Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-06-2006, 07:23 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Diop struggling a bit lately

MAVERICKS NOTES

Diop struggling a bit lately

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Mavericks center DeSagana Diop knew exactly why coach Avery Johnson yanked him out early in the third quarter of Tuesday's 127-101 trouncing of Sacramento.

"I messed up on defense," Diop admitted.

He was late to help out on a couple of defensive rotations, prompting Johnson to send in backup Erick Dampier.

If Diop didn't get the message, his coach reiterated it after the game.

"He's going to have to wake up and get himself together because we can't have those defensive lapses as we move on," said Johnson, adding that the starting center's consistency has waned recently.

Diop has played only 29 minutes in the past two games, totaling only four points, six rebounds and one blocked shot.

Though he has played more minutes (1,367) this season than in any other of his five-year career, Diop isn't citing fatigue for his drop-off.

"I feel great," he said. "It's not physical, just mental."

Powell impresses

The performance turned in by Josh Powell against Sacramento had some questioning the logic of auditioning veteran backups for power forward Dirk Nowitzki.

But Avery Johnson knows it's not practical to expect 12 points and five rebounds out of a rookie every game, especially in the playoffs.

"We're looking for consistency," Johnson said.

Powell played with confidence and aggressiveness against the Kings, showing why the Mavs believe he has a bright future.

And Powell didn't seem surprised by his production.

"Who doesn't want to play? I'm a competitor," he said. "I go hard in practice and when I'm not in practice. I'm in here even when a lot of guys aren't."

Kemp excited

The agent for Shawn Kemp said his client hopes to sign with the Mavs. The former All-Star power forward, who retired three years ago, was scheduled to work out Wednesday for Avery Johnson in Houston.

"Shawn is excited about the chance," agent Tony Dutt said.

The Mavs are considering veteran options to replace the injured Keith Van Horn as Dirk Nowitzki's backup. George Lynch worked out for the team earlier this week.

Nowitzki's coach charged

Dirk Nowitzki's personal coach and mentor Holger Geschwindner has been charged with tax evasion in Germany, according to published reports.

Geschwindner, 60, spent five weeks in custody last summer while officials investigated questions arising from his financial relationship with Nowitzki.

German officials have said they believe Geschwindner evaded taxes on income earned through Nowitzki.

Not back yet

Blowout victories against Denver and Sacramento helped relieve some of the worry caused by last week's season-high three-game losing streak, but Jason Terry isn't convinced the Mavs are out of the woods.

He could be convinced after Friday's trip down Interstate 35.

"We have a game coming up against San Antonio where we really have to focus in on the execution part of our game," Terry said. "If we can come out of there with a win, then we'll be back on track."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

he's been a fine back up center....which IS what he is. Damp is been such high quality the last 30 games.....earning that money....I love it when big Damp is a "force in the paint"

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Nowitzki's coach charged

Dirk Nowitzki's personal coach and mentor Holger Geschwindner has been charged with tax evasion in Germany, according to published reports.

Geschwindner, 60, spent five weeks in custody last summer while officials investigated questions arising from his financial relationship with Nowitzki.

German officials have said they believe Geschwindner evaded taxes on income earned through Nowitzki.
How the hell does Germany have a right to tax money made in the US? Or is this for promotions, endorsements, etc while actually in Germany? What a crock.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
he's been a fine back up center....which IS what he is. Damp is been such high quality the last 30 games.....earning that money....I love it when big Damp is a "force in the paint"
I have been VERY happy with Damp lately. He's played with a little passion and intensity.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
How the hell does Germany have a right to tax money made in the US? Or is this for promotions, endorsements, etc while actually in Germany? What a crock.
gee, maybe it is due to the fact that Geschwindner is a German citizen who is obligated to pay taxes on his income, it doesn't matter if that income is earned in Germany or the US.

US citizens who work and live outside of he US also pay income tax on their earnings (although they get lots of of credits/exclusions).
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:10 AM   #6
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Income schmincome.

It's just one friend taking care of another friend.

Holger should defect.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Germany has done this with every great athlete. Just cause Holger is friends and mentor to Dirk, doesn't mean he's sitting pretty with cash from Dirk. Germany is a crazy taxing government. I guess Holger has to pay 80% of his income to the state than the usual 60%.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:37 AM   #8
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglemann
Germany has done this with every great athlete. Just cause Holger is friends and mentor to Dirk, doesn't mean he's sitting pretty with cash from Dirk. Germany is a crazy taxing government. I guess Holger has to pay 80% of his income to the state than the usual 60%.
Ok, tell me how a normal citizen has to pay 60% of his income to the government?

The maximum income taxes are 42%

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I have been VERY happy with Damp lately. He's played with a little passion and intensity.
Define "lately". In the last two games, sure, Dampier has been average (which based on the low expectations he's set here, means "good").

But it was only three games ago that his pathetic, unsinspired play sent Avery Johnson into a headline grabbing tirade:

"Part of my tirade was because [Erick Dampier] wasn't doing what he was supposed to do" Johnson explained...
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:10 PM   #10
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
Define "lately". In the last two games, sure, Dampier has been average (which based on the low expectations he's set here, means "good").

But it was only three games ago that his pathetic, unsinspired play sent Avery Johnson into a headline grabbing tirade:

"Part of my tirade was because [Erick Dampier] wasn't doing what he was supposed to do" Johnson explained...
Avery called out almost all of the players, except for Dirk. So this doesn't count for too much here. The whole team, except for Dirk, didn't play the way they should've.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #11
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Well, in the post game interview, AJ mentioned two players. JET and Dampier. He mentioned Dampier first.

All I'm saying is that if you take an unbaised view of his performance, you have to recognize that "lately", he's been off some days and on others. Typical Dampier.

As long as he saves his "on days" for the playoffs, we'll be OK. However, another humilating performance like las year and I'll personally run him out of town on a rail.

Last edited by madape; 04-06-2006 at 01:54 PM.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:19 PM   #12
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

another humilating performance like las year and I'll personally run him out of town on a rail.

I don't think you'll be alone....but I think its more important that Dirk has a bounce back playoff than Damp.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #13
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
Typical Dampier.

As long as he saves his "on days" for the playoffs, we'll be OK. However, another humilating performance like las year and I'll personally run him out of town on a rail.

Well Ape, I'm happy to see you do want Damp to suceed. Sometimes its hard to tell.

One problem I sense with our center tandem is that between them, they have very little playoff experience. Diop has never played on a team that had a meaningful game in April before. Last year was Dampier's first playoff experience. Same too with Devin, and Terry, all of whom played sub-par in the post season. At least this year, Diop is the only playoff virgin. I'm glad to see AJ working on him mentally to get him active. In the past he has responded well when called out.

This is really crunch time for our young coach. He's not only got to weave all these missing players back into the flow, he has to massage them mentally to get them in the right state of mind for the grind. He has to know who's buttons to push and where to back off. Based on how much AJ has improved his performance since this time last year, it will be interesting to watch him. He's had a full year to contemplate his own rookie mistakes in last years's playoffs. The dressing down after the 3rd loss has to be seen in this context. It seemed to work well. It led directly to 2 blowout wins against playoff bound teams. I loved the way Terry came right out and admitted he wasn't getting the job done. Diops attitude seems to be what you'd want. Now we have to wait to see how long and strong it continues.

Beat SA!