Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 08-20-2004, 12:40 PM   #1
sandersd

sandersd is on a distinguished road
Default Trading Draft Picks - CBA

could someone clarify how draft picks are treated in trades. how much value can you take back with a 1st or 2nd round pick?
sandersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2004, 12:48 PM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Trading Draft Picks - CBA

Picks don't count as salary in the CBA. So if a trade a player making 5 million I can't take back any more salary by adding a draft pick to the trade. I would still only be able to take back 115% + 100k in salary.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:50 PM   #3
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

it depnds on the team... i would give charlotte/Atl much more for their first rounder than I would give San Antonio or Indiana. I think the going rate for a good 1st round pick would be a very good player (a stackhouse type... maybe better) while taking on a very undesirable contract. Maybe a good prospect would have to be thrown in.

EDIT: when you say value... do you mean finacially or talent wise????
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
sandersd

sandersd is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Trading Draft Picks - CBA

i meant financially

when denver got Kmart for picks or LA got Kittles for a pick, is that only because they were under the cap? could dallas trade a player for only a pick?

sandersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:57 PM   #5
lonny22

lonny22 is on a distinguished road

The Mavs can trade a player for a pick only if the other team is far enough under the cap to take their whole salary. The Jazz were offering to take undesirable contracts for draft picks last year. They would give up a 2nd, but you were giving them picks for their cooperation.

When teams trade players without getting salary back or trade more salary than they take back, they get a trade exception if the player was traded by himself.
lonny22 is offline   Reply With Quote