Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 06-22-2003, 10:01 PM   #1
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Stars Offseason Moves Thread

Making a cummulative place for any news.

NHL Draft over. I'm disappointed that we didn't trade up, but it looks like no one was biting this year. Stars traded down & out of the first round, took 3 picks in the second, one in the third, & 7 today in the late rounds. Here are some notes about the picks. No one exciting really, but I really like this Texas Tornado player we took at 99. Here's what ESPN said about him:

"Matt Nickerson is the biggest (6-5/223), meanest, nastiest S.O.B. in this year's draft. He will be the most sought after 'enforcer' type in this year's lottery."

Bingo. Derian Hatcher, the next generation.

Bad news about not dumping salary w/draft day trades. Will we have enough to resign Hatch? July 1 is looming.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:56 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Stars Offseason Moves Thread

I fear that Hatch is gone, but we can blame that on Turgeon. I was not dissapointed that we traded down because this draft was a shallow one past 10-12 slots. Anything past that is a crap shoot. Of course you can say that about most every draft. I've heard Nickerson can be compared to Churla.

Sounds like a good.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:24 PM   #3
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

oh, back in the days of churla...memories, memories.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:32 PM   #4
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

DMN today says that Hatcher will NOT be offered a pre-July 1 deal. Someone else will get him in the free agency. This BLOWS.

By all accounts, this was considered a very deep draft actually, but I'm alright with trading down as opposed to staying put. If we weren't going to dump salary by moving up, there was no point in staying at 28. The player they wanted, Tamberelli, was taken by the Kings at 27.

Word is that the Stars are shopping EVERYONE short of Modano & probably Lehtinen now. That includes Guerin. I think that would be a mistake. We need to build a core around Modano; if you dump Guerin, you're back to where you were last year.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:34 PM   #5
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

losing hatcher does blow. big time.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:38 AM   #6
ames7
Diamond Member

Update.

In light of Hatcher's likely departure (wimper), the trade talk has stopped since the whole point to trying to move Guerin, Turg, etc was to clear up $$$ for Hatch. The Stars made qualifying offers to all their restricted free agents, including Kapanen, Turco, & Matvichuk (dammit), & will definitely keep Aaron Downey of Bourlerice-Knock-Out fame next year. There's also a rumor that they are having second thoughts about Dahlen & may decide to make him an offer after all (please yes). All in all, good news for once on the hockey front.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:43 AM   #7
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

ugh. matvichuk. i would like to see us keep dahlen though.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:04 AM   #8
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

The entire NHL owners are afraid of giving any players contracts more than three years now.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:08 PM   #9
ames7
Diamond Member

It's happened.

Announcement today that Hatch will sign with the Red Wings with a 5-yr deal. Also today: the Avs will sign both Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne.

You know, I saw the Hatch thing coming & it still stunned me. I gotta go to class now, but I'll write more on this later. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2003, 01:13 PM   #10
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7
It's happened.

Announcement today that Hatch will sign with the Red Wings with a 5-yr deal. Also today: the Avs will sign both Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne.

You know, I saw the Hatch thing coming & it still stunned me. I gotta go to class now, but I'll write more on this later. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
This is the first time the description "cheap ass SOB" fits Tom Hicks.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:14 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7
It's happened.

This is the first time the description "cheap ass SOB" fits Tom Hicks.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:43 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Now Hicks is ruining my favorite baseball team AND my favorite hockey team. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:17 PM   #13
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

meh. great sadness.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:25 PM   #14
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Avs and redwings are serious about winning the stars aren't. I mean redwings get Hatcher today, the avs grab former mighty duck teammates karia and selanne. Gees can it get much worse. I hope Sergei F. becomes a Star.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:33 PM   #15
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

i dunno. it seems like we hav enough forwards. with hatcher gone, we need to concentrate on getting a defenseman to fill that hole.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:32 PM   #16
ames7
Diamond Member

Army was on BaD Radio today & basically nixed the Federov to the Stars idea. Which I think is the right move since Federov is demanding around $10mil & we really don't need forwards. Interesting: Army said that the Stars actually offered Hatch a 5-yr deal last summer that is worth MORE than what he signed for w/Detroit.

He said the only FA move in the horizon is to get a 7th defenseman. He also confirmed that Mike Modano will be the new captain. This page has good summaries on the latest.

My thoughts: I'm disappointed as hell. I think it sucks he's gone & it really sucks that it's to the Wings. However, like they were saying on the Ticket today, if the choice is to sign Hatch to a long-term deal now or to sign Modano to a long-term deal next year, gimme Mo anyday. I see losing Hatch as a direct result of the moronic, knee-jerk reaction move of giving Turgeon a long-term deal WITH A NO TRADE CLAUSE. Listen, Hicks, cool it with the NTCs, mmkay?

Colorado made a smart move w/Kariya & Selanne today. Even if it's just one-yr deals, they look very good for next yr now. Detroit is trying to unload one of their $8-mil goalies, but they also look nice. You know who doesn't look nice? Anaheim. They screwed themselves over. Can you say "this year's Carolina"?

It will be sickening seeing Hatch in red but now that there's nothing more we can do, it's time to get over it & move the hell on. Sign Turco, Kapanen, etc, plan on inserting Erskine in & add a veteran 7th D. Rumor is that they might still make Dahlen an offer (less than the $1.5mil that he made last yr), in which case he may be back b/c he has said he doesn't want to play anywhere else. This would be a GREAT move.

Losing Hatcher sucks majorly but the Stars still have a very good team. I hate it that that incompetent selfish cretin idiot Turgeon is sucking up all the cash but it was Hicks & Army's own stupid fault for giving him a NTC. Maybe he'll turn it around (I doubt it) but we're stuck with him. Army's said we are definitely keeping Stu Barnes (YES!!!), so we will have three excellent forward lines & some very promising prospects (they've signed the Swedish kid Tjarnqvist). We also have 4 very good D, plus Matvichuk, who used to be good, & Erskine, who has a lot of potential. It doesn't suck to be us, I guess.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:36 PM   #17
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

well, at least modano gets to be captain. he is my favorite.

and we are not in a bad position. we will still be a talented team next year. it's all ok. except that turgeon sucks.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:39 PM   #18
ames7
Diamond Member

Minor news but our modest off-season signings have begun. The Stars have agreed to sign Don Sweeney to a 1-yr deal. If you're like me & have never heard of this guy, he's a defenseman w/the Bruins. Here's a scouting report:
Quote:
A solid defender, who has good mobility and can move the puck. Does not have a lot of size, but doesn't shy away from physical play. Can deliver crushing hits due to his superb strength. He is a superbly conditioned athlete. Smart player who is highly competitive.
It appears that this will be our 7th D. I think it's a good depth move, especially since it's just a 1-yr deal. He sounds like he has good character.

Edit: Update: Sweeney is signed for around half a million for 1 year, plus incentives. Other news: The Stars also signed Antti Miettinen and Mattias Tjarnqvist, their top 2 Euro prospects, to short term deals. RFA Marty Turco has opted out of arbitration & there is a chance he will be a hold-out from training camp a la Brenden Morrow last year.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:10 PM   #19
ames7
Diamond Member

OMG! Sydor's been traded!

Dallas Stars General Manager Doug Armstrong announced today that the NHL club has acquired defenseman Teppo Numminen from the Phoenix Coyotes and the Columbus Blue Jackets¡¦ second round pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft as part of a three-way trade. Dallas traded defenseman Darryl Sydor to the Blue Jackets in exchange for center Mike Sillinger and Columbus¡¦ 2004 second round draft pick. Sillinger was then dealt to Phoenix in exchange for Numminen.

I don't quite know what to say. Thank you, Syd, for some great years. If anyone's ever doubted him or his commitment as a player, just remember him with his ankle injury in the SCFs against NJ, crawling toward the net.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:20 PM   #20
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand this move other than to say it had to be about the benjamins.

Goodbye to Sydor. You will be missed.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:33 PM   #21
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The stars are interested in budgetting know. Tempo Niemenen for Sydor. So in the last three years we have lost hull for turgeon, newy for arnott. Give me a break I don't care about the stars.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:48 PM   #22
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Hicks must be losing too much money and he is trying to recoop it back somehow. This trade makes no since otherwise.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 02:52 PM   #23
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

my personal (and only) brush with greatness.

drove up from jacksonville to atlanta to see the stars/thrashers game the week of xmas in '01. while "stalking" the hotel they were at, my wife and i were lucky enough to catch an elevator with daryl. genuine guy. started a convo with us. asked if we were going to the game, where we were from, etc. (i guess my wife's belfour sweater gave us away). wished us a merry xmas when we all got off the elevator. just an all around nice guy.

a good player and a heck of a competitor. he'll be missed.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:34 PM   #24
ames7
Diamond Member

I'll tell you why this deal went down. It isn't about the amount of salary, b/c Sydor's & Numminen's are very similar. It's b/c Numminen's deal only has one year left, whereas Sydor's got 4 years left. Basically we're trading a long-term franchise player for a rent-a-player. There's a significant chance Numminen won't even be here after the CBA. This is, once again, a consequence of the Turgeon deal. This is obviously the Stars management looking toward next year, seeing Modano's deal run out & looking to have a way to dump salary by letting Numminen go.

Sydor & Numminen are similar in skill as well, & some people think Numminen is (or was, in his prime) better, but I feel like maybe they're seriously jeopardizing the chemistry of this team by breaking up the Big 4 D core.

Update: Robidas & Erskine have both been signed to 1-yr deals so we now have a complete 7-man D-core, most of which have deals running out next season. Next summer's gonna be busy.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:36 PM   #25
ames7
Diamond Member

Richard Matvichuk, last season's co-winner for the Stars Spare of the Year Award, was given a one yr $2.2 mil contract. This is the amount of the qualifying offer he rejected last month & the same amount he got last year. This is excellent news, as it means that much more money to spend on Turco & Kapanen, two players who actually deserve raises.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:40 PM   #26
ames7
Diamond Member

Update:
-Kapanen signed to 1-yr deal.
-Modano signed to 1-yr extension.
-Lehtinen signed to 4-yr extension.
-STILL NO TURCO DEAL! ANNOYING!

Well, the Lehtinen deal is excellent, unexpected news, but there's only one week left until camp & the closer they cut it, the less I believe Turco's going to be there. C'mon Army, get with it.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:14 PM   #27
MFFL
Guru

I have trouble believing that Modano will be starting his 15TH season this year.