Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

View Poll Results: What is your preference?
CJ walks, Feliz to rotation, Fielder signed, Yu signed, Ogando closes, $$$$$ 2 22.22%
CJ walks, Ogando to Rotation, Fielder signed, Yu signed, Feliz closes, $$$$$ 0 0%
CJ walks, Feliz to rotation, Feldman/X to rotation, Fielder signed, Ogando closes, $$$ 0 0%
Resign CJ, sign Yu, keep Moreland, Ogando setup man, Feliz closes, $$$$ 1 11.11%
Resign CJ, Feliz to rotation, Fielder signed, Ogando closes $$$$ 1 11.11%
Resign CJ, Ogando to rotation, Fielder signed, Feliz closes $$$$ 0 0%
Safe mode (resign CJ, Ogando/Feliz to rotation, keep Moreland, Ogando/Feliz closes, status quo) $$ 0 0%
Yankee mode (resign CJ, Yu signed, Fielder signed and going for it all in 2012) $$$$$$$ 0 0%
Complete whiff (CJ walks, no Fielder, no Yu and all internal upgrades) 1 11.11%
OTHER (provide description below) 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Question Official 2011-2012 Texas Rangers' Offseason Thread

What do we do with CF? What do we do with 1B? What do we do with Feliz? What do we do with Ogando? What do we do with CJ? Yu? Trade Murphy/Torrealba/Moreland? Big splash signing? Are we willing to increase payroll to 130M? More? Less?

A lot of questions following a 2nd straight appearance (sadly, and loss) in the World Series. Have to keep this machine running for as long as posslbe so a big splash signing now might make it harder to do that come next year when some key guys have to be resigned. Of course not doing that could let another team leap frog us. Decisions, decisions!

So, I have attached a public poll regarding the key possibilities (as I see them - you might disagree completely) this offseason and I am curious as to what each person would prefer. I included an OTHER option so if you elect to choose that all I ask is that you provide your scenario below.

No matter what, it is nice to know that we have a great group leading this team. Daniels, Ryan and majority owners that have shown they are willing to spend to keep this unit strong will hopefully ensure that the engine never completely stalls. We can't and won't make the WS every year, but it is nice to know that we will be in the thick of it year in and year out.

GO RANGERS!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously some of these options are highly, highly unlikely. In fact, if I believe a few posts I have read recently, only a few are likely. This isn't about that. Given the current payroll, how high you think we may eventually get, and what we might lose depending on our spend in 2012 - which road would you PREFER we take?

Me? Option 1. No question.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Just wondering -why do none of your options consider Adams to close? One of the reasons we got him was so he could close next year if Feliz was moved to the rotation.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
Just wondering -why do none of your options consider Adams to close? One of the reasons we got him was so he could close next year if Feliz was moved to the rotation.

Because "I" believe Ogando is a much better option. If you don't, pick Other.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Obviously I didn't have poll room to include all FA potential (bullpen signings, CF, backup utility players, etc), but here is a link that goes into a great deal of detail.

Their suggestion of Ogando and Feliz potentially starting would certainly open the door for Adams to close, but man, you would need to restock power bullpen arms. Do we have anyone in the minors that would be ready to contribute in 2012 that we could add to Lowe as far as guys that can bring the heat? That isn't required to have an effective bullpen, but it was a nice change over the past couple of years to have several guys to roll out there with serious heat. This removes 2 of the best in the business - options for replacement?

I still REALLY want Fielder, but I know it is very unlikely.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 11-03-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Adams is the closer in waiting for this team. At one point before the post season, Newberg put forth the opinion that Adams would be closer next season regardless of what happens with Feliz. Not sure I buy that, but just shows how much regard Jamey thinks the org holds Adams in.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to really say what you would "prefer" because baseball doesn't have a salary cap, and if Bob Simpson et. all want to foot the bill, I'll absolutely take Fielder, Darvish, CJ and whatever else they want to do.

Within the realm of possibility, I prefer CJ over Darvish (for now, depends on the finances of both), I prefer to not sink money into Fielder while the roles of Young and Napoli are somewhat undefined, and I prefer to try like hell to make Feliz and Ogando to work in the rotation.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 11-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Who Yu? Who Darvish? I am just a casual fan!

And who is on the farm that might be ready to play in the bigs next year?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
It's hard to really say what you would "prefer" because baseball doesn't have a salary cap, and if Bob Simpson et. all want to foot the bill, I'll absolutely take Fielder, Darvish, CJ and whatever else they want to do.

Within the realm of possibility, I prefer CJ over Darvish (for now, depends on the finances of both), I prefer to not sink money into Fielder while the roles of Young and Napoli are somewhat undefined, and I prefer to try like hell to make Feliz and Ogando to work in the rotation.
Wow - even after the last two postseasons? Not me. I mean, sure, we don't get to either post season without him (or do we, we thought we might not without Lee and our youth has really stepped up) but for the money he will command I would rather put that and some toward a young pitcher showing true, legitimate, Ace numbers, albeit against inferior competition (Colby moved nicely with numbers increasing, sure, but Yu's numbers are WAY better than Colby's were). Understand it and definitely the safer (and cheaper) decision, but give me Darvish. If we end up signing CJ back, I won't cry about it as I thought I would after the Series ended, but it better not be for crazy money.

Yeah, I thought about the Young/Napoli thing, but I say Napoli plays a lot at C next year with Young splitting time between DH and, yes - another position - OF, along with his backup time for guys that take full or half days off. When Young isn't at DH, Napoli is. Fielder would improve the team dramatically by adding his bat in this lineup. Dramatically. Imagine that man hitting in our ballpark.

If Feliz AND Ogando are to be in the rotation, well... I guess that means you aren't signing Darvish or CJ (or are you knocking one of Lewis/Holland/Harrison out of the rotation), right? If not, and you don't want Fielder, are we just looking for bullpen arms to shore up all of the departures?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Who Yu? Who Darvish? I am just a casual fan!

And who is on the farm that might be ready to play in the bigs next year?
Here.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male30Dan View Post
Wow - even after the last two postseasons? Not me. I mean, sure, we don't get to either post season without him (or do we, we thought we might not without Lee and our youth has really stepped up) but for the money he will command I would rather put that and some toward a young pitcher showing true, legitimate, Ace numbers, albeit against inferior competition (Colby moved nicely with numbers increasing, sure, but Yu's numbers are WAY better than Colby's were). Understand it and definitely the safer (and cheaper) decision, but give me Darvish. If we end up signing CJ back, I won't cry about it as I thought I would after the Series ended, but it better not be for crazy money.

Yeah, I thought about the Young/Napoli thing, but I say Napoli plays a lot at C next year with Young splitting time between DH and, yes - another position - OF, along with his backup time for guys that take full or half days off. When Young isn't at DH, Napoli is. Fielder would improve the team dramatically by adding his bat in this lineup. Dramatically. Imagine that man hitting in our ballpark.

If Feliz AND Ogando are to be in the rotation, well... I guess that means you aren't signing Darvish or CJ (or are you knocking one of Lewis/Holland/Harrison out of the rotation), right? If not, and you don't want Fielder, are we just looking for bullpen arms to shore up all of the departures?
I'm just not sure that it's reasonable to expect a very young Japanese pitcher to come over and immediately front a rotation that's going to contend. Even if he works out, it will almost certainly take time. And I'd prefer not to trade time, not with the clock running on so many players.

I'm not real dug in on it, and it would certainly be exciting to get a prospect like him, but I'm not sure it's the best course of action.

If the club thinks Ogando and Feliz can both be rotation pitchers, then I think you trade one of Holland/Harrison (probably not even a decision, you trade Harrison) to improve the club, and you plug them into the staff with Feldman as the swing man in the bullpen.

If you go acquire a starter of any kind, then I put Feliz in the rotation, I put Ogando back in the pen, but not as the closer. I want Adams closing.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 11-03-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm just not sure that it's reasonable to expect a very young Japanese pitcher to come over and immediately front a rotation that's going to contend. Even if he works out, it will almost certainly take time. And I'd prefer not to trade time, not with the clock running on so many players.

I'm not real dug in on it, and it would certainly be exciting to get a prospect like him, but I'm not sure it's the best course of action.

If the club thinks Ogando and Feliz can both be rotation pitchers, then I think you trade one of Holland/Harrison (probably not even a decision, you trade Harrison) to improve the club, and you plug them into the staff with Feldman as the swing man in the bullpen.

If you go acquire a starter of any kind, then I put Feliz in the rotation, I put Ogando back in the pen, but not as the closer. I want Adams closing.
Well, I think that at the end of the day talent will typically overcome discomfort due to strange surroundings, unfamiliarity, etc. He is very, very good as I am sure you are quite aware of. A true stud of a pitcher and at a VERY young age. Sure, he will cost a lot of money and will have to overcome his lack of knowledge of MLB hitters (i.e., he is likely getting away with things there that will be hit out of the park here), but MLB hitters will have to overcome their lack of knowledge of him too - not to mention his stuff. For that matter, I expect Feliz to struggle some next year getting up to speed with facing guys 2-4 times per game if he is given a rotation spot. Part of it - he is worth those struggles and we will be much better off for letting him learn. Same with Darvish. Stuff is just way, way too good.

Yeah, if it comes down to Harrison or Holland, you absolutely 100% trade Harrison, and I don't care that his numbers were technically better. Fact is, when Holland fully matures and figures out just how good he is and how to duplicate outings and become consistent - watch out. He has Ace stuff himself. Of course, I still am not sure who your 5th guy is in that scenario. Are you saying this is your preference: Don't sign Fielder, resign CJ, move Feliz and Ogando to rotation, have Adams close?

If so, fair enough... But you better damn well hope Mitch's wrist is why he sucked so very hard last year. Talk about black hole. Sombitch can't even play good defense to cover his horrible, horrible offense. If your stance is Napoli/Young play 1B against every single LH pitcher with Moreland getting all RH pitcher starts (with literally ZERO ABs against LHP), well that's somewhat better, but still the guy is average at the very best. A -.2 WAR and -.5 dWAR starting 1B (hell, starting ANYTHING) is horrible for a World Series contending team.

As far as Adams closing, why are you so high on that idea? Because Newberg said it (don't mean to be rude there - truly just wondering)? You have no proof that he can do it at this point anymore than we have proof that Ogando can do it so there is no added security there. He doesn't have nearly as good of a fastball as Ogando and while pitching isn't just about a power fastball, you typically prefer your closer to have a great one. He gave up more HRs while pitching for us, which is the absolute last thing you want your closer to do. He does issue fewer walks, which might be the biggest positive in the transition from Feliz.

Don't get me wrong, I imagine he will be very good in the role. That said, I would rather have a guy like Darvish starting who I know won't have stamina issues (like Ogando obviously did down the stretch and again in the WS) and have Ogando pitching much more effectively in limited innings as the team's shut down closer. Now, if we were NOT going to sign CJ or bring in Darvish, yes, that is different. A starter is significantly more important than closer/bullpen pieces so if you have a hole that Ogando could fill, you absolutely put him there with Adams closing. My point though is that I don't anticipate that happening. Either we keep CJ, get Darvish or make a trade for a TORP and that person will join Feliz, Holland, Harrison and Lewis barring a trade. Feldman said today he wanted to start in 2012 so you have that issue brewing as well.

Good problem to have. Man is it ever. Not too far back that ol Ryan Drese was our opening day starter with hopes of .500 as a best case scenario. Hell, has been worse than that too. We are blessed and will be for another 5 years or so at a minimum.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I'd love to let CJ walk, sign Darvish, Feliz to rotation, bring in a couple of minor leaguers
- I'd love to see Martin Perez brought up, but he's only 20 years old. I feel they may want him to develop a bit more. Engel Beltre is a good CF but he's only 21 or 22. I'm really not sure who, if anyone, is ready to make the transition. -
I think Texas will have to sign Fielder or trade for a good 1B unless they feel comfortable with Moreland again. Sophomore Slump last year maybe he'll get better.

Last edited by Ninkobei; 11-03-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

There's just been way too many busts coming from Japan to make me comfortable with counting on Darvish. Dice K was awesome over there. Koji was a very good starting pitcher, and the Orioles brought him over to start. There are obviously others. Yes Darvish is the best yet, but he's not much younger than Dice K when he came over. There's just so many differences, from how the game is played to how the pitchers prepare and how much rest they're given. I'd like to try, but I'm not willing to rely on him to front the rotation, which is what we need.

Regarding Adams, I just think he's really good. He's been one of the best relievers in baseball over the past few years. I also think that Ogando is in a unique position having been stretched out. It'd be interesting to see if he could be a multiple inning guy throughout the season like he was in the playoffs.

With the first base situation, it's simply the fact that you still don't know for sure about Moreland due to the injury, and you have right handed bats that you need at bats for anyway. If Moreland fails again (and I wouldn't be shocked if he did) you adjust accordingly during the season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #15
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
There's just been way too many busts coming from Japan to make me comfortable with counting on Darvish. Dice K was awesome over there. Koji was a very good starting pitcher, and the Orioles brought him over to start. There are obviously others. Yes Darvish is the best yet, but he's not much younger than Dice K when he came over. There's just so many differences, from how the game is played to how the pitchers prepare and how much rest they're given. I'd like to try, but I'm not willing to rely on him to front the rotation, which is what we need.

Darvish is the Ichiro of pitchers. Period. There is Iguchi, Johjima, Fukudome, Shinjo, etc here in the states that came from overseas, but only one Ichiro. Darvish is in that same company. You just can't compare him to Dice K or friggin Koji. This is an absolute ace over there and he will be an absolute ace over here, so yes, you can rely on him to front the rotation, just as last year we relied on a relief pitcher turned starting pitcher with 1 year of experience coming off of a poor post season - oh, and we won the most regular season and post season games in Franchise history.

Regarding Adams, I just think he's really good. He's been one of the best relievers in baseball over the past few years. I also think that Ogando is in a unique position having been stretched out. It'd be interesting to see if he could be a multiple inning guy throughout the season like he was in the playoffs.

Yes, Adams is really good and yes he has been one of the best relievers in baseball over the past few years....while pitching in arguably (no, not arguably, it is definitely as much) the best pitchers park in baseball. That doesn't mean he isn't really good. He is damn good. But my argument is that, given the needs of a closer, maybe Ogando is better.

With the first base situation, it's simply the fact that you still don't know for sure about Moreland due to the injury, and you have right handed bats that you need at bats for anyway. If Moreland fails again (and I wouldn't be shocked if he did) you adjust accordingly during the season.

Yeah, but obviously there are way, way more at bats for LH hitters as there are way, way more RH pitchers in baseball. So that means Moreland will get 500 ABs or so and be below average for that time. Best case next year - 0 WAR, 0 dWAR. I feel like Tony MFing Tiger over here while sarcastically yelling GRREEEAAATTT!!! Give me Fielder and you don't have this worry.
Above...

Last edited by Male30Dan; 11-03-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #16
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Saw this link on Newberg and reposting here... it's on the front page of TFR...

any thoughts? sounds almost too good to be true. Not sure what his timeline is but isn't this what we hoped for Scheppers?

(apologies if i'm doing this wrong - trying to provide the link and give credit and all)

-----------------------

http://www.texasfarmreview.com/

Top Ten Relief Prospects in the System (By Ceiling)
1. RHP Matt West: From a lighting fast arm in a ¾ slot, position prospect turned high-ceiling relief prospect Matt West shows two 70-grade pitches and 70-command projection. His fastball will sit in the mid-90s and can tough higher, with great extension giving the pitch explosion and late-life. It’s a well-above-average major league offering, and might even grade higher than 70 on some reports. The slider is another 70-grade beast, as West will actually show it in multiple forms; I’ve seen the pitch destroy with a harsh two-plane break at 79-81 with depth, but he can also shove the pitch into the mid 80s, with more extreme tilt as it enters the zone. Because he shows near-elite secondary command, West can drop the slider for strikes on either side of the plate, to lefties or righties, with an almost preternatural ability to back-foot the pitch and then turn around and elevate it out of the hitting zone. With two late-inning pitches to go along with sharp command, West has the stuff to close at the major league level. With a demeanor suited for high-leverage situations, West has the rare combination of stuff and savvy required for the pressure-packed situations. Baseball is a strange game, and the developmental journey of some prospects can be even stranger. Matt West is a prime example of what can happen when natural ability finally finds the proper avenue for conductivity. You have to credit not only West but also the developmental staff of the Rangers for showing the patience necessary to extract this raw talent. West isn’t a finished product, but based on what I’ve seen he owns the highest relief ceiling in the system. He could be a frontline closer. His stuff is that nasty.
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #17
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Another 21 year old who may not be ready just yet. Man in 3-4 years there is going to be a Plethora of pitchers coming up. But I still think that is too young for the big league. I love to be proven wrong. Also, Matt West is the guy that got suspended for 50 games in 2008 for illegal substances, HGH I think. Only been a pitcher for a year or two, used to play 3B
Old 11-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Darvish Q&A.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #19
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Wow... 2 votes. That's just sad.

Seriously - just read that an additional 2 wild card teams (1 per league) could be joining the postseason as early as 2012! Wow!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Sign CJ, bring Olt up to play 1st, see if there are trades that can be made for Hunter Pence to CF -- let Oliver walk but resign Gonzalez. Sign Darvish.

Move Felix to starting and Adams to closing.

Move Face to DH, and only play D as needed for rest during the regular season.

Extend Hamilton, Napoli, Murphy.

Do your homework on Sizemore and see if he is back or really done at this point.

SP - Darvish, CJ, Cobra, Ogando, Feliz, Harrison, Holland (Losing 2 should provide for one heck of a need come trading deadline.-long relief until then)

Closer - Adams

Setup men to fight it out -- plenty to choose from

1st - Olt, with Moreland, MY and Nap if he needs rest
2nd - Kinsler with MY if he needs rest
SS - Andrus with a backup SS need
3rd - Beltre with Olt, MY as needed
Catch - Nap and Tor

OF- Cruz, Hamilton, Murph as the 4th OF, Gentry, and maybe Sizemore -- Pence if you are lucky and that would resolve the too many starting pitchers issue.

Moreland can play some corner OF during regular season.

Man -- just not a lot of needs

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 11-18-2011 at 05:53 PM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #21
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Rangers just signed Joe Nathan. Feliz will start! YIPPEE on the latter - we'll see on the former.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #22
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

That are the general thoughts on Nathan...the 37yr old closer who is recovering from Tommy Johns??

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:52 AM   #23
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
That are the general thoughts on Nathan...the 37yr old closer who is recovering from Tommy Johns??
Mixed emotions by most people. I am very hopeful that we get the pitcher that showed up the last part of 2011 (the guy with much improved velocity over the earlier version and with multiple out pitches). He said himself that TJS made him become a better pitcher and now that his velocity is returning (and hopefully even more so this year) I think he could end up as good as he was prior to the injury. He could also regress greatly and there is certainly risk. The good news is that we have the talent in our bullpen (and frankly, our starting pitching) to recover from any setback he has.

The key move is Feliz starting. I can't tell you how excited I am about it. I have been begging for this for multiple years now as most of you all know. If he can take his talent and mold it properly and truly learn to pitch (no easy task I will grant you) this guy can actually become the best pitcher in baseball - that is his ceiling. Not a #1. THE #1. He MUST learn to pitch and not just throw but, if he does, Jesus Christ - watch out. He and Holland could both end up being something very, very special and hopefully that is what comes to fruition.

You look at the POTENTIAL of our rotation. Ogando is still learning to pitch and might develop another 1-2 pitches to become something truly special. Harrison is still a mental midget that, if he EVER gets past that and uses his impressive stuff without letting his head get in the way (for a year, not a 4-game stretch) he could be quite special too (of course to be fair, the same could be said about Holland - I just think he has better stuff). Colby is Colby - and that is welcome on this pitching staff of course. He is money in the playoffs and you definitely need a guy like that.

I still hold out hope for Darvish, because I think he is absolutely special (Harrison would go to the bullpen or be traded in that scenario, preferably the former) and would obviously welcome Fielder with open arms, but I trust Ninja completely. He is sly with moves that are nothing if not devilishly sinister and full of win. I haven't agreed with everything he has done, but more often than not I find that I am wrong and he is, well, Ninja.

To summarize, hopeful on the Nathan front and absolutely THRILLED on the Feliz front.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 11-23-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #24
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Felix, Holland, Ogando, Harrison are some young arms each with TORP "potential".

I am a huge Cobra fan -- wow he might actually be the #5 pitcher in a year or so..........if they didn't sign anyone.

Darvish would be sweet.

I say sign them all -- that you can because any TORP potential pitcher will bring back an excellent bat if needed.

IF and that is a big IF -- Harrison can get his head on straight -- I think he has better stuff than CJ Wilson (and I think CJ is a legit #2 for a world series team).

The potential of Feliz, Holland, Ogando, and Harrison would make Texas a challenger for years to come.........IF they develop -- especially in the head department.

I think all of them have electric arms which can miss bats -- the question is can they learn that killer instinct.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #25
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I think expecting anything more than what you got out of Harrison last year is chasing a fantasy. He basically realized his ceiling last year, imo. The question is whether he can maintain that level.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #26
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think expecting anything more than what you got out of Harrison last year is chasing a fantasy. He basically realized his ceiling last year, imo. The question is whether he can maintain that level.
Well, frankly, we got a darn good year out of him all things considered. I do think that suggesting he further matures mentally is not fantasy. Assuming he can maintain his stuff and refine it even (as young pitchers can - and I know he isn't exactly 20 anymore) it absolutely stands to reason that he improves.

Holland though... Man... I am so excited about that guy and his potential. Ogando - same thing. With an entire year to work on his off speed stuff and improve his endurance while knowing he is a starter - p.o.t.e.n.t.i.a.l all over that guy. Add in Feliz (everything I said about Ogando applies here) and wow. IF we add Darvish....... WOW! If not, so be it. You still have Colby and Harrison (and Feldman for that matter), who are talented pitchers, one of which has had great postseason success.

Losing CJ will be an absolute blessing if his funds are used to bring in Yu or Fielder. Now, if CJ walks (almost 100% to happen at this point) and we replace him with Feliz and are pretty much status quo from there - I must say that will be a bit disappointing. Here is hoping that doesn't happen though, even though it might just be the smart way to go considering the guys we need to eventually lock up.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #27
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

So what does the rotation look like this year ? #1 Holland, #2 Cobra, #3 FELIZ #4 Harrison #5 Ogando? I definitely like the looks of that. Plus by my estimates the rangers have about ~$20 million to play with so surely they will add someone else. I cant wait for next season
Old 12-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #28
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, frankly, we got a darn good year out of him all things considered. I do think that suggesting he further matures mentally is not fantasy. Assuming he can maintain his stuff and refine it even (as young pitchers can - and I know he isn't exactly 20 anymore) it absolutely stands to reason .
The thinking is that any actual improvements he makes will be offset by the luck regression his periphs suggest
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #29
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Feliz has moved to the rotation and it definitely appears that CJ will leave. Yu just decided to move forward with being posted and Fielder's agent talked with Texas last night.

Just saying, things could get real interesting if LA gets CJ and Texas decides to keep up with the Joneses.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #30
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

If the angels are really getting Pujols, JD needs to sign Prince Fielder STAT!
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #31
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Oh my god I'm vomiting all over everything.

Please, Albert, actually be 49 years old.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #32
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

This sucks.

On one hand, I think there's a lot to be said for not being reactionary and making hasty decisions.

On the other hand...dammit go get Prince Fielder.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #33
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Good news everyone! Darvish is being posted
Quote:
The free-agent market for starting pitching is about to gain another significant asset. Japanese star pitcher Yu Darvish of the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters will be posted for availability to Major League clubs, according to a tweet sent out early Thursday morning by Darvish's agent, Don Nomura.

Darvish's addition to the list of available starting pitchers has been the focus of much speculation in recent weeks, and it now appears he and his parent club are moving one step closer to turning rumor into reality. Once the posting is made, Major League clubs interested in Darvish will submit sealed offers to the Ham Fighters.

The team with the highest offer will have the exclusive opportunity to negotiate with the 25-year-old right-hander. Any contract must be agreed upon within 30 days or Darvish would return to Japan and the posting fee returned to the Major League club.

Darvish, who went 18-6 with a 1.44 ERA and 276 strikeouts for the Fighters in 2011, gained noteriety stateside when he led Japan to the 2009 World Baseball Classic title. He has been one of the biggest stars in the Pacific League throughout his career.

Darvish is expected to be targeted by a number of clubs. The most notable might be the Yankees, who have been said to have interest in the right-hander, and may look to fill out their starting rotation despite a quiet showing so far at this year's Winter Meetings.

It remains to be seen whether the winning posting fee to negotiate with the Japanese star will exceed the $51,111,111.11 the Red Sox bid for Daisuke Matsuzaka in November 2006.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #34
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Wow - they just added 10 wins between Fielder and CJ and we just lost 5 (less depending on the addition from Feliz going from reliever to starter).

Time to Fing spend Nolan/JD!

The Angels may have saved our offseason by spending all of this money. Yu was just posted and you know we HAVE to be in on Fielder to some degree now that the Angels got BOTH guys.

Offseason could end up just like I wanted it minus Ogando still starting and Nathan closing...
Old 12-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #35
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I'm glad the Rangers will let CJ walk. I'm glad they didn't commit to $25mm per year @ 10 years for Pujols. But for both of those guys to be going to the Angels? That stings.

They need to make a big splash. Fielder and Darvish would be a step in the right direction.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #36
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark View Post
I'm glad the Rangers will let CJ walk. I'm glad they didn't commit to $25mm per year @ 10 years for Pujols. But for both of those guys to be going to the Angels? That stings.

They need to make a big splash. Fielder and Darvish would be a step in the right direction.
If you ask me, Yu is definitely a better pitcher than CJ and Fielder will mostly equal Pujols' contributions over the next 4-5 years. Obviously we haven't signed shit, but if we were to go after both and nab them, we would have done more than take a step in the right direction. When you consider adding Feliz into the rotation as well, we would have surpassed their huge step and would have kept them behind us.

For that matter, if we only get Fielder I think we would be pretty much equals with them as we got our "CJ" with the addition of Feliz. Will not be a runaway division that last week of the year anymore - that is unless we sit on our hands and LA is the team doing the running.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 12-08-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #37
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Man, their rotation is SICK though...

They have arguably 4 pitchers that, if added to our rotation, would be our ace. :/
Old 12-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #38
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Letting CJ walk for 5/75 is stupid. Letting him go to the Angels for that is moronic.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #39
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow - they just added 10 wins between Fielder and CJ and we just lost 5 (less depending on the addition from Feliz going from reliever to starter).

Time to Fing spend Nolan/JD!

The Angels may have saved our offseason by spending all of this money. Yu was just posted and you know we HAVE to be in on Fielder to some degree now that the Angels got BOTH guys.

Offseason could end up just like I wanted it minus Ogando still starting and Nathan closing...
Isnt it more important to sign Andrus, Cruz, Feliz, Hamilton and co. to longer contracts? Those guys are grossly underpaid. Fielder is an overhyped overweight 1st baseman. Pujols may go down as the worst signing in the history of MLB. CJ is going to make ridiculous money as well. On top if it all, apparently it is going to top $125 million to get Darvish.

Does Texas really want to spend that kind of money on a pitcher that has never played in the MLB? Look at the history of Japanese pitchers, not a good conversion rate. Add in that Darvish wasnt even the best pitcher (ERA) in Japanese league this year. I think the Rangers will concentrate on signing what they have until a more realistic, non-overhyped prospect comes along.

Last edited by Ninkobei; 12-08-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #40
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
IFor that matter, if we only get Fielder I think we would be pretty much equals with them as we got our "CJ" with the addition of Feliz. Will not be a runaway division that last week of the year anymore - that is unless we sit on our hands and LA is the team doing the running.
Expecting Feliz to step into the rotation and do what CJ has done the past two seasons is simply not realistic.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Tags
free agency, offseason, rangers, texas, trade