Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #41
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Kirkpatrick and Upshaw looked good last night.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #42
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

If Dallas doesnt make any major changes this offseason with their secondary/Offensive line, and drafts only special teams players, I vote we start the 2013 Offseason thread in October right after the Ranger's world series win.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #43
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Big changes to the coaching staff today. I like it. I sense a new and energetic approach coming for the offseason.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #44
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Big changes to the coaching staff today. I like it. I sense a new and energetic approach coming for the offseason.
I agree.

So far:
Dave Campo out.
Jerome Henderson in. (clearly, a Rob Ryan move)
Bill Callahan in.

Contact Me
Old 01-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #45
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping that we could lure Sporano back but I'm good with this. I posted a couple a months ago that while Hud probably knows as much about o-line play as any coach in the league the fact remains that he's 70 coaching the most demanding position in the league. We're loaded with young players and having a coach with a bit more energy can't hurt.

I also like the fact that he's coordinated an offense. I was just thinking that Garret didn't have a coach on his staff who has coordinated an offense or an up and coming offensive mind. I don't have as much of a problem with his offense as a lot of fans seem to but having a sounding board he trusts could make him a better coach.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #46
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
I was hoping that we could lure Sporano back but I'm good with this. I posted a couple a months ago that while Hud probably knows as much about o-line play as any coach in the league the fact remains that he's 70 coaching the most demanding position in the league. We're loaded with young players and having a coach with a bit more energy can't hurt.

I also like the fact that he's coordinated an offense. I was just thinking that Garret didn't have a coach on his staff who has coordinated an offense or an up and coming offensive mind. I don't have as much of a problem with his offense as a lot of fans seem to but having a sounding board he trusts could make him a better coach.
I think and hope these moves mean that the Cowboys are putting less on Garrett by surrounding him with guys who wouldn't have signed here unless they knew they had input in football decisions.

With Garrett, less is more.

Contact Me
Old 01-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #47
alby
Guru

Jon Kitna out

Contact Me
Old 01-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #48
alby
Guru

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...nd-a-rookie-cb

Fixing the Cowboys: Start with Carl Nicks, rookie CB
January, 16, 2012
By Tim MacMahon

The Cowboys have too many holes to fill with significant free agency investments and early draft picks. They need to aggressively address their priorities and bargain shop or count on young players to step up in the other need spots.

The priorities are clear: cornerback and the interior offensive line.

There is only one undoubtedly elite player just entering his prime at those positions available in free agency. That’s why Pro Bowl guard Carl Nicks, who is expected to leave the Saints and happened to play for new offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Bill Callahan at Nebraska, should be the Cowboys’ top target.

The best corners in free agency – Atlanta’s Brent Grimes, Tennessee’s Cortland Finnegan and San Francisco’s Carlos Rogers – are in their late 20s or beyond. The Cowboys are dealing with the downside of paying big money to a cornerback at that stage of his career with Terence Newman. That’s a hole they need to fill via the draft.

Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick would be a perfect fit for the Cowboys, even if they have to trade up from the No. 14 spot to get him.
Owner/general manager Jerry Jones, who made Leonard Davis one of the richest guards in NFL history only to cut him a few seasons later, has said he wants to stop the trend of paying top dollar for offensive linemen in free agency. Nicks is worth being an exception, especially given the Cowboys’ glaring need. He’s a dominant player who is only 26 years old, so the Cowboys would be purchasing his entire prime.

What would Nicks cost? Just look at what the Saints pay their other Pro Bowl guard to get an idea. Jahri Evans has a seven-year, $56.7 million deal.

That would eat up a major chunk of the estimated $17 million the Cowboys are expected to have under the salary cap after they take care of housekeeping issues such as cutting Newman. If the Cowboys re-sign receiver Laurent Robinson, it likely would mean Nicks would be the lone surefire starter they sign in free agency.

So the Cowboys better find a cornerback in the draft. But that doesn’t necessarily mean they need to reach for one in the first round.

It’d be ideal if Alabama’s Dre Kirkpatrick, the kind of big, physical cornerback the Cowboys want, is available with the 14th overall pick. He’d probably be worth trading up a few spots.

But a lot of bad picks are made when teams get locked into one position in the first round. If another player is clearly the best player on the board when the Cowboys are on the clock, get that guy, even if it’s Stanford guard David DeCastro and Nicks is already signed. If that happens, the Cowboys’ interior line suddenly goes from a glaring weakness to a major strength, no matter who beats out Phil Costa for the starting center job.

There should be quality corners, such South Carolina’s Stephon Gilmore and Virginia’s Chase Minnifield, available in the second round.

Safety, defensive end and outside linebacker are other need positions for the Cowboys. If the Cowboys find long-term solutions at those spots over the next year, it’ll probably be young players already on the roster: Barry Church, Sean Lissemore and Victor Butler, although Alabama OLB Courtney Upshaw is also a first-round possibility. The Cowboys would be wise to create as much competition at those spots as possible with low-risk, short-term free agents and/or mid- or late-round draft picks.

But the Cowboys can’t afford to fail to address their two biggest needs, a process that should start with a 6-foot-5, 343-pound solution.

Contact Me
Old 01-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #49
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Give me Nicks right now.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #50
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Nicks is nice, but he got totally asspounded on Sunday. That was the first game I've actually watched him play specifically.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #51
alby
Guru

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...-draft-defense

Fixing the Cowboys: Find CB first, then draft defense
January, 18, 2012
By Bryan Broaddus

This is the third installment of Fixing the Cowboys:

When the final whistle blew on that chilly night at MetLife Stadium, the season ended for the Dallas Cowboys. The hope of a division title died with a roster that wasn’t good enough to compete with the Giants for the second time in four weeks. If Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett are honest with themselves, they will look at this roster and say that it’s just not good enough to compete with the Giants and the Eagles. We can talk about the Super Bowl all we want, but if you are not playing well in your division, there are going to be problems.

When I worked for the Cowboys, the biggest issues I had during our final meeting of the season was that we were not honest with the makeup of our squad. When you go 5-11 for three straight seasons and the coaches talk about the players like we were 11-5, there are going to be problems. Garrett and these coaches can't keep Jerry from believing his roster is better than it really is. I'm not going to say that there isn't talent on this team, but I will say there were players on this roster that Jones and Garrett were counting on that just weren't good enough.

Here is what I would try and do to help it:

1. As much as I want to overhaul this secondary, I am going to try and fix the left cornerback spot first. Terence Newman needs to be replaced immediately. His level of play has clearly slipped and he no longer plays with any confidence. When a corner lacks confidence you might as well be playing with a speed bump out there. There are two ways that Jones can attack this area. The first is to trust his pro scouting staff, which brought him Laurent Robinson and Tony Fiammetta. The big name corners on the market this spring will be Cortland Finnegan of the Titans and Brent Grimes of the Falcons. Both of these players are similar in age and will command top dollar. If I had to lean one way, I would probably go toward Finnegan because of his aggressive style and the nastiness in his play, which this team lacks. If there might be a hitch, it'd be that Jones and Garrett would like to have a corner with more size -- Finnegan and Grimes are both in the 5-9, 185-pound range.

There's no doubt that Alabama's Dre Kirkpatrick could instantly help the Cowboys' secondary, but can the team look past his recent arrest for marijuana possession?
The second way this area could be addressed is through the draft, which can either be feast or famine. Sitting in the 14th spot, Jones is still in decent shape because you usually have between 15 to 18 players that have first-round grades on your board. The second-best corner on the board will be Dre Kirkpatrick from Alabama. There is no questioning Kirkpatrick's ability or size (6-2, 192 pounds), but now character issues have been raised -- he was charged with possession of marijuana Tuesday and was released after paying a $120 fine.

When I worked for Bill Parcells, he put players with character flaws into "The Box" -- an area where you put players that you did not want to draft, period. I guarantee there will be teams that will take Kirkpatrick off their boards and into "The Box." The question for the Cowboys: Will Kirkpatrick be able to explain what happened, and will other examples of questionable behavior be uncovered? I would still consider Kirkpatrick an option for the Cowboys, but he really has to convince me that it'd be in my best interest to select him. I promise the Cowboys will turn over every rock to get to the bottom of this. He's that good of a player.

2. As much as I want to fix the interior of this offensive line with the addition of a free-agent guard like the Saints' Carl Nicks, I have to think about the amount of funds I wound have to allow for this to work. Don't get me wrong, it'd be money well spent, but there's also an opportunity to select the best guard in the draft -- Stanford's David DeCastro.

Jones and Garrett have to ask themselves if finding a replacement for OLB Anthony Spencer is more important than filling a position where you seem to have better options. Does Kyle Kosier, Montrae Holland, Derrick Dockery, Kevin Kowalski, Bill Nagy and David Arkin make you feel comfortable enough with the guard spot as is, whereas you just have Victor Butler and Alex Albright at outside linebacker? There is no doubt the Cowboys lacked a pass rusher that could help DeMarcus Ware on the other side. The Cowboys like Butler -- and he very well could be the starter going into 2012 -- but why not use the 14th pick to upgrade that spot with Alabama's Courtney Upshaw or South Carolina's Melvin Ingram? The Cowboys must do a better job of pressuring the quarterback because Ware can't do it alone. I have been critical of Ware, but a player on the other side could take pressure off him and help this defense tremendously.

Boise State's Billy Winn could be an interesting draft choice for the Cowboys as his physical presence could help them at the defensive end spot.

3. Sticking with the defense, I'm also taking a hard look at three spots -- defensive end, inside linebacker and safety. At defensive end, I'd move on from Kenyon Coleman, who wasn't nearly as good at the end of the season as he was at the beginning. I like Jason Hatcher, and I also think there is a role for Marcus Spears. Sean Lissemore proved to be a nice swing guy, but he looked better at nose tackle, so I'm tempted to keep him there. The scouts have hope for Clifton Geathers, but I don't share that. I would look to draft a productive player like Boise State's Billy Winn, who played tackle but should be suited more for play on the outside.

4. I'm also looking for help at inside linebacker, because there's really no depth. It's time to move on from Bradie James and Keith Brooking. Bruce Carter will be ready to play in 2012 and will be productive playing next to Sean Lee. However, behind those two, there's nothing. I'd try to add player in the fourth round that could be a quality backup but also help in the nickel, like Kevin Burnett did several years ago. Texas' Emmanuel Acho could be an interesting choice. Acho has a nose for the ball and is super active.

5. At safety, I'm moving on from Abram Elam because I need someone with more range. I have too many safeties on this roster that are forward players, such as Barry Church and Danny McCray. This defense needs someone that gets their hands on the ball and can help off the hash or middle of the field. I don't need safeties that can't adjust to Victor Cruz going down the field or Riley Cooper catching a jump ball from Michael Vick. If the Cowboys have a safety with range, it would be a step in the right direction in helping this secondary.

For all the problems that Garrett has had with game management, I feel he's got a good eye for talent and understands how you go about gathering players. Despite what people want to believe, the head coach does have a great deal of say in what players are signed and drafted. Bill Parcells took advantage of this; Dave Campo didn't. Chan Gailey convinced Jones that he wanted nothing to do with Randy Moss. Jason Garrett went to USC last season to see Tyron Smith work out and talk with members of the staff to get a feel for him.

You might not want to trust Jerry Jones, but you should trust Jason Garrett. I think he gets it.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 01-18-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #52
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

For the first time in a while, I actually agree with Broaddus.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #53
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know where to put this but it is related to Aikman. Saw the article and just laughed out loud at what he wrote...

Old 03-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #54
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Out: Terrance Newman (CB), Tony Fiametta (FB), John Kitna (QB), Martellus Bennett (TE), David Beuhler (K)

In: Brandon Carr (CB), Lawrence Vickers (FB), Kyle Orton (QB)

Cowboys looking smart so far...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-14-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typo
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #55
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

fiametta must have had some medical issues.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #56
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei View Post
fiametta must have had some medical issues.
He wanted too much money...

Plus, Vickers is actually a better run-blocker - he's the guy who made the Foster/Tate machine go in Houston.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #57
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

have the cowboys signed a GM yet? haha
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #58
Underdog

Looks like Laurent Robinson just signed a 5-year deal with the Jags...

There's a rumor that the Cowboys are looking at Arizona's Early Doucet as a 3rd WR option.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #59
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Non-Cowboys general NFL news today: Sean Payton suspended for the entire season, Tebow traded to the Jets.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #60
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Non-Cowboys general NFL news today: Sean Payton suspended for the entire season, Tebow traded to the Jets.
Two less teams for everyone to compete with this season...

Old 03-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #61
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Looking forward to facing you guys this coming season.. Cowboys v Giants games are always exciting, emotional, and bloody nerve wrecking. On my list of things that I hate, the Giants losing to Tony Romo and the Cowboys are #2.. right behind the Mavericks losing.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #62
Underdog

Schedule came out... Yet another away game to start the season (against the defending champs, no less) - that's zero season debuts at Cowboys Stadium in the 4 years of its existence... Also, another Week 5 bye - the last time we got one beyond Week 6 was back in 2008... And 4 out of the 5 games after the bye are on the road.

Isn't the schedule supposed to favor sh!tty teams?

Last edited by Underdog; 04-18-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #63
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Schedule came out... Yet another away game to start the season (against the defending champs, no less) - that's zero season debuts at Cowboys Stadium in the 4 years of its existence... Also, another Week 5 bye - the last time we got one beyond Week 6 was back in 2008... And 4 out of the 5 games after the bye are on the road.

Isn't the schedule supposed to favor sh!tty teams?
Playing the worst teams from last year isn't enough? I agree though it seems weird that the cowboys get a week 4 bye every year. Mixing it up shouldn't be too tough. That said I have all but lost hope in the cowboys organization and nothing they say/do can win me over outside of playing quality football.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #64
Underdog

Quote:
Playing the worst teams from last year isn't enough?
Our schedule, not including the NFC East:

Seattle (7-9)
Tampa Bay (4-12)
Chicago (8-8)
Baltimore (12-4)
Carolina (6-10)
Atlanta (10-6)
Cleveland (4-12)
Cincinnati (9-7)
Pittsburgh (12-4)
New Orleans (13-3)

Total: 88-75

We were a .500 team last year, and this year we're going to play 5 of the 10 best teams from last season, not including the Giants. We only play 3 of the worst 10, not including the Redskins.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-18-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #65
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Well that's right, I guess Dallas didn't come in last in the division. The redskins had that title so they should get the easier schedule. Seems weird that both Pitt and Baltimore are on the schedule. Seems like AFC teams are few and far between, can't they at least split up the divisions?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #66
Underdog

wrong thread

Last edited by Underdog; 04-18-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #67
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

dang no draft talk this close to the draft?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 04-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #68
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
dang no draft talk this close to the draft?
I'm betting RG3 turns out to be a better QB than Luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #69
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm betting RG3 turns out to be a better QB than Luck.
I doubt it, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

The NFL is set up to be a passing league, with put a skirt on the QB. and Manning, Brady, etc. rules.

When a QB comes in that is athletic and can run.....they usually get killed along the way and get in a bad habit of taking too long trying to make plays instead of managing the game and coming back for another play. Ex: Cunningham, Vick, Tebow, McNabb etc

QB's that are passers first but can run a little -- excel sometimes though. See Staubach, Young, Elway, Montana

All QB's listed above are excellent QB's, IMO -- it is just that the ones taking the fewer hits seem to excel much better.
---------------------------------------------------
RG3, might be the next great thing, and Luck may bust but as of right now -- I think the odds are in Luck's favor.

JMO

Old 04-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #70
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

188 pound 5'11 corner back that scored a 4 on the wanderluc for two top picks. Well done Jerry. I hate myself for even turning the draft on.

Last edited by Ninkobei; 04-26-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #71
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

As long as he can cover, I couldn't care less about his wonderlic score. Exciting draft for cowboys so far.

Last edited by jleefilled; 04-26-2012 at 09:39 PM.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #72
Underdog

Quote:
Cowboys Move Up 8 Spots For LSU Corner

IRVING, Texas - Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has notoriously been one who has moved down to collect picks in past drafts.
But he went the other way here in the early part of the 2012 draft, moving up eight spots to No. 6 to take LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne.

To get the pick, the Cowboys sent the Rams their 14th overall pick and the 45th pick in the second round. If it stands pat, the Cowboys won't have another pick until Friday night when they draft in the third round (81st overall).

Claiborne (6-0, 190) is the first defensive back taken off the board and should be an instant starter or at least major contributor despite the Cowboys already having Mike Jenkins, Orlando Scandrick and newly-acquired free agent Brandon Carr.

The Cowboys released Terence Newman back in March, seemingly to make room for Carr, who signed a five-year, $50.1 million contract. But it now it appears Claiborne could slide into the top spot. He becomes not only the first defensive player taken in this draft, but the highest cornerback, or any player for that matter, the Cowboys have drafted since Newman, who went fifth overall in 2003.

Claiborne is also one of the top kick and punt returners in the draft.

What was recently a position of weakness is now a position of strength...

Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #73
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Apparently, he's a huge cowboys fan. He cried when he heard the cowboys were drafting him. Can't wait for the season to start already!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hzI2BCNyl8
Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #74
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled View Post
Apparently, he's a huge cowboys fan. He cried when he heard the cowboys were drafting him. Can't wait for the season to start already!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hzI2BCNyl8
That's what I'm talkin' about! What a masterstroke of genius by the front office on this one. They snagged the #1 defensive player in the draft!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #75
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
That's what I'm talkin' about! What a masterstroke of genius by the front office on this one. They snagged the #1 defensive player in the draft!
Yep, Jerry Jones (Rob Ryan) showing some sack with that pick!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #76
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Pick 6. I think this moniker will stick.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #77
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I love it!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #78
Underdog

Quote:
zing!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #79
jleefilled
Platinum Member

I can't take credit for that nickname though. I read it over at btb. I thought it was awesome.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #80
chumdawg
Guru

How long until we trade back up? I have to think it's coming soon.