Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 08-18-2004, 09:22 AM   #1
scorched03

scorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the rough
Default marion

dunno why ppl want carter, even if he's great, but he has injury concerns. marion number's are like a PF. he blocks/rebounds/steals. he fills up stat sheets and he's younger and def. a better suited player for starting SF. if suns are so desperate to rid him how abt these

Dallas trades: SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.3 minutes)
Dallas receives: PG Howard Eisley (6.9 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 4.1 apg in 21.8 minutes)
SF Shawn Marion (19.0 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.7 apg in 40.7 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -0.6 ppg, -1.4 rpg, and +1.0 apg.

Phoenix trades: PG Howard Eisley (6.9 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 4.1 apg in 21.8 minutes)
SF Shawn Marion (19.0 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.7 apg in 40.7 minutes)
Phoenix receives: SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 67 games)
SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 26 games)
PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 6 games)
Change in team outlook: +0.6 ppg, +1.4 rpg, and -1.0 apg.

save cap space. but unrealistic trade unless they really want to oust him.

Dallas trades: PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.3 minutes)
SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
C Shawn Bradley (3.3 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: SF Shawn Marion (19.0 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.7 apg in 40.7 minutes)
PG Howard Eisley (6.9 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 4.1 apg in 21.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +4.7 ppg, +1.5 rpg, and +2.2 apg.

Phoenix trades: SF Shawn Marion (19.0 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.7 apg in 40.7 minutes)
PG Howard Eisley (6.9 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 4.1 apg in 21.8 minutes)
Phoenix receives: PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 6 games)
SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 26 games)
C Shawn Bradley (3.3 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 66 games)
Change in team outlook: -4.7 ppg, -1.5 rpg, and -2.2 apg

this or work on getting LOW post scorers

scorched03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2004, 09:32 AM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:marion

Like the idea, but we have no need for Eisley now. If they want to move Marion to Dallas, then I think it would have to be a three way - with Stack/Filler moving somewhere else.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:41 AM   #3
scorched03

scorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: marion

other low post dudes to consider: kenny thomas/joe smith and add any shooter and team is great

or as someone said. donyell marshall
Old 08-18-2004, 09:45 AM   #4
scorched03

hoiberg/jacobsen/korver are some of the 3 pt snippers that dallas could use
Old 08-18-2004, 11:52 AM   #5
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

No way im taking Eisley.

They need a center, we throw them Booth or Bradley.

Stack/JoHo/Booth ro Bradley.
Marion
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:57 AM   #6
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

i dont want marion. You see the way he is shooting in the Olympics...its horrindous, and he just keeps shooting
Old 08-18-2004, 01:44 PM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I don't see why we would want to take Eisley back. WE don't need him. We're giving up too many tradeable assets to only get marginal talkent improvement and 1 reduced roster sport. I'd pass on this trade.

Now if we could do a Stack + Bradley for Marion or even better a Stack + Booth for Marion, I'd do that in a heart beat. I think that this would better meet Phoenix's needs as well since they need center help.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:20 PM   #8
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I don't like Marion although he has mucho game. I'd rather keep Howard because I think he is going to be a heckuva small forward. I don't want to trade Howard at all. I wish you guys would quit trying to trade him. He is the perfect complement to what we have now.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:27 PM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

GP, I agree that I don't want to give up Howard. Every one else we have that can play SF is really just a SG playing at SF. I'd like to have Marion and have a true backup for him. I also think Marion would tremendously help Howard develop. That's why I advocated trading either Stack + Bradley or Stack + Booth. Right now we have too many SG's and C's, so this is a better trade to meet our needs.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:39 PM   #10
scorched03

if that comes true, finley or marion would come off the bench. wonder who it'd be. although the lineup if benga is subbed for dirk for defense.

daniels
marion
howard
benga
dampier

omg.

Old 08-18-2004, 03:58 PM   #11
LRB
Guru

Benga has potential to be very good defensively. However right now, I seriously doubt if he's near as good as Dirk at defending NBA PF's.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:13 PM   #12
Unstable_Mavsfan

Unstable_Mavsfan is on a distinguished road

I think the first trade would complete the mavs transformation so I would do it. Howard is good but I don't ever see him getting to Marion's level. He just doesn't have th ephysical ability. Marion is much quicker and a much better leaper. Also, so far, Marion has proved to be a better defender. Josh hustles but he hasn't shown much ability to be a shut down defender like most of us want him to be. He played hard on defense last year but was still burned quite a bit.

And, Marion, I think/hope, would keep Nellie from being so tempted to go all offense at the end of games. A lineup of Terry/Fin/Marion/Dirk/Damp is an average to above average defensive group and an excellent rebounding and scoring squad. This would also let Marquis be the scorer off the bench and play a Nick-like role. Marquis was no ta good passer last year but he wouldn't even have to worry about this year.

Marion has never been his teams "top" player either so I don't see him causing any chemistry problems. Which is very important as we learned last year.

Unstable_Mavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:57 PM   #13
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

I think Keith van Horn is a much better fit than marion. I also like his contract more because it is shorter. A guy that i wouldnt mind is shareef Abdur-rahim. He is availible, and can play the 4 when dirk is out for 10 minutes and play 20 minutes per game at the 3. If we could arrange a stack/booth or stack/hendu trade... i would jump all over it.

Most people might not agree with me... but i would do a Stack/Booth/Hendu/Howard for Shareef/Rueban patterson/1st round draft pick.

quis (30)/Patterson (18)
Fin (30)/ Shareef (18) .......... shareef would also get 10 minutes at PF so he would be happy with his minutes.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:14 PM   #14
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

shareef wants to start, and start only. his contract is GIANT, too.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:28 PM   #15
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

If the choices are KVH, Marion or Shareef I would much rather have Marion. Marion is a team player and even did well when Marbury was there. I can't tell you how impressive that is. Marion plays defense while the other 2 act like they've never heard of the word. I am just sick to death of 1 dimensional players who only play the offense end of the court. KVH and Shareef are the same players as Jamison and Walker. No #$%%%$% thank you.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:44 PM   #16
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

No question Marion's the top dog out of those three. Lackluster Olympic performance aside, the guy's a heck of an NBA player. Still, it's not as simple as who you're getting back; it's also who you're giving up. I have no interest whatsoever in Shareef, but KVH would almost certainly come cheaper than Marion.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:49 PM   #17
fin4life

I dont think that the mavs want marion because he has a contract that goes past 2008. I agree that he is the best overall player... but maybe not the best fit on the mavericks. Shareef has only one year on his deal, so his contract isnt a big deal. KVH is the best fit IMO. KVH can score, play both foward positions, and play very well in nellie's system.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:44 PM   #18
seagullstalker35

seagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura aboutseagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura aboutseagullstalker35 has a spectacular aura about

why does everyone keep wanting stars. obviously a team full of stars doesnt work we need chemistry and balance. i say just leave the team the way it is and build around dirk with role players
seagullstalker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:54 PM   #19
fin4life

Quote:
Originally posted by: seagullstalker35
why does everyone keep wanting stars. obviously a team full of stars doesnt work we need chemistry and balance. i say just leave the team the way it is and build around dirk with role players
the reason that we are talking about stars is because the players with big contracts are ususally stars. We need to trim our roster so we need to trade 2 or 3 players for one. That means that the player coming to the mavs has to have a contract that is as big as the 2-3 players that we send. At this point, these are most of 3/4 players with really big contracts:

Marion, KVH, Shareef, Glenn Robinson, Tim Thomas, walker/jamison (been there, done that), and Lamar Odem.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:13 PM   #20
Unstable_Mavsfan

Unstable_Mavsfan is on a distinguished road

I don't see Marion as a star. He's popular because of his dunks but on the court, he's a role player. He plays great defense, rebounds, and is a consistant scorer but has never been the focus of an offense or a guy who needs a lot of shots.

KVH is far from being considered a star. He's a good shooter and decent rebounder. I've never heard anybody call him a star. Not that I want him anyway. He would only bring out the worst in Nellie.
Unstable_Mavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:18 PM   #21
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

I'd love to get Marion. He a great role player. He scores on putbacks & on the break. (He doesn't need the ball to score) ... He has a rep as an outstanding defender (although curiously he allowed opponents 17.9 PER last year - which is terrible) ... and he can defend FOUR positions.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure he's even available. The only time I've heard anything about Marion being on the block was in an offer to Orl for McGrady.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:37 AM   #22
GP

I think I have changed my mind after contemplating this. I want a back up power forward/small forward type to play 25-30 minutes a game kind of like McHale used to play with the Celts. I think the closest to that could be Shareef. He has a dynamite post game and could get singled a lot when teamed with Dirk, Terry and Finley. He really can do everything. I truely believe that he can play top-notch defense unlike Jamison. Unfortunately, he wants to be the star of a team and he hasn't played defense his entire career. He really doesn't represent duplication of Dirk because he is a low post player that can shoot the mid-range jumper. A front court of Shareef, Nowitzki and Dampier would be as good as you could get in the league.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:35 AM   #23
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

I'd love to have him here, but why should phoenix give him up... and I don't really wanna give up jho....
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:16 AM   #24
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

who would we have to send for Marshall? if it's not Stackhouse, I'm all over that one.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:56 AM   #25
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

jho could only hope to be as good as marion is now. if you can get marion by giving up only jho, stack, and booth its an obvious no brainer.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:44 PM   #26
VoteForBen

VoteForBen is on a distinguished road

Bradley-for-Marshall works under the cap. With the Raptors gaping hole in the middle, they might at least think about that. They also save a little cap room, too. Plus, if Bradley emerges in the East like everyone, myself included, thinks he will, that would be quite the deal for the Raptors until Araujo is ready.
VoteForBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:08 PM   #27
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I'd do:
Trade:
Bradley
Stackhouse
Henderson (clears some cap space)

Recieve:
Eisley
Marion
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:28 PM   #28
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I guess we should add Marion to the list of players who've asked for a trade from their team?[img]i/expressions/anim_roller.gif[/img]

I mean why would the suns get rid of Marion? They bing in J-HO(I understand that), Stack who would be what? Second string center behind Joe Johnson and Qrich? Then Henderson? What is Henderson for? Cap space does the Suns no good with this summers additions Nash and QRich. Isn't it time to resign Amare in a year or two? But I guess the question of the thread isn't whether or not the Suns would do the trade. I'd do it but it just seems like a trade that fans want to happen so they can say we have an all star at every position. Right now we have Finley, Dirk, Terry and Daniels who all need shots excluding Stack. I guess it's a good trade if you want to quit the progression of Daniels and Howard.

BTW, please say no to KVH. That's like the best thing we can do for the Bucks right now. He's an overpaid spare.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:45 PM   #29
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

KVH: overpaid? Absolutely. Spare? No freaking way.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:49 PM   #30
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
KVH: overpaid? Absolutely. Spare? No freaking way.
Yea he's a spare which is why he's become a journeyman but I have no clue to why people keep trading for him.

1996-2005
Old 08-19-2004, 06:54 PM   #31
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Spares do not carry around career averages of 17.5 points and 7.4 rebounds.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:58 PM   #32
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Not to mention he's softer than the pillsbury doughboy's belly.

1996-2005
Old 08-19-2004, 07:12 PM   #33
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'll agree that he had a nice startout in his career but it's gone downhill since. I also won't deny he can shoot the ball but I thought we learned last season that we don't need a 3 who can score? We should've just kept Jamison if this is what is was going to come to. KVH? Goodness.

1996-2005
Old 08-19-2004, 07:29 PM   #34
fin4life

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
I'll agree that he had a nice startout in his career but it's gone downhill since. I also won't deny he can shoot the ball but I thought we learned last season that we don't need a 3 who can score? We should've just kept Jamison if this is what is was going to come to. KVH? Goodness.
i agree that jamison would be a great fit right now... but we shouldnt have kept him

-We got L8, who led to dampier
-We got the PG of the future
-We got another sixth man of the yaer candidate

We made the right choice
Old 08-19-2004, 08:31 PM   #35
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'll agree that he had a nice startout in his career but it's gone downhill since. I also won't deny he can shoot the ball but I thought we learned last season that we don't need a 3 who can score? We should've just kept Jamison if this is what is was going to come to. KVH? Goodness
Last year KVH averaged 16.1 points and 7 rebounds per game. That's still well above spare level. As for last year, you may think you learned that, but the point of the lesson was exactly the opposite. AJ fit in very nicely as a scoring, rebounding SF. The +/- stats are ridiculously lopsided in favor of the argument that he had a positive impact playing alongside Dirk and a center other than Walker. And as fin4life said, the AJ trade (with the benefit of hindsight) had to be made.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:01 PM   #36
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
I'll agree that he had a nice startout in his career but it's gone downhill since. I also won't deny he can shoot the ball but I thought we learned last season that we don't need a 3 who can score? We should've just kept Jamison if this is what is was going to come to. KVH? Goodness
Last year KVH averaged 16.1 points and 7 rebounds per game. That's still well above spare level. As for last year, you may think you learned that, but the point of the lesson was exactly the opposite. AJ fit in very nicely as a scoring, rebounding SF. The +/- stats are ridiculously lopsided in favor of the argument that he had a positive impact playing alongside Dirk and a center other than Walker. And as fin4life said, the AJ trade (with the benefit of hindsight) had to be made.
Like I said above, I won't deny that he guy can't shoot. I'm not trying to deny what Jamison brought to the table last season he was our only thread inside. But the guy couldn't defend. Even some of you guys were saying he was the worst defender on this team. That's not what we need at the 3 position. I'd like a Doug Christie or a Bruce Bowen type playing the 3 position for us. I thought Josh Howard was capable of that but I guess we've given up on him.

1996-2005
Old 08-19-2004, 11:03 PM   #37
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: fin4life
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
i agree that jamison would be a great fit right now... but we shouldnt have kept him

-We got L8, who led to dampier
-We got the PG of the future
-We got another sixth man of the yaer candidate

We made the right choice

I'm not sayingI regret trading away Jamison. What i'm saying is that if you wanted a 3 who can score and go to the hoop we had that with Jamison. What we need is someone committed to defense. I know Marion is committed to the defensive end but would he be willing to settle down a bit on the scoring.

1996-2005
Old 08-20-2004, 11:02 AM   #38
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

you guys all have the same disease Cuban does. sheesh.

CHEMISTRY > ALL STAR GAME ROSTER
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote