Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 01-24-2007, 11:10 PM   #121
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

This is getting weirder:

So now Jerry's so impressed with Garret that he's definitely going to be the OC, and he might even be the headcoach???

I made fun of the Raiders today for hiring a 31 year old coach who's never coached in the NFL and never been a head coach.

I'm not sure hiring someone with two years experience as a coach, both years as a QB's coach, is a whole lot better.....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2007, 11:18 PM   #122
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

This is very odd. I can't imagine Garrett being the head coach unless Jerry himself has devised some way to be the head coach incognito. I can see Garrett as the OC but even that is a stretch.

odd indeed.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:57 AM   #123
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

i just hope garrett isn't setting himself up to be some kind of puppet coach. i mean, maybe his youth will be a good thing. look at Sean Peyton's record before coaching NOLA.

i honestly don't think Jerry will appoint him the head coach.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:22 PM   #124
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Garrett is hired as O-coordinator.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #125
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

can't believe there isn't a thread just for the Coach hiring....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #126
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

How do you hire a offensive coordinator before you hire a head coach? Am I missing something? Isn't it common for a coach to bring in his own offensive coordinator?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #127
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
How do you hire a offensive coordinator before you hire a head coach? Am I missing something? Isn't it common for a coach to bring in his own offensive coordinator?
This is what Jerry does. This is why you had to be a little worried about getting rid of Parcells.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 01-25-2007, 03:35 PM   #128
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
I don't think it's a big deal. Seems like a few other teams wanted Garrett as well...so, you have to figure that he'd be one of the leading candidates anyway.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #129
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

So let me get this straight. Jason Garret is hired as the offensive coordinator of the Cowboys but still has a chance to be head coach next season if a better candidate doesn't present himself. Only Jerry can do things like this..
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:24 PM   #130
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW the Dolphins hired Dom Capers before they hired Cam Cameron.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:29 PM   #131
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me think that maybe they've almost got the head coach job figured out already and that an announcement will be made in the next few days.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #132
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
This is what Jerry does. This is why you had to be a little worried about getting rid of Parcells.

Yea this is why I wanted a proven coach in here. I doubt we see one now. We're going back to the Chan Gailey and Dave Campo days now. Not sure if the result will be as bad as those years but this is what Jerry use to do before Parcells came.

Quote:
I don't think it's a big deal. Seems like a few other teams wanted Garrett as well...so, you have to figure that he'd be one of the leading candidates anyway.
Ahh I disagree. I think its best suited for a coach to bring in his own assistants due to him being accustom to them and they all share the same schemes. You bring in a coach in here who's accustom to a 3-4 but your defensive coordinator can only play a 4-3 I think that's going to be a cause for concern.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #133
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Well, they haven't addressed the defensive coordinator yet, now have they?

As far as the offense goes, you would be looking at a new coach hiring a guy like Garrett anyway. Who would Norv Turner install as OC? Who would Phillips install? Remember that you can't steal a coordinator away from another team to be your coordinator. So you'd be looking at somebody like a QB's coach, which is exactly what Garrett is.

I guess for me to think this would be a big deal, you'd have to give me an example of a specific person that a specific coach would want to bring with him as OC.

Remember that when Parcells came here, he had no problem keeping Zimmer as a coordinator. I don't think it's as uncommon (or as bad) as you seem to believe, particularly for a playoff team that is not in a housecleaning mode.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:04 AM   #134
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Parcells was on with Mike and the Mad Dog for about 30 minutes today. Anyone interested in hearing his final thoughts on his time in Dallas can find it here: http://www.wfan.com/topic/play_windo...audioId=250188
Old 01-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #135
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. I've heard more then enough out of the guy the past few years.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:58 AM   #136
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Parcells was on with Mike and the Mad Dog for about 30 minutes today. Anyone interested in hearing his final thoughts on his time in Dallas can find it here: http://www.wfan.com/topic/play_windo...audioId=250188
reason number 234 I don't care at all for Parcells....

4 years in Dallas and he never has the time of day for local fans and media, but a couple days off the job and he's all over the air back in NYC....

i'm really quite happy to see Fat Bill haul his fat ass back to NY, regardless of who or what JJ may hire as the next HC.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:40 PM   #137
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Getting rid of Lacwell was one of Parcells' accomplishments IMO.
Did you happen to hear Calvin Watkins on with Norm today? He said that Lacewell is set to become far more involved again now that Parcells is gone. He said that Lacewell pushed for Gary Gibbs to be interviewed.

I was very, very disappointed to hear this.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 01-29-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #138
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I did hear that and I can't tell you how disappointed I am. Larry Lacewell presided over some of the worse drafts in Cowboy history and he now has Jerry's ear again.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #139
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Classic Bump.

Classic Bump.

Some good reading in here. Especially the part about Singletary.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote