Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2002, 08:32 PM   #11
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Post this yet again because murph doesn't know how to read:

Since you have so much trouble reading, I've collected all my replies. Now tell me where I say all the things you claim I said (aside from the lone comment which I admitted to making, and which I also highlighted below).

I think Lance and many pro athletes use illegal performance-enhancing substances (to take themselves to the next level or to just keep up with the competition) but honestly I don't see what the big deal is. Nothing takes away from the fact that he's a great cyclist. Same thing with steroids in baseball - who cares (as long as they don't go around pusing it to others or publicizing it)? Just my .02.

I know someone who rides with Lance frequently and though he doesn't doubt Lance's uses of performance-enhancing substances, he doesn't let it affect his opinion of him as a cyclist or as a person.

---

Actually it's a known fact that most of the natural and NPC bodybuilding tourneys consist of juiced up contestants. It's pretty easy to bypass most steroid tests if you use one with a relatively short half life. But I do see your point though.

As for the comment on children idolizing these athletes, I agree but there's really nothing anyone can do about it. Fact is, many athletes have been using illegal substances for years but it is only now being brought to light. I try not to read all those anti-steroid and even anti-ephedrine articles..I just watch and enjoy the game. What athletes do in their own time is none of my business (and I don't think the media should be so quick to publish any and all "shocking" exposes). They're adult enough to make their own decisions, and I'm sure they're aware of the possible consequences of their drug use anyhow.. It's our duty to educate our children on what is right and wrong (just like if a child sees his favorite NBA player smoking and drinking or hears they got busted with weed..I don't think that's going to make them want to emulate them, especially if the parent tells them how harmful those things are).

---

As for Armstrong, the only one who really knows whether or not he's used performance-enhancing substances is himself (and maybe his team of physicians). Everything we say, hear, and read about is just speculation. So why bother arguing over something that none of us knows is 100% correct or incorrect? The man has done a lot for the sport in this country, has proven to be the best time and time again, and has overcome cancer. That's all I need to know.

---

I understand that murph but the fact that any drug test can be beaten means we don't know for sure whether or not he uses or doesn't. Many drugs are in and out of your system in a matter of days. I doubt any professional athlete (with the exception of ifbb pro bodybuilders) who uses drugs will take anything that will stay in the body for prolonged periods. This is how both college and professional athletes beat steroid testing (though non-scheduled "surprise" tests sometimes catch them in the act).

---

It's not a matter of being cynical - it's the truth. If you understood the various aspects and methods behind steroid use, you'd realize how easy it is to beat these tests. I knew several football and baseball players back in college who did two or more cycles a year. But none were ever caught, even after being tested. I don't know for sure if he uses them and am not 100% positive he doesn't. But to say that he doesn't and label that as truth is nothing more than an opinion since you don't really know either.

But do I think the media should be making it such a big issue? No. Like I said before, what athletes do to themselves in their own time is none of my business. I object to all these accusations only because I think it takes away from what the man has accomplished. That, and only that, should be the main focus.

---

There's no arguing with you is there murph? It's either your way or the highway.

---

How many times do I have to say that I don't think he uses them, but I also can't say 100% that he doesn't? Stop trying to spin my words around and make it sound like I'm accusing him of doping up. I simply stated the FACT that none of us know for sure whether or not he uses, and it's none of our business anyway.

---

Well this snide attack by you shows a lot about YOUR character. Especially since you decided to put a completely new spin on my comments to better fit your agenda. Never mind the fact that I stated repeatedly that I don't know if he does or does not use any kind of drug.

---

Ok fine I did make that statement. But I later said repeatedly that I do not KNOW FOR SURE if he uses. Deep down, I'm not sure if he does or doesn't. My gut feeling says he probably does, since many professional athletes do the same. But once again, I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE and have never said "Yes, Lance Armstrong uses blah blah blah." Do you know what an opinion is murph? No? I didn't think so.

---

Funny, I never stated that he DID or DID NOT do drugs, even in that comment you posted. I may have said at first that I suspect he may be using, but that obviously wasn't stated as a fact now was it. I went from stating an opinion, to stating the facts. The only fact being that no one but himself and his physicians know what he's on (if he's on anything at all).

No one is "assuming the worst" by questioning his drug use. Ok maybe the media is, by putting such a negative spin on everything. Drugs and sports go hand in hand. I have no problem with that and don't respect an athlete less just because he's on something.

---

Murph, it's hard to argue with someone who doesn't seem to read entire posts and must resort to personal attacks. D77 was banned for the same thing. I'm tired of your act and the way you treat members on this site. Keep pushing it murph..just keep pushing it.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
he aced the tests, murphy's good ol' days