will represent the West in the Finals this June.

Helen Howard and her grandson bonded out of need. Hers. Joshua, as she calls him, was 9 months old and living with his mom down the street when Gaddy Little Jr., the firstborn of five and Helen's only son, was killed by some thugs who held him up. Gaddy was 35. "We don't have a lot of boys in our family," says Nancy Henderson, Helen’s daughter and Howard's mom. "She gravitated toward him after Gaddy died, and I never discouraged it."

Helen's house these days is a shrine to her grandson: pictures everywhere, a scrapbook thicker than a pillow. He still calls her three or four times a week. His mom, stepdad and younger sister live in Orlando, but there was never a doubt where he'd spend February's All-Star break. He took the first flight to Winston-Salem. "It's where my heart is," Howard says.

When he visits, local kids lie down in front of his car to gain a moment's attention, and wash his rig without his asking. When he's not with grandma, he's hanging with old friends at the rec center. He turned down that invite from USA Basketball because it would keep him away from his summer camps. "Those kids have nothing to do," he says. "I grew up with their brothers. I'd rather have them in the gym and off the street."

Howard low-keys it in Dallas, too. He doesn't have a big house; instead, he owns a condo on a quite street 10 minutes from American Airlines Center. It's as modest as Helen's ranch house. "I like that it's discreet," he says. He decorated the three-story unit himself in dark wood and earth tones; low, rectangular furniture conveys a slightly Asian vibe. The dining room table, like the one in grandma's kitchen, is always set. And his home, like hers, is always open to his friends. Displayed prominently in the living room is an array of family photos, including one of Helen standing in front of her house. Close by is the Winston-Salem Proclamation of March 26, 2003, that heralded Josh Howard Day.

His lineup of all-American cars back in Winston-Salem is also characteristically not showy: a 1973 Impala, a limited-edition '89 boxed Chevy Caprice. "I know where I come from," Howard says.

Tre-4—and he came up rough. He says his father had issues that kept him from being around. In the hood, word is his dad had game before the street got him. His granddad, Helen's husband, Johnny Jay, was an alcoholic. Howard smiles as he recalls the time a drunk Johnny picked him up from school with a big ol' tire in the backseat of his Buick and no further explanation. Josh watched Johnny deteriorate before he died, eight years ago. "I was getting close to him at the end, but he didn't even remember me at times," he says. "It was hard."

Howard owns the poster, DVD and VHS of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, to him "the funniest movie in the world". He plans to use it to warn the kids he'll have someday about drugs.

Having rolled over the Jazz for their eighth consecutive win, and with two days before their next game, the Mavericks get a midwinter slide from Coach Johnson. Rest is what Howard needs; rest and an MRI and treatment for a sprained right ankle. He missed the first 12 games because of a sprained thigh. Dealing with pain is something Howard has had to do since he was born. His legs were so bowed that when he was 5 months old, doctors broke them and put them in toe-to-thigh casts. Four months later, they broke and reset them again. Even though Howard was barely crawling when the casts went on, Helen says he went all Forrest Gump as soon as the plaster came off. He began to run and, like Gump, has never looked back. "My right foot still turns in a little when I run," Howard says. "But if they hadn't broken my legs, I'd be walking with a cane now."

In his senior year at Wake Forest, shin splints prevented him from playing for two weeks during the preseason. He considered redshirting. Instead, he ended up leading the Deacons to the 2003 ACC title (their first since 1962) and was unanimously selected as conference Player of the Year.

Despite a nonexistent relationship with his dad, Howard still checks in on his paternal grandmother. And if his dad ever does go straight, Howard would like to get to know him.

He was a B-minus student who froze up when he took the SAT.

But everyone agrees Howard has taken a giant step forward since last summer. After last season, Johnson told him it was time to be more than a late first-rounder who was just happy to have made the cut. Howard, the coach said, had to improve his dribble penetration and post game to allow Mavericks bombers Jason Terry, Stackhouse and Nowitzki to spot up freely. "We're so much better when he's handling the ball," Johnson says.

So Howard has become the glue for Dallas, posting career highs in six categories this season. In the first 50 games, he led the Mavericks in scoring nine times, rebounding 11 times and assists five times. "It was a matter of stepping out of the shadows," he says. "I feel comfortable in the shadows."

When the Ron Artest trade winds began to swirl last fall, Mark Cuban said it would take Artest and Jermaine O'Neal to get Howard. An exaggerated claim for sure, but no one around the league these days underestimates Howard's worth. "He's a scrapper with a real good feel for the game," says Blazers coach Nate McMillan. "You can run your offense with him, trap with him, play big or small with him." Johnson is more blunt: "There's no small forward I'd rather have."

The Mavericks owe grandma a hug. Howard crashed in that twin bed back in Winston-Salem last summer so he could confer with the person he trusts most in the world. In the front seats of his Navigator as he drove her to the market or at her kitchen table as he ate pancakes slathered with molasses, they talked it all out. Whenever Howard wondered if he'd already topped out as a player, grandma Helen said he was capable of far more.

As always, she was right.

Somewhere, though, in all that time spent basking in grandma's unconditional love and wisdom, it dawned on Howard: She won't always be around. Then he conjured an image of grandpa Joshua, sitting in his kitchen with his grandson or granddaughter. One last transformation. "I don't want her to go, but someday she will," he says. "And I want to be the one taking her place."

But not in the same place. Although he hopes to team with fellow Demon Deacon Chris Paul to provide for the youngsters in Winston-Salem, Howard is not expecting to raise a family there. "I'll be close enough but far enough," he says. "I want my kids to have a better opportunity."

Wherever he goes, though, 1500 E. Sedgefield Dr. will be with him. Because grandma's house signifies that no matter where you're from, there's no place you can't go.

Can Josh Howard get the Mavs deep into June?

Last edited by shaw-xx; 04-04-2006 at 07:39 PM.
shaw-xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:45 PM   #17
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Thanks alot Shaw.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #18
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I just read this article when I was at the bookstore the other day. Very interesting and admirable story. I didn't know that much about J-Ho's background, it makes what he's accomplished all the more impressive.

Thank you for the heads up.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:49 PM   #19
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
I just read this article when I was at the bookstore the other day. Very interesting and admirable story. I didn't know that much about J-Ho's background, it makes what he's accomplished all the more impressive.

Thank you for the heads up.
agreed, and makes his decision about Team USA come alive - such a great reason compared to some....
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:31 AM   #20
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

gotta love JHo.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote