Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-25-2003, 10:20 PM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Let the shake up begin for Daboys startelegram.

Cowboys Notes
Cowboys talking trades, but not for a QB
By Jennifer Floyd Engel
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

GETTY IMAGES/EZRA SHAW
Cowboys running back Troy Hambrick has carried the ball 37 times for 113 yards in two games but has not scored a touchdown.

IRVING - Cowboys coach Bill Parcells was not blowing smoke with his "I wouldn't be surprised if something happened" in regard to change on the roster.

Owner Jerry Jones confirmed Wednesday that the Cowboys are discussing two possible trades.

Just don't expect a Hershel Walker-like blockbuster.

"No," Jones said with a chuckle when asked if a trade for Kurt Warner or another such big name lurked on the horizon. "No veteran quarterback around here. The veteran quarterback is not on the scene."

Trades are about as frequent in the NFL as traveling calls in the NBA.

Almost never.

The only way deals are done is with players at the bottom part of the roster, not the high draft picks or stars who bring with them bonuses and salary cap issues. But the Cowboys are talking about trading players who are part of the 45, a deal that would only be interesting if the Cowboys could get something usable in return.

Meadowland dreams

Bill Parcells had an inkling he might see the Giants again. He knew for sure about the Patriots.

But returning to Giants Stadium to play the Jets is something Parcells never, not even in his wildest dreams, thought would happen. When he retired from the Jets after the 1999 season he thought he was done coaching forever.

"I thought it right up until very, very late in the fall, very late," Parcells said. "I already had my ticket to go to the Super Bowl and do my broadcasting stuff. So I was planning on going."

Unlike his return trip to the Giants in Week 2, Parcells actually coached some Jets players.

They love him. He loves them. So much so that Jets coach Herman Edwards addressed it.

"I said, 'A lot of you guys are here because coach Parcells brought you here and did a good job of bringing you here, drafting some of you guys. You know his mentality as a football coach.' I left it at that," Edwards said.

Gag order?

The league has sent out a memo "suggesting" owners and general managers watch their tongues with regard to Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett and his legal wranglings to be included in the 2004 NFL Draft.

The NFL doesn't want anything their owners and general managers say to be used against it in a court of law as Clarett challenges the rule that prohibits players from being included in the draft until they are three years removed from high school.

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue doesn't have to worry about Jerry Jones. Clarett's attorneys are not going to like what Jones had to say..

"I don't think it is good for him, and I don't think it is good for the league," Jones said. "The younger the players come into the league, the more iffy it becomes because of mental maturity as well as physical maturity."

Running problem

The Cowboys' red zone woes have been placed at the feet of running back Troy Hambrick.

A team has to be able to run to score inside the 20-yard line, and Hambrick is the Cowboys' featured back. He knows it.

"Trusting in my linemen, trying to follow them up in the hole and take what they see instead of trying to do what I see. That is one thing I am learning," Hambrick said. "On film, it shows. I got to give it a shot."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jennifer Floyd Engel, (817) 390-7760 jenfloyd@star-telegram.com
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2003, 10:45 PM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Didn't Troy score a 1 yard touchdown in the Falcons game?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 10:47 PM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Give Hambrick some time to see what his offensive lineman can give him. If I were him i'd just run behind Larry Allen every down.

1996-2005
Old 09-25-2003, 10:54 PM   #4
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

rumors are that big bill is trying to find a way to get curtis martin or tj duckett.

any of them would be a vast improvement over hambone.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 11:05 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
rumors are that big bill is trying to find a way to get curtis martin or tj duckett.

any of them would be a vast improvement over hambone.

Is Curtis Martin not a free agent next season? Thats the same exact question I have with trying to trade for Mark Brunell. Why would you trade for a player who is not only 30 but you can pick him up at free agency next offseason? I don't like what i've seen from Curtis so far. Hambrick has played alot better than him.

1996-2005
Old 09-25-2003, 11:07 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd give Hambrick for Martin in a heartbeat.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 12:16 AM   #7
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Martin is getting too old. Duckett, however is intriguing. He is a big Parcells-type back. I would like to see if we could get him.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 01:16 AM   #8
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve
Default RE: Let the shake up begin for Daboys startelegram.

Duckett is very intriguing, Quincy may really breakout if you get a solid running game around him.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:42 AM   #9
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Just came out today that both SF and GB are interested in Reggie Swinton and are trying to work out a trade with the Cowboys.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 09:44 AM   #10
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Curtis Martin would be excellent, Martin and Parcells are very close I've heard.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 10:25 AM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: QCarFan
Duckett is very intriguing, Quincy may really breakout if you get a solid running game around him.
*Yawn*[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 12:39 PM   #12
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

I'd love Duckett or Martin on the Cowboys, but i don't think the Jets would settle for just Hambrick, i'm sure they'd want a high draft pick in return. The most probable i would think is Duckett, since he's not even starting rotation much for the Falcons at the moment and Griffith is starting to take over as their 2nd RB next to Warrick Dunn. I dont think the Cowboys would have to trade as much for Duckett, coming out of college he was compared to a quicker Jerome Bettis, who knows if that can still be accomplished, but i'd love to see him try that in a Cowboys uniform.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:36 PM   #13
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

THIS IS JUST A RUMOR

but from what i hear the Jets want Galloway and a 3rd round pick for Curtis Martin, and if Martin is traded, Lamont Jordan would step in as Running Back. any thoughts?
Old 09-26-2003, 03:45 PM   #14
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

Bill Parcell's wouldn't trade Galloway for Curtis Martin because of what Dallas did with the Seahawks just to get him. I've been impressed with Aevion Cason if he could size up some. I have never been a fan of Curtis Martin, but I agree that Martin and Hambrick would be a good combination for the Cowboy's. I think Dallas needs to focus on finding a new replacement for Larry Allen because age and conditioning are starting to take a toll on the
Quote:
best offensive lineman to ever play the postion
(quote from John Madden).

Probably will have to come from the draft because no team will give a Larry Allen type offensive lineman up in a trade because they are like big man in the NBA - "like gold".
Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 04:43 PM   #15
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Maybe I was still asleep in the shower this morning but I thought I heard the Ticket say one of the rumors was Reggie Swinton to the Packers for a pick. Not a sexy move, but a logical one for the 'boys.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 06:41 PM   #16
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: Let the shake up begin for Daboys startelegram.

i tend to agree with you Dooby. It'll probably be a bottom of the roster move for a pick, or DT