Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavErika View Post
there's also this little nugget:

So Jason Kidd has now the most games played under active players. The man with the most mileage. Mos' definitely. "Mr.Mileage"! - is it too late for a new nickname(I don't think so)?. Does that even make sense, "Mr.Mileage"? Any other suggestions?
He might have the most minutes but not the most mileage. He definitely reserves his energy. His size, strength, and his court vision allows him to still be effective in heavy minutes without wearing himself down.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
aurelino9

aurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
He might have the most minutes but not the most mileage. He definitely reserves his energy. His size, strength, and his court vision allows him to still be effective in heavy minutes without wearing himself down.
How does he reserve his energy? He's always going after loose balls, diving in the stands, defending bigger players in the post and rebounding. Does he have as much wear and tear as, say, Wade who crashes to the basket a lot? No but neither do any of the other players below Kidd in that list, with the exception of Bryant and Shaq, who have played more playoff minutes. The fact that he's effective doesn't mean that there's no mileage on the body. And remember, here's someone who had microfracture surgery done on his knee a few years ago.

Last edited by aurelino9; 03-13-2010 at 02:21 PM.
aurelino9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino9 View Post
How does he reserve his energy? He's always going after loose balls, diving in the stands, defending bigger players in the post and rebounding. Does he have as much wear and tear as, say, Wade who crashes to the basket a lot? No but neither do any of the other players below Kidd in that list, with the exception of Bryant and Shaq, who have played more playoff minutes. The fact that he's effective doesn't mean that there's no mileage on the body. And remember, here's someone who had microfracture surgery done on his knee a few years ago.
He rarely attacks the basket, he rarely puts a ton of energy on defense, and he he is the one throwing the passes while everyone is running up the court to get it for a shot. Oh and now he is good enough 3 point shooter now to be effective without having to slash. At the end of games, he does put a lot of energy into but he reserves it early on. Beaubois and Devin Harris are guys that don't reserve energy. 30 minutes for them is like 40 minutes for Kidd.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
aurelino9

aurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to all

Quote:
He rarely attacks the basket, he rarely puts a ton of energy on defense, and he he is the one throwing the passes while everyone is running up the court to get it for a shot. Oh and now he is good enough 3 point shooter now to be effective without having to slash. At the end of games, he does put a lot of energy into but he reserves it early on. Beaubois and Devin Harris are guys that don't reserve energy. 30 minutes for them is like 40 minutes for Kidd.
"Her rarely puts a ton of energy on defense"

That's not accurate. He can't guard quick pgs but it doesn't mean he doesn't put effort.
How many of those long passes does he throw per game? no more than two on average, I'd say. Generally he is running with the ball and making the pass past the timeline.

Also, we're talking about mileage over a 16 year career so doesn't make sense to bring a rookie into the discussion.

Last edited by aurelino9; 03-13-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
"Her rarely puts a ton of energy on defense"

That's not accurate. He can't guard quick pgs but it doesn't mean he doesn't put effort.
How many of those long passes does he throw per game? no more than two on average, I'd say. Generally he is running with the ball and making the pass past the timeline.

Also, we're talking about mileage over a 16 year career so doesn't make sense to bring a rookie into the discussion.
True and he will walk/jog the ball up the court when there is no fastbreak available. Some players are suited for quick bursts of energy and some prefer more minutes to get in the flow. I think Kidd is one of those players that play better with more minutes as he gets in a better flow. Kinda like Dirk. And Kidd makes up for his lack of pure speed with his positioning, size, awareness, and endurance. Yeah the super fast point guards give him problems. I think Carlisle should use Beaubois as a situational substitution against these type of players and let Kidd guard the 2 guard. And Iverson is probably the one with the most mileage.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Since he's really never had a decent backup, coaches have had to rely on him for 40 a night. The guy manages his tank, he will sprint if needed, but he knows crunch time is the 4th, so maybe a loose ball in the 1st quarter, he won't sprint and dive after it, but in the 4th he will. I remember reading somewhere that after games his rookie year, he showered sitting on a stool, he was that exhausted. As time passed, he managed his minutes a lot better, knowing full well how many minutes he will get.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
aurelino9

Quote:
Did Kidd Sit Out End Of Mavs Win With An Injury?
Barea Handles The Helm In 113-106 Win As Two Different Tales Emerge
By Mike Fisher -- DB.com

Did Jason Kidd sit out the fourth quarter of the Mavs’ 113-106 win Wednesday over the Bulls because he’s got a good heart? Or because he’s got a bad knee?
Kidd registered just 24 minutes in the Dallas victory, and on the surface, that seems like a positive. As he approaches his 37th birthday – and the NBA Playoffs – he’ll need all the fuel he can store up.
That was certainly part of the logic as Kidd sat out the entire second quarter; the Mavs, now 46-22, were in the process of building up a 25-point lead over shorthanded Chicago.
But was it also part of the logic when he sat out the entire fourth quarter … even as the ballsy Bulls closed to within seven points with just minutes remaining?
Is/was Kidd hurt ... or not?
Two different tales emerged from the Dallas locker room:
Story No. 1: “He’s had some soreness (in his knee) the last couple of days,’’ Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said of Kidd. “So about a minute or two into the fourth … he was done. We were going to have to do it without him.’’
I scribbled in my notes at the time that it almost appeared like a “good-and-stubborn’’ move by Carlisle, a sort of umbilical-cord cutting for the non-Kidds who ought to be able to close this one out without their captain.
Now, we know better.
Or do we?
Story No. 2: While Carlisle was mentioning Kidd’s knee … Kidd was insisting to the media that he wasn’t really injured at all and that he simply was sitting in order to let others play.
"We had the game under control,'' Kidd said, "so I made the decision to let the other guys play."
Really? Jason’s generosity extended to an actual NBA game in which Dallas entered the fourth leading by 16 but had to hang on to win by seven?
I mean, that's sweet and all, but ...
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle … part believing that his knee needed ice and part believing his team didn't need him. ... and it’s a good thing that Dallas survived with help from both Roddy Beaubois and J.J. Barea.
“It was going to be JJ or Roddy,’’ Carlisle said …
Well, 11 days ago, Roddy B scored a career-high 24 points in Chicago …
“And JJ’s been there before.’’
Oh.
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=2743

Kidd has looked less than himself in the last two games and I don't know when it happened but I remember him crashing into the stands for a loose ball and banging his knee with one of the fans not too long ago. He has a history of not telling the media about any bumps and bruises.

Last edited by aurelino9; 03-18-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:

Kidd has looked less than himself in the last two games and I don't know when it happened but I remember him crashing into the stands for a loose ball and banging his knee with one of the fans not too long ago. He has a history of not telling the media about any bumps and bruises.
Maybe but I think the 44.5 minute game took a lot out of him. No reason for Kidd to be playing those type of minutes in the regular season at his age.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:

That incident was also one of the first things that came to my mind when I heard Followill and Elfenbein wondering what to make of these postame comments about Kidd, and btw, I also don't know which game it was.
He had three days rest before the Chicago game, let's hope the fouth-quarter resting and the two more days between the games are enough to appease his knees.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
aurelino9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavErika View Post
That incident was also one of the first things that came to my mind when I heard Followill and Elfenbein wondering what to make of these postame comments about Kidd, and btw, I also don't know which game it was.
He had three days rest before the Chicago game, let's hope the fouth-quarter resting and the two more days between the games are enough to appease his knees.
I remember now, it was the Nets game. First Kidd went into the crowd then Harris did the same soon after. So that was on March 10 and they've only played two more games since then, both of which have been subpar, as far as Kidd's performance is concerned. Maybe that's another reason why he was excused from a couple of practices. I have followed his career for quite some time and him asking to ice his kness in the 4th quarter isn't something that happens very often.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I actually think this is a very salient point. Nice.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celebrationwin, minimum standards?, minimum you, murphsuxcox... harrycox