Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #41
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
And seeing how OJ is younger, quicker, more athletic, a better ball handler than Terry, yet not a selfish player, that is exciting.

I see OJ as being giddy to play 2nd fiddle to the Big German...and some nights (as with Terry) getting to shine as the #1 option.

AWESOME
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #42
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

worth noting: Mavs out rebounded the Knicks by 5 last night.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #43
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thetwomangame.com/2012/11...-new-york-111/
Old 11-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #44
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
great stuff, BG!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #45
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

There's going to be a point where other teams figure out that when the Mavs are playing D that putting Kaman and Collison in the PNR is very high % basketball. I hate seeing those guys on the floor at the same time on D.

Woodson figured this out pretty quick.

Last edited by vinylstar; 11-22-2012 at 12:13 PM.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #46
dallasmavsnews

dallasmavsnews is on a distinguished road

Here's a recap for the game: dallasmavsnews.com
Old 11-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #47
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylstar View Post
There's going to be a point where other teams figure out that when the Mavs are playing D that putting Kaman and Collison in the PNR is very high % basketball. I hate seeing those guys on the floor at the same time on D.

Woodson figured this out pretty quick.
Teams have already figured that out. It started in either the Wizards or Timberwolves game and it has got worse with each game.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #48
tron#1

tron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nice

Tried to tell you guys before the season mayo was the real deal. All I heard in here was he is a 6th man and he might be able to average 15 ppg. Believe me if dallas let's this guy go he is getting max from someone else. It's not just the talent.... It's the work ethic, humbleness, and the boy hasn't been hurt in his career... Knock on wood. He is the real deal. And something you guys have to remember. He isn't taking 20+ shots a game he is doing all of this on between 10-15 shots per game.
tron#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #49
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I was at the game have a few thoughts. I know iv harped on Murphy a lot and I know he had a good game Monday but good lord is he awful. He was the worst player on the court and he played 18 minutes in the first half. He's awfule. Yes he had 5 rebounds but only one of them was even remotely contested. That one was the only remotely positive thing he did on the court in 18 minutes. Id really love to know what wright did to Carlisle.

That being said aside from submitting to Murphy's blackmail, damn Carlisle is a good coach. The play that got crowder the open three was just amazing.

Mayo looked great and honestly I was as impressed with his floor game as I was with his scoring. I'm also convinced he will go great with dirk. He got brand a least 5 wide open 10-16 foot jumpers that brand just wouldn't take. I realize teams will defend it different with dirk but that will just give mayo more room to score.

Vince was awesome but you can tell that occassionally he has plays where he tries to use his legs and they just aren't there...

Kaman had a tough matchup and obviously skilled but good lord is he a defensive liability. If he doesn't get better as he gets healthier the talk about dirk playing with a scoring center won't matter because we won't be able to play them together.

The Knicks have no business complaining about the calls.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #50
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron#1 View Post
Tried to tell you guys before the season mayo was the real deal. All I heard in here was he is a 6th man and he might be able to average 15 ppg. Believe me if dallas let's this guy go he is getting max from someone else. It's not just the talent.... It's the work ethic, humbleness, and the boy hasn't been hurt in his career... Knock on wood. He is the real deal. And something you guys have to remember. He isn't taking 20+ shots a game he is doing all of this on between 10-15 shots per game.
Calm down... No way he gets the max somewhere!
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #51
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
James Harden laughs at this.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #52
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
James Harden laughs at this.
You think Harden is the same player Mayo is?

Of course he does not deserve the max, too!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #53
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #54
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nice stuff BG, I love the quoteboard. Going to the nba.com
Or Mavs.com sites beat me to death.

I very much liked hearing the players talking about listening to Carlisle. He will put them in a good position.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #55
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
worth noting: Mavs out rebounded the Knicks by 5 last night.
Yeah, but the Knicks aren't exactly a juggernaut in terms of rebounding. It would have been even worse of a situation if they didn't do well there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Thanks
Old 11-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #56
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Yeah, but the Knicks aren't exactly a juggernaut in terms of rebounding. It would have been even worse of a situation if they didn't do well there.
Guess who else isn't a rebounding juggernaut? Your Dallas Mavs. I'll take an advantage when one can be had, brotha.

At this point, out rebounding the Pismo Beach Panthers is something.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #57
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Guess who else isn't a rebounding juggernaut? Your Dallas Mavs. I'll take an advantage when one can be had, brotha.

At this point, out rebounding the Pismo Beach Panthers is something.
Rick definitely wasn't impressed or thought it was something in terms of being impressive that they won the rebounding advantage, for the reasons mentioned earlier.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 11-22-2012 at 11:43 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:40 AM   #58
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
It really is kind of ridiculous how poorly designed NBA.com and all the official team sites are.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:56 AM   #59
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
It really is kind of ridiculous how poorly designed NBA.com and all the official team sites are.
I don't know who is doing NBA.com, but EVERYONE hates the new design they rolled out.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:50 AM   #60
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't know who is doing NBA.com, but EVERYONE hates the new design they rolled out.
Ten tons of GAY!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #61
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Rick definitely wasn't impressed or thought it was something in terms of being impressive that they won the rebounding advantage, for the reasons mentioned earlier.
He said that he wasn't impressed with out rebounding the Knicks bc they aren't a good rebounding team? Or did someone specifically ask him about it?

Or are you simply saying that Rick didn't take the time to mention out rebounding them?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #62
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
He said that he wasn't impressed with out rebounding the Knicks bc they aren't a good rebounding team? Or did someone specifically ask him about it?

Or are you simply saying that Rick didn't take the time to mention out rebounding them?
He was asked about if he was pleased about winning the rebounding battle and the first thing he mentioned was the fact that NY isn't a very good rebounding team.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #63
tron#1

tron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nice

Quote:
obviously you havent watched a lot of basketball say the past 5-7 years. Joe Johnson one of the worst contracts in the league a Max contract he averaged like 17ppg the year before he got that contract. if mayo keeps this up believe me a couple franchises will come with max offers.
tron#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #64
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
obviously you havent watched a lot of basketball say the past 5-7 years. Joe Johnson one of the worst contracts in the league a Max contract he averaged like 17ppg the year before he got that contract. if mayo keeps this up believe me a couple franchises will come with max offers.
Johnson averaged 21.3 ppg on 46% fg shooting and 39% 3pt shooting the season before his max offer. Still, I see your point. OJ could very well get such an offer. Early though...early.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #65
Kante
Diamond Member

Quote:
Johnson, obviously overpaid, was very good 2-3 years in Atlanta. Led them to multiple PO apperances (no success there) but he was very, very good. Better than Mayo. If Mayo keeps it up, we will all be happy, but no max offer for him i would say/suggest.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #66
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Johnson, obviously overpaid, was very good 2-3 years in Atlanta. Led them to multiple PO apperances (no success there) but he was very, very good. Better than Mayo. If Mayo keeps it up, we will all be happy, but no max offer for him i would say/suggest.
Keep in mind that the "max" for Mayo is not going to even remotely approach what Joe Johnson received, or even what Deron received last year. As a fifth year player, and a player that no team has Bird rights on, his "max" is going to be about 4 years and 58 million (the actual numbers will change slightly based on what happens to the cap next year).

Considering that DeMarr Derozan just got 4/40, Ty Lawson just got 4/48, and Stephen Curry just got 4/44, I'm not sure it's completely insane that Mayo would get 4/58 on the open market if he ends the season around 20ppg with efficient shooting numbers and signs that he can help shoulder the scoring load for a legit playoff team.

A lot of ifs and we're certainly being premature with this discussion, but I don't think it's completely out of the question that it could happen.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #67
Kante
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Keep in mind that the "max" for Mayo is not going to even remotely approach what Joe Johnson received, or even what Deron received last year. As a fifth year player, and a player that no team has Bird rights on, his "max" is going to be about 4 years and 58 million (the actual numbers will change slightly based on what happens to the cap next year).

Considering that DeMarr Derozan just got 4/40, Ty Lawson just got 4/48, and Stephen Curry just got 4/44, I'm not sure it's completely insane that Mayo would get 4/58 on the open market if he ends the season around 20ppg with efficient shooting numbers and signs that he can help shoulder the scoring load for a legit playoff team.

A lot of ifs and we're certainly being premature with this discussion, but I don't think it's completely out of the question that it could happen.
Ahhh, "this" max can happen i believe. tron was talking about the "other" max i assume, though.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #68
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Johnson may have had a good year prior to signing his max contract, yet his deal still raised some eyebrows, and rightfully so. $119 million over six years--that's insane for a then-29-year-old player like Johnson. Someone with that type of contract needs to be a constant difference maker, not just "very good."

As jthig pointed out, players are overpaid all the time. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if Mayo, presuming he can continue to play at his current level, got a max contract offer or something along those lines.

I'd be happier, though, if we could re-sign OJ with a contract in the $10-12 million range. That number sounds more reasonable and wouldn't affect our flexibility too badly. It's also worth noting that there are better and more accomplished players like Rondo and Tony Parker whose salary is right in that neighborhood and not in max territory.

Just wondering, could we offer Mayo a fifth year?
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #69
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Thus far (and obviously it is still very early and this will probably change), the only Nets player who's looked worthy of his max contract is Brook Lopez. Who saw that coming?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #70
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Thus far (and obviously it is still very early and this will probably change), the only Nets player who's looked worthy of his max contract is Brook Lopez. Who saw that coming?
That is what makes pro sports fun. Unexpected things often arise from nowhere...like Mayo being a top 10-15 player so far. Unfortunately for the Nets, all of their money is tied up with the wrong players (well at the very least Johnson and Wallace). But hey, the Russian can pay the bills so there it is.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #71
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger View Post
Just wondering, could we offer Mayo a fifth year?
No, he can't get a fifth year from anybody.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #72
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Mayo just doesn't impress me as a max player. I'm not sure his skills will be nearly so evident when his 3pt percentage falls back to earth. There is no way he stays at 54% for the year. Once that percentage drops back to earth his other issues will be seen. I can see him getting a good contract if he manages to shore up his defense but nothing near his max..
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote