Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Michael Schumacher in critical condition

Tragic...hope he survives...

Quote:
10:21 a.m. CST, December 30, 2013

GRENOBLE, France—
Seven-time Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher was fighting for his life on Monday after suffering severe head injuries in a skiing accident in the French Alps resort of Meribel, doctors said

"We can say that his condition is life-threatening," Jean-Francois Payen, head anesthetician at the CHU hospital in the eastern French city of Grenoble, told a news conference

"For the moment we cannot say what Michael Schumacher's future is," he added. "We are working round the clock - we are trying to win time."

The retired motor racing great, 44, slammed his head on a rock while skiing off-piste on Sunday morning in the French Alpine resort where he has a vacation home.

"His helmet did of course protect him at least partly. Someone who had suffered a similar accident without a helmet would not have made it here (to the hospital)," Payen said.

Schumacher was initially conscious as he was transported to a local hospital in Moutiers and then to Grenoble. However, his condition deteriorated sharply afterwards.

Neurosurgeon Stephan Chabardes said an emergency brain scan carried out on Schumacher had revealed internal bleeding and injuries including contusions and lesions. He said they had operated to treat the internal bleeding.

Doctors said Schumacher had been placed in an artificial coma but, contrary to an earlier French media report, said they had not carried out a second operation during the night and were not planning any further interventions at this stage.

A spokesman for German Chancellor Angela Merkel said she was shocked to hear the news.

"We hope that he overcomes his injuries and can recover," the spokesman told a regular briefing in Berlin.

'I'm praying for God to protect you, brother!'

Support has been pouring in for Schumacher from friends to world leaders.

A spokesman for German chancellor Angela Merkel told a briefing: "We hope that he overcomes his injuries and can recover."

World F1 champion Sebastian Vettel told German media: "I am shocked and I hope that he will get better as quickly as possible. I now wish his family a lot of strength."

Former Benetton team mate Martin Brundle told Sky TV: "He's only a year out of the F1 cockpit but as a driven and competitive person you can't simply switch off and settle down at the end of a long career, you need challenges and achievements to keep the adrenalin flowing. But from what I read he wasn't taking undue risks on the ski slopes, and it seems he's been very unlucky on this one. The need for machinery and speed will always be there, it's inevitable. When I read that Michael had received a blow to the right side of his head I couldn't help but think of Ayrton (Senna), and pondered why these things so often happen to the truly great. I sincerely hope and expect of course that this incident has a much happier ending, and I feel sure that his competitive determination and fitness will give him the best chance."

Schumacher's former team Ferrari: "Everyone at Ferrari has been in a state of anxiety since hearing about Michael Schumacher's accident."

Felipe Massa, 2008 F1 world champion, on Twitter: "I'm praying for God to protect you, brother!"

Former F1 driver David Coulthard told the BBC: "As I know Michael from the racetrack, there is no question in my mind that he has the physical ability to take on this challenge. The greatest challenge of his life."

Double F1 world champion Fernando Alonso on Twitter: "Get well soon Michael! Hope to hear some positive news very soon! #strongman"

Former Jordan and HRT driver Narain Karthikeyan on Twitter: "Terrible to hear about M Schumacher's skiing injury. If anyone can pull through this it's you."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2225915.story

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

very sad. one of the greatest athletes that most Americans have never heard of.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Freak accident. He risks his life racing cars and motorcycles for decades and then hits a rock on a slope where hundreds of skiers play every day. Wasn't even at high speed, they say. His career was blemished by a few incidents on the race course where he tried to bend the rules to win, but overall he has been a role model of an athlete. Very hard working, highly intelligent, always grateful to his team and the people around him, and super generous when donating money to charity.

Hope he recovers soon.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote