Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-05-2006, 10:44 PM   #81
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
So is Keith's expiring contract gone except for the mavs?
Other folks can probably answer this question better than I, but as I understand it, we lost the ability to trade away his old contract at the trade deadline this year. Now signing and trading the man with a new contract is something I know we can execute with his Bird rights, so I just can't see us jettisoning the sharp-shooting Ute until the free agency period begins this Summer. You just don't throw away value like that, and as I said, I'd guess that Donnie still probably wants to re-sign him at a bargain contract price.

That said, my guess is that we've probably already had a hardship exemption approved by the league, and the braintrust just hasn't announced it yet, or else Mr. Marshall is going to be cut sometime in the next day or two (quite possibly to return this Summer), and either the Reignman (if Avery likes what he saw and heard this afternoon) or Laettner will be joining us for the playoffs...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 04-06-2006 at 12:32 AM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2006, 10:44 PM   #82
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360°
Before Stoudemire...there was Reign.

Last edited by orangedays; 04-05-2006 at 10:45 PM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:57 PM   #83
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
Other folks can probably answer this question better than I, but as I understand it, we lost the ability to trade away his old contract at the trade deadline this year. Now signing and trading the man with a new contract is something I know we can execute with his Bird rights, so I just can't see us jettisoning the sharp-shooting Ute until the free agency period begins this Summer. You just don't throw away value like that, and as I said, my gut instinct says that Donnie still probably wants to re-sign him at a bargain contract price.

That said, my guess is that we've probably already have had a hardship exemption approved by the league, and the braintrust just hasn't announced it yet, or else Mr. Marshall is going to be cut sometime in the next day or two (quite possibly to return this Summer), and either the Reignman (if Avery likes what he saw and heard this afternoon) or Laettner will be joining us for the playoffs...
I would agree with you, he certainly won't get anywhere near the contract he's had before so we will get the expiring contract benefits period. Hopefully we will re-sign him cheap as well. If he'll be happy as a bench guy he's got a bunch o' skills.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:05 AM   #84
sp3nc3r13

sp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nice

Any new information to speak of about this?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:35 AM   #85
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3nc3r13
Any new information to speak of about this?
Neither the DMN or FWST have posted tomorrows' Mavs' articles on their websites yet, but we can hope that when they do (in about an hour or so) they will include some news concerning Shawn Kemps' Houston workout with the Little General yesterday...

Edit: (incidentally, I've been checking for those newspaper updates for quite a while now, because if either one announces that one of my no-holds barred, all-time favorite players Shawn Kemp is going to join the Mavs on their championship playoff run, it will feel like gosh-darned Christmas to me )...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 04-06-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:44 AM   #86
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
Neither the DMN or FWST have posted tomorrows' Mavs' articles on their websites yet, but we can hope that when they do (in about an hour or so) they will include some news concerning Shawn Kemps' Houston workout with the Little General yesterday...
thats cause he did not work with AJ til today....we'll hear some updates tomorrow I would wager

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:58 AM   #87
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
thats cause he did not work with AJ til today....we'll hear some updates tomorrow I would wager
Are you sure about that Sike? Here's what the DMN had to say about the workout on their website earlier today:

Quote:
Kemp worked out for coach Avery Johnson on Wednesday in Houston, where Johnson was with his family as the Mavericks took a day off. George Lynch worked out earlier this week. Christian Laett- ner also is on the list of prospects.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t.89a8644.html
If you heard that workout got cancelled or postponed (through the radio or in print), that was information that I unfortunately missed...

Edit- Whoops, I misunderstood you Sike. Because Kemp reportedly worked out for Avery today (technically yesterday), that's why I'm waiting for the DMN and FWST sites to update with tomorrow's (technically today's, meaning Thursday's) articles...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 04-06-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:24 AM   #88
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
Before Stoudemire...there was Reign.
This statement is so true. So similar.

I have no idea what he could bring us, as the last thing I remember from Shawn was his fat ass jogging in a Portland uniform. But, if he wants to dunk, block, and rebound for a new contract with us in the playoffs, come on board. If I can take us getting Juwan, #8, or Damp as new mavs, I can take Kemp.

What about Tarpley?

Or Rodman?

Weren't they both looking to come back into the league?
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:30 AM   #89
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglemann
What about Tarpley?

Or Rodman?

Weren't they both looking to come back into the league?
I'd be very happy with a Tarp signing, but that old, troubled warhorse is probably too old, and Cuban all but ruled out bringing him back as a Mav last year...
Old 04-06-2006, 01:36 AM   #90
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

rightO evil, my lad, AJ and Kemp..worked out Wednesday...at least thats what I understood from his interview with Norm today...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-06-2006, 07:15 AM   #91
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Would Kemp fit into Mavs' plans?

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks are in wait-and-see mode regarding Shawn Kemp. Weight-and-see mode, too.

Keeping the roster they have remains the most likely scenario, but the Mavericks are keeping their options open regarding the beefy Kemp and other candidates.

Kemp worked out for coach Avery Johnson on Wednesday in Houston, where Johnson was with his family as the Mavericks took a day off. George Lynch worked out earlier this week. Christian Laettner also is on the list of prospects.

Kemp hasn't played in the NBA since the 2002-03 season. He fought weight and substance-abuse problems late in his career, bloating well past 300 pounds. He was sentenced last May to a year's probation for possession of marijuana.

"Shawn would be a proven NBA player at absolutely no risk to the Mavericks," said Tony Dutt, long-time agent for Kemp who also was Johnson's agent during his playing days. Dutt said Kemp had trimmed down to about 270.

To acquire Kemp or anybody else, the Mavericks must get a roster exception from the NBA for medical reasons or waive a player.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:33 AM   #92
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Sefko is such a friggin dumbass. I saw a tv blurb on Kemp last night and he is hardly "beefy" anymore. I wish this guy would get a single fact correct in just one of his pathetic writings. How Sefko keeps his job is beyond me. He must do some under the desk work for the editor.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:36 AM   #93
sike
The Preacha

the Mavericks must get a roster exception from the NBA for medical reasons or waive a player.

does anyone know how likely or unlikely this is?

Old 04-07-2006, 06:36 AM   #94
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS NOTES

Johnson, Kemp fail to hook up

By DWAIN PRICE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Shawn Kemp was unable to travel to Houston to work out for Mavericks coach Avery Johnson on Wednesday.

But that doesn't mean the Mavs have given up on signing the 14-year veteran.

"I'm not disappointed, but it just didn't work," Johnson said of the missed opportunity. "We'll hopefully do it in the next day or two, so it still may happen."

A spokesman for Kemp's agent, Houston-based Tony Dutt, said Dutt was out of the country and wouldn't be back in Houston until Monday.

Because of season-ending surgery to Keith Van Horn, the Mavs are hoping to receive a medical exception from the NBA to sign a 16th player to their roster, conceivably Kemp or someone else.

But Johnson isn't optimistic the league will grant that exception.

"It's becoming more and more gloomy," Johnson said. "It was sunny, but now it's partly cloudy and it's going to start raining soon if we don't get that [medical] exception."

If the Mavs aren't granted an exception, they could still sign a player but would have to waive one of their current 15 players.

Nowitzki on Bowen

Dirk Nowitzki praised San Antonio Spurs forward Bruce Bowen for being a solid defender.

But he said those who believe Bowen intimidates him are mistaken.

"More than anything, he just tries to make you feel uncomfortable out there," Nowitzki said. "He doesn't want you to catch it in your comfort zone, catch the ball easy and have your way all night.

"But going that far that he's gone under my skin, I wouldn't say that."

Said Avery Johnson of any Bowen intimidation: "I think that's a lot of media talk. You have great offensive players in this league where they don't let anything bother them. They just play."

Injury report

Avery Johnson said swingman Adrian Griffin, who has a strained right hamstring, will play in Saturday's home game against New Orleans/Oklahoma City.

Point guard Devin Harris, out because of a strained left quadriceps, will return for either Wednesday's game at Golden State or April 13 at Phoenix, Johnson said.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote