Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-01-2003, 06:53 PM   #1
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough
Default Cowboy fans........Drew Henson is now on the board

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

His past denials aside, when the Columbus Clippers finish their season Monday, Drew Henson will have finished his baseball career as well.

Henson, 23, has reiterated several times in recent months that he would continue pursuing a career with the Yankees, who signed the former University of Michigan quarterback to a five-year, $17 million contract in 2001. Over the weekend, Henson denied broadcast reports indicating he would abandon his baseball career when this season with New York's Triple-A affiliate concluded.

But league sources, as well as several sources close to Henson, have confirmed that after two full seasons in Columbus -- years in which his strikeouts outnumbered his hits -- he will end his quest to play third base in Yankee Stadium.

"It's been a frustrating time and reality has set in now," one source said. "The feeling for a while was that he would play in Arizona (in the winter league), then see how he felt, and make a decision before spring training next year. But he's ready to walk away now."

And to walk away, as well, from a guaranteed $12 million that remains on his Yankees contract. Henson was scheduled to have base salaries of $2.2 million in 2004, $3.8 million in 2005 and $6 million in 2006. Under the exit plan, the Yankees will not have to buy out the contract or reach any sort of settlement.

Henson, who hasn't played football since he started eight games for the Wolverines in the 2000 season, was selected by the Houston Texans in the sixth round of the 2003 NFL draft. In recent weeks, contract discussions between Houston officials and representatives for Henson have accelerated.

The gambit by Texans general manager Charley Casserly, whose team holds Henson's draft rights until the 2004 draft, appears like it will pay off. Even on the second day of the draft, after investing a low-round pick to secure Henson's rights, Casserly mentioned a trade as one of several future options.

It now looks as if Henson, who would prefer not to play behind second-year Texans starter David Carr, will forge his NFL career elsewhere. In fact, that issue is one of many that have been discussed, as the two parties have considered their alternatives.

Others elements include contract structure, the timing of a deal, and at what point Houston would trade Henson to another franchise. According to NFL Players Association figures, the Texans only have about $238,170 remaining in their rookie pool allocation, so if they signed Henson to a contract that included a minimum first-year salary of $225,000, that would leave them only able to award a signing bonus that prorated to $13,000 per year.

Both sides, under such financial constraints, would have to exercise creativity -- likely in the form of so-called "unlikely to be earned" incentives.

Casserly said a few weeks ago that one team had already inquired about what it might take to deal for Henson, who almost certainly would have been a top 10 NFL selection had he continued his college football career.

One option for Henson would be not to sign with the Texans, begin work exclusively on preparing for football, and to re-enter the draft in 2004, but sources said that scenario is unlikely at this point.

At Michigan, Henson completed 214 of 374 passes for 2,946 yards, with 24 touchdowns and just seven interceptions. He appeared in 27 games and started eight times, before bypassing his remaining eligibility and signing the Yankees contract.

New York officials projected him to be the starting third baseman by 2003 or 2004, but the Yankees recently acquired Aaron Boone from Cincinnati to play the position and hope to keep him for the long-term. That move may have helped convince Henson that his athletic future did not include pinstripes.

Entering the Monday finale (the Clippers were eliminated from the playoff chase over the weekend), Henson was hitting .234 in 133 games, with 40 doubles, two triples, 14 home runs and 78 RBI. He had 113 hits and had struck out 122 times in 483 official plate appearances. Last season, his first full year in the minors, he hit .240, with 18 home runs, 65 RBI and 151 strikeouts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/colum..._len&id=1607111

This would be a good pick up at the QB position for the Cowboys. This was also a real smart move by the Texans, spend a low pick on him and if he comes back to football, trade him for a top pick. Smart Move.

However, the Texans CANNOT trade the rights for an actual player. His rights can only be traded for draft picks.

So could Henson be the possible solution to the Cowboys woes at QB?
Old 09-01-2003, 07:16 PM   #2
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

heck ya, and the man is only23 years old..
Old 09-01-2003, 09:01 PM   #3
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default RE: Cowboy fans........Drew Henson is now on the board

i'd send a 3rd or conditional pick for henson. he cant be any worse than hutch.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:26 PM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Another Hutch huh? I will never understand why a college football player who is projected to go high in the draft never goes the route of the NFL. If you really wanted to play football why not take that route rather than baseball?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:40 PM   #5
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Another Hutch huh? I will never understand why a college football player who is projected to go high in the draft never goes the route of the NFL. If you really wanted to play football why not take that route rather than baseball?
More money, guaranteed contract and longer career. I believe he got 12 million from the Yankees. Not bad for never making it to the Majors.

It is being reported that the Texans will get a first for Henson when they move him. I am sick the Boys didn't take a gamble on this kid. I was all for taking the chance come draft time. It looks like Houston's gamble will pay off big time.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:43 PM   #6
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

cowboys don't need another Chutch, leave him with the texans or whoever else. This team already has a player on this roster , who played baseball and is now trying to figure out how to play football again.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:45 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chicago JK
Quote:
More money, guaranteed contract and longer career. I believe he got 12 million from the Yankees. Not bad for never making it to the Majors.

It is being reported that the Texans will get a first for Henson when they move him. I am sick the Boys didn't take a gamble on this kid. I was all for taking the chance come draft time. It looks like Houston's gamble will pay off big time.

I think the Cowboys grab him if the Texans didn't which was the 6th round correct? WHat I mean is if you know you are a better football player than you are a baseball player than why not just go to baseball? I ask this same question when I see Hutch play. I believe Hutch's reason for coming back to the NFL was because he couldn't cut it as a pitcher. I don't know anything about Drew so I can't say much about the guy but I hope those aren't his same intentions. If it is his career will be no better than what Hutchinson's is right now. There are alot of greats who have came from baseball to football (Elway). Not sure if Drew will be a good player in this league but i'd probaly gamble on him. I'm not really sure what to offer the Texans however. Not sure if i'm willing to part with anything higher than a 4th rounder. If I could package Chad Hutchinson and get Drew i'd probaly give them a number 2.

1996-2005
Old 09-02-2003, 08:53 AM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Cowboys have said they have no interest.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 09:02 AM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
The only thing keeping baseball competitive in recruiting american-born athletes is the bonus structure. Plain and simple. Yankees knock on the door of some 19 year old kid and offer millions up front, not many will turn that down. Plus, baseball players tend to have the longest careers with the least amount of wear and tear on the body.

Thing to remember is that in football, there are no guarantees.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 09:58 AM   #10
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

i expect Henson not to sign anywhere, and re- enter the draft. He'd be gauranteed more $. the only upside to joining a team this year, is he could pick the team he wants to be traded to, but then he has to figure out how to get $, being just a 6th rnd pick. It's all a little tricky. IMO, with offseason workouts, and team visits, he'll be a 2nd rnder at the worst, and probably a 1st.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:24 AM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Cowboys have said they have no interest.
Good news.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 03:30 PM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Just211
i expect Henson not to sign anywhere, and re- enter the draft. He'd be gauranteed more $. the only upside to joining a team this year, is he could pick the team he wants to be traded to, but then he has to figure out how to get $, being just a 6th rnd pick. It's all a little tricky. IMO, with offseason workouts, and team visits, he'll be a 2nd rnder at the worst, and probably a 1st.

I see what your saying Dooby.

Just, the only problem with that is being a year older. That year could've been a year to develop. You also have to remember that is another year without playing football.

1996-2005
Old 09-02-2003, 08:37 PM   #13
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
One option for Henson would be not to sign with the Texans, begin work exclusively on preparing for football, and to re-enter the draft in 2004, but sources said that scenario is unlikely at this point.
Question.................what part of this do you not understand.

Besides, Henson is on the verge of signing a deal with the Texans. Then they can start looking for a trade. It has been reported in Phoenix sometime last week that the Cards would be willing to part with Multiple first round picks in coming years. Not sure if this is true though.

Remeber, the reason why it is better to sign with the Texans and seek a trade is because the guy is walking away form almost $12 million from the Yanks. He is no sure high first round pick or to get a guaranteed contract. If he signs with the Texans and then gets traded, he has a better opportunity with a guaranteed contract. If he goes for next year's draft and god forbid............gets hurt before then.......well you should get the point from there. No money.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:39 PM   #14
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

might get hurt? it's called insurance. Just like college seniors get.

and if signs now, he can only get what's left in teams rookie pools. Which is slim to none. But if he waits, he'll probably get a 10-13 mil sigining bonus, which is guaranteed. And the reports now, are that with such a weak QB class coming in, he could probably leap over all of them and be the 1st QB taken.

I think i'd wait.