Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-03-2005, 11:03 PM   #1
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Modano finally signs & I'm now ready for hockey season

After the Stars & Modano took turns jerking us around for a couple of days, he's FINALLY resigned for 5 years, $17.75mil.

The Stars roster now looks like this:

G (1) - Turco
D (6) - Zubov, Klemm, Skoula, Boucher, Erskine, Daley
RW (3) - Guerin, Lehtinen, Svoboda
C (4) - Modano, Arnott, Barnes, Kapanen
LW (3) - Morrow, Miettinen, Ott

17 guys at $33,502,166.20, assuming all RFAs sign at their qualified amount. They've got about $2mil left to sign 1 or 2 more wingers & maybe a backup goalie, but pretty much the roster is set.

It's been an embittering, annoying, horrible lost year, but it's over now & I'm so ready for hockey to start.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:30 PM   #2
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Modano finally signs & I'm now ready for hockey season

Anyone hear about them possibly getting Hatcher back?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:42 PM   #3
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Hatcher signed for 4 yrs w/the Flyers. They don't have the cap room anyway, they slightly overspent on Zubov.

Here's some interesting news: Turgeon has signed w/the Avs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

i would like to see dimaio return. he wouldn't require much $$, and if they could get a backup goalie for small $$, i would love to see them take a run at kariya to fill that last left winger spot. don't know if they could afford him though. if not, maybe a veteran like bondra might be had cheap.

hmmmmm...

guerin - mo - kariya
lehts - arnott - morrow
Old 08-05-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
ames7
Diamond Member

Kariya signed w/the Preds today. Eh.

Stars sign Robidas (welcome back, Timex!) & Johan Hedberg to back up Marty. Both good, solid, cheap moves. Probably all that's left to get is one more winger... I'd like DiMaio back.

Major props to Stars management. They've really done a great job fitting everyone in under the cap. I didn't think there was any chance we'd get to keep Guerin, Modano AND Zubov.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:53 PM   #6
Finley4ever

Finley4ever is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Modano finally signs & I'm now ready for hockey season

I'm only a casual Stars fan, so I don't usually watch their games until the playoffs, but unlike most casual fans I think that i'll be more interested in hockey this year than before the lockout. The year off has actually made me miss hockey and I'm really excited to watch the Stars play this year.
Finley4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

ya, i saw kariya signed with the preds. the preds?? oh well, big fish in a small pond, i guess. try to reestablish himself there, then get a big deal in two years.

i like the hedberg signing, but was never a fan of robidas.

only a little over a month til training camp opens......
Old 08-06-2005, 02:47 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Modano finally signs & I'm now ready for hockey season

They play professional hockey?

Who knew?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #9
ames7
Diamond Member

DiMaio signs for 2 years in Tampa Bay. Aw. Gonna miss that dude.

A lot of talk on the Stars boards advocating resigning Val Bure. I think it'd be a good addition if you can get him at a reasonable price. To be real, the Stars have several Robbie DiMaio grit types & not enough scorers. A guy like Bure would fill out the first two lines nicely.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:29 PM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

And then there's this......

N.H.L. Reinstates Canucks' Bertuzzi

By JASON DIAMOS
Published: August 9, 2005

Commissioner Gary Bettman announced yesterday that Vancouver Canucks forward Todd Bertuzzi would be reinstated after a 17-month suspension for his on-ice attack against Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore.

Bettman's announcement came on the same day that the N.H.L. was welcoming Wayne Gretzky as coach of the Phoenix Coyotes. Anticipating a torrent of criticism, Bettman issued a lengthy e-mail message explaining why Bertuzzi would be allowed to return.

"My decision is made strictly on the basis of what I believe is the right result for the game of hockey and Mr. Bertuzzi, taking into due consideration the impact of these events on Mr. Moore," he said in his 4,500-word ruling.

Bettman added: "It is my belief that Mr. Bertuzzi has paid a very significant price for his conduct on March 8, 2004, and that he should be reinstated immediately so that he is eligible to play as of the commencement of the 2005-6 N.H.L. season."

Moore sustained a broken neck, cuts on his face and a concussion after Bertuzzi punched him, then landed on top of him, driving his head into the ice during a game in Vancouver. The hit was apparently in retaliation for Moore's hit on Vancouver's Markus Naslund on Feb. 16, 2004; Naslund sustained a concussion in that game.

Neither Bertuzzi nor Moore has played since the incident. Bertuzzi was suspended indefinitely by the league three days later. He missed the final 13 games of the regular season and the postseason; the Canucks lost their first-round series to Calgary in seven games.

During the lockout last season, he was barred from playing in any international games with Canada's national team and from playing in any league in Europe. The suspension cost Bertuzzi more than $500,000 in salary and about $350,000 in endorsements, Bettman said.

Tim Danson, Moore's lawyer, said in a telephone interview last night, "Speaking with Steve, he is disappointed, very disappointed, because he is unable to resume his N.H.L. career and may never be able to resume his N.H.L. career, while Mr. Bertuzzi is able to resume his N.H.L. career."

A telephone call to Moore, who spent yesterday at the Cleveland Clinic to have further testing for postconcussion syndrome, was not returned.

Bertuzzi, who is in Kitchener, Ontario, was unavailable for comment.

In his statement, Bettman issued a stern warning to Bertuzzi: "While I believe it is time to move forward, I want to make clear to Mr. Bertuzzi what will be expected of him when he resumes his playing career this season: (1) As set forth in the terms of his criminal probation, Mr. Bertuzzi will not be permitted to play in any N.H.L. game in which Mr. Moore is a player on the opposite team; and (2) Mr. Bertuzzi will be considered to be on 'probation' for the 2005-6 N.H.L. season."

Jean Martineau, the senior vice president for communications and team services for the Colorado Avalanche, called Bettman's ruling "a league decision" and said the Avalanche would not comment.

A civil suit is still pending.

Moore filed the suit in Colorado against Bertuzzi, Vancouver forward Brad May, as well as its coach, Marc Crawford, its former general manager, Brian Burke, and the Canucks' organization for civil conspiracy, assault, battery, negligence and outrageous conduct.

In his statement, Bettman also wrote of the "financial, criminal, civil and emotional consequences" Bertuzzi endured, including pleading guilty to assault causing bodily harm on Dec. 22, 2004, in British Columbia. Bertuzzi was granted a conditional discharge with one year of probation. He was barred from any sporting activity in which Moore was involved and was ordered to perform 80 hours of community service.

"I believe that Mr. Bertuzzi is genuinely remorseful and apologetic for his actions on March 8, 2004, and the consequences that have flowed from such actions," Bettman said.

Danson said that Moore also spent a week at the Cleveland Clinic in late June. "We were hoping the league would wait until the end of the month to have a comprehensive opinion from the Cleveland Clinic," he said.

He added: "I think this is a missed opportunity to send out a very strong message. In my opinion, no matter which way you view the facts, the N.H.L. has given Bertuzzi a 19-game suspension for the most violent criminal act in N.H.L. history."

Bettman's statement said: "Mr. Moore's counsel suggested that the N.H.L.'s resolution of this matter could be a defining moment for the N.H.L., which will be judged on how the matter is handled. I agree. Conduct such as Mr. Bertuzzi's simply has no place in the game of hockey."
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:15 PM   #11
ames7
Diamond Member

Hard for me to get worked up over the Bertuzzi thing, just b/c it seems like it was so long ago. He didn't get to play the World Cup either & him not being there for the playoffs might have cost Vancouver the Stanley Cup. It's a shame Steve Moore still isn't better though.

In good news... Arnott & Miettinen signed their qualifiers today. Among those expected to make the roster, only Morrow is still unsigned. I'm betting they get a long-term deal done before he goes to arbitration next week though.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:31 AM   #12
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

i'm glad mo resigned. if the stars didn't sign him back I was going to be so pissed
Old 08-21-2005, 01:53 PM   #13
ames7
Diamond Member

Brenden Morrow = signed. 2 yrs, $4.1 mil. Higher than I thought the Stars would go, but if anyone's worth it, it's Morrow. The roster is done, they're a little more than $2 mil under the cap. Huge props to management.

Closing in on training camp, I'm excited. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Thinking about going out to Stars IceBreaker next week.