Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Diop or Bradley as a center on the Mavs
Diop 71 65.74%
Bradley 37 34.26%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2006, 02:35 PM   #161
Jet Terry

Jet Terry will become famous soon enough

This is hilarious. We are dissecting year by year. Well I didn't watch Bradley in his early years so I can't make a comment of him but 01-05 Bradley sucks and Diop is clearly better.
Jet Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2006, 02:37 PM   #162
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Nevermind

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto

Last edited by Arne; 02-27-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:40 PM   #163
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Terry
The great Shawn in 01-02 was a part of being one of the worse defensive team of all time. Giving up 101ppg and even more in the playoffs.
wasn't Adrian Griffin on that team, too? Man, I'm sure glad we got rid of him.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:42 PM   #164
Jet Terry

The center is the most important position on defense. Look what the spurs have done with the constant being great defense at center along with the Pistons. Bradley hasn't done that and Diop hasn't either but Diop has done a better job than Bradley.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:47 PM   #165
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

When Bradley was here, the role of the center was to make opposing centers guard the 3 point line.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:48 PM   #166
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
The center is the most important position on defense. Look what the spurs have done with the constant being great defense at center along with the Pistons.
I'll give you a dollar if you go back in time and tell that to Don Nelson.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #167
Jet Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
When Bradley was here, the role of the center was to make opposing centers guard the 3 point line.
So Bradley was used for offensive reasons but his defense is highly overrated on this board. At least 01 to now it is.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:51 PM   #168
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
So Bradley was used for offensive reasons but his defense is highly overrated on this board. At least 01 to now it is.
Now he thinks that Bradley was used to make the opposing centers guard the threepoint line...

I'm so laughing my ass of right now, it's unbelieveable...

How he tries to adjust to every point made without ackowledging them... Genius...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Old 02-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #169
Jet Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne
Now he thinks that Bradley was used to make the opposing centers guard the threepoint line...

I'm so laughing my ass of right now, it's unbelieveable...

How he tries to adjust to every point made without ackowledging them... Genius...
I was saying Bradley was used on offense to spread the floor out. I didn't say he made opposing centers guard the 3 point line. You don't even look at the page long enough to see who wrote it. Bradley was a mid range shooter not a 3 point shooter.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:03 PM   #170
Arne
Golden Member

Yeah, Usually Lurkin wrote about the center (which was LaFrentz that year). You assumed the same thing about Bradley...

Old 02-27-2006, 03:08 PM   #171
Jet Terry

He didn't say Lafrentz. It was interpreted as Bradley which I knew wasn't right but I didn't feel like arguing with another poster who doesn't know what they are talking about. You are enough to handle with. Yes I know Lafrentz shoots 3's and if Bradley was that good he would've seen more time. Bradley didn't earn his minutes over Lafrentz and later couldn't even earn minutes over Fortson and Scott Williams. Pitiful.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #172
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

wow. just wow.

The farce is strong with this one.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:14 PM   #173
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Bradley didn't earn his minutes over Lafrentz . . .
because he didn't shoot threes (Shawn was also injured much of 01-02). I don't know if Don Nelson ever reduced a mav's playing time for lack of defense.

Jet, you're just floundering. You keep getting a lack of defensive effort by the mavs of the past confused with Bradley as an individual, and that is hurting your argument. You can make a viable argument for Diop, but stick to the basics, as have been mentioned in this thread. Don't stray from the path. Hammer home Diop's positives, show us how Diop does what Diop does better than Bradley ever did. You've got to lay a good foundation first. Describe some specific plays or situations, link to some videos of Diop and Bradley for comparison.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:18 PM   #174
Jet Terry

no. I already said the basics and it got me nowhere. I'm tired of the basics because people that love Shawn Bradley don't want to here it. It's funny though that people from the outside tend to agree with me but everyone here doesn't.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:20 PM   #175
Arne
Golden Member

Yeah you should just go to this "outside"-place. Must be pretty fun for you over there.

Old 02-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #176
Jet Terry

I would like to see how you would all be responded those thoughts on a new board that understands that Bradley sucks and Cassell is old. I'm sure everyone will go against you as well.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #177
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

you said it, but you need to support it. Give people some reason to believe you. You say Diop hustles, someone else says Bradley hustled, and shows some stats. Show why Diop's hustle is better for today's mavs. If you don't like statistics, use something else.

We all obviously love talking about Bradley and Diop, the conversation highlights how far the mavs new defensive emphasis has brought them.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:28 PM   #178
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

I thought I blew this thread up last week. I guess not.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:28 PM   #179
Arne
Golden Member

Quote:
I would like to see how you would all be responded those thoughts on a new board that understands that Bradley sucks and Cassell is old. I'm sure everyone will go against you as well.
Do you need a tissue?

Old 02-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #180
Drbio
Banned

I'd just liked to say thanks to all who aprticipated in this thread which ultimately generated the Lounge material that we are all so thoroughly enjoying today.

God bless you every one.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:32 PM   #181
Jet Terry

Ok I'll show the main things.
1. Diop is a better man to man defender. Bradley was a better help defender but Dirk needed someone that could guard Duncan, Garnett, Gasol, Bosh, and etc.
2. Diop is a better energy player. He is more likely to dive for loose balls than Bradley.
3. Diop is more athletic than Bradley. Diop is able to get to a place on the floor quicker than Bradley.
4. Diop is stronger than Bradley. Diop has to be both a help defender and a great man to man defender which is rare in the league. Ben Wallace is that type of player.
5. Diop finishes stronger at the basket than Bradley. Yes there are things Bradley does better than Diop but what this team needs is DEFENSE first.

Last edited by Jet Terry; 02-27-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:33 PM   #182
Drbio
Banned

Bradley > Diop

hot steamy pile of poo with corn > jet terry the poser.

Last edited by Drbio; 02-27-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #183
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

WHO FRIGIN CARES!!! Bradley is riding his bike going door to door asking if you know the Lord right now while Diop is playing for the Mavs. I know I started this whole thread, but have since realized this is all about opinion. Bradley is better than Diop, diop is better than Bradley. Who gives a rats ass.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:27 PM   #184
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
WHO FRIGIN CARES!!! Bradley is riding his bike going door to door asking if you know the Lord right now while Diop is playing for the Mavs. I know I started this whole thread, but have since realized this is all about opinion. Bradley is better than Diop, diop is better than Bradley. Who gives a rats ass.
Jesus! If you don't give rats ass, don't ask us for our opinion! Good Lord! Of all people to complain!

I have a feeling that if the agrument would have gone the other way, you would be perfectly fine sitting there and enjoying everyone trash Bradley and praise Diop on your little thread.

But instead, fools who have tried to actually tried to argue the side of Diop have been brutally humiliated. Admitedly, some worse than others, but that's only because some fools don't know when to shut up.

I don't think I need to tell yout that this is a Mavericks message forum. It's a place where Mav fans get together and talk about the Mavs. Different opinions are what make these boards worth coming to. If you don't like to interact with other fans, then you don't belong here.

I suggest you do everyone a favor. Go into your bedroom, stand if front of your mirror, take off all your clothes and talk to yourself about the Mavs all night long. You can even hold a poll.. I guarantee you'll get 100% of your desired results.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:34 PM   #185
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Yes, it is a poll where people come to talk about the Mavs. But when you get trashed for having an opinion about one of the mavs and get put down and made fun of because they don't like your opinion, then it is not a friendly forum where people can go to talk about the mavs. We all know you love brabley according to other people that have posted on here that say you are the word when it comes to Bradley.. You have strong opinions about him, that is fine, post them, but don't trash the other mavs fans that don't like bradley. get off you high horse and stop trying to put everyone down that disagrees with you. That is what I am trying to do here.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:34 PM   #186
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

and the same goes the opposite way, towards those that like Diop, or whoever.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:05 AM   #187
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
Jesus! If you don't give rats ass, don't ask us for our opinion! Good Lord! Of all people to complain!

I have a feeling that if the agrument would have gone the other way, you would be perfectly fine sitting there and enjoying everyone trash Bradley and praise Diop on your little thread.

But instead, fools who have tried to actually tried to argue the side of Diop have been brutally humiliated. Admitedly, some worse than others, but that's only because some fools don't know when to shut up.

I don't think I need to tell yout that this is a Mavericks message forum. It's a place where Mav fans get together and talk about the Mavs. Different opinions are what make these boards worth coming to. If you don't like to interact with other fans, then you don't belong here.

I suggest you do everyone a favor. Go into your bedroom, stand if front of your mirror, take off all your clothes and talk to yourself about the Mavs all night long. You can even hold a poll.. I guarantee you'll get 100% of your desired results.

Ah 'ape, where you been brotha'...I've missed you!!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:28 AM   #188
Jet Terry

Ok I will admit that I haven't watched Bradley before the 2002-03 season and therefore shouldn't judge Bradley on the end of his career. You gotta love what Diop brings to this team and he seems to be improving a lot by the month. I guess my vote is invalid since it only brings up the end of his career. Sorry I got so involved with one way of thinking. Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from and I will try not to be biased.

Last edited by Jet Terry; 02-28-2006 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:15 AM   #189
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Ok I'll show the main things.
1. Diop is a better man to man defender. Bradley was a better help defender but Dirk needed someone that could guard Duncan, Garnett, Gasol, Bosh, and etc.
2. Diop is a better energy player. He is more likely to dive for loose balls than Bradley.
3. Diop is more athletic than Bradley. Diop is able to get to a place on the floor quicker than Bradley.
4. Diop is stronger than Bradley. Diop has to be both a help defender and a great man to man defender which is rare in the league. Ben Wallace is that type of player.
5. Diop finishes stronger at the basket than Bradley. Yes there are things Bradley does better than Diop but what this team needs is DEFENSE first.
1. is pretty debatable. For the last few years as a Mav, Bradley was too often playing 1 on 5 defense. It seems the first line of defense was the tall man in the center. When every guard in the league is allowed to drive at you on every other play, you rack up a lot of blocks, a lot of fouls, and a lot of posterizations.
2. That I'll give you (for the most part). Bradley with energy, though, was amazing to watch. I think a lot of the probs in this area were due to management.
3. You are right on 3.
4. I don't know about this one. Damps being used as the strongman right now.
5. Offensively, though, I think you gotta give Shawn the advantage.

Quote:
Ok I will admit that I haven't watched Bradley before the 2002-03 season
Now your position makes sense. You should find some tape of the first half of the season, and see the center-play to which Diop should aspire.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:44 AM   #190
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You gotta love what Diop brings to this team and he seems to be improving a lot by the month.
I think we can all agree on that. I'm a big fan of Diop. Having a true shotblocker on the floor makes a HUGE difference. Diop may not be as good of a shotblocker as Bradley was, but I think he's one of the best in the NBA right now. I'm looking forward to watching him improve other aspects of his game.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:53 PM   #191
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Ok I will admit that I haven't watched Bradley before the 2002-03 season and therefore shouldn't judge Bradley on the end of his career. You gotta love what Diop brings to this team and he seems to be improving a lot by the month. I guess my vote is invalid since it only brings up the end of his career. Sorry I got so involved with one way of thinking. Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from and I will try not to be biased.

Holy shit!!!! He may have turned the corner......it only took a month and a half but whatever.....
Old 02-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #192
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Holy shit!!!! He may have turned the corner......it only took a month and a half but whatever.....
One of us...one of us...
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #193
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You gotta love what Diop brings to this team and he seems to be improving a lot by the month.
Completely agree and feel Diop has bunches of potential, hope he continues to progress it will be the steal of the century.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #194
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Not to bring this up again, but check out the video.

Greatness.

We need to retire his #>
http://gorillamask.net/shawnbradley.shtml
Old 04-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #195
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Diop fits in better with this roster, and hes more athletic so he could be chasing down guys like Amare and the younger fast big men than Bradley could dream of being which are everywhere right now. Bradley would do what? Block a few shots? Damp and Diop get theirs just fine even if Bradley was a pretty decent role player in his day... but when your that tall your expected to get those blocks AND do more, you know like not get dunked on by Tmac.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #196
madape
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
Diop fits in better with this roster, and hes more athletic so he could be chasing down guys like Amare and the younger fast big men than Bradley could dream of being which are everywhere right now. Bradley would do what? Block a few shots? Damp and Diop get theirs just fine even if Bradley was a pretty decent role player in his day... but when your that tall your expected to get those blocks AND do more, you know like not get dunked on by Tmac.
Bradley did a hell of a lot more than just block shots (although he is arguably the best shotblocker to ever step foot on the NBA hardwood). He was also a damn fine rebounder in his prime. He could hit the mid range jumper better than any center on this roster. He was adept at passing out of the post. He was one of the best free throw shooting centers in the NBA for most of his career. He was skillful at the outlet pass, initiating many a Maverick fast break. He had an absolutely unblockable hook shot. He was deceptively physical, inspiring hundreds of technical fouls and disqualifications from opposing centers. He caused dozens of injuries with his pointy elbows flaying at orbital socket levels.

I could go on.

And if Dampier and/or Diop can do anything against nimble power forwards like Amare, I haven't seen it. Both of them are slow of foot 7 foot centers. Forcing any true center to guard Amare (or Dirk, or Gasol, or Garnett) will cause major problems.. Where Bradley excels, and where both Dampier and Diop fail, is in defending the basket. There is a reason Bradley got dunked on so much, it's because he did not shy away from contesting shots and prided himself in protecting the basket... something neither Dampier nor Diop seem to be willing to do with any consistency. Our perimeter defense has improved greatly under Avery. I often wonder how great the team defense would be with Bradley down low patrolling the paint.

You can say Diop is more atheletic than Bradley, but I don't think you can say the same about Damp. Sure, he's stronger, stronger than most post players in the NBA in fact. But he's still a stiff. It's a good thing he's not white, or he would have been booed out of here faster than you can say Erick Montross.

Last edited by madape; 04-07-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #197
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

im confused. so would we be better off this year with bradley? i dont think so...

i miss him out of nostalgia, but its nice to finally have a center position thats not a liability and doesnt consist of a guy who always falls over or another who hangs out on the 3pt line chuckin up bricks
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:51 PM   #198
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

that clip you posted sixeight is awesome. i emailed it to a ton of ppl
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:03 PM   #199
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

you need to check out Gordonkeith.com

good stuff.