Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-17-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Offseason Plans - Which do you like?

I am bored, and I love tinkering with the Mavs lineups. I thought up some plans for the offseason -- hopefully happening after they celebrate their first Title.

Which of these plans would you choose for Mark and Donnie to pursue, and Why?
Do you have any "better" plans? -- just make sure they are reasonable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plan #1 (Best case scenerio)

Resign JT to a basic extension- basically his same pay now with a small % increase, and increases each year for the next 3-4. Resign KVH to a MLE type contract. Resign DJ. Resign Griff.

Keep the status quo. See if Daniels can beat out Stackhouse next year. Give more playing time to Harris. Try to develop the younger guys. Pay the luxury tax.

Lineup:
No changes

Plan #2 (Gamblers plan that could make them Dominant)

Let KVH go. Resign DJ, Griff. Move DA to the coaching staff.

*** SNT Terry + Marquis Daniels + (this years #1) to Seattle for Rashard Lewis + Earl Watson
( I am expecting Terry to command about what Rashard Lewis is making now)
Why would Seattle do this? Because they want to change things and still stay under the salary cap. They do not seem to be extremely happy with Ridnour as the starting PG . This would give Ray Allen a PG. They IMO, would be trading a starter, for two starters.

*** Damp/Marshall to Memphis for Battier/Cardinal
Why would Memphis do this? They want a center to make up for Pau’s weaknesses. Damp seems to be a Memphis killer.

Dallas Lineup:
Harris/Watson - PG
Howard/ Stackhouse/Griffin - SG
Lewis/ Battier – SF
Dirk/Cardinal/Powell – PF
Diop/DJ/PPod – C

Length, Defense, Offense, Athletic – could play with anyone, any style.

NOTE: I would only do this, if they believe like I do, that DJ Benga in two years, with playing time, will develop into a Ben Wallace with scoring ability.

Plan #3 (What I expect and think most people here think will happen this summer)

Let DJ go, Let KVH go. Resign Terry to a larger contract than expected. Try to find a backup PF that can spell Dirk a little, and play D. Draft the best available player. Resign Griff.

Lineup: No change except that DJ and KVH are gone, and PPod takes DJ place and they find an out of work backup PF, or draft one.

Plan #4 (What I hope Mark doesn't decide to do)

Let KVH, Terry, DJ go.
Move Harris to start, draft a developmental backup PG.
Look for a min wage backup PF, but primarily let Powell backup Dirk.

Basically get close to getting under the luxury tax.

Lineup: Same as today with much less depth -- no Terry, KVH, or DJ

Last edited by dalmations202; 05-17-2006 at 09:16 AM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #2
scorched03

scorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the rough

1. heck yes.
2. dont think seattle would do this. and memphis would be stupid to pass that offer up cuz that's a lopsided trade for the mavs. nope
3. likely as suggested.
4. ouch. going backwards here. dont see the immediate payoff as a veteran other than DA is needed at PG.
scorched03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:00 PM   #3
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I like plan 1, but plan 3 is prolly going to happen.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

how about this?

sign and trade for terry + stackhouse + #1 pick to the clips for resigned cassell and maggette.

clips do this b/c stackhouse's contract ends after the year. mavs do it to plug maggette immediately into the starting lineup and cassell moves into a 6th man role coming off the bench. resign kvh to a MLE type of contract. resign mbenga to a $2M deal over 3 years. resign griffin.

harris/cassell
maggette/daniels
howard/griffin/marshall
nowitzki/van horn/powell
diop/dampier/mbenga/podkolzin
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:04 AM   #5
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange
how about this?

sign and trade for terry + stackhouse + #1 pick to the clips for resigned cassell and maggette.

clips do this b/c stackhouse's contract ends after the year. mavs do it to plug maggette immediately into the starting lineup and cassell moves into a 6th man role coming off the bench. resign kvh to a MLE type of contract. resign mbenga to a $2M deal over 3 years. resign griffin.

harris/cassell
maggette/daniels
howard/griffin/marshall
nowitzki/van horn/powell

This is pretty good.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
mattyd
Banned

mattyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsanctuary
This is pretty good.

I've been thinking about this all playoffs - all the talk about where Cassell will sign, I've been thinking WHY NOT DALLAS!?!?!

He's still not a "pure" point guard that passes first, but he'd be deadly on the pick and roll - and talk about a guy that loves to take the last shot. And I think we've seen how important a player like that is.

And I hope we don't let KVH go. I think the Mavs can keep him for MLE type money.
mattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:12 PM   #7
scorched03

scorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd
I've been thinking about this all playoffs - all the talk about where Cassell will sign, I've been thinking WHY NOT DALLAS!?!?!

He's still not a "pure" point guard that passes first, but he'd be deadly on the pick and roll - and talk about a guy that loves to take the last shot. And I think we've seen how important a player like that is.

And I hope we don't let KVH go. I think the Mavs can keep him for MLE type money.
wonder what the market is for a former number 2 pick that can rebound, drive, and shoot a bit. oh yeah and very often injured. hmmm wonder if its >MLE?
scorched03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #8
mattyd
Banned

mattyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorched03
wonder what the market is for a former number 2 pick that can rebound, drive, and shoot a bit. oh yeah and very often injured. hmmm wonder if its >MLE?

my point exactly...no one is going to knock his knee high socks off. so, if the money is right, keep him.
mattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
my point exactly...no one is going to knock his knee high socks off. so, if the money is right, keep him.
Yeah, might as well. The Cassell and Maggete thing looks real good.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 05-21-2006, 09:40 PM   #10
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
how about this?

harris/cassell
maggette/daniels
howard/griffin/marshall
nowitzki/van horn/powell
Love it. I think it is less likely than Plan #2 due to $$$$, etc. but I like the idea.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
Old 05-22-2006, 12:09 AM   #11
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Harris and Maggete in the backcourt would be great! I still don't know if the Clips would do this though, at least Stack is an excellent trading piece for any scenario.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:05 AM   #12
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

I don't think the Clippers do it, unless they are still unhappy with Maggette. If they are, this could be an awesome trade for both teams.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:11 AM   #13
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
and talk about a guy that loves to take the last shot. And I think we've seen how important a player like that is.
Cassell's missed all 6 of his game-winning shot attempts this past season.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:38 AM   #14
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Why are so many people enamored with Maggette? We need a wing player who can shoot the 3-pointer. A team with Harris, Maggette, Howard, Nowitzki and Diop will run its offense almost entirely within 18 feet.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:12 AM   #15
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
Why are so many people enamored with Maggette? We need a wing player who can shoot the 3-pointer. A team with Harris, Maggette, Howard, Nowitzki and Diop will run its offense almost entirely within 18 feet.
maggette has 3 point range. he doesn't shoot it terribly well, but i suspect his percentage will increase just like many players do when they play with dirk.

maggette is a stronger, younger, more intelligent, more efficient, and more explosive version of stackhouse. after watching him play quite a bit this season, i'm a big fan of his. in my opinion, we don't need a team full of jump shooters who can extend out to the 3 point line. if i recall correctly, san antonio has 1 player who has a reliable 3 pt shot in their starting lineup, and they still do pretty well.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:09 AM   #16
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
maggette has 3 point range. he doesn't shoot it terribly well, but i suspect his percentage will increase just like many players do when they play with dirk.
There's 3-point range and then there's a 3-point shooter. Antoine Walker has 3-point range, Jerry Stackhouse has 3-point range - but you wouldn't want either of those guys taking those shots would you? Whether his percentage increases as a result of playing with Dirk is questionable - Stack's hasn't gone up, right? There may be correlation but I don't think there is sufficient historical causation to state that matter-of-factly.

Quote:
maggette is a stronger, younger, more intelligent, more efficient, and more explosive version of stackhouse.
I agree that Maggette would be an awesome upgrade over Stack, but he wouldn't be replacing Stack in the starting line-up - he would be taking over Terry's role (which is that of the spot-up jump shooter who stretches defenses).

Quote:
in my opinion, we don't need a team full of jump shooters who can extend out to the 3 point line. if i recall correctly, san antonio has 1 player who has a reliable 3 pt shot in their starting lineup, and they still do pretty well.
Well, Bowen shoots 42.4% from beyond the arc. Manu shoots 38.2%, which certainly passes for reliable. And Finley (who plays as many minutes as Ginobili) shoots 39.4%. Then you look at their bench, and you have 3 players (Barry @ 40%, Van Exel @ 36%, and Horry at 37%) who hit it at a respectable clip.

That's 6 players who shoot over 35% from three-land.

Comparably, the Mavericks have Nowitzki (41%), Terry (41%), and Van Horn (37%). And Howard (43%) if you want to count him but I think the small number of shots he takes discounts him from the conversation. Van Horn's probably gone. Terry's gone in the trade for Maggette. That leaves only one player on the Mavericks' roster who shoots above 35% - Dirk. Howard may or may not improve. Maggette's a career 33% shooter. Cassell is also a marginal three-point shooter (33.5% career) but he may benefit as well from playing alongside Dirk, who knows.

It's not a matter of having a team full of jump-shooters, it's a matter of having any at all. If we don't have anyone to stretch the floor, defenses will collapse on Dirk or Josh or Harris - that means no open lanes, that means a clogged paint, that means Dirk will have a much harder time getting his jump shots at the elbows. Every good team needs jump shooters with range, and giving away Terry for Maggette just doesn't bring that to the table.

Last edited by orangedays; 05-22-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:24 AM   #17
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

we'll have to agree to disagree about the need for 3 point shooters. the mavs offense is predicated on getting to the rim and having shooters who are able to reliably make mid range jump shots. cassell is just as effective as terry in this regard and maggette is about a 500% upgrade over crackhouse.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #18
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
maggette is about a 500% upgrade over crackhouse.
I will say amen to that brotha!

Last edited by orangedays; 05-22-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #19
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
we'll have to agree to disagree about the need for 3 point shooters. the mavs offense is predicated on getting to the rim and having shooters who are able to reliably make mid range jump shots. cassell is just as effective as terry in this regard and maggette is about a 500% upgrade over crackhouse.
The problem with having a team of slashers w/o the 3 pts shooters, is that teams then cheat the defenders to the paint.

SA has the spot up 3 pt shooters because TD is going to be the offense in the paint.
Phoenix utilizes the 3 pt shooters because they utilize the drive and dish, and will have Amare back shortly to handle the "inside/out scoring".

Dallas has a descent offense of pick n roll, but to become dominant will need more 3 pt shooters to keep the "extra" defenders out of the paint against Dirk.

Of course, IMO.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
Old 05-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #20
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I say keep the team intact if we can. Killer is about as good a backup as we can afford at the 4 (if he re-signs for the midlevel or less) and Stack's still one of the best 6th men in the league. I say leave the team how it is because the more tinkering with it, the further we get from the best team Dallas has ever fielded IMO.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:32 AM   #21
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

I'd try to do the following

1. Keep JET at about 8M per year for 4 yrs.
2. Keep KVH at about 4M per year for 3 yrs - or, my alternative would be a run at Radmanovic for the MLE.
3. Keep DJ at about 2M per year for 3 yrs.
4. Keep Griffin at the minimum (about 1M per year) for 2 yrs
5. Exercise option on Marshall.
6. Armstrong likely retires.
6. Take "best player available" in the draft.

That's 15 players with a bottom line of right at 65M taxable. With Vlad instead of KVH, 66M. Very low tax.

Then I would try to package MDaniels and PPod for a different SG thats more suited to this offense. Would Desmond Mason perhaps be available with an offer like that? Maggette? Bonzi Wells? That 2-for-1 frees up one more roster spot, to use on a veteran backup PG for maybe 1-2M per year.

I dont want a pile of changes. This team is too good not to keep intact, with just a minor tweak here or there.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:17 AM   #22
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

*double post*

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-24-2006 at 03:24 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:23 AM   #23
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow

KVH is gone this season. Unless he gets seriously lowballed in free agency, I think we best start looking for a backup 4 now.

I sincerely hope we resign Jet. I think we lose quite a bit if we lose him.

Plan #3 is obviously the one the makes the most sense, lthough there's something that needs to be added to it:

Daniels is gone. Period, end of story.

I am probably about 95% sure that the Mavs are going to try to move Quisy this summer. The team just isn't big enough for both him and Stackhouse. I'd personally much rather keep Quisy and try to move stack, but Stack seems to be AJ's man.

If this is the case, then I just hope we move him for a swingman who can shoot the three. I agree with Orange that this is our biggest need. Not sure who's available. I'd love to have a Mobley-type player at 2, with Devin starting at the 1.

In any event, we already need another shooter, and this is only going to get worse if, or rather, when KVH leaves.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-24-2006 at 03:26 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:43 PM   #24
dalmations202
Diamond Member

I started this thread a month ago, but I still like Plan #2.

Is their any way Plan #2 could actually happen ? ?

Edit:

If not Cardinal, how about a SNT for Bobby Jackson with Battier?

Last edited by dalmations202; 06-21-2006 at 04:44 PM.