Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-10-2003, 12:39 AM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Draft NFL fantasy

I am sure some of the sports fanatics here are investing some money into the upcoming football season. I was wondering if anyone is interested in sharing their thoughts on their top picks.

The league I have joined has 17 players to pick and starting lineups include

1 QB, 2RB, 1TE, 2 WR and 1 Defense
Old 08-10-2003, 08:46 AM   #2
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Just done with my draft last night,

Got Deuce, C. Garner, Bettis,
Warners, Maddox,
Horns, C. Chambers, K. Johnson, Josh Reed.
Chad Lewis,
Morten Anderson
Texan Defense
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:11 AM   #3
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

I always go with a running back with my first pick, this year i tried my best to pick LaDainian Tomlinson,Ricky Williams, Priest Holmes, Clinton Portis ,Marshall Faulk, or Shaun Alexander.

#1 pick at RB = Priest Holmes (if 100 percent healthy , if not, then LaDainian Tomlinson)

#1 pick at Qb = Rich Gannon , the amount of times he throws the ball, with all the completitions/Td's he makes, hard not to take him as a
#1 QB

#1 pick at WR = Marvin Harrison , last season spoke for itself

#1 pick at TE = Tony Gonzalez , of course

#1 defense = Tampa Bay

This is the team i drafted....

QB - Rich Gannon
RB - Clinton Portis , Corey Dillion
WR - Jimmy Smith, Donald Driver, Troy Brown
TE - Shannon Sharpe

Defense - COWBOYSSS
Old 08-10-2003, 10:35 AM   #4
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
[i]
QB - Rich Gannon
RB - Clinton Portis , Corey Dillion
WR - Jimmy Smith, Donald Driver, Troy Brown
TE - Shannon Sharpe

Defense - COWBOYSSS
I like your picks of WRs. Troy Brown is very good.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:47 PM   #5
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Dirk41= konsesjonen is on a distinguished road

This isn't what I've drafted, but who I would if I could

QB: Gannon
RB: Holmes and Faulk
WR: Harrison and Owens
TE: Tony Gonzalez
Defense: TB
Dirk41= konsesjonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:54 PM   #6
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

I have my two drafts coming up later in the year. I am 0-4 over the past 2 years in my leagues. I am hoping one of my teams comes through this year. The draft is the best part of the season. One of the leagues I am in will have 14 teams this year. I have never been in a league so big. Old college friends.....it is a great way to keep in touch with friends from the past.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 01:09 PM   #7
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

I think Troy Brown is very underrated, hes the main reason that the Patriots are where they are. He's a good sleeper pick in many leagues, I think i got him in the 7th round of the draft.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:12 PM   #8
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirk41= konsesjonen
This isn't what I've drafted, but who I would if I could

QB: Gannon
RB: Holmes and Faulk
WR: Harrison and Owens
TE: Tony Gonzalez
Defense: TB
That will be a dream team. I doubt you either of holmes or faulk would go into the second round for you to have a chance to have both.

Old 08-10-2003, 09:00 PM   #9
DNNF
Golden Member

Holmes and faulks are top 5 picks. No way one team could get both. Unless you are playing with a bunch of beginner who always pick Qb in the first two rounds. rbs are rare commoditiy in fantasy football.

I got the 8th pick in the 1st round and landed Deuce McCalister, then my second round, I picked up Garner since no other back are left. I like Garner since he is two dimensional. My 3rd round, I landed Warner (it's a gamble).

Gotta try to take RBs in the first two rounds if you could

Old 08-10-2003, 09:02 PM   #10
DNNF
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chicago JK
I have my two drafts coming up later in the year. I am 0-4 over the past 2 years in my leagues. I am hoping one of my teams comes through this year. The draft is the best part of the season. One of the leagues I am in will have 14 teams this year. I have never been in a league so big. Old college friends.....it is a great way to keep in touch with friends from the past.
Same here. Our league is a 12 team league with a $1200 pot. ($100.00 each). It's all among old college friends. It's a fun thing to do and try to kill time at work[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-10-2003, 09:36 PM   #11
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Default RE: Draft NFL fantasy

Like I said, I DON'T have this team, lol. I was just saying if i could have anyyy team, thats who'd I have.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:46 PM   #12
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

Last year I had Gannon, Faulk & Owens..
I didn't have any idea who any of them were, but I had them.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:12 PM   #13
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i play in a 14 team all money league, so the depth is pretty thin. this year my fantasy team is:

QB: bledsoe, mark brunell
RB: ricky williams, corey dillon, antwain smith, larry johnson, thomas jones
wr: hines ward, lauvernes coles, antonio bryant, travis taylor, dennis northcutt, dez white
te: frank wycheck
def: new orleans
k: sebastian janikowski

i tend to grab all RBs and WRs in the first few rounds. this year there were plenty of QBs that i thought could put up pretty similar numbers outside of vick and mcnabb, so i waited until the 5th round to grab bledsoe. he's an absolute steal for a guy who threw for 4300 yards and 24 TDs last year. i wait until almost the very end to draft TE's because outside of the top 3, the rest all put up pathetic numbers. its better to grab better players at WR and RB than to pick a TE who puts up marginal numbers compared to RBs and WRs. i waited until after the 9th rd to pick up my D and K.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:18 PM   #14
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
i play in a 14 team all money league, so the depth is pretty thin. this year my fantasy team is:

wr: hines ward, lauvernes coles, antonio bryant, travis taylor, dennis northcutt, dez white

i tend to grab all RBs and WRs in the first few rounds. this year there were plenty of QBs that i thought could put up pretty similar numbers outside of vick and mcnabb, so i waited until the 5th round to grab bledsoe. he's an absolute steal for a guy who threw for 4300 yards and 24 TDs last year. i wait until almost the very end to draft TE's because outside of the top 3, the rest all put up pathetic numbers. its better to grab better players at WR and RB than to pick a TE who puts up marginal numbers compared to RBs and WRs. i waited until after the 9th rd to pick up my D and K.
That is a pretty darn good team for a 14 team league. I would be happy with that team in a 10 team league. Maybe lacking depth after the first 2 running backs, but two excellent starters. Really like the recievers. Ward, Coles and Bryant (if we can get him the ball) should be very productive. Good job.

Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:41 PM   #15
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Quote:

Pretty good team there, pretty damn good aex. Hines Ward will be great, what pick did you take him with?
Old 08-11-2003, 12:45 AM   #16
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

14 team sandbox league. I'm in round 17 out of 20
QB
Tom Brady, NE
Mark Brunell, JAC
RB
Marshall Faulk, STL
Moe Williams, MIN
Jerome Bettis, PIT
Mike Alstott, TB
Troy Hambrick, DAL
WR
Hines Ward, PIT
Laveranues Coles, WAS
Chad Johnson, CIN
Charles Rogers, DET
TE
Doug Jolley, OAK
K
Ryan Longwell, GB
Def Flex
Brian Urlacher, CHI
Derrick Brooks, TB
Roy Williams, DAL
Old 08-11-2003, 07:41 AM   #17
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Quote:
[i]K
Ryan Longwell, GB
Def Flex
Brian Urlacher, CHI
Derrick Brooks, TB
Roy Williams, DAL
Fahq, I do not understand this part. Do you pick few players on defense in your league.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:40 AM   #18
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

sandbox actually uses players on DEF, not team defense.

it's always good to draft LB here as they get a lot of tackles... unless you get a great DE that gets A LOT of sacks.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:22 PM   #19
DNNF
Golden Member

Quote:

How could you pick up Dillon on the late 2nd round in the 14 teams league? That's pretty lucky. Apparently, it seems like you got the top 3 picks of the draft to be able to pick up Ricky Williams.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:07 PM   #20
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i was 3rd. first pick was thomlinson, second pick was priest holmes, and then i picked up ricky. tons of backs were picked between williams and dillon. i think edge james, faulk, deuce, alexander, travis henry, and some others i cant remember.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:31 AM   #21
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

AEX, you picks look good but was NO the only team available when you picked defense.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:30 PM   #22
DNNF
Golden Member

Scrambling defense is the strategy if you don't get one of the solid defensive team in the draft. Last year, I try to get the defesne off the waiver of whichever team play against the cowboys, texans, or bengals. It turned out pretty good.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:42 PM   #23
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

no they werent. i like new orleans. i think they're underrated. they create a lot of turnovers and produce a lot of sacks. their defense isnt terribly bad either. all in all for a 10th or 11th round selection, i think they were a good choice.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:27 PM   #24
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Please don't laugh at me for picking Quincy as my QB but my first QB is Tom Brady.

Carter,Quincy QB DAL
Brady,Tom QB NE
White,Jamel RB CLE
Dunn,Warrick RB ATL
Smith,Emmitt RB ARI
Barber,Tiki RB NYG
Conway,Curtis WR NYJ
Johnson,Andre WR HOU
Moss,Santana WR NYJ
Johnson,Keyshaw WR TB
Owens,Terrell WR SF
Alexander,Steph TE SD
Sharpe,Shannon TE DEN
Reed,Jeff PK PIT
Vinatieri,Adam PK NE
Raiders,Oak DF OAK
Saints,No DF NO
Old 08-31-2003, 04:47 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Please don't laugh at me for picking Quincy as my QB but my first QB is Tom Brady.

Carter,Quincy QB DAL
Brady,Tom QB NE
White,Jamel RB CLE
Dunn,Warrick RB ATL
Smith,Emmitt RB ARI
Barber,Tiki RB NYG
Conway,Curtis WR NYJ
Johnson,Andre WR HOU
Moss,Santana WR NYJ
Johnson,Keyshaw WR TB
Owens,Terrell WR SF
Alexander,Steph TE SD
Sharpe,Shannon TE DEN
Reed,Jeff PK PIT
Vinatieri,Adam PK NE
Raiders,Oak DF OAK
Saints,No DF NO

I'm not laughing. That was brilliant. You have essentially assured yourself of the #1 pick for next season. Genius!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 07:55 PM   #26
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Actually I got him in the 16th round and I needed a QB backup bad for Tom Brady. I had a choice between Carr and Qcar .
Old 08-31-2003, 09:43 PM   #27
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

QB Brady, Tom
QB Favre, Brett
WR Randy Moss
WR Donte Stallworth
WR Darrell Jackson
WR Taylor, Travis
WR Bryant, Antonio
WR Ferguson, Robert
RB LaDanian Tomlinson
RB Corey Dillon
RB William Green
TE Randy McMichael

Dallas
NYG

Martin Gramatica

I drafted this team in a 10 team league. It's in a 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF format.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 11:20 PM   #28
DNNF
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever

Carter,Quincy QB DAL
Brady,Tom QB NE
White,Jamel RB CLE
Dunn,Warrick RB ATL
Smith,Emmitt RB ARI
Barber,Tiki RB NYG
Conway,Curtis WR NYJ
Johnson,Andre WR HOU
Moss,Santana WR NYJ
Johnson,Keyshaw WR TB
Owens,Terrell WR SF
Alexander,Steph TE SD
Sharpe,Shannon TE DEN
Reed,Jeff PK PIT
Vinatieri,Adam PK NE
Raiders,Oak DF OAK
Saints,No DF NO

Man, you better hope Tiki and Jamel carry you through the season. Your rb position is way too thin. You might want to trade some of your WRs for back up RBs. Orlandis Gary just got traded from buffalo to become starter in Detroit. Go pick him up if available.

Old 08-31-2003, 11:23 PM   #29
DNNF
Golden Member

12 teams leagues. 1 qb, 2 rbs, 2 wrs, 1 te, 1 kicker, 1 de.

qbs kurt warner, tommy maddox, doug johnson
rbs Deuce Mcalister, charlie garner, orlandis gary, trung candidate
wrs joe horn, chris chamber, josh reed
te Jay riemersma
kicker oldie anderson
de 49ers, saints

Old 09-01-2003, 08:02 PM   #30
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

I play in a 8 team "fun" league with some friends. My team is:

QB: WARNER, FAVRE
WR: OWENS, RICE, BRUCE, JERRY PORTER, MCCARDELL, AZ-ZAHIR HAKIM
TE: MILI, BECHT
RB: FAULK, ANTHONY THOMAS, DUCKETT, MOE WILLIAMS, DESHAUN FOSTER
KICKER: VANDERJAGT
DEFENSE: DALLAS

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 08:09 PM   #31
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ummmmm Ok
I play in a 8 team "fun" league with some friends. My team is:

QB: WARNER, FAVRE
WR: OWENS, RICE, BRUCE, JERRY PORTER, MCCARDELL, AZ-ZAHIR HAKIM
TE: MILI, BECHT
RB: FAULK, ANTHONY THOMAS, DUCKETT, MOE WILLIAMS, DESHAUN FOSTER
KICKER: VANDERJAGT
DEFENSE: DALLAS
Hakim is injured. What are you going to do when Dallas has a bye week and vanderjagt has a bye week. I would trade hakim and foster for a kicker and a defense.