Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-22-2003, 01:51 PM   #1
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default Here is a hint SMU.....

Oklahoma State is throwing to R. Woods. Ha ha. I know there was some fun debate last week over Baylor and SMU, but I am surprised no one said anything about R. Woods catching 7 touchdown passes against SMU this weekend. I guess OK. St. saw something they liked. SMU did hold D'juan Woods to only 1 catch and 2o yards. Maybe they were double teaming the wrong Woods?
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2003, 01:56 PM   #2
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Here is a hint SMU.....

man, does sportsmanship just not exist in college football? is the margin of victory still a big deal (i'm not sure if it's in the BCS calculation or not)

hey, we're up by 30, let's keep throwing!
Old 09-22-2003, 02:23 PM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I was at that miserable excuse for a football game. It was not much fun. It was a matter of SMU commiting to stop the run adn helping our young, small defensive linemen. It was also a matter of getting a pass interference call every time Woods was breathed on. Regardless, SMU played like crap.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 02:30 PM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Margin of victory does not count past a certain point. I can't remember what that is, but a 45 point victory is not better than a 30 point victory in BCS standings. OK State is not going to the title game anyway.

Is this as good as it gets for SMU? If not, what needs to be done to revive the program? We had a good recruiting class last year, so mabye it's just a matter of time.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:54 PM   #5
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, i know they're not going anywhere... i was just trying to see why there is any reason for running up the score like that.

and dooby, about 4 of those TDs could have been called for offensive pass interference. he pushed off almost every time.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:59 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no vested interest, so take this as you will, but I thought SMU defensive backs got screwed on some calls that I saw. Also, I thought Woods pushed off several times and nothing was called. I would have loved for SMU to have beaten okla state though.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 10:46 PM   #7
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road

I am an OSU grad and was at the game. SMU's defense was set up to stop the run. OSU's running back Tatum Bell was 5th in the nation in yards and 4th in scoring before the game. Bennet was quoted as saying before the game that they must stop the run. They had 9 in the box the whole game and single covered RW until he went to the bench with 7:00 mins left in the 3rd.

A few points in OSU defense:
1. Our offense simply took what it was given. They set up to stop the run. We beat them with the pass.
2. RW had his 6th TD at the beginning of the second half. The coaches were aware at that time of the record and like ANY coach in the world, let his guy go for the record. He did not play deep into the game to run up the score.
3. DFW is a huge recruiting area for OSU. As much as everyone must hate it, this kind of record is HUGE for a school like OSU. We actually got on ESPN along with OU's Perkins. This is huge for recruiting and you may hate it, but it is the way college football works.
4. As far as the interference thing goes, RW draws more interference penalties than any reciever I've seen play. Last year against some of the most lauded corners in the country, RW did this time and time again.
5. Our passing game has been very bad this year as the QB plays baseball in the offseason (he is a definate pro prospect) and through the first 3 games he had thrown 5 ints to go with only 4? TDs. This guy had 31 TDS and only 8? ints all of last year. We really needed to work on the timing in the passing game. And we did schedule this game with SMU to work on things before the grind of the Big 12 and for recruits to see us live in Dallas. Once again, don't hate the team for doing what is neccesary in the cut-throat business of college football.
6. OSU usually plays the role of the little dog in our conference. Believe me, all of our fans understand and sympathize with what the SMU program is going through right now. We didn't get the death penalty, but did get one of the worst penalties handed down to us by the NCAA for recruiting violations in the 80's. We know that SMU has had an unbeivable tradition and I have respect for thier fans and program and wish only the best for them.

LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:10 AM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Ya know what? Nobody ever received a punishment 1/10 as bad as SMU. So no one should try and compare their woes to SMU. On top of that, our self-imposed limitations made it impossible to compete (thank the lord, most of those were eliminated last year). I don't care how bad your sanctions were, you were allowed to play football; the NCAA didn't allow other colleges to come onto your campus to recruit your players; your team wasn't so devestated after the one year of penalties that it cancelled the next year because it honestly didn't have enough players to play.

When you are up 35 points and you have your starters in and you are throwing deep, that makes you a jackass. Period. End of story. SMU in 1989, got clobbered by Houston; Houston threw a 75 yard touchdown pass with 3 minutes to go in the game. In 1993, SMU beat the crap out of Houston; we were up 25 points at the end of the first half. We didn't throw the ball once in the 4th quarter.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 09-23-2003, 09:40 AM   #9
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Ya know what? Nobody ever received a punishment 1/10 as bad as SMU. So no one should try and compare their woes to SMU. On top of that, our self-imposed limitations made it impossible to compete (thank the lord, most of those were eliminated last year). I don't care how bad your sanctions were, you were allowed to play football; the NCAA didn't allow other colleges to come onto your campus to recruit your players; your team wasn't so devestated after the one year of penalties that it cancelled the next year because it honestly didn't have enough players to play.

When you are up 35 points and you have your starters in and you are throwing deep, that makes you a jackass. Period. End of story. SMU in 1989, got clobbered by Houston; Houston threw a 75 yard touchdown pass with 3 minutes to go in the game. In 1993, SMU beat the crap out of Houston; we were up 25 points at the end of the first half. We didn't throw the ball once in the 4th quarter.
What is your problem Dooby? This is college football and that's the way it works. If it had been OU or Texas that OSU ran the score up on I imagine no one would have a problem. I agree that OSU has not had it as bad as SMU, hell no one has. That was a stupid point by him.

Also in the BCS equation the margin of victory doesn't matter. But the BCS is based partially on the coaches and Media polls therefore there is a factor of dominating being to your advantage.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:29 AM   #10
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fah Q

What is your problem Dooby? This is college football and that's the way it works. If it had been OU or Texas that OSU ran the score up on I imagine no one would have a problem. I agree that OSU has not had it as bad as SMU, hell no one has. That was a stupid point by him.

Also in the BCS equation the margin of victory doesn't matter. But the BCS is based partially on the coaches and Media polls therefore there is a factor of dominating being to your advantage.
On the one hand I agree. Notice I haven't said a word about Texas Tech's drilling of SMU 3 weeks ago. But running up the score is actually not a part of college football. I don't know where that got started. I guess it was Butch Davis saying how sorry he was that he had to beat a team's brains in to get to the national championship.

If you can beat a team by 35 good, do it. But if you ARE beating a team by 35, and you are still throwing the ball, I still contend that makes you a jackass. Or, if you'd prefer, it is bad sportsmanship. Period.

Old 09-23-2003, 01:28 PM   #11
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road

I was in no way trying to say that OSU has been hurt anywhere near what SMU has by NCAA sactions. That would be stupid. OSU has nowhere near the tradition in football that SMU has. We sucked before our violations and after. SMU had such a long way to fall. I was just trying to say that our fans can somewhat sympathize. That's all. However, this is still a cutthroat, nasty business. That's the way it has been set up to be. Hell, the sport of football is a nasty sport. You have to hit, claw, and hate your enemy to be any good. Of course it is ignoble to have your starters in the game in the fourth. But OSU did not. As soon as RW got the record, the second team came in. 7 minutes into the third. Hell, there was 1.5 quarters left in the game. I'm sorry if you hate it and I'm sorry it came at the expense of your team, but my team too has had it's azz handed to them too. It's not like OSU is a big powerhouse or anything and we have to play in a league full of them.
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote