Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-01-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Raffy suspended for drug violation

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...spension_x.htm

Nothing specifically saying steroids, but this matches what's happened with all other steroid abuses.

This is amazing news.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, IMO.

ESPN.com is now reporting it is in fact for steroids.

What a dumbass. Goodbye HOF Raffy, you didn't deserve it anyway.

What a complete fool he now looks like.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Raffy suspended for drug violation

what a loser
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #3
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Raffy suspended for drug violation

ESPN has been reporting on the radio that it was steriods.

Can you say perjury?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:46 PM   #4
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

from the DMN story:
Quote:
In remarks prepared for a conference call Monday, Palmeiro said he had accepted his punishment and could not explain how the steroids got into his body.

"I have never intentionally used steroids. Never. Ever. Period," he said. "Ultimately, although I never intentionally put a banned substance into my body, the independent arbitrator ruled that I had to be suspended under the terms of the program."

A grievance filed by the players' union against the suspension was denied.
Wow. Didn't expect this. Even if he was doing them before, how could he be so stupid to keep doing them after the hearings? What an absolute shame.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

BOOOO.... I say ban 'em all from baseball forever. I'm sick of this crap.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:57 PM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary

Can you say perjury?
They can't prove he was doing them before the hearings. He can simply say this is the first time.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 08-01-2005, 01:44 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Palmeiro is an ass. He deserves every ounce of ridicule and punishment that lies ahead. I hopet he Hall of Fame takes notice and places a lifetime ban on him. Effing tool.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:11 PM   #8
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

And yall are surprised?

I wonder why Barry Bonds isn't playing this year? Could it be that he didn't want everyone to see how much steroids has helped his game?

Before

Before

After

And you can do the same type of pictures with all of the big homeruns hitters. Go back and look at the baseball cards of Mark McGwire in 89 compared to 98. Go look at Sammy Sosa in 1990, and then in 98. Go look at Rafiel Palmeiro as a Chicago Cub compared to today.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #9
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

yep- this whole thing is way out of hand..I could go on and on...Bonds- out for the year- knee problems? Sure, but im sure its more the fact that he was so full of drugs his body as well as his mind must adjust.
SOSA- 13 dingers!? 25lbs lighter already? GIve me a break..His total is also a FRAUD.How bout Thome? Bagwell? Giambi? UNREAL..I have thought all along the best HR hitter of my generation is Griffey Jr. Had he not gotten hurt so many times- he would be pushing the hell out of 600 already..AROD is another..I know those two arent or havent been on the roids. Most everyone else- well, its obvious..
Old 08-03-2005, 08:34 AM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Raffy is a confirmed damn liar. He tested positive for stanozolol, an very strong steroid which is only available clinically. It is not found in dietary supplements or foods or anything else. Strong synthetic steroids such as this are only found....in the damn steroid itself. Raffy lied. What a stupid dumbass. I hope the HOF never allwos him into their hallowed ranks.

HERE is the story.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:28 AM   #11
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Heard last night on ESPN that the steroid Raffy tested positive for was the same one that got Ben Johnson in trouble in '88. That says it all, right there.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:59 AM   #12
Drbio
Banned

That is correct Rhylan. Johnson was also suspended for stanozolol use.

One more point....stanozolol because of its potency is easily detected and there are no "false positive" troubles with this class of steroids. The test has a much higher standard to reach positive, although when it is present, it indicates very rapidly.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:18 AM   #13
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Stanozolol? Johnson was stripped of his gold medal, Raffy's numbers should be striken from the records, and he should be banned for life. 10 days?! WTF?

The 5 strikes policy is a joke. Baseball is subjecting itself to more ridicule than any sport in the history of mankind.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:26 AM   #14
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: jthig32
Quote:

Can you say perjury?
They can't prove he was doing them before the hearings. He can simply say this is the first time.
The fact that it can't be proven that he perjured himself, does not erase the damage done to his image from the likelihood that he did.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 08-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #15
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
The fact that it can't be proven that he perjured himself, does not erase the damage done to his image from the likelihood that he did.
Oh I certainly agree with that. I was just pointing out that there's no way to actually prove he perjured himself.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-03-2005, 10:40 AM   #16
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Hall of Fame.

Yes?
or
No?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:50 AM   #17
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

do steroids help you actually get 3000 hits? no.

but they do help you have a long career, increasing your chances of getting to 3000 hits? yes.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:15 PM   #18
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

In my opinion?

Well in my opinion he wasn't a HOF before being caught.

However, anyone testing positive for steroid use is immediately out as far as I'm concerned.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-03-2005, 01:28 PM   #19
mary
Troll Hunter

Can't they just have their own wing?

Wouldn't that be an honor, to you have your plaque haning in the special "steriod" section?

[img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]

Old 08-03-2005, 01:29 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

No HOF. Before it was debateable...now it is moot. I hope he develops man boobs that he can't get rid of.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:09 PM   #21
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Pudge, Sosa, Bonds, Palmeiro, Canseco, Brady Anderson, Jason Giambi, McGwire -- do any of them belong in the HOF now? I think it is fairly obvious that all of these guys did it to get their numbers.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:47 PM   #22
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I can say with 100% certainty that Brady Anderson will NOT be in the Hall of Fame.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:07 PM   #23
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can say with 100% certainty that Brady Anderson will NOT be in the Hall of Fame.
A 50 home run hitter (1996), not in the HOF? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] of course, he never hit even 25 any other year, but someone will make a case for him.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 08-04-2005, 09:35 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In my opinion?

Well in my opinion he wasn't a HOF before being caught.

However, anyone testing positive for steroid use is immediately out as far as I'm concerned.
Palmeiro was a no brainer Hall of Famer before he was caught. I know that there were some that wouldn't vote him in on the first ballot, but there's no doubt that he was a HOFer before the most recent revelation.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:54 PM   #25
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

You'll notice I said "in my opinion"

Had I had a vote, I never would have voted for him. 4 all star games, never the best player at his position, never anywehre close to dominant. Never a part of a sucessful team.

But that's me.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You'll notice I said "in my opinion"

Had I had a vote, I never would have voted for him. 4 all star games, never the best player at his position, never anywehre close to dominant. Never a part of a sucessful team.

But that's me.
And you're opinion was wrong at the time..
Sorry, that's just the way it is.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:17 PM   #27
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Well, that's an interesting assessment. Hard to say someone's opinion is wrong definitely.

HOF is a very detabetable thing for many, many players. Just because he reached some sort of statistical benchmark, people want to put him in automatically.

Ah well. Not everyone can possess common sense. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-06-2005, 05:20 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Well, that's an interesting assessment. Hard to say someone's opinion is wrong definitely.

HOF is a very detabetable thing for many, many players. Just because he reached some sort of statistical benchmark, people want to put him in automatically.

Ah well. Not everyone can possess common sense. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Before the drug suspension...over 500 hrs, probably 600 before he retires... over 3000 hits.
If the question is common sense, it appears that you're the one that was lacking in this argument.

And yes, opinions can be definitely wrong...yours was.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:57 AM   #29
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

raffy isn't a HOFer.

before, after, whatever.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:28 AM   #30
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Well Murph, you can argue stats all you want. The fact remains that Raffy was never the best at his position, was never even CLOSE to a dominant player, was lucky to make even a few all star games.

The only reason it's even a discussion as to whether he's HOF worthy is his longevity, and now we know the truth behind that as well.

BTW, I believe the Musers pointed this out this morning:

Raffy's positive drug test indicates that he took the particular dose found in his body around mid-early May. They mentioned a specific date on the show, can't recall right now. Anyway, as of that date, Raffy had 1, count it, 1 home run.

The dude's a fraud. He never wanted to win, never wanted to play for a contender. He wanted to play where he could be comfortable, and where he had a nice home run porch. He lied to Congress, to his fans like Murph, and to his friends, like the Hardline. Greggo himself caleld him a cheater.

Not a HOF, now or ever, and I hope baseball pulls a Pete Rose on him and keeps him off the ballot.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-08-2005, 08:34 AM   #31
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Not a HOF, now or ever, and I hope baseball pulls a Pete Rose on him and keeps him off the ballot.
Should they do this to Bonds, Mark McGwire, Jason Giambi, etc?

Old 08-08-2005, 08:38 AM   #32
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Quote:
Should they do this to Bonds, Mark McGwire, Jason Giambi, etc?
I wish they could. But sadly, none of them have tested positive for steroids.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-08-2005, 09:46 AM   #33
dalmations202
Diamond Member

McGwire admitted to it, and was found with that cream in his locker. Giambi admitted to it. Bonds is tied up with Balco, and they have admitted to it, as well as his ex-??? testifying that she saw him use it.

They could deny all of them under the same ruling that Rose is under, if they want to. The "detriment to the game" rule.

I'll bet they don't though.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:45 AM   #34
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

McGwire didn't admit to anything. He pleaded the fifth before Congress. Essentially the same thing, but he still didn't admit to it. Also, Andro was perfectly legal when it was found in his locker.

As much as I dislike it, the fact is before this year, taking Steroids was not tested for, and was not officially against the rules in baseball. The only person in the group we're discussing that has been caught cheating is Raffy.

That's the difference. That's why they won't be punished. Hell I doubt it happens to Raffy.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game