Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Washington Redskins @ Dallas Cowboys

Washington 4(Red)skins @ Dallas Cowboys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Info
Date: September 28
Time: 3:15PM CST
TV: Fox (local channel 4)
Line: Cowboys by 11
Scouts Inc.: With the Redskins having played well in each of the past two weeks and the Cowboys coming off three impressive victories, this is an outstanding NFC East matchup -- and possibly the game of the week. Both clubs are very physical, and both defenses have acquitted themselves nicely, ranking among the top third of the league statistically.

Dallas has the NFL's most explosive offense, and though QB Jason Campbell and Washington got off to a slow start, the offense is coming around in coach Jim Zorn's new scheme. Road games in this division always are treacherous, but the Redskins appear ready for the challenge.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 09-25-2008 at 10:04 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

100 on the boys, please.

(4-skins....Bob Sturm would be proud)
Old 09-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I've been calling them that since I was 11. Sturm stole it.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

11 points...goodness.

I'm not sure I can justify my standard 1000vCast bet on this line.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Here Are The Washington Redskins

link

IRVING, Texas - It was a 27-6 loss in the final game last season that seemingly launched 1,000 questions. Will another late-season nosedive affect a Cowboys playoff push? Will wide receiver Terrell Owens return from an ankle injury to help an offense which only put up six points against a 9-7 Redskins team? Or perhaps the most asked question, how willing are the Cowboys to face the Redskins for the third time in the 2008 playoffs? While the answers to the first two questions were revealed just two weeks later, the Cowboys and Redskins will finally get their much anticipated rematch this Sunday at 3:15 p.m. (CDT) at Texas Stadium.

What's Up?
Both teams come into Sunday's matchup riding impressive win streaks. The Redskins have picked up victories in their last two games, beating the Arizona Cardinals and New Orleans Saints by a slim combined margin of 53-41. In their two-game winning span, the Redskins have compiled 778 yards of total offense, with running back Clinton Portis leading the way with 186 all-purpose yards.

The Cowboys have done a bit of streaking in their own right, though, since they are coming off victories against Cleveland, Philadelphia and Green Bay. Dallas is the NFL's No. 1 offense, currently putting up a staggering 440 yards per game while also averaging 32 points in its three contests. With the NFC East combining for a 10-2 record - the two losses suffered in division play - this Cowboys-Redskins matchup should be another heated affair between two bitter division rivals.

Statistical View

* While Washington defensive end Jason Taylor battled through a knee sprain suffered late in the preseason and went on to play in the Redskins first three games, a severe kick to his shin which caused severe bleeding will cause him to miss Sunday's game against the Cowboys. Taylor has started 132 consecutive games, including every game in a seven-year period with the Miami Dolphins from 2000 to 2007, but he underwent surgery on Monday to drain out the blood. Starting in his place should be former Cowboys defensive lineman Demetric Evans.

* Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens needs just two touchdowns to tie former running back Marshall Faulk for fourth place on the all-time touchdown list. In Owens' 12-year career he has faced the Redskins nine times, catching 36 balls for 479 yards and seven touchdowns.

* If any team in the league was going to contain Marion Barber this season, it would be the Redskins. In five career games against Washington, the Cowboys running back has carried the ball 46 times for just 3.3 yards per carry.

* Clinton Portis became the only running back to rush for more than 100 yards against the Cowboys in last season's finale. The Redskins running back tallied 104 yards and two scores in the Washington blowout, but he will likely have a tough time finding running lanes this time since the Cowboys are one of five teams to not allow 100 yards rushing in any game so far this season.

* Going back to the 2007 season, DeMarcus Ware has recorded a sack in six straight games, putting him fourth all-time in Cowboys history for consecutive games with a sack. The Cowboys outside linebacker has had some epic battles with Redskins Pro Bowl left tackle Chris Samuels in recent years, but Ware has gotten the better of Samuels, recording four sacks and 30 tackles in six career games.

Chalk Talk
Tony Romo isn't the only starting quarterback in the league this season who replaced an aging veteran in 2006. Washington's Jason Campbell supplanted the then 36-year-old Mark Brunell in Week 11 two seasons ago. The Washington quarterback has only taken part in one Cowboys-Redskins game in his career, when the Cowboys survived, 28-23, at Texas Stadium last season. Campbell threw for a career-high 348 yards in the Week 11 matchup and will attempt to do more of the same against a Cowboys defense which has allowed 207.7 passing yards per game this season, 19th in the NFL

After reading Tony Romo's 2½-game career stat-line against the Redskins, it's hard to imagine how the Cowboys are just 1-2 in games Romo has started against Washington. The Cowboys quarterback has completed 63.1 percent of his passes for 663 yards and six touchdowns, adding up to a 101.3 quarterback rating in the three contests. In last season's thriller in Texas Stadium, Romo threw for 293 yards and four touchdowns - Terrell Owens the recipient of all four scoring passes. With Romo jumping out to a hot start already this season, don't be surprised if the Pro Bowler carves up another Redskins secondary this Sunday.

Connections
Redskins kicker Shaun Suisham has quietly become a solid kicker in the NFL after missing two of his six kicks with the Cowboys in 2005 and 2006…Washington guard Jason Fabini suited up in 15 games for the Cowboys in 2006…Cowboys quarterback Brad Johnson had arguably his best season with the Redskins in 1999 throwing for more than 4,000 yards and 24 touchdowns . . . Evans spent two seasons with the Cowboys (2001-02).

Miscellaneous
If Cowboys running back Felix Jones scores another touchdown Sunday, he would extend his distinction of being the only Cowboys rookie to score a touchdown in his first three NFL games to four . . . The Cowboys own an all-time record of 32-12-2 at home against the Redskins . . . Sunday's game will mark Tony Romo's 30th career start. His 22-7 record is third best in league history for a quarterback making his first 29 starts . . . After three games, the Redskins rank 14th on offense and 13th on defense in the NFL . . . Washington currently leads the NFL in turnover differential with a plus 5, one fumble their only give-away this season. That means quarterback Jason Campbell has not been intercepted in 93 passes.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For some strange reason, Redskins CB Shawn Springs decided to publicly challenge T.O. As if the Original 81 didn't have enough motivation coming off a two-catch, 17-yard game.

"I have a track meet Sunday," Springs told the Washington Times. "I can't wait to see it. Me and Terrell 'Usain Bolt' Owens. I'm excited for it. He better be ready."
3 TD's for TO this weekend.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."

Last edited by ty; 09-25-2008 at 11:30 AM.
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
3 TD's for TO this weekend.
I love seeing smack talk returned to sender!

Old 09-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
For some strange reason, Redskins CB Shawn Springs decided to publicly challenge T.O. As if the Original 81 didn't have enough motivation coming off a two-catch, 17-yard game.

"I have a track meet Sunday," Springs told the Washington Times. "I can't wait to see it. Me and Terrell 'Usain Bolt' Owens. I'm excited for it. He better be ready."
Springs should shut up. He's not good enough to start talking smack.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I think the Boy win by less than 11. All in.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
Underdog

Default your best source of Cowboys news on a Mavericks site

Double Owens, But Beware Others Getting Open

link

IRVING, Texas - Terrell Owens has been in Miles Austin's position before. He, too, was a young, developing receiver who benefited from the extra attention defenses paid to his superstar teammate.

Owens fed off Jerry Rice's double teams in San Francisco years ago. This past Sunday, Austin was the latest Cowboys wideout to exploit Owens' double coverage, catching two passes for 115 yards and a touchdown in a 27-16 win over Green Bay.

The Packers consistently shaded a safety in Owens' direction and held him to two catches for 17 yards. The Cowboys countered with an effective running game (218 yards from Marion Barber and Felix Jones) and a democratic passing attack in which Tony Romo hit seven different receivers.

Owens was satisfied with his quiet night. His proof? The Cowboys' 3-0 record heading into Sunday's division game against the Redskins.

"As long as we're winning, I don't have a problem," Owens said. "If it's a situation where games are close and we're losing, then that's when I have a problem with it."

Austin, the third-year veteran from Monmouth, sealed the victory with a 52-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. Had he taken a different angle on his other 63-yard catch, he would have scored again.

Owens contributed in less flashy, more complementary ways - racing downfield to block on Jones' 60-yard touchdown run and helping corral Packers safety Nick Collins after Romo's end-zone interception.

"These are plays that are winning plays, that help you win the football game," Romo said. "People only see catches and stuff like that but those are the plays that determine outcomes of football games a lot of the time.

"I think he's just about winning. Obviously you want the ball; that's part of being a receiver. You find me a receiver who doesn't care if he ever catches the ball and I'll find you one who's not very good."

Owens expects defenses to double him every week. Last year, that didn't stop him from catching a franchise-record 16 TD passes. In some cases, teams get sick of watching tight end Jason Witten catch pass after pass over the middle and eventually place a single defender on Owens.

In that situation, the star receiver says, "I don't think I can be stopped."

"I already know going into the game that with the double-team coverage and stuff like that," Owens said. "It gets frustrating, but at the same time I know that other guys are making plays as you've seen thus far."

Romo Trying To Avoid Red Zone Mistakes

Tony Romo readily admits "it was hard out there" last Sunday against the Green Bay Packers' defense. Hard enough that the Pro Bowl quarterback had a relatively off night by his standards: 17-of-30 for 260 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Most quarterbacks would take those numbers, particularly if an impressive road win at Lambeau Field was part of the package.

Romo once again sits near the top of the NFC with a fourth-ranked 103.2 passer rating. The only glaring issue he has had is a pair of red-zone interceptions - one against Cleveland and most recently against Green Bay, when he forced a pass into three Packers defenders after Terrell Owens and Jason Witten ran a similar route into the middle of the end zone.

Romo blamed himself for a "little miscommunication" on that play, but said his mistakes sometimes are a by-product of the offense's assertive approach.

The third-year starter is averaging 9.70 yards per attempt, the highest in the NFC.

"We're very aggressive offensively," said Romo, who has thrown five touchdowns and three interceptions while completing 67.4 percent of his passes, second only to the Saints' Drew Brees (74.3) in the conference. "I think you have to find the right time for that. I'd like to think that I'm a quick learner. I'd like to think there won't be quite as many in the future."

Spencer, Hurd Could Return For 'Skins Game

Although the Cowboys will play without three starters (guard Kyle Kosier, safety Roy Williams, fullback Deon Anderson) on Sunday, there's a good chance key reserves Sam Hurd (ankle) and Anthony Spencer (knee) could return against the Redskins after participating fully in Wednesday's practice.

Hurd, a third-year receiver, hasn't played since suffering a high ankle sprain in the preseason finale. Spencer, a second-year linebacker and last year's first-round pick, played in Week Two against Philadelphia but was held out of last Sunday's win over Green Bay because of soreness in his surgically-repaired knee.

"I'm encouraged that he may play also," Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips said of Spencer, who would provide relief to starting outside linebackers Greg Ellis and DeMarcus Ware.

Hurd's return would give the Cowboys five healthy receivers for the first time all season.

Phillips said Anderson, who had his knee scoped last week, wouldn't be ready to return this week. Kosier will miss two-to-three weeks after re-injuring his foot against the Packers, and Williams is out another two-to-three weeks following surgery to stabilize a forearm fracture.

Williams' replacement at safety, Pat Watkins, had full participation despite aggravating a shoulder injury against the Packers. Phillips said nose tackle Tank Johnson was limited by a slight ankle sprain but should play Sunday.

Dime Look Could Slow Skins' Cooley

Redskins tight end Chris Cooley was playing at a high level long before finally earning his first Pro Bowl trip in February. The Cowboys saw how dangerous he could be way back in 2005, when he hauled in six catches for 71 yards and three touchdowns against them.

Those three scores on Dec. 18, 2005 remain a career record, and it's the only multiple touchdown game he has had. His performance during that 35-7 drubbing of the Cowboys signaled that he was one tight end who couldn't be overlooked, and he hasn't had nearly as much success against them since.

Well, the Cowboys may have a better battle plan than ever Sunday, when they move cornerback Anthony Henry in to cover him on passing downs. With the dime defensive look the team has been fairly successful covering tight ends through three games.

Green Bay's Donald Lee had five catches but only 41 yards Sunday. In week two Philly's L.J. Smith caught just one ball for 10 yards, and Kellen Winslow was virtually a non-factor in the opener. He caught Cleveland's lone touchdown pass, but finished with just five catches and 47 yards.

That said, Wade Phillips and the Cowboys have had their eye on how Washington deploys its star tight end.

"You still have to know where he is," Phillips said. "They don't do as much two tight end, three tight end as they have in the past. With only one tight end in the game, you know basically where he is. He's still effective and he's still a good receiver and blocker."

Deon Anxious

Anderson said his injured left knee feels much better and was moving around comfortably Wednesday, six days after having a piece of partially-loose cartilage removed from his left knee.

Anderson is anxious to return to practice, but doctors have yet to remove his surgical staples.

In the meantime, tight end Tony Curtis will continue handling Anderson's backfield blocking duties. Anderson said he hyper-extended his knee during a punt return against the Eagles, and the Cowboys decided a clean-up scope was necessary.

"Tony Curtis is holding it down," Anderson said, smiling.

Holland Getting Reps

With Kosier out again, Phillips has said Cory Procter will start again at left guard Sunday. But veteran Montrae Holland, acquired in a trade with Denver before the season, got some first-team reps in practice Wednesday and could also be active against the Redskins.

"Cory played well. He did some good things," Phillips said of Procter's two starts against the Browns and Eagles. "He had a couple holding penalties, so we need to get that cleaned up a little bit. But he did a good job for us.

"And we're still looking at Holland some. We're working him in there some. He's a veteran player that I think can go in and play."

Zach's Sack

Although the Cowboys called the NFL about crediting DeMarcus Ware with a third-quarter sack on Aaron Rodgers, who ran out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage, the league maintained that Zach Thomas technically caused the sack.

"They said that he would've kept running if Zach wouldn't have been there, that he ran out of bounds because of Zach," Phillips said.

Short Shots

The Redskins lead the league with a plus-five turnover margin . . . With eight catches on Sunday, wide receiver Terrell Owens would become the eighth player in league history to reach 900 career catches. One touchdown catch would move him into sole possession of seventh place on the Cowboys' all-time list (32).

Old 09-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #11
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I put everything I had on the boys.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #12
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfanforever
I put everything I had on the boys.
With an 11 point spread? Risky!

(the Redskins are ALWAYS a trap-game - if they go 1-15 and we go 15-1, chances are that "1" was a Dallas loss to Washington...)

Then again, we're at home and we totally pwn...

Old 09-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

I too put everything I had on the Boys... a King's ransom of 50 vbucks!

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #14
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
With an 11 point spread? Risky!

(the Redskins are ALWAYS a trap-game - if they go 1-15 and we go 15-1, chances are that "1" was a Dallas loss to Washington...)

Then again, we're at home and we totally pwn...
True. FSkins are always a trap. However, with our improved secondary, I don't think Santana Moss is going to score 2 TDs on us in 2 minutes again.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 09-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
True. FSkins are always a trap. However, with our improved secondary, I don't think Santana Moss is going to score 2 TDs on us in 2 minutes again.
Please don't make any further references to that game. I have blocked it from my memory and don't appreciate being reminded....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #16
ty
Diamond Member

heh heh heh

Old 09-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #17
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

We got the win this!! Come on Cowboys!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:29 PM   #18
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse900703
We got the win this!! Come on Cowboys!
what?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #19
Underdog

Redskins Learning New-Style Offense

link

IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys and Redskins will renew their storied rivalry at 3:15 p.m. (CDT) on Sunday in Texas Stadium, and while the Cowboys haven't changed much from last season, Washington sure has.

Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips is in his second year in Dallas but the Redskins guy, Jim Zorn, is just three games into his first head-coaching gig. Zorn's style of the West Coast offense is taking some time to get implemented.

"It's all 11 guys, the first game I took a lot of heat and the head coach took a lot of heat, but you know how that goes," Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell said. "You want to win, so when you lose, the quarterback always gets most of the blame. We still got a long ways to go."

But after a problematic first game against the reigning Super Bowl champions, the Giants beating the Redskins, 16-7, in the nationally-televised opener, the Redskins' offense appears to be catching on.

"We're all still kind of in learning mode just trying to progress as we go along," Zorn said. "I think (Campbell has) done a nice job of learning all the basics early in our mini-camp and OTAs and then when we got to training camp we started working on the details."

After gaining only 209 yards and scoring seven points against the Giants, Washington came out against New Orleans to score 29 points while gaining 455 yards in a come-from-behind 29-24 victory. The Redskins followed that up with the 24-17 victory over Arizona, gaining 323 yards while upping their record to 2-1 coming into their final regular-season appearance at Texas Stadium.

"We're still not where we want to be just yet. We're still growing as an offense, we're still learning, still doing a lot of different things week in and week out." Campbell said. "It's a process."

And while Zorn brings his West Coast offense to Washington, running back Clinton Portis still is a staple of the offense. When Portis gains more than 100 yards rushing the Redskins are 28-9, and when he scores at least two touchdowns they are 14-4. In the final game of the 2007 season, needing a win to qualify for the playoffs, Portis accomplished both in Washington's 27-6 victory over the Cowboys.

Cowboys safety Ken Hamlin played in Seattle for the first four seasons of his NFL career where Zorn was the quarterbacks coach from 2001-2007, having also begun his NFL quarterbacking career back in 1976 with the Seahawks after getting released the previous summer by the Cowboys.

"(Zorn) did a great job with Matt (Hasselbeck) and the guys out there in Seattle," Hamlin said. "I know he has a couple of tricks up his sleeve. I think you can see that he likes to throw the ball a lot. But I mean, you can't get away from the running game when you've got a guy like Clinton Portis."

Cowboys nose tackle Tank Johnson knows the importance of stopping the Redskins from successfully running the ball. Even though Portis has yet to produce a 100-yard game in 2008 - 248 yards in three games, including 96 against the Saints - Zorn still has him pounding the ball. The seventh-year running back averages just less than 22 carries a game.

"They're going to try to run the ball; they stick to their running game," Johnson said. "I don't care what the score is and what's going on, they stick to their running game which makes defenses have to respect everything they do."

As a quarterback, Campbell is also getting more comfortable in the NFL. He first became the Redskins' starter with seven games left in the 2006 season. Campbell went on to start the first 13 games of the 2007 campaign before suffering a knee injury, giving way to veteran Todd Collins.

But it's his starting job again, and he will be gunning for his first career victory over the Cowboys with improving numbers. The fourth-year quarterback ranks ninth in the NFL with a 110.1 QB rating, and most importantly has thrown four touchdown passes without suffering an interception yet.

"He's maturing as a quarterback," Johnson said. "It's his fourth year in the league, he's really maturing and it shows. He's making some incredible throws and he's keeping plays alive. He's another quarterback you're going to have to start watching out for as far as game-breaking ability, so we got to prepare for him like we did Rodgers, McNabb and Anderson."

After a shaky start in the first game, Campbell threw for 321 yards in the second game. He also has been at his best in fourth quarters, completing 71.9 percent of his passes for 331 yards and a 125.9 QB rating, ranking him second in the NFC. And on top of all that, Campbell is a mobile quarterback, so he's not a sitting duck back there in the pocket.

"I want a standing target," Johnson said. "As a D-lineman, I'm 310 pounds, so I don't really want to be chasing people around that much. But, these guys make you do that. That's why we get paid."

Johnson Practices; Hurd Good To Go

While Cowboys backup nose tackle Tank Johnson insists he's ready to roll in the Cowboys' 3:15 p.m. (CDT) matchup at Texas Stadium with NFC East rival Washington, he once again was limited in practice on Friday and the Cowboys are listing him as questionable on the NFL's official injury report.

Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips seemed optimistic Johnson would be ready for Game Four after missing Thursday's practice with the sprained ankle he suffered in the third quarter of the Green Bay game.

"He says he feels good," Phillips said.

And that is exactly what Johnson said following Friday's practice.

"I needed a little bit of rest to be successful on Sunday," Johnson said of missing Thursday's practice to work exclusively with Cowboys associate trainer Britt Brown and receive further treatment. "And I feel better than I did yesterday.

"I'll be fine and looking forward to the game on Sunday. I'll be my normal, regular self."

In case he isn't, the Cowboys have given starting left defensive end Marcus Spears some snaps at nose tackle behind starter Jay Ratliff. Spears worked some at nose tackle during training camp and in preseason games so the Cowboys could take a look at Ratliff playing left defensive end.

Johnson has six tackles in three games and has been valuable in the middle of the Cowboys' 3-4 alignment tying up blockers.

All The Rest

The Cowboys have three players listed as out for Sunday, along with Johnson questionable, but the four other players to show up on this Friday's injury report all are listed as probable for the Washington game.

And that includes wide receiver Sam Hurd, who suffered a high ankle sprain in the final preseason game. Hurd has missed the first three games this season but appears ready to go for the Washington game, having been listed as fully participating in practice all week for the first time.

"Good to go," Hurd said.

Now the Cowboys must decide if they want to keep all five of their receivers active, a decision because of injuries that they have not faced yet this season. Phillips said he could keep all five active, which would include Terrell Owens, Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin, Isaiah Stanback and Hurd. If he keeps just four, it would seem the decision would come down to Stanback or Hurd. Both players participate on special teams, Stanback so far serving as the off-returner on kickoffs.

Other players listed as probable this week and fully participating in practice are outside linebacker Anthony Spencer (knee), safety Pat Watkins (neck) and tight end Jason Witten (shoulder).

The Cowboys definitely know they will be without three starters, including safety Roy Williams (forearm), guard Kyle Kosher (foot) and fullback Deion Anderson (knee). Anderson has a chance of returning next week while Williams just began running and likely will miss at least another game (Cincinnati). Kosier, who reinjured his foot at the end of the Green Bay game, likely will miss another two to three weeks.

Injured Skins

The Washington Redskins injury situation has cleared up some. They have already known they would be without defensive end Jason Taylor and now likely rookie wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, who is being listed as doubtful with a sprained ankle.

Starting right tackle Stephon Heyer (shoulder) and starting strong-side linebacker Marcus Washington (hamstring) are questionable. Both players were limited all week. If Heyer doesn't start, and Redskins offensive line coach Joe Bugel seemed doubtful of that on Thursday, then the job goes back to nine-year starter Jon Jansen, who failed to retain his starting status after missing all last season following the broken leg and dislocated ankle he suffered in the 2007 opener.

Listed as probable with injuries are starting fullback Mike Sellers (thigh), who progressed to full participation on Friday, and nickel corner Fred Smoot (hip), who still was limited on Friday.

Taylor, who is married to Cowboys linebacker Zach Thomas' sister, had emergency surgery earlier in the week to relieve the compartment syndrome he suffered after getting severely kicked in the shin on Sunday. He could miss several more games.

Game Ball Award

There just might be a reason the Cowboys are ranked first in runs over right tackle: Marc Colombo.

The Cowboys starting right tackle, in the final year of his contract, was given a game ball for his play against the Green Bay Packers, and for good reason. Colombo has done a nice job protecting quarterback Tony Romo, but has excelled in run blocking, one of the main reasons the Cowboys are making a habit of running to the right.

According to NFL stats, the Cowboys have run over right tackle 20 times, right guard 17 and right end nine more times, giving them 46 of 85 planned runs to the right side.

"He's playing well," Phillips said of Colombo. "He plays with great technique and is really a smart guy.

"He keeps his guy from getting in on the play."

Felix Has A Chance “Four” History

Just how great of a start has Felix Jones had to his young career you ask? Well, with one more touchdown this week against the Redskins, the rookie from Arkansas will become just the fifth player since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970 to score a touchdown in his first four games. Jones has scored one touchdown in each of the first three weeks, the first NFL rookie to do so since both Donte’ Stallworth and Andre Davis accomplished the feat in 2002. Stallworth went on to score a fourth straight touchdown, joining the likes of Washington’s Charlie Brown (1982) and Buffalo’s Joe Cribbs (1980). However, Felix Jones may not be the only rookie to get himself in that mix. New York Jets wide receiver Chancey Stuckey has also scored a touchdown in his first three games, and will attempting to make NFL history as well. So currently, just four players have scored a touchdown in their first four games. By Sunday, the number could be up to six. Personally, I’d like to see Jones take his next reception to the house for a touchdown. Then he could have the distinction of saying he scored on his first NFL carry, his second career reception and his third career kickoff return.

Currently, Jones has just one reception for three yards.

Short Shots

The Cowboys have beaten the Redskins 11 of the last 12 times they have played at Texas Stadium, going back to a 21-10 victory in 1996. That Redskins' 14-13 comeback victory in 2005 is the Cowboys' only loss in the series at Texas Stadium the past 12 years . . . While this Cowboys-Redskins game is a 3:15 p.m. start on Fox, it might as well be a national broadcast since it's the only afternoon game on Fox. CBS has just two afternoon games, meaning Sunday's game at Texas Stadium should go to roughly 96 percent of the country . . . Terrell Owens is three touchdowns short of passing Marshall Faulk for fourth on the NFL's all-time career touchdown list. Owens currently has 134, the most by an active NFL player. Leading is Jerry Rice with 208, following by Emmitt Smith (175) and Marcus Allen (145).

Old 10-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #20
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

u2, did you find a line for the game this week? I can't find one where I normally look....Norm said it was Cowboys -17 just now.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 10-02-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #21
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
u2, did you find a line for the game this week? I can't find one where I normally look....Norm said it was Cowboys -17 just now.
Everyone has Dallas favored by 17 (WSEX, BetCRIS, Betus, Sportsbetting). For some reason I couldn't find a line from Bodog

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 10-02-2008 at 01:16 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #22
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah that's where I always look too (but I have to do it by proxy web site at work, so I didn't look anywhere else bc it's a pain...for some reason they don't want us gambling at work)