Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

View Poll Results: What is your preference?
CJ walks, Feliz to rotation, Fielder signed, Yu signed, Ogando closes, $$$$$ 2 22.22%
CJ walks, Ogando to Rotation, Fielder signed, Yu signed, Feliz closes, $$$$$ 0 0%
CJ walks, Feliz to rotation, Feldman/X to rotation, Fielder signed, Ogando closes, $$$ 0 0%
Resign CJ, sign Yu, keep Moreland, Ogando setup man, Feliz closes, $$$$ 1 11.11%
Resign CJ, Feliz to rotation, Fielder signed, Ogando closes $$$$ 1 11.11%
Resign CJ, Ogando to rotation, Fielder signed, Feliz closes $$$$ 0 0%
Safe mode (resign CJ, Ogando/Feliz to rotation, keep Moreland, Ogando/Feliz closes, status quo) $$ 0 0%
Yankee mode (resign CJ, Yu signed, Fielder signed and going for it all in 2012) $$$$$$$ 0 0%
Complete whiff (CJ walks, no Fielder, no Yu and all internal upgrades) 1 11.11%
OTHER (provide description below) 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #201
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
If you'll notice in my post, I said I wasn't real comfortable with calling it a disease. But comparing it to "lack of self control" is idiotic.
Do you mean to say that the ability to willing stay sober is sometimes outside a person's control?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #202
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Do you mean to say that the ability to willing stay sober is sometimes outside a person's control?
Well let's define what we're talking about, first. People that abuse drugs and/or alcohol, become chemically dependent on them. They have very real and very difficult physical and emotional issues when they try to stop their habit. Some things are powerful enough that it doesn't even take abuse to create a dependency. I've walked alongside someone who had to wean off of a year of Oxicodone use (not abuse, used as prescribed) and it was horrific.

So telling someone that is chemically dependent to use their self control is of course possible, but it's somewhat akin to telling someone that is clinically depressed to "just be happy".

As for someone that has broken the dependency and is in recovery, it is certainly within their control, but let's not be like Murph and act like it's akin not having your morning coffee. If you want to get technical (which is what you want to do, being the board contrarian), then you are correct. But there was a context surrounding that term that was too dismissive, imo.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #203
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you want to get technical (which is what you want to do, being the board contrarian), then you are correct. But there was a context surrounding that term that was too dismissive, imo.
Then why didn't you say that the first time, before throwing around words like "idiotic?" You should be more careful, before you dismiss sentiments in such a heated fashion.

My apologies, if you perceive diplomacy as "technical" or "contrary."

Last edited by chumdawg; 02-05-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #204
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Then why didn't you say that the first time, before throwing around words like "idiotic?" You should be more careful, before you dismiss sentiments in such a heated fashion.

My apologies, if you perceive diplomacy as "technical" or "contrary."
I feel pretty comfortable with my assessment of his intention with the statement. If he comes back and clarifies, I'm not above apologizing.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 02-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #205
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I feel pretty comfortable with my assessment of his intention with the statement. If he comes back and clarifies, I'm not above apologizing.
Fair enough.

But I think you are forcing ideas through the lens of your own experience, which is never a good idea.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #206
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Compare it to something we're all addicted to: Just stop having sex. Cold turkey. And feel ashamed every time you get aroused. That's what a drug addict goes through but with drugs. lol
Old 02-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #207
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you'll notice in my post, I said I wasn't real comfortable with calling it a disease. But comparing it to "lack of self control" is idiotic.
Why is it idiotic? You make a choice.. do it or don't. Of course it's lack of self control. Your sentiments are f'ing idiotic. I'm curious as to what that makes you...

Last edited by Murphy3; 02-05-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #208
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Why is it idiotic? You make a choice.. do it or don't. Of course it's lack of self control. Your sentiments are f'ing idiotic. I'm curious as to what that makes you...
It is a choice, but there's a lot of evidence that many are genetically handicapped against making the correct choice. And getting clean after becoming chemically dependent is way, way, WAY beyond just "do it or don't".

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-06-2012, 02:20 AM   #209
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well let's define what we're talking about, first. People that abuse drugs and/or alcohol, become chemically dependent on them. They have very real and very difficult physical and emotional issues when they try to stop their habit. Some things are powerful enough that it doesn't even take abuse to create a dependency. I've walked alongside someone who had to wean off of a year of Oxicodone use (not abuse, used as prescribed) and it was horrific.

So telling someone that is chemically dependent to use their self control is of course possible, but it's somewhat akin to telling someone that is clinically depressed to "just be happy".

As for someone that has broken the dependency and is in recovery, it is certainly within their control, but let's not be like Murph and act like it's akin not having your morning coffee. If you want to get technical (which is what you want to do, being the board contrarian), then you are correct. But there was a context surrounding that term that was too dismissive, imo.
I completely agree, in my mind Thig is right on about this topic. I think many people severely underestimate the power of addiction and some don't realize how bad it was for Josh. Lives are ruined by it constantly. Many people fail over and over again to beat it, and a large portion of them just give up. At his worst he had lost 40 pounds, blown all of his money, and took lethal doses (for nearly anyone else) of cocaine multiple times. He made a choice to put himself in the position he did (being at dinner alone, choosing to have the first drink) but after that I feel like it quickly becomes out of the recovering addict's control. He has said that him and alcohol "don't mix," meaning one drink is enough to get him to fall, as was the case here. Addiction is extremely power, and it will be a struggle for the rest of Josh's life. We all have our struggles and shortcomings, and this is his biggest one.

Overall, I don't think this relapse will have any huge consequences long term, as I still feel he is strongly committed to staying sober and it's a one time thing (he hasn't had any sort of relapse for 3 years, which is pretty impressive for a recovering addict of his extent.) He'll pick himself up with his faith in God and get back on the right track. It doesn't negate how incredible his turnaround has been, and it's not the end of the world. The biggest consequence is the he cost himself a lot of $$$, and he'll need to work to re-establish trust with the Rangers organization. Right now he needs prayers, love, and support, not public backlash.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #210
chumdawg
Guru

You would think that as much time as he spent hawking Jesus, Jesus would have thrown him a little bone there.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #211
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
You would think that as much time as he spent hawking Jesus, Jesus would have thrown him a little bone there.
I'm not really sure what you're getting at. He wasn't a follower of Christ when he was going through all of his struggles and his life was so devastating. His parents were, and raised him in a Christian home, but he said he had never made the faith his own until he had hit rock bottom. Once he did, he slowly but surely was able to beat the addiction. He explained in his press conference that when he "loses focus on Christ" is when he has his weakest moments. His faith is what gets him through, but Jesus always said that the Christian life wouldn't be easy. Josh uses his faith to get him through, but that doesn't mean addiction still won't continue to be a struggle for him the rest of his life.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #212
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Seriously man?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #213
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13 View Post
I completely agree, in my mind Thig is right on about this topic. I think many people severely underestimate the power of addiction and some don't realize how bad it was for Josh. Lives are ruined by it constantly. Many people fail over and over again to beat it, and a large portion of them just give up. At his worst he had lost 40 pounds, blown all of his money, and took lethal doses (for nearly anyone else) of cocaine multiple times. He made a choice to put himself in the position he did (being at dinner alone, choosing to have the first drink) but after that I feel like it quickly becomes out of the recovering addict's control. He has said that him and alcohol "don't mix," meaning one drink is enough to get him to fall, as was the case here. Addiction is extremely power, and it will be a struggle for the rest of Josh's life. We all have our struggles and shortcomings, and this is his biggest one.

Overall, I don't think this relapse will have any huge consequences long term, as I still feel he is strongly committed to staying sober and it's a one time thing (he hasn't had any sort of relapse for 3 years, which is pretty impressive for a recovering addict of his extent.) He'll pick himself up with his faith in God and get back on the right track. It doesn't negate how incredible his turnaround has been, and it's not the end of the world. The biggest consequence is the he cost himself a lot of $$$, and he'll need to work to re-establish trust with the Rangers organization. Right now he needs prayers, love, and support, not public backlash.
I don't disagree that it isn't easy. My point was that it's a choice. Yes, being an addict makes it more difficult.. but yeah, it's still a choice. Most of us have addictions that we struggle with. Again, it's still a choice. I fail to make the right choice with my addiction daily. I'm just glad I don't have to give a press conference every time a fail.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #214
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Three year extension for Andrus.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tex...vis-andrus.ece

Nice, I love it. Just skipping right over arb years and getting it all done at once.

Last edited by mavspwnage; 02-07-2012 at 10:36 PM.
mavspwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #215
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Nice! Now lets lock up Cruz for 3 more years, and Napoli for 2!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #216
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

http://deadspin.com/josh-hamilton-sex-tape/

Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #217
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post
Man, you sure do have to feel horrible for his wife. Tough situation for sure.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #218
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

That's not a confirmed sex tape. Someone just tried to sell something. Doesn't mean they actually have one
Old 02-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #219
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Rangers sign Nellie to a two year deal, avoiding arb this year and next. Time to move on to Napoli now.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:56 AM   #220
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Napoli signed to one year $9.4 mil deal. Rangers streak of not going to arbitration continues for another year.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #221
mavspwnage
Golden Member

lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8WffdHiLzo

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tex...rious-clip.ece

Tags
free agency, offseason, rangers, texas, trade