Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #361
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I'd pick the Mavs to win also. But, I would also expect them to rebound the ball much better.

What exactly are you disagreeing with in my post?
I thought you said the Mavs would definitely lose to the Spurs if they didn't pick it up on the glass.

I'm just sayin', I think we could spot this rag-tag team a few boards and still send their asses home. But I'm afraid someone else may do it first!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #362
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

23 straight games for Dirk with at least 23 points. In 12 of those games, 30 + points. And yeah, he has been extremely efficient as well.

It's great to see Howard playing so well on the road. That was huge.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:56 PM   #363
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I don't get this halftime analysis. This is EXACTLY where the Mavericks want the Spurs at the half. They don't want to give it everything they've got in the first half, and then let the Spurs make a run back at them and get the crowd involved. No. The Mavs want to put this away in about an eight-minute stretch starting with roughly two minutes left in the third. All they need to do until then is keep it close to tied.

My sense says that the Mavs are going to win this game tonight. And I don't expect it to be close in the last minute or two. SAS is smoke and mirrors right now.
Just wanted to point out how prescient I was.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:56 PM   #364
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I thought you said the Mavs would definitely lose to the Spurs if they didn't pick it up on the glass.

I'm just sayin', I think we could spot this rag-tag team a few boards and still send their asses home. But I'm afraid someone else may do it first!
Chum, my point is that I don't think the Mavs can hold them to 37.8% shooting for a series. If they make just a few more shots, the issue the Mavs had on the defensive glass suddenly makes a huge difference.

I think the Mavs are the better team, but they just need to make sure they attack the defensive glass a little better. And yeah, the offensive glass as well...only 4 boards on the offensive side.

But yeah, ..hell yeah..great win. I completely believe that the Mavs will do a much better job on the glass... Just saying that they need to.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:57 PM   #365
Murphy3
Guru

There has got to be more people on here talking some Mavs ball.. this just isn't good enough.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #366
Murphy3
Guru

My adrenaline is still maxed right now.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #367
NXperience

NXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to all

Quote:
There has got to be more people on here talking some Mavs ball.. this just isn't good enough.
Maybe all people went to spurs boards
NXperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:02 PM   #368
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Chum, my point is that I don't think the Mavs can hold them to 37.8% shooting for a series. If they make just a few more shots, the issue the Mavs had on the defensive glass suddenly makes a huge difference.

I think the Mavs are the better team, but they just need to make sure they attack the defensive glass a little better. And yeah, the offensive glass as well...only 4 boards on the offensive side.

But yeah, ..hell yeah..great win. I completely believe that the Mavs will do a much better job on the glass... Just saying that they need to.
It's a true point. If all else were equal, yet the Spurs made some more shots, the rebounding would have been costly. But part of the rebounding deficiency may have had to do with the respective lineups, and those respective lineups may also have had to do with the Mavs outshooting the aged, hapless Spurs by a wide margin.

I do think it's likely that we won't see a lot of these matchups next time out, assuming the Spurs can hold off the fast-charging Lakers or Kings. But then again, I'd have loved to have had Adrian Griffin in this game. Something tells me Griff would have found a few missed shots with his name on them.

I'm starting to think Griffin may be every bit as important as Harris to our ultimate postseason success, if not more so.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #369
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

All I have to say is thank you Sacramento! That victory really made this chase possible again and now we just need to take care of business and hope San Antonio slips up!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #370
KFunk

KFunk will become famous soon enough

I'll talk mavs ball for you

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
DIRK NO FREAKIN WITZKI!!!!!

I was about to start yelling at the announcer who tried to discredit the win, talking about how they missed Horry's defense on Dirk.
Thankfully the other announcer came right back and said "how about dallas missing a guy like adrian griffin... a guy like devin harris... a guy like keith van horn"
KFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:06 PM   #371
NXperience

NXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
All I have to say is thank you Sacramento! That victory really made this chase possible again and now we just need to take care of business and hope San Antonio slips up!
Yes that's right. And I'm so hoping for Memphis to upset them so we "just" need to win out.
NXperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:06 PM   #372
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent. Just Excellent. This was a grind it out game, and that's the most satisfying type of victory against the Spurts. No "we caught on fire" win, "they couldn't hit the wide side of a barn" win, this was just a workman like win. They went into the SBC center and handled business appropriately, which is to say, we handed them their ass on a platter.

Last edited by bernardos70; 04-07-2006 at 10:07 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #373
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

The Mavs (and especially Dirk) made me proud!

*special props to Diop also for the great defense on Duncan and the big blocks.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:09 PM   #374
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
It's a true point. If all else were equal, yet the Spurs made some more shots, the rebounding would have been costly. But part of the rebounding deficiency may have had to do with the respective lineups, and those respective lineups may also have had to do with the Mavs outshooting the aged, hapless Spurs by a wide margin.

I do think it's likely that we won't see a lot of these matchups next time out, assuming the Spurs can hold off the fast-charging Lakers or Kings. But then again, I'd have loved to have had Adrian Griffin in this game. Something tells me Griff would have found a few missed shots with his name on them.

I'm starting to think Griffin may be every bit as important as Harris to our ultimate postseason success, if not more so.
Well, Griff would have helped some. But, the big issue wasn't the lineup. It was the Mavs only getting 3 defensive boards combined out of Diop and Damp in a combined 47 minutes.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #375
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

Dirk had a very poor first quarter. He rushed just about everything. He was downright awful. But boy oh boy did he ever settle down and get in a groove. He dictated where and when he wanted to shoot. If he ever realizes that Bowen and Co. will not block his shot and he can take his time. Watch out. He realized it tonight. I want him to continue it in the playoffs.

And like the NatureBoy says:

WOOOOIHHHHHHHHHH!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #376
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Boards aside, our centers did a very good job at protecting the basket, and manning up Duncan.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #377
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

hey Murph and Chum, glad to join you... was busy drinking beers and going insane over our win tonight... hell yes

goin to the game tomorrow against NOK (which stands for New Ortegal Kunnilingus) yeah surprised at my on-the-fly-imagination?

anyway, we beat these asshats minus Tony Parker stopper Devin Harris, and minus Bowen counter Adrian Griffin. KVH doesn't count b/c Dirk playing more minutes is better than KVH playing at all.

I love these guys. the end.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:24 PM   #378
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Awesome win. Only during that one stretch early in the second quarter was I ever nervous. The Mavs controlled this game. In my mind, Dirk sealed his right to the MVP. Too bad the voters will probably get it wrong.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:27 PM   #379
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Josh Howard was an animal in the first half and kept this team in it while everything was getting settled. Then Dirk put this team on his shoulders and carried us. BOWEN WHAT!

But give it up to J-HO AND THE DIGGLER. Is there a better 3-4 combo in this league??

We may not get the #1 seed but I am confident in our chances vs SA, homefield or not. Wait til we add Dev to the mix. It'll be a messy, sloppy, ugly, nasty, brutal, disgusting war.

And we're gonna win it.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:28 PM   #380
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
That is precisely why I was shocked at all the negativity that came about during the three game losing streak. Griffin, Harris, and Howard are all very important to the Mavs.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #381
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs > Spurs
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:49 PM   #382
chumdawg
Guru

For the Spurs, I will put this one on Manu Ginobli. He had a terrible possession with a little over a minute left. The Mavs had just got done with a bad possession on their end, going scoreless, and the Spurs had the ball down four. Finley passed to Manu, and he drove it into double-coverage underneath. Had he looked behind him, he had a wide-open Finley for a three that would have made the rest of the contest a game. Instead he pushed it over to Bowen for an ill-advised three--which, once missed, spelled the end of the Spurs' chances.

For all the Spurs' defensive prowess, they failed miserably on that one all-important offensive possession down the stretch.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:02 PM   #383
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic game tonight.

The defensive scheme, particularly against the pick and roll, was terrific. Other than Ginobili in the first half, the Mavs did a very solid job of forcing the Spurs guards to drive the opposite direction of the way they wanted to go (e.g., Van Exel and Ginobili to the right), and our guards were also very solid at getting over the top of screens and then riding the Spurs guards right into our bigs while cutting off the passing angle back to the Spurs big. Jason Terry, in particular, was outstanding. That was the best pick and roll defense I've ever seen him play. He really did a good job on Parker.

I thought the biggest key to the defense besides the scheme, though, was the focus. In the game on March 2, the Mavs had a number of key defensive lapses down the stretch. Not so tonight. The Mavs had very few mental errors on defense all night long, and they had none that I saw down the stretch. They forced the Spurs to take very difficult shots, and it was the difference in the game.

On offense, the Mavs were incredibly patient. Whatever the Spurs threw at Dirk, the Mavs calmly ran their offense and beat the defense. When they doubled Dirk, Dirk made the right passes. When they tried to use a small like Bowen or Finley, the Mavs patiently got Dirk the ball in position to do his damage, and he did. When the Spurs went to Mohammed on Dirk, Dirk abused him. When the Spurs tried Duncan, Dirk ripped him apart, too.

Dirk has to be the MVP of the league.

Have I mentioned Josh Howard on offense yet? He was terrific in the first half, and he really kept the team afloat until Dirk got going to take over the game. He was aggressive and attacked whoever was guarding him, with great success. As someone else mentioned, great to see him play well on the road. If he does that in the playoffs, this is truly a team to be feared.

There's a lot more going through my head, but that's a good start. Best win of the year, and it really puts the Mavs in a good psychological position going into the playoffs, whether they are No. 1 or No. 4.

They know they can beat the Spurs. Now all they have to do is go out and do it.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #384
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Good thing Manu didn't pass the ball to Fin because that guy had "kill the mavs" autographed on every open shot he took.

Somebody made an interesting point about tonight's game that conflicted with the ESPN pre-game show saying that the Spurs have the deepest team in the league. The Mavs basically wore out the Spurs tonight. They didn't have any more punches to throw the last few minutes of the game.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:05 PM   #385
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

The Spurs were dead when Dirk hit that jumper over Bowen early in the 3rd. If you've watched Dirk enough you can tell when starting to feel it.

Huge shot by Josh Powell in the 4th when they left him alone.

JT didn't have a big scoring game but his six points after the Spurs went up by 11 were huge.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #386
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran

On offense, the Mavs were incredibly patient. Whatever the Spurs threw at Dirk, the Mavs calmly ran their offense and beat the defense. When they doubled Dirk, Dirk made the right passes. When they tried to use a small like Bowen or Finley, the Mavs patiently got Dirk the ball in position to do his damage, and he did. When the Spurs went to Mohammed on Dirk, Dirk abused him. When the Spurs tried Duncan, Dirk ripped him apart, too.

Sorry, I didn't read your whole post, but I skimmed through and found this nice little nugget of wisdom which reminded me about something. Dirk didn't have to fight nearly as hard as he had to during the last Spurs game. Most of the game, I didn't even notice whether or not Bowen was on the court.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #387
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
Fantastic game tonight.

The defensive scheme, particularly against the pick and roll, was terrific. Other than Ginobili in the first half, the Mavs did a very solid job of forcing the Spurs guards to drive the opposite direction of the way they wanted to go (e.g., Van Exel and Ginobili to the right), and our guards were also very solid at getting over the top of screens and then riding the Spurs guards right into our bigs while cutting off the passing angle back to the Spurs big. Jason Terry, in particular, was outstanding. That was the best pick and roll defense I've ever seen him play. He really did a good job on Parker.

I thought the biggest key to the defense besides the scheme, though, was the focus. In the game on March 2, the Mavs had a number of key defensive lapses down the stretch. Not so tonight. The Mavs had very few mental errors on defense all night long, and they had none that I saw down the stretch. They forced the Spurs to take very difficult shots, and it was the difference in the game.

Have I mentioned Josh Howard on offense yet? He was terrific in the first half, and he really kept the team afloat until Dirk got going to take over the game. He was aggressive and attacked whoever was guarding him, with great success. As someone else mentioned, great to see him play well on the road. If he does that in the playoffs, this is truly a team to be feared.

There's a lot more going through my head, but that's a good start. Best win of the year, and it really puts the Mavs in a good psychological position going into the playoffs, whether they are No. 1 or No. 4.

They know they can beat the Spurs. Now all they have to do is go out and do it.
Quoting the whole thing, but it's the bolded part I want to second. I absolutely LOVED what JT contributed on the defensive end tonight.

And yeah, if you don't view Dirk as the player most deserving of the MVP at this point (admittedly with a week's worth of games to go) you're a complete moron.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #388
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
JT didn't have a big scoring game but his six points after the Spurs went up by 11 were huge.
This bears seconding. JT was huge in the first half when the Mavs were struggling a bit. Not necessarily that someone else wouldn't have made the shots, but it was nice to see JET step up there.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:21 AM   #389
jleefilled
Platinum Member

I was very pleasantly surprised by both how JT attacked the rim on the offense and how he manned up on defense. I don't know if I've ever seen him play better D. My one gripe with him tonight is that I don't like the tone he sets in the half-court game -- everything seems to slow down to the point where all rhythm is lost.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:26 AM   #390
chumdawg
Guru

Looking back at the play-by-play I was reminded that the Mavs played the ENTIRE second hald from ahead. Yeah, they were down two at the half. But they scored the first four points of the second half and they took control from there.

Poor San Antonio. They were embarrassed tonight. Particularly given how their season has gone of late, I suspec that they are done shortly after the postseason starts. At this point, I expect they will lose in the first round.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:05 AM   #391
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I left for work and the Mavs were up 1 with 3 minutes or so in the 1st half. I called home at the half to see what the score was and I hear about Finley hitting another 3 at the end of the quarter.

I called home a couple more times to check the score and was pleased with the Mavs win. It's too bad that the Spurs still have a 1 game lead but here's hoping that Memphis helps us out some with a win on Sunday.

I know one thing for sure. It doesn't matter (to me) who has homecourt advantage anymore because this 2nd round matchup is going to rock.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:05 AM   #392
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Yea I think the Spurs have to feel like shit right now but I expect that to pump them up rather than kill their pride. Spurs would've done better just playing their bench out there. Talk about stinking it up. The starters should put the blame on their shoulders. The only resaon the Spurs were in this game was because of the Spurs bench.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:17 AM   #393
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Spurs would've done better just playing their bench out there. The starters should put the blame on their shoulders. The only resaon the Spurs were in this game was because of the Spurs bench.
I was thinking the same thing when the Mavs made their run late in the 1st half. The Spurs bench came to play (Finley, NVE, Oberto) and the only Spurs starter to show up was Ginobli.

Duncan put the blame on himself in one of the recaps I read. He's done nothing in this series and that should worry the Spurs.

I couldn't help myself I scanned one of the Spurs boards (funny how many Mavs fans are there talking shit and they mentioned the same thing about the bench contributing more than the starters.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #394
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Great win, wonderful to win in that arena and win with defense.

First, I hate that the rebounding was so horrid in the first. It was better down the stretch, but man, Oberto Beef Jerky really hurt us.

Second, don't expect the Spurs to shoot that well from three ever again. Its probably the only reason this game wasn't a blowout. Two lucky threes by finley to end the first and second quarters and NVE hitting from everywhere. It reminded me of that last Detriot loss we had, where they were like 9-12 from three I think. If all the spurs can do to stay in the game is hit 50% percent from three, that bodes well for our matchup later.

Third, if we play strong perimeter defense, stopping penetration from Manu and Parker, we will kill this team. Duncan against our giants can't do anything and he's slowed so much that his foot speed isn't faster than Diop or Damp. IF our guys like JT, Devin, and DA can keep in front of Parker and IF griffen, Josh, Marquis, and Stack can keep Manu outside the lane, we got this in the bag.

Great job by Josh for keeping us in the game in the first and give it up for Dirk for being the MVP and finally realizing that no one, I mean no one, can guard him in this league.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #395
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

MFFL
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote