Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-05-2006, 10:25 AM   #41
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
Heard it on the ticket.
then it must be true!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #42
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

there the most reliable source in the metroplex. Better than ESPN crap they put out there.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:32 AM   #43
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I know bud...just teasing ya.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #44
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
I know bud...just teasing ya.
I hate you, haha, just kidding, I just hate ESPN. even though I have to watch them.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #45
sike
The Preacha

we all hate ESPN radio.....wow....other than Chuck C. doing the games...do they have a redeeming quality?

Old 04-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #46
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

ESPN radio is garbage..... absolute garbage.
The two in the morning from 9-12 are just terrible. Dan Patrick simply isn't as good as he once was. Galloway is mildly entertaining at times but isn't worth a damn at talking sports...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #47
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Per AVery on the Norm show, he has not worked out Kemo yet, but is working to get it set up for tonight.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:23 AM   #48
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
Per AVery on the Norm show, he has not worked out Kemo yet, but is working to get it set up for tonight.
thanks for the update 68.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:42 PM   #49
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Kemp

I really wouldn't mind having a Shawn Kemp in the lineup even though he's buried in the bench. He can definitely come in and help in spots. I guess AJ will be the best judge of that. Then again, I like to see DJ and Powell play. I don't think they are ready against the PFs of the NBA yet. Then again, name me a team who's backup PF is really good? Who the backup PF in SA?
Old 04-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #50
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2
I really wouldn't mind having a Shawn Kemp in the lineup even though he's buried in the bench. He can definitely come in and help in spots. I guess AJ will be the best judge of that. Then again, I like to see DJ and Powell play. I don't think they are ready against the PFs of the NBA yet. Then again, name me a team who's backup PF is really good? Who the backup PF in SA?
BIG-SHOT ROB! he's ok, but not in end of game situations...
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:38 PM   #51
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

What is there to like about Shawn Kemp? When he was good, he relied almost solely on his athleticism and his explosiveness. When that left him, he was worthless. There is no way he'll ever be close to the 25 year old that took over the league.

Is this just nostalgia? What is Avery thinking? You have to question the competence of the man if he's really considering digging this corpse out of the ground.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:40 PM   #52
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

They are just keeping all their options open. There are a bunch of spares out there, you just have to chose the sparest of the spares. I hope they don't do anything. I don't want them to waive anyone on the team right now, unless they waived Van Horn.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:26 PM   #53
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
What is there to like about Shawn Kemp? When he was good, he relied almost solely on his athleticism and his explosiveness. When that left him, he was worthless. There is no way he'll ever be close to the 25 year old that took over the league.

Is this just nostalgia? What is Avery thinking? You have to question the competence of the man if he's really considering digging this corpse out of the ground.
Kemp had a well rounded game with the cavs when his wieght wasn't such a issue he has a very good shot up to 18 feet out and is a good rebounder as a fat ass. if hes down to 280 he could be a very good back up 4
Old 04-05-2006, 03:10 PM   #54
Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler will become famous soon enough

check out this article on what Kemp's been up to..

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...38_kemp24.html

I was not all interested in picking him up until I read this....good read.
I'm pulling for a great audition tonight
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #55
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler

Amazing what committing yourself to another person will do to your perspective. If not the mavs, good luck to him.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #56
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Does he have any game left?

If he does, and you don't think that KVH can make it back, then you cut KVH (free agent anyway) and put him on the roster. See what he has for 8 games, then make the decision if him or Powell end up on the playoff roster.

Pretty simple to me. It comes down to whether he has any game left.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #57
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Does he have any game left?

If he does, and you don't think that KVH can make it back, then you cut KVH (free agent anyway) and put him on the roster. See what he has for 8 games, then make the decision if him or Powell end up on the playoff roster.

Pretty simple to me. It comes down to whether he has any game left.
I think the mavs sort of want to see what keith's contract might bring. If not they'll let him go then. All of this is sorta moot however as it would take some pretty good odds to get me to bet on the mavs getting an extension.

The NBA does owe them something however for the ridiculous playoff seeding.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 04-05-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:56 PM   #58
sp3nc3r13

sp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler

Wow, what an interesting read. Totally changed my perception of who he is. I hope the audition goes well tonight and the NBA will possibly approve this deal.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #59
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I think the mavs sort of want to see what keith's contract might bring. If not they'll let him go then. All of this is sorta moot however as it would take some pretty good odds to get me to bet on the mavs getting an extension.
I guess I don't understand all the in/outs of the CBA then. Unless they are going to try and get something out of a SNT since they have Bird's rights on him, how would they get anything either way. Trade deadline is over, and he becomes a UFA before they will be eligible to do any trading again. Am I correct?

Would they have to give up Birds rights if they released him - so they couldn't resign him unless they were under the cap?
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #60
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
I guess I don't understand all the in/outs of the CBA then. Unless they are going to try and get something out of a SNT since they have Bird's rights on him, how would they get anything either way. Trade deadline is over, and he becomes a UFA before they will be eligible to do any trading again. Am I correct?

Would they have to give up Birds rights if they released him - so they couldn't resign him unless they were under the cap?
Hmm...maybe I don't either to be honest. But I was thinking about after the season is over.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #61
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

That is my understanding too dalm.

Last edited by Drbio; 04-05-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #62
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i'd rather have abdur rahim than kvh all things being equal.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #63
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

If we can get an old pro to replace Van Horn behind Dirk, we should. If not Kemp, then Karl.

The problem I've seen with our rookies is they get beat because there are so many situations they've never seen before. They may one day soon be able to handle a Vince Carter or other seasoned vet, but for now, they keep getting exposed, because they've never had to defend people this talented. They get beat by moves any veteran would be prepared for. Thats why a Kemp or a Malone would be more valuable. They've seen every fake, and every move big shot Rob has in his bag of tricks.

Personally, I'd love to see Malone come in and give it a try. He always wanted to be a Mav. I wonder why he's off the list? Probably hasn't forgiven Carter for not drafting him, or Cubes for not saving him from that sentence to Kobe's world of whine.

If thats the case, Cuban should apologize and get him in here. He still wants a ring, so you know he'd play his butt off. He'd still get the superstar calls, and light it up at the line. It would give him the ultimate chance to say "I told you so". Plus his mom would have just a short hop to see him in the finals.

Wouldn't you just love to see Malone strip or stuff Horry in the 4th quarter of a WCF finals game?

Last edited by G-Man; 04-05-2006 at 04:24 PM.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #64
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Seattle days highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=i...g&search=dunks
Old 04-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #65
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
Wouldn't you just love to see Malone strip or stuff Horry in the 4th quarter of a WCF finals game?
You're dreaming on two levels, G-Man. First, that we could get Karl to sign in the first place. Second, that Karl would strip Horry in the WCF. It could only happen in the WC semi's!
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #66
DwD

DwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the rough

It's interesting, the kind of people Avery picks - Diop, Griffin - people who are down in life and on whom the NBA has given up. I guess he sees a little bit of himself in the determination of these players who are in the dumps but haven't given up.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:25 PM   #67
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360°
that was insane!

guy was a major beast
Old 04-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #68
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=G-Man]If we can get an old pro to replace Van Horn behind Dirk, we should. If not Kemp, then Karl.

The problem I've seen with our rookies is they get beat because there are so many situations they've never seen before. They may one day soon be able to handle a Vince Carter or other seasoned vet, but for now, they keep getting exposed, because they've never had to defend people this talented. They get beat by moves any veteran would be prepared for. Thats why a Kemp or a Malone would be more valuable. They've seen every fake, and every move big shot Rob has in his bag of tricks.
QUOTE]

another problem is that rookies will not get any respect from refs, especially in the playoffs. Who's more likely to get a call - Karl "mailman" Malone (even if he's a 50 yr old nothing at this point) or some rookie scrub we picked up out of some euro-league. Not that i'm arguing for a vet, but just being realistic about the disadvantages of rookies...
Old 04-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #69
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwD
It's interesting, the kind of people Avery picks - Diop, Griffin - people who are down in life and on whom the NBA has given up. I guess he sees a little bit of himself in the determination of these players who are in the dumps but haven't given up.
That's one reason I think a Dallas ReignMan experiment would work. Avery has a proven track record of motivating and working with down-and-out type players, and I'd bet if Kemp has improved his physical shape and conditioning as much as many recent articles indicate he has, then I'd imagine that Avery would be as capable of getting a lot of productivity out of the aged, but incredibly talented big man as any coach in this league of ours could.

And just thinking about how nastily physical and effective a bench platoon featuring Devin, Stack, Marquis, an in-shape, rested, rejuvenated Reignman, and Damp might be in the playoffs gets me pretty darned excited...

As I say in my new sig: it's time to Let it Reign!
Old 04-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #70
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexiMav
You're dreaming on two levels, G-Man. First, that we could get Karl to sign in the first place. Second, that Karl would strip Horry in the WCF. It could only happen in the WC semi's!
Funny I'd be corrected by NewMaxiMav, as I am in Taos right now, sipping a fine Tequila. In a place with no TV. Know anywhere I can watch the Spurs game Friday?
Old 04-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #71
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to behold

just find a place with ESPN

Last edited by endtroducing MASKED; 04-05-2006 at 08:53 PM.
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #72
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Funny I'd be corrected by NewMaxiMav, as I am in Taos right now, sipping a fine Tequila. In a place with no TV. Know anywhere I can watch the Spurs game Friday?
Hmmmm tequila... You'll just have to sip a little more and dream of the butt-kicking the mavs will be handing the sk*rts.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #73
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

I pray that we don't re-sign Keith Van Horn.. cut him loose now and bring Kemp in.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #74
G-Man
Platinum Member

That article in the Seattle paper got me sky high on getting a crafty veteran. Then I read this about Josh Powell, from the Star-T.

Powell -- a 6-foot-9 rookie from North Carolina State -- went out and scored 12 points and collected five rebounds in the Mavs' 127-101 victory over the Sacramento Kings.

It was an impressive audition by Powell, who converted 5 of 6 shots in 24 minutes and received a nice ovation from the American Airlines Center sellout crowd.

"I think he showed you why we like him," coach Avery Johnson said. "We have a lot of confidence in him.

"We like his energy, and, as we move forward, he can be a nice prototype NBA power forward."

During one 57-second sequence, Powell scored on a layup; blocked Brad Miller's shot attempt near the basket so far that it ended up past midcourt; was fouled on a drive to the basket and made two free throws; and grabbed a defensive rebound, sprinted upcourt and scored on an offensive rebound.

I say cut KVH, bring in Kemp or Karl, and let them battle Powell for PT.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #75
Scoobay
Golden Member

Quote:

During one 57-second sequence, Powell scored on a layup; blocked Brad Miller's shot attempt near the basket so far that it ended up past midcourt; was fouled on a drive to the basket and made two free throws; and grabbed a defensive rebound, sprinted upcourt and scored on an offensive rebound.

I say cut KVH, bring in Kemp or Karl, and let them battle Powell for PT.
Anyone have the clip of Powell's block? nba.com didn't show it on their highlight reel...
Old 04-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #76
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

look @ espn.com, they show it. go to the article about the mavs win, you may have to go their team page

if we cut KVH, what happens salary wise? also, why are we so afraid to cut marshall? he's an incredibly rough player at a position where we are loaded
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:10 PM   #77
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no capologist, but I'm sure that we would lose Killers' Bird rights if we cut him, and I can't imagine that we really want to do that. My guess is that Donnie & co. will still want to re-sign Keith at a relatively low price this Summer, or at least become involved in a sign and trade deal that would send him to a courting, desirous team, so I'll agree with the FWST and say that if we were going to sign ReignMan, Mr. Marshall would almost certainly be the guy to get cut (although I could see the young man returning in the future).

However, I do hold out hope that the league still might give us a precious hardship exemption (unless I've somehow missed something, that still appears to be a possibility), in which case I'd bet a Kemp signing would be a slam-dunk for us, assuming the Elkhart, Indiana natives' workout and interview went well with the Little General today...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 04-05-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #78
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I was at the game last night, Powell looked really good. He hit several jumpers from 15 ft--that dude's got nice range on his shot, he's not just a banger, although he appears willing to bang with anybody.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #79
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
I'm no capologist, but I'm sure that we would lose Killers' Bird rights if we cut him, and I can't imagine that we really want to do that. My guess is that Donnie & co. will still want to re-sign Keith at a relatively low price this Summer, or at least become involved in a sign and trade deal that would send him to a courting, desirous team, so I'll agree with the FWST and say that if we were going to sign ReignMan, Mr. Marshall would almost certainly be the guy to get cut (although I could see the young man returning in the future).

However, I do hold out hope that the league still might give us a precious hardship exemption (unless I've somehow missed something, that still appears to be a possibility), in which case I'd bet a Kemp signing would be a slam-dunk for us, assuming the Elkhart, Indiana natives' workout and interview went well with the Little General today...

So is Keith's expiring contract gone except for the mavs?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:38 PM   #80
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi
I was at the game last night, Powell looked really good. He hit several jumpers from 15 ft--that dude's got nice range on his shot, he's not just a banger, although he appears willing to bang with anybody.
Powell did look pretty damned good during that 7 minute stretch yesterday, and assuming he keeps on developing, I hope he remains a fixture in our Mavs' rotation for many years to come. That said, you can never have too many horses to ride in your frontcourt rotation, especially in the playoffs, and I would be much happier to see our Mavs go to war with Dirk/Diop/Damp/DJ/Reignman/Powell assailing our foes in the paint, rather than with a thinner Dirk/Diop/DJ/Damp/Powell platoon...

Assuming we can work out the roster spot issue, I just don't see how a Kemp signing could hurt us, but I sure as hell see how it could help us in battles that our Mavs will wage in the coming weeks and months ahead.

Now if Big Karl Malone was willing to sign on with the Mavs for a playoff campaign, we might have a debate here, but we've heard nary a peep about that in the press over the last few weeks, and I'd guess that Karl just isn't interested in doing something like that (I think he is still angry that the national media and a lot of Utah fans labelled him a mercenary after joining the Lakers looking for his ring, so I don't think he is interested in further tarnishing his reputation and legacy by trying the same trick again in Dallas). If the choices for a power forward augmentation for the Mavs boil down to guys like Popeye Jone, George Lynch (that was Chuck Coopersteins' inane suggestion today), or even the sharp-shooting Christian Laettner, I just don't see how the braintrust can not sign the Reignman. I love Laettner, and I bet he is our second choice right now, but I just don't think he is capable of providing the physical presence, the playoff experience, the shot-blocking, or the high-percentage low-post offense that a slimmed down but hungry Kemp (hungry for the HOF, and for redemption, if not the buffet line) can provide for us in the playoffs this year.

Hell, I bet that even a Cavaliers-style, heavy Kemp would have been capable of making a big difference for us in our Suns series last season, and my gut instinct is that the talented, slimmed-down, and motivated big man is capable of doing far more today...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 04-05-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote