Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-15-2003, 11:27 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dave Bliss: Worthless. You will not believe this breaking news.....

Report: Taped Bliss conversations show cover-up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Dave Bliss is no longer the Baylor basketball coach. But the shockwaves keep coming.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported in its Saturday edition that Bliss directed a cover-up during the recent investigation into his program, and that his comments were caught on a hidden tape recorder by one of his assistant coaches.

According to the paper, Bliss wanted his players to provide false information concerning slain teammate Patrick Dennehy. The Baylor coaching staff had been accused of arranging payments for Dennehy's tuition, but Bliss asked his players to say Dennehy dealt drugs in order to pay for his tuition.

"What we've got to create here is drugs," Bliss said during one of those conversations, the Star-Telegram reported.

Bliss met with the Baylor investigating committee for more than two hours Friday night, the paper reported. Earlier in the day, assistant coach Abar Rouse, who taped the conversations, met with the committee.

After his meeting, Bliss told the newspaper that he was trying to "share some of the stories that I had heard, and I was completely wrong in what I did. But the bizarre circumstances painted me into a corner and I chose the wrong way to react. As of last Friday [Aug. 8], however, those days are over and I have co-operated completely and will continue to do so because I know I have disappointed a lot of people."

Baylor president Robert Sloan issued a statement Friday night saying he felt "betrayed by this attempt by our former basketball coach to suppress and conceal the truth. This further validates the work of our investigative attorneys, who in less than three weeks uncovered major violations, resulting in the resignation of Coach Bliss.

"I want to say to every member of the Baylor family that we will get to the bottom of this and will continue to communicate our findings in as open and transparent fashion as possible."

Rouse, a Baylor graduate who joined the Bears staff on June 1 as director of basketball operations, told the newspaper that he began recording his conversations because Bliss told him his job would be lost if he failed to cooperate. Rouse told Bliss he was reluctant to play along, but then received a copy of Bliss' contract in which the head coach had authority to hire and fire assistants.

The tapes also uncovered more attempts by Bliss to hide the truth during the allegations coming to light following Dennehy's death and the subsequent murder charge of former teammate Carlton Dotson.

Bliss, the tapes showed, knew that some players smoked marijuana and that Baylor coaches were not upfront about threats against Dennehy allegedly made by junior-college recruit Henry Thomas. Rouse made the tapes available to the Star-Telegram before meeting with the committee.

The counsel for Baylor's investigating committee, Kirk Watson, couldn't believe what he was hearing on the tapes.

"These tapes are evidence of a desperate person trying to cover up his activities. It is shocking. But the good news is it failed," Watson said. "Clearly, he was encouraging embellishment ... to try to cover himself. He used a lot of language to tell these young people that they would be all right if they embellished their stories."

Bliss resigned on Aug. 8, with Sloan declaring that the basketball program had committed "major" rules violations involving tuition and drug problems. Sloan has put the program on probation.

In the tapes, reports the Star-Telegram, Bliss said a perception could be made that Dennehy sold drugs to pay for his tuition. The tapes also revealed a conversation with Bliss and two players. Those players said they smoked marijuana with Dennehy, but neither ever saw him use or sell more potent drugs.

"First of all, nobody is ever going to know about the fact you might have smoked weed with the guys," Bliss told one player. "I think the thing we want to do -- and you think about this -- if there's a way we can create the perception that Pat may have been a dealer. Even if we had to kind of make some things look a little better than they are, that can save us."

The paper reported that during the same conversation, Bliss was hopeful the plan could work because Dennehy was not alive to refute it.

"You don't even have to tell me about Dotson because he's still alive," Bliss said. "But Dennehy is never going to refute what we say. "I've got some things to say about him, because he came in and tried to get me to help him with something, and I told him, `I can't help you.' Now I know that ticked him off, but he knows that's the truth. And now he's dead, so he isn't going to argue with me at all."

Dennehy's stepfather, Brian Brabazon, was angry when learning about the conversations on the tapes.

"You know what? Somebody is going down, because that is bull talking like that, especially trying to besmirch my son's name when he is dead," Brabazon told the newspaper.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2003, 11:28 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

As hard as any school may try to comply, you cannot fight crap like this. I am so pissed at Bliss right now.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:35 PM   #3
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

That is absolutely disgusting.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 11:36 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

I feel sucker punched. I hope the NCAA bans Bliss for life.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:40 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Good lord what is wrong with him? This is the most pathetic thing I have read in a long time.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 11:41 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

I am so pissed right now. You cannot believe how mad I am. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2003, 12:08 AM   #7
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

That is horrible. I hope he does go down in some way. There can be criminal charges, right?
Old 08-16-2003, 12:18 AM   #8
Drbio
Banned

I hope so.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:37 AM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I'm speechless. This is just sick. No other words to describe it. What a made for TV movie this would make. Just ridiculous.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 01:16 AM   #10
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve
Default RE: Dave Bliss: Worthless. You will not believe this breaking news.....

Bliss should be jailed, there is no room for this type of nonsense in the world today. What is Bliss's problem? Why would he do such a thing?
Old 08-16-2003, 01:30 AM   #11
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road

I'm sure conspiracy to obstuct justice charges will be forthcoming.

Wow. This blows me away. First Kobe and his perfect track record and now Bliss and 30 years of perfect track record. I guess that just goes to show, how much nobody knows what levels people will stoop to.

Damn, this is just sorry. I thought this guy was just caught in a very bad situation and lost his job because of it. Now I hope he goes to jail. What a sorry bastard.
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 10:29 AM   #12
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think that will be necessary. I don't think any teams will touch him after this. His coaching career is as good as over with a ban or without one.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 11:32 AM   #13
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

"You don't even have to tell me about Dotson because he's still alive," Bliss said. "But Dennehy is never going to refute what we say. "I've got some things to say about him, because he came in and tried to get me to help him with something, and I told him, `I can't help you.' Now I know that ticked him off, but he knows that's the truth. And now he's dead, so he isn't going to argue with me at all."

I really hope he made these comments after Dotson had confessed, otherwise how would he know Dennehy was dead. Maybe he just assumed it, but at this point nothing would surprise me.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 11:52 AM   #14
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: grbh

I really hope he made these comments after Dotson had confessed, otherwise how would he know Dennehy was dead. Maybe he just assumed it, but at this point nothing would surprise me.

I didn't even think about that. This story is just sick. I wish no one to go to jail but this is the first time I hope someone is jailed.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 05:22 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: grbh

Oh man...I didn't think about that. This gets worse by the second.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:41 PM   #16
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

He was high when said that.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:36 PM   #17
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

DOC, whats your opinion on just killing the BBall program. IMO nothing good is going to come from having it, and all the players are ready to bail. They will not be able to recruit, and every mention of Baylor is going to be negative for years to come. Should they shut it down (for awhile at least) and focus their energy on rebuiding the Football program, and the schools overall image??

i know it's a harsh step, and it sounds like giving up, but do you think it's a viable option?
Old 08-16-2003, 11:52 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

211- I think it would be a monumental mistake and a huge knee jerk. We can field teams and play through this. There is no way that this will happen. It is not Baylor's fault per se that this occurred. No university in the world could have protected themselves against Bliss's actions. To quit shows no conviction to doing things the right way. I am 100% convinced that Baylor will continue on and that they will do things the right way in the future.

Old 08-17-2003, 12:43 AM   #19
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

that actually makes me physically sick. and we're talking about Baylor, conservative Christian Baylor. As for the basketball program, I don't think anything but a change of conference will save it. I think some of the improprieties that are coming to light are a result of Baylor trying unsuccessfully to compete with all the big state schools.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 10:41 AM   #20
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Bliss turns into a bad guy
01:07 AM CDT on Sunday, August 17, 2003
Tim Cowlishaw

The truth is that, much of the time, we guess. We think we know, but we really don't.

We say that the football coach is a bad guy, but it's because he pays us no attention and because his quotes are drier than practice field dirt. We say the hockey coach is a great guy, but it's because he tells us stuff off the record that enables us to write more "enlightened" stories.

For 20 years, Dave Bliss held a place in the "good guy" category for me. There was always an asterisk next to the good guy, but it didn't seem significant.

Stories that Bliss did nothing when one of his SMU players hit another player on a bus ride home because he wouldn't turn off his overhead light. Stories of recruiting improprieties.

This was how it began. The little stuff, mostly.

The stories got bigger but stopped short of major NCAA violations when Bliss was out of local sight in New Mexico. Still, there was the smile, the love of the Yankees, the self-deprecating humor, the apparent lack of a big-time college ego.

Today, Bliss' career is over. And it's in ruins. And he has become a buzzword for egregious behavior.

Jerry Tarkanian, move over. You, sir, are small potatoes compared to Mr. Bliss.

To pull a Dave Bliss, as of two days ago, is to be caught on tape lying red-handed in such a thoughtless and insensitive manner that you will never work again. It may be a story of a different magnitude, but there is nothing Richard Nixon ever said on tape that is as damning as Bliss scheming to paint a dead player as a former drug dealer in order to save the coaching staff's hides.

You wonder what the world of big-time athletics and the pressure to win does to people. You understand how the NCAA regulations, so at odds with the reality of the modern student-athlete, forces coaches to live on the edge of the rules.

If Bliss were guilty of having paid players' tuition out of his own pocket, once he had to take them off scholarship, I would consider that a good and noble thing. It's a major NCAA violation, sure, but it's also a reasonable gesture of good will.

And that's what at least a big part of this sad, sad Patrick Dennehy tale sounded like until this weekend when the dam burst. That's when we learned Bliss encouraged players and assistants to concoct stories about Dennehy as a drug dealer because Dennehy was dead, anyway, and he wasn't going to refute their lies.

That's when we learned Bliss knew players were doing drugs and did nothing about it.

That's when we learned Bliss still believed he had no culpability in the fact that one of his players was dead and another ex-player was in jail charged with the murder and another player coming to Baylor had allegedly issued threats against the dead player that Bliss had ignored.

Bliss is down for the count now, with no future in coaching, no future in broadcasting, no hope of being remembered for much of anything he ever accomplished at Oklahoma or SMU or New Mexico. Only for how it ended at Baylor and how he was willing to smear the character of a dead 21-year-old if it might save his job, which paid Bliss in excess of $500,000 a year.

While Bliss takes more than a well-deserved fall from grace, it should be remembered by those in charge of Baylor's coaching search that ridding the school of Bliss and athletic director Tom Stanton does not end the story.

The word that the committee is working quickly to find a coach, hoping to keep players from transferring, is absurd. What's Baylor going to win this year, the Big 12?

Why are some of the same people who hired Bliss as the man to save the Baylor program in charge of this search? Don't you have to hire a clean-the-house athletic director first before worrying about whether the Bears can get to fifth in the Big 12 South ahead of Texas A&M this winter?

And Board of Regents chairman Drayton McLane Jr. says he's concerned about press leaks. That's Baylor's biggest worry right now?

Baylor men's basketball coaches have traveled a seedy path too many times. In the '80s, it was Jim Haller caught paying players with his own money ā€“ even a personal check. NCAA probation and post-season sanctions followed.

In the '90s, three assistants for coach Darrel Johnson were found guilty of wire fraud and conspiracy as they tried to gain eligibility for four junior college transfers through questionable correspondence courses. NCAA probation and sanctions followed.

Those were bad deals, and this is far worse, and this is supposed to be a school that is representative of the Baptist community.

Maybe Baylor as an entity isn't in as big a trouble today as Bliss is personally. But that could change if those in charge of rebuilding the program don't take every precaution to make certain they don't hire another Dave Bliss.

The original Dave Bliss just became an untouchable.

And a bad guy.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:39 AM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
I don't think anything but a change of conference will save it.
Hello knee jerk. Conferences aren't about football and basketball....although that is where the publicity is generated. Conferences align schools on many more important fronts than basketball or football. A change of conference does nothing.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:54 AM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldn't mind seeing baylor in a conference with:
UNT, TCU, TWU, UTEP, Rice, Houston, Tulsa, Tulane...yada yada...not necessarily all of those, but a local conference would be good for all involved.

however, i have no problem with baylor being in the big 12

should they kill the basketball program? no, of course not. you shouldn't kill a basketball program because of paying a couple of players, a playing being murdered and a head coach with the sensitivity of Gordon Keith.

the biggest issues here are NOT NCAA violations. They are crimes against humanity.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 12:46 PM   #23
Drbio
Banned

And no school in the world can protect themselves against those crimes when a head coach is entrusted with a program. Noone will dispute giving Bliss control of the basketball program because it took that to hire him. Many schools do the exact same thing. So, bringing him here was not the fault of the school. He was known until now as a credible and upstanding coach (which makes this all the more confusing). No school can foresee a guy commiting immoral acts and likely criminal acts. No school can truly protect themselves from the behind the scenes actions of an immoral man.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:57 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you blame the Lakers for having a SG that possibly raped a girl in Colorado?

Nope

Some things you cannot control. Let's not throw Baylor under the bus for certain transgressions that they cannot control. I'm sure the NCAA will focus on the facts in the case that only pertain to actual NCAA violations.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 04:59 PM   #25
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think anything but a change of conference will save it.
Hello knee jerk. Conferences aren't about football and basketball....although that is where the publicity is generated. Conferences align schools on many more important fronts than basketball or football. A change of conference does nothing.
You're right, but speaking strictly from and athletics point of view a change might produce some positives. Also i'm not excusing anything Bliss has done, just pointing out that there is a right way and a wrong way to handle a high pressure position. If they do remain in the Big 12, then everyone on that coaching staff who condoned and/or turned a blind eye toward Bliss's antics.

No one but Bliss should be thrown under the proverbial bus. (and then backed over several times, metaphorically speaking, of course)

Old 08-17-2003, 07:59 PM   #26
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
No one but Bliss should be thrown under the proverbial bus. (and then backed over several times, metaphorically speaking, of course)
Take away the metaphorically part and I agree. We will pay for what Bliss did. Is it fair? No, not really. But, as an institution of morals and integrity, we must work through it and move on. The athletics part of your post is of course easy to consider in the current day. However, I have every confidence in Coach Morris (football) and whoever replaces Bliss to turn things around, at which time it would make no sense absolutely. Plus, Baylor has consistently ranked in the top half of the all sports rankings since the Big 12 was formed. Our athletics programs are ok. Football and mens hoops just get all the pub.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:42 AM   #27
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

so Doc, you are a present/former Bear then?

Old 08-18-2003, 11:15 AM   #28
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Doc, what is the status of Assistant coach Doug Ash? did he have any part of this? I know him very well from his days at SMU with Bliss and know his family very well. His son, Mike and I grew up together playing ball. He has been loyal to Bliss for over 20 years, but I just can't see him having any part of this. Maybe I'm wrong, but do you know anything?
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 07:52 AM   #29
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

For whatever reason, Dave Bliss has always reminded me of that coach in the 1977 Robby Benson movie 'One on One', played by G.D.Spradlin (who incidentally played Sen. Frank Geary in The Godfather II--you know, the one who dissed Michael Corleone in his own home in Tahoe, and then woke up in a hotel room with a call girl butchered beside him, and later defended the Corleone family before the Senate investigative committee).

Anyway, a line from the film 'One on One' comes to mind, uttered as a threat from coach to player early in the film, then reciprocated late in the film from player to coach. Context should be imaginable:

"All the way up, with a red hot poker."

Cheers, Brother Bliss.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 11:46 AM   #30
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
that actually makes me physically sick. and we're talking about Baylor, conservative Christian Baylor. As for the basketball program, I don't think anything but a change of conference will save it. I think some of the improprieties that are coming to light are a result of Baylor trying unsuccessfully to compete with all the big state schools.
Ahhh, the great change conferences idea finely pops up. Never happen. Never going to happen. Conferences aren't about winning or losing. They are about cash. Plain and simple. I don't think people realize the monetary difference between being in a BCS conference and being in an also-ran conference.

Baylor leaves the Big 12, they don't get Big 12 cash. And that will hurt them far worse than anything the NCAA will do to them. The Big 12 may leave Baylor sometime, but Baylor will never leave the Big 12.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. ā€“ Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:55 PM   #31
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

And to make it worse...after Bliss found out that he was taped...he went, tape recorder in hand and started banging on the front doors of certain players apartments.

Doc...does Bliss have a drinking problem or something ?

That was the CONSTANT rumor when he was here at SMU.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:05 PM   #32
Drbio
Banned

I think he has just lost it.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:06 PM   #33
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Crippler
Doc, what is the status of Assistant coach Doug Ash? did he have any part of this? I know him very well from his days at SMU with Bliss and know his family very well. His son, Mike and I grew up together playing ball. He has been loyal to Bliss for over 20 years, but I just can't see him having any part of this. Maybe I'm wrong, but do you know anything?
Ash was asked to bridge the time between Bliss and the new coach. All other coaches are gone. Take that as you will, but to me it says he had no idea.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:26 PM   #34
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Doc...does Bliss have a drinking problem or something ?
I wanted to float a thought I have been having. Bliss has totally lost all ability to think rationally. It would not surprise me if he were to commit suicide. I hatet his thought, but people who act out like he has often fall tremendously hard. Suicide should be a concern for those who know Bliss.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:35 AM   #35
Drbio
Banned

I just thought about something else as I was reading another of EvilMav2's quality posts and saw his signature that includes Bobby Knight's picture. Bobby Knight was responsible for leading Bliss into college coaching and was his boss for many years. I wonder what he thinks about this mess. I haven't seen anything from him on the subject.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:22 AM   #36
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Quote:
211- I think it would be a monumental mistake and a huge knee jerk. We can field teams and play through this. There is no way that this will happen. It is not Baylor's fault per se that this occurred. No university in the world could have protected themselves against Bliss's actions. To quit shows no conviction to doing things the right way. I am 100% convinced that Baylor will continue on and that they will do things the right way in the future.

doc, i know it be a huge overeraction, but something besides just hiring a new coach and AD has to be done. this program has had dirty coaches for what, the last 10 years, and still Baylor puts together the same comitee to look for a replacement. IMO someting else has to be done. There is obviously something wrong with the whole set up, and a clean sweep needs to happen. the players are leaving on their own, the coaches are fired, the AD resigned, now something needs to be about the Boosters and even the president. As an outsider looking in, who lives in WACO, there is little compassion for what is going on there(except for Dennehy). I think a lot of people find it hard to believe that the university is as innocent as they are playing themselves to be. With the tons of info coming out now, and the secreatary trying to go to officials (and the shitty paper), you'd have to think that something could have been done.
Even though i'm not a BAylor fan, i hope the football program has some success, and starts to slowly put this into the back of people's minds. It's no good for anyone.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:37 PM   #37
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Just211
Quote:

doc, i know it be a huge overeraction, but something besides just hiring a new coach and AD has to be done. this program has had dirty coaches for what, the last 10 years, and still Baylor puts together the same comitee to look for a replacement. IMO someting else has to be done. There is obviously something wrong with the whole set up, and a clean sweep needs to happen. the players are leaving on their own, the coaches are fired, the AD resigned, now something needs to be about the Boosters and even the president. As an outsider looking in, who lives in WACO, there is little compassion for what is going on there(except for Dennehy). I think a lot of people find it hard to believe that the university is as innocent as they are playing themselves to be. With the tons of info coming out now, and the secreatary trying to go to officials (and the shitty paper), you'd have to think that something could have been done.
Even though i'm not a BAylor fan, i hope the football program has some success, and starts to slowly put this into the back of people's minds. It's no good for anyone.

The fact of the matter is that Baylor will field a team. Period. That is already determined. Your assertion that the coaches have been "dirty for 10 years" is incorrect. Harry Miller ran a very clean program and a fairly successful one too. He was a gentleman and was squeaky clean. I'm tired of people bashing Baylor because they are down. It's easy to take shots at them now because so much crap is flying around. Some of it's true, a lot of it is not. For instance, you say something needs to be done about the boosters . Why? There is not one shred of evidence that any booster had anything to do with anything. As a matter of fact, the fact (yes fact) is that the primary high dollar boosters are lining up to open up their records to the committee. Several have openly shared that information wiht the media. Baylor is running a very transparent and open investigation and the vast majority of all facts are out in the open. That is what they must continue to do. Baylor should be commended on the way this investigation ahs been run.

Now about the players. I cannot blame them one bit for leaving. Many of these young men have chances to play elsewhere and be eligible for post season play. We will not play in the post season for two years minimum. Baylor has supproted these young men and have petitioned the NCAA and Big 12 to waive all transfer rules on their behalf. Why? Because we recognize that Coach Bliss is the only one who is at fault here. The kids are not. They should not be penalized. In some cases, we have made contact at other institutions on behalf of the player. It's hard, but it is the right thing to do.

The former secretary clearly has an anti-Baylor agenda. Listen to her rants and it is clear. Her coming out to a newspaper is unfortunate and she wouldn't have done so without this sick opportunity. I know the director of personnel very well and I can say with 100% confidence that she shot herself in the foot when she alleged he would not act on her behalf. He is so well known here for his work ethic it's not funny. She MAY have had a beef had she not lied about this. She blew it.

The President. President Sloan has done a very admiral job handling an incredibly complex and disturbing situation. He has maintained his integrity, honor and values throughout this entire process. He was lied to and when he spoke on behalf of a man he entrusted our program to, a man with a previously sterling reputation, he did it thinking that he could be trusted. Noone in the world could have seen Bliss coming. Bliss is a scheming lying monster and he should be jailed. President Sloan should be commended for his leadership during an incredibly trying situation.

You are right. The Waco Trib sucks balls. I appreciate your coment about the football team. I am hoping that they can help start the healing process.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:56 AM   #38
MFFL
Guru

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/sports/6662167.htm

Posted on Sun, Aug. 31, 2003
Postcards From the Ledge
By Jim Reeves
Star-Telegram

The honest man

Shame on Baylor.

Most of us have tried to give the school a bit of a break, figuring Dave Bliss pulled the wool over administrators' eyes just as he did many of us in the media.

But the firing of assistant coach Abar Rouse, who provided the tapes that uncovered Bliss' attempts at a cover-up, was hardly the way to respond to the one person who tried to do the right thing.

Talk about shooting the messenger ...

It's certainly common for new coaches like Scott Drew to fill out their own staffs, and Rouse's presence might have been uncomfortable for a few players or other coaches. But it's that kind of discomfort our college athletic programs need.

If an honest man makes someone uncomfortable, more power to him.

There should be a place at Baylor for Abar Rouse. How much worse might this tragic situation have become without him? How much more dirt might have been swept under the rug?

And how did the university repay him for his honesty? With a pink slip.

Thanks a lot.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:07 PM   #39
Drbio
Banned

That is a very dishonest artcle. Rouse was offered a position at the university, HOWEVER, it was not in the basketball department. The new coach gets to pick his own assistants. It is the way it goes in EVERY school in the nation. Save NONE. Reeves is an idiot for writing this piece without doing a ltitle research. Shame on him.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:07 PM   #40
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
That is a very dishonest artcle. Rouse was offered a position at the university, HOWEVER, it was not in the basketball department. The new coach gets to pick his own assistants. It is the way it goes in EVERY school in the nation. Save NONE. Reeves is an idiot for writing this piece without doing a ltitle research. Shame on him.
Was the job offered at the same pay scale? Did it have opportunities for improvement? Was the raise scale the same? Was it even a job in athletics or was it a token job in another department. Until I hear more about this job that he was offered then I tend to agree with Reeves.