Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #121
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's back to running. I've done a few things over the past few months to stay in decent shape, but ... I find that I really only stay in the shape that I want to stay in if I'm running 5+ times a week. So, I'm back at it this week. I haven't ran much since February... 2-2.5 months off and you can definitely tell.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #122
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Did I know you ran a marathon?! Where have I been for the past 6 years?

With all of the injuries, ever considered going paleo? MarksdailyApple has some thoughts on that, if you get curious. I keep saying I'm going to look into it, but haven't made time.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #123
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

These days, I'm trying to stick to a routine with my eating...
Lunch - a salad for lunch every day.. Romaine lettuce (sometimes a little spinach), grilled chicken, tomatoes, onions, carrots, oil and vinegar dressing (salad always for lunch during the week)
Dinner - usually something grilled chicken breast related along with whatever veggie (usually broccoli, baked sweet potatoe fries or asparagus).. and maybe some rice or a bread.
Breakfast - a banana, carrots, peanuts, apple

Snacks
Fruits - mostly apples and bananas.. but also cantaloupe, watermelon, blueberries, strawberries and oranges. I pretty much eat a banana and an apple every day
Veggies - I'll eat carrots and tomatoes for snacks throughout the day. I'm trying to knock off a couple of Roma tomatoes every day during the work week (two as snacks and then whatever's on my salad as well).
Nuts - sunflower seeds or peanuts
Beans - I'll knock down a serving of pinto beans as a snack during the day usually in the mornings

Right now, I do allow myself a couple of cheat meals. I'll usually get pizza on Friday nights and maybe Chinesse on Sundays. For the most part, I'm eating pretty well (much better compared to a few months back).

I don't know if I could go full paleo.. I'm leaning towards that with the majority of my diet, but I can't quite commit 100% full time.

As for what I drink..well, I mostly drink water and unsweet tea. However, I do sneak the occasional Dr. Pepper which I need to cut out entirely. But, some habits die hard. I'm currently on a stretch of doing without Dr. Pepper. Sometimes I do put about 1/3rd of a cup of cane sugar into my gallon of tea just to give it a touch of sweetness.

I'm eating better.. I just need to keep it going. A big accomplishment for me is greatly reducing the amount of sunflower seeds that I eat. I just needed to lessen the sodium intake. It was a huge eye opener one day when I went out for a run in the morning.. had a bag of seeds.. went out for a run at about 3:00 on a hot day and had another bag of seeds on my way home from work.. well, when I got home from work, my lower legs were swollen. Obviously, it freaked me out a bit. The doctor just said that it can happen after you work out on a hot day and take in too much sodium. So, that was pretty much it for my eating of seeds. I've had that habit for 30 years. They're my favorite food, but they're out the door for the most part.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #124
Murphy3
Guru

About the injuries.. It's odd.. I never really had much until I turned 32 or so.. I suppose most of them have had to do with something other than distance running.. such as basketball or softball. But, I did have some abdominal issues due to running. I suppose I just need to tone it down a bit with some of the other sports that I sometimes play... or at least go half speed a little more often.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #125
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

By paleo, i mean the workouts. (You probably know more about their eating routine than I do. It sure sounds like you've got a good menu going there.) I don't know if all paleo plans are similar when it comes to workouts, but supposedly Mark's is less prone to injury.

Ever tried stevia for sweetener in tea? I'm talking good quality stuff- not powders, & not the kind you find in a grocery store. I use flavored ones from health food stores in fruit smoothies, & hear some people use a rootbeer flavor (or maybe it's cola, etc.) in carbonated water to give them the soda type fix. I still use real sugar in coffee & honey in hot tea though.

So you ate roasted & salted sunflower seeds? Could you roast your own & use a high quality sea salt? Pink hymalayan or celtic gray? A good sea salt actually helps prevent swelling - got to keep those sodium-potassium pumps going in your cells. The salt we all grew up on (& is in everything) is a cheap chemical by comparison. But you've got to look into it yourself, if you feel like it. & I'm no medical expert either.

You are right, the long-term, lifestyle aspect of it will be what makes it all work toward your goal. I hope you find joy & energy in your path.

Last edited by Smiles; 05-19-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #126
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The paleo diet is actually really really bad for you. The idea is sound, and if we had the ability to actually recreate the natural diet during that era it would probably be really healthy but what is marketed as the paleo diet now isn't good for you
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #127
Murphy3
Guru

I'm not really into the whole following a diet set forth by someone else... I can't stick to it. I try and eat alot of fruits and veggies.. and trying not to put too much other crap in my body such as fried foods, red meat..
sometimes I succeed..sometimes I don't.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #128
Murphy3
Guru

Well, I went around 6 on Saturday. That's a long way to go running on a track in which each lap is 1/11th of a mile. I'm lucky I didn't get dizzy.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #129
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
By paleo, i mean the workouts. (You probably know more about their eating routine than I do. It sure sounds like you've got a good menu going there.) I don't know if all paleo plans are similar when it comes to workouts, but supposedly Mark's is less prone to injury.

Ever tried stevia for sweetener in tea? I'm talking good quality stuff- not powders, & not the kind you find in a grocery store. I use flavored ones from health food stores in fruit smoothies, & hear some people use a rootbeer flavor (or maybe it's cola, etc.) in carbonated water to give them the soda type fix. I still use real sugar in coffee & honey in hot tea though.

So you ate roasted & salted sunflower seeds? Could you roast your own & use a high quality sea salt? Pink hymalayan or celtic gray? A good sea salt actually helps prevent swelling - got to keep those sodium-potassium pumps going in your cells. The salt we all grew up on (& is in everything) is a cheap chemical by comparison. But you've got to look into it yourself, if you feel like it. & I'm no medical expert either.

You are right, the long-term, lifestyle aspect of it will be what makes it all work toward your goal. I hope you find joy & energy in your path.
Yeah, I eat the roasted and salted seeds... I had never had an issue like that before.. But, all was fine very shortly after just elevating my feet for a few minutes.

As for Stevia..don't know that I've ever heard of that.. Celtic gray..I should have known something "Celtic" related would make its way into the conversation.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #130
Murphy3
Guru

5.5 miles this morning..or, estimated 5.5 miles. Hard to tell exactly when on a trail.. There are some markers so I know it was more than 5 but less than 6. I believe it was right around 5.5. I'm going to start a new program just until I get back to the target rate.

5-6 miles in the mornings Monday through Thursday
3 miles at lunch Monday through Friday
9-12 miles Saturday morning.

Sunday will be a day off.. Friday will be a partial day off.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #131
Murphy3
Guru

Ok... the death march continues
Yesterday, 5.5 miles in the morning and 3 miles at lunch
Today, 5 miles in the morning... (i'm going to have to start running at the local indoor track.... my hilly neighborhood is a bit tough to do each day... just wears on the legs).
3 miles at lunch

Last edited by Murphy3; 05-23-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #132
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
5.5 miles this morning..or, estimated 5.5 miles. Hard to tell exactly when on a trail.. There are some markers so I know it was more than 5 but less than 6. I believe it was right around 5.5. I'm going to start a new program just until I get back to the target rate.

5-6 miles in the mornings Monday through Thursday
3 miles at lunch Monday through Friday
9-12 miles Saturday morning.

Sunday will be a day off.. Friday will be a partial day off.
Thats impressive. What pace do you run at?
Old 05-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #133
Murphy3
Guru

Slow, slower and slowest...

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure. Right now, I'm just concentrating on getting the runs in mostly because I live in a very hilly area. If I were to worry about my times, I'd either kill my legs pushing it to much or I'd just burn myself out completely. So, I'm just getting the distance in while ignoring the time.

But, when I run on a flatter surface, it all depends upon the length of the run or the logic behind the run. There are many different types of runs: intervals, hills, slow and easy, recovery, goal pace runs, compound sets, progressive runs, tempo, fartlek's and so on.

I generally keep to: intervals, slow and easy, hills, tempo, progressive runs, recovery or goal pace runs.

My favorite to do on a treadmill is the progressive run. You start out at a nice and easy pace while slowly speeding up as the run goes along.

However, right now I'm running pretty much hill runs in the mornings and a combination of slow and easy and progressive during the day.

As for my pace..when I actually time myself, I usually will run the progressive runs starting out at about 6.5mph and work my way up to 8 mph. My progressive runs are usually 5+ miles. But right now, my middle of the day run is 3 miles and it's a combination of slow and easy/progressive. With my hill run in the morning, I don't want to push it too much during the day. I'm mostly just running in the day to get to my goal weight quicker and because it breaks up the day at the office for me.

And by the way.. no one will recommend doing what I'm doing. I'm not sure that I would recommend it either. I just had a few lab results come back from the doctor that was too close to the top end of the normal range.. .so, I'm kicking it up a notch and I need to drop a few pounds.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #134
Murphy3
Guru

I fell off the wagon today and had to miss my morning and lunch time runs. So, I thought I'd just get 9-10 miles in tonight especially since Friday mornings I'm free from running.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #135
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that you deliberately changed your stride from a shorter mid-foot strike to a longer heel strike... that's the exact opposite of what barefoot runners and ultramarthoners are trying to get people to do these days. Supposedly shorter strides and mid/forefoot strike lessens injury, though research has deemed this claim inconclusive.

I generally hate running, but am currently listening to "Born to Run" on tape on recommendation and loan from a coworker, and it's sort of making me think I might be willing to change my mind about that.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #136
Murphy3
Guru

Iella,and legs. I don't know the science behind it...just know what feels better for my feet
Old 05-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #137
Smiles
Diamond Member

I'm falling into the barefooters camp these days. I didn't know it was a new fad when I first heard about barefoot running being practiced by even "elderly" natives in Mexico (Natgeo & then NPR). It just felt like devine guidance. lol. Then I heard others were trying it. I have New Balance minimus shoes, but I think they were a waste (should've gotten the uber comfy five fingers) because they slightly constrict across the front of my foot. However, they do/did let my feet, legs, knees adapt to being flat on the ground, which is good for starters. I dont run right now though.

When I was running a few years ago, the longer stride with heel strike did lead to a minor injury. There are so many nuances for every runner, but the way I did it was too much impact to one of the smaller muscles that terminates in the hip (can't recall name). My outter 3 toes would feel like they had pins & needles after a few miles, so maybe I was just made for barefoot or the wider spread of the vibrams.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #138
Smiles
Diamond Member

Late night ramblings...

Last edited by Smiles; 05-29-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #139
Five-ofan
Guru

I always go with a longer stride when I do distances above 2 or so miles. I always feel like I have a disadvantage running because I have a large frame but I feel like I'm making up for some of it by using my stride length. I'm currently 6'2 255 and in pretty darn good shape to be that light. I'm going to try to get down below 230 by October in order to do the tough mudder in Austin I already signed up for but I may need to drop a lil upper body muscle to do that
Old 05-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #140
Murphy3
Guru

The last time I saw someone running bare foot outside, they had to be taken to the hospital because their feet had literally blistered so badly from the heat that the balls of his feet burst open... not just a tiny portion of the ball of his feet..all the way across his feet.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #141
|_Jeff_|

|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about

Just read the whole thread going back several years.

I agree that running is the best way to get fit and stay fit. Habitual running, not a 2-month plan then back to normal habits. No barefoot running, that's a bad idea IMO. Maintaining 30-40 miles per week barefooted you'll be injured quickly unless you are lightweight, don't overpronate/supinate, are conditioned for it, and have relatively soft surfaces. "Fad" is a good way to describe it.

I'm getting back in shape now, too. Up to 3 miles per day 4 times per week plus some spinning on the stationary bike when the weather's bad. "In shape" is a relative term, not trying to get back to 16-minute 5K level, just get back (and hopefully stay) in the daily habit of cardio whether running or spinning.

Keep it up.
|_Jeff_| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #142
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by |_Jeff_| View Post
No barefoot running, that's a bad idea IMO. Maintaining 30-40 miles per week barefooted you'll be injured quickly unless you are lightweight, don't overpronate/supinate, are conditioned for it, and have relatively soft surfaces. "Fad" is a good way to describe it.
Seeing as how humans were running barefoot or with thin-soled sandals for thousands of years before athletic shoe companies came by and saved us all, I think it would be more accurate to describe running shoes as a "fad." Not trying to pick a fight, and I certainly don't have a horse in this race, just food for thought.

Edit: I think it goes back to what murph said: "just know what feels better for my feet." You just have to do what works for you. I've been trying a mid/forefoot strike with a shorter stride for awhile, and it definitely feels like less stress on my arch. Still wearing shoes, but relying less on the heel. All I'm saying is, don't rule something out before you've tried it a few times.

Last edited by iella; 05-29-2012 at 10:46 AM.
iella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #143
Murphy3
Guru

People were smarter back before there were running shoes.. Not as many of them just went out and ran 15 miles just for the fun of it. Plus, those that did probably weren't 6'2, 210 pounds. But yeah, the running without shoes thing works for some. There's no way that it would work for me. I'll always remember brother's feet blistering so badly that they popped open like a bubble..

I was actually thankful for the monsoon this morning. My alarm went off at 5:00.. I didn't want to get up. Thankfully there was a category 1 hurricane outside... gave me an excuse to get an extra hour of sleep.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #144
|_Jeff_|

|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by iella View Post
Seeing as how humans were running barefoot or with thin-soled sandals for thousands of years before athletic shoe companies came by and saved us all, I think it would be more accurate to describe running shoes as a "fad." Not trying to pick a fight, and I certainly don't have a horse in this race, just food for thought.

Edit: I think it goes back to what murph said: "just know what feels better for my feet." You just have to do what works for you. I've been trying a mid/forefoot strike with a shorter stride for awhile, and it definitely feels like less stress on my arch. Still wearing shoes, but relying less on the heel. All I'm saying is, don't rule something out before you've tried it a few times.
Our barefoot running ancestors weren't running 50-100 miles/week on concrete and asphalt surfaces. And their life span was about 35 years.

If a person is running for fitness and/or competition in the current era then good shoes - the right shoes for that particluar human's gait - is a requirement. Even Kenyan and Ethiopian runners that grew up running without shoes are converting and lacing them up to be able to compete and run the miles required without injury. Those of us with less perfect biomechanics need the right kind of shoe even more.

I like barefoot running on the beach from time-to-time but a consistent 30-mile week without shoes equals injury. YMMV.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
|_Jeff_| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #145
Murphy3
Guru

Ok, my boss just rode his bike (bicycle) in to work. It's about 28 miles which isn't ridiculous.. but it's from Keller to Irving. I don't feel quite as good about my run this morning.. especially since he has the added bonus of riding back home. I just cannot imagine riding through the traffic in this area. It's insane.

I suppose I need to kick it up a notch.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #146
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
I'm falling into the barefooters camp these days. I didn't know it was a new fad when I first heard about barefoot running being practiced by even "elderly" natives in Mexico (Natgeo & then NPR). It just felt like devine guidance. lol. Then I heard others were trying it. I have New Balance minimus shoes, but I think they were a waste (should've gotten the uber comfy five fingers) because they slightly constrict across the front of my foot. However, they do/did let my feet, legs, knees adapt to being flat on the ground, which is good for starters. I dont run right now though.

When I was running a few years ago, the longer stride with heel strike did lead to a minor injury. There are so many nuances for every runner, but the way I did it was too much impact to one of the smaller muscles that terminates in the hip (can't recall name). My outter 3 toes would feel like they had pins & needles after a few miles, so maybe I was just made for barefoot or the wider spread of the vibrams.
Are you still running?
Old 08-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #147
RichKiddey

RichKiddey is on a distinguished road

I hope he is..
Old 03-08-2021, 12:03 AM   #148
Smiles
Diamond Member

Quote:
Are you still running?
Nooo, not currently. I did not make good use of the past year in the fitness department. I also taught the kids how to bake & did my fair share of bread making. Thankfully we quit most of that by the end of the summer, but I haven’t really gotten back on track enough to undo the consequences yet.

Are you running these days?

Last edited by Smiles; 03-08-2021 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:54 PM   #149
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Nooo, not currently. I did not make good use of the past year in the fitness department. I also taught the kids how to bake & did my fair share of bread making. Thankfully we quit most of that by the end of the summer, but I haven’t really gotten back on track enough to undo the consequences yet.

Are you running these days?
I have had so many injuries that I’ve mostly stopped running. I have a long history of plantar fasciitis and heel Spurs dating back to when I was 13 years old. A few years back I started getting shin splints any time I’d try to ramp up the running..., and then I tore my calf muscle at Urban Air... that knocked me out for a bit.. so I haven’t done as much running here recently. I am almost certain that my running days will have severe negative impact on my mobility 30-40 years from now.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:46 PM   #150
Smiles
Diamond Member

Quote:
I have had so many injuries that I’ve mostly stopped running. I have a long history of plantar fasciitis and heel Spurs dating back to when I was 13 years old. A few years back I started getting shin splints any time I’d try to ramp up the running..., and then I tore my calf muscle at Urban Air... that knocked me out for a bit.. so I haven’t done as much running here recently. I am almost certain that my running days will have severe negative impact on my mobility 30-40 years from now.
Oh no, that’s no good. I hope it will be easy & affordable to get stem cell injections or something “regenerative” before then. It’s wild what happens in the course of our lifetimes.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #151
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Oh no, that’s no good. I hope it will be easy & affordable to get stem cell injections or something “regenerative” before then. It’s wild what happens in the course of our lifetimes.
Yeah, so I just do different workouts. I do a couple of kickboxing workouts.... battle ropes.. lift.. sometimes I will use the elliptical.. plus I do a lot of chopping wood as a workout and will breakout the sledgehammer and hammer away at a tire.

Tags
how about these nuts, murphy3