Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-22-2003, 04:47 PM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Culpepper doubtful with injury, but plans to play has three broken bones in back

Culpepper doubtful with injury, but plans to play
Posted: Monday September 22, 2003 2:51PM; Updated: Monday September 22, 2003 2:51PM

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Daunte Culpepper will be listed as doubtful for this weekend with three cracked bones in his back, but the Minnesota Vikings' star quarterback still expects to play.

"I'm all right, man," he said. "It's just a little sore."

The official diagnosis is multiple transverse process fractures, coach Mike Tice said.

"It's a very painful injury, but it's certainly one you can play with," Tice said.

Culpepper was hurt late in the second quarter on Sunday at Detroit. He was hit by linebacker Wali Rainer in the end zone after his second rushing touchdown of the game.

The Vikings (3-0) host San Francisco this Sunday.

Gus Frerotte, a veteran of five teams and 10 seasons who signed with Minnesota this year, passed for 184 yards and a touchdown in relief Sunday.

"We'll see how he comes out of it," Frerotte said. "Either way, I'll be ready to go."

Culpepper, who became a starter in 2000, missed the final five games of 2001 with a sprained knee.

This year, his 108.0 passer rating leads the NFL. He has completed 60.9 percent of his passes for 514 yards for five touchdowns and no interceptions -- after leading the league with 23 last season.

Listed at 6-foot-4 and 264 pounds, Culpepper is durable and considers himself a fast healer. He won't practice this week until Friday at the earliest.

"I'll be here pretty much 24 hours a day, getting treatment," Culpepper said as he left the team's Winter Park facility.

Minnesota's other superstar, wide receiver Randy Moss, is having trouble with back spasms. Moss aggravated an injury in the first week against Green Bay, and he played through pain Sunday -- managing 85 yards on three receptions.

Moss won't practice, either, until Friday -- if at all this week.

"Oh, he'll play," Tice said. "Are you kidding me? I'm not going to be without two of my best players. I might already be without one of them."

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2003, 05:25 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Culpepper doubtful with injury, but plans to play has three broken bones in back

the guy's tough as nails..
when i think of tough NFL QB's, i think of him, McNabb, McNair, Favre, and Aikman in 89. of course, i'm speaking of recent QB's..don't want to forget dandy don...

and of course, there's a specific QB or two that showed tremendous guts in college but have yet to receiver their shot in the NFL
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:31 PM   #3
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: Culpepper doubtful with injury, but plans to play has three broken bones in back

Murph? no Quincy? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

i don't think McNabb has reached that level yet
IMO he's just as inconsistant as Quincy.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:32 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm talking about tough QB's..not great QB's..
but, to put McNabb in a class with Quincy isn't accurate

Quincy has looked pretty good this year and McNabb has looked pretty bad..BUT, that doesn't change or completely override what McNabb has done in the past.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:33 PM   #5
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

That guy is crazy, I hope a hard hit doesn't hurt him for a long while. Good luck to him
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:39 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

hell, there's so many bones you don't really need. he probably broke a couple of those
bones are overrated
Old 09-22-2003, 06:57 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Why? Why risk further injury to your back? Your 3-0.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:19 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I really enjoy watching him play, but if he has broken bones, damn....you HAVE to sit him and let him heal.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:12 AM   #9
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Culpepper doubtful with injury, but plans to play has three broken bones in back

ha ha... "bones are overrated" man, we could do such cool stuff if we didn't have bones... like ooze through grates to pick up lost change and stuff like that...
Old 09-23-2003, 09:39 PM   #10
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I think Jeff garcia is the toughest current QB.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:46 PM   #11
ItalianMobbstah187

ItalianMobbstah187 is on a distinguished road

I love watching Daunte, I hope he'll be ok.
ItalianMobbstah187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 01:56 PM   #12
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

I like Daunte too, but I think when you have a pro bowl type QB it's a hugh risk. If I was Daunte I would sit out this weekend, and continue physical therapy. The Vikings are 3-0 currently, and can afford to lose a game, but they can't afford to lose Daunte to a big hit and be out the rest of the season.
Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote